Home

Koro wolf traps fail...

Posted By: yukon254

Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/12/19 09:15 PM

So I just got a note from the fellow that designed and builds the Koro wolf trap. Apparently it failed the Canadian trap certification process. They want him to reduce spring pressure by about 30% among other things.

This highlights the stupidity of the certification process. I talked to the guy in charge of the testing on this trap a couple years ago and they were having trouble catching enough wolves at that time. My question to him ( that he couldnt answer) was how in the world can the Victor #3 soft catch with 4 coil springs be "certified" for wolves if they actually have to catch wolves in them. The Victor #3 is in fact certified and no one has caught any number of wolves with it....it isn't a wolf trap...period. The changes they want made to the Koro would ruin it. I think I can safely say that I have caught more wolves in the Koro than any single trapper in Canada. They are first class traps. Miles ahead of the Brawn that was one of the first wolf traps certified in Canada.

This is what happens when the Govt gets involved. Canadian trappers got the shaft with the certification process and should have fought it tooth and nail. The 30 Koro wolf traps I own will become illegal to use very soon. Anyone think I will be reimbursed ?? I wont be holding my breath. Its a real travesty in my opinion and one of the best tools available to Canadian trappers has just been taken off the table by a bunch of people who obviously havent the slightest clue what they are doing...
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/12/19 09:33 PM

Last year they were at 10 of the 12 wolves needed.....so this year the last 2 failed.?
What do they think that we have a live market for wolves....Toronto politicks at is best....
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/12/19 11:44 PM

Geez... what a shame. The Koro is about my favorite wolf trap.
If they 'dumb down' the trap strength and design, I won't buy another!
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 01:26 AM

How much you want for them? 😖
Posted By: Boco

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 01:40 AM

Hang on to all your old strong inhumane ones Yukon,you can sell them in the states.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 02:05 AM

A trapper calling anothers trappers traps "inhumane"That's rich.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 03:14 AM

I was being facetious,obviously you didnt catch the inflection.
Your quick with the snarky remarks,obviously there was no problem with those traps except they didnt meet the humane standard.
They were told how to get them to pass.Your bee buddy Jim can fill you in he was/is on the trdc for the institute.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 03:51 AM

The worst trap I've ever used as far as foot damage goes is the Brawn #9. I've got a bunch of pictures that show what can happen with that piece of junk. My problem with the whole deal is that, that trap is certified....as is the Victor #3 with 4 coil springs! Any trapper that considers the Victor an adequate wolf trap or would certify it for use on wolves is someone I dont want to hear from because all they are doing is pushing hot air. The fact is obviously someone did....same with the Brawn. If you dont see a problem with that.....well all I can say is thats exactly why we are in the mess were in...my catch would go way down IF I only used the 'certified' traps on the list. Maybe thats the idea ....

I've caught a lot of wolves in legholds and you will get better catches and less damage with the Koro or the AK#9. The lesser traps just dont come up through the snow well enough and you end up with real low or even toe catches.

This is a classic catch with a Koro #9. It just doesn't get any better.

[Linked Image]

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I was being facetious,obviously you didnt catch the inflection.
Your quick with the snarky remarks,obviously there was no problem with those traps except they didnt meet the humane standard.

Sorry Bozo, since you regularly bash us for our marten traps
I figured it was just another one of your stupid opinions.
Carry on.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 04:03 AM

Your sorry all right.Sorry ---

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 04:15 AM

Shouldn't you get ready Christmas is coming soon.lol
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 06:05 AM

So the issue is too much "trauma" or what? The #9 is legal, right? Is the Koro really that much stronger or faster?

I've got one of those traps, haven't connected with it yet. It was out all last year in the wrong place, lol. Let me know if you need to get rid of some of them!

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by smalltimetrapper
So the issue is too much "trauma" or what? The #9 is legal, right? Is the Koro really that much stronger or faster?

I've got one of those traps, haven't connected with it yet. It was out all last year in the wrong place, lol. Let me know if you need to get rid of some of them!

Nate, during the testing phase before a trap is certified every wolf caught has to be examined by a veterinarian. I have no idea what they look for, but I offered to try to help get these traps certified a couple years ago when the process was stalled and thats what the guy told me. I see very little trauma with the Koro. The Koro and Alaskan #9 are essentially the same trap. The dogless design of the Koro gives it a slight advantage in my opinion.

No neither the Alaskan or the Koro is legal here now. The "humane" trapping standards Canadian trappers agreed to was phased in over a number of years, and now wolves can only be taken with "approved" traps. At least here in Yukon. Thats why the Koro fellow was trying to get his trap approved before the deadline. Trappers like myself who have a lot of open ice to trap on are going to have a tough go trying to catch wolves with the approved traps.

The entire sordid deal doesn't surprise me in the least. When I was a race judge on the Yukon Quest dog race we had our share of disagreements with the city veterinarians and some of their ideas, luckily on that endeavour a race judge has the power to override a vets decision. In this deal the trappers have no say whatsoever. The trappers that supported this mess certainly didnt do the rest of us any favours and it amazes me that some of them still seem to agree with; or have no problem with decisions like this. If enough of us pushed back we might be able to change the process but thats never going to happen. I have no problem using better tools, but dont take away the best tools available to me and force me to use junk....thats exactly whats happening in this case.

When you see they have the #3 certified for wolves the only conclusion you can come too, is that someone knew someone or paid someone to certify that trap because there is no way that trap caught the number of wolves the Koro had to during testing. When I asked the guy about it, he got very evasive and didnt want to talk about it. I know why it was certified, at least I know a big part of the reason and it wasn't because it passed any tests...
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 01:45 PM

Yukon, I'd keep using them and tell them that you took a torch to the springs to fulfill the "30%" weaker springs....who's measuring them?
AND did the Newhouse wolf traps get certified?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 02:02 PM

Interesting fact is they had to do some wolf trapping in Europe, oh wait they don't have any Certified traps to use. What a cluster boom it was.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Yukon, I'd keep using them and tell them that you took a torch to the springs to fulfill the "30%" weaker springs....who's measuring them?
AND did the Newhouse wolf traps get certified?

Good idea. I might just do that. I know a lot of trappers still use the 120 Victors for marten, because they are legal for mink. Marten sets just become mink sets as needed. A few guys did take a torch to the springs on some of the earlier marten traps that were so strong they would crush your hand if you made a mistake.

I dont see the Newhouse listed so I would say its not certified. I know the certification process costs the trap manufacturer quite a bit of money so thats going to complicate things too. It doesn't take much of an imagination to realize how beneficial it would be for a certain trap to be certified when others are not. Do the testers have any biases or anything to gain one way or another is a legitimate question, but one few will ask.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 02:40 PM

Yukon,you need to get a hold of Jim Gibb.
Jim is a trapper and a stand up guy.He has been on trap research and development for many years .
There are standards that need to be met before a trap is approved.Jim and the crew work hard to get traps to meet or exceed the standard.
The standards are in the agreement.It sounds as if a bit of tweaking by the manufacturer will allow it to meet the standards.
Jim can answer all your questions a lot better than I can,as he is actually involved in the process.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 02:53 PM

[Linked Image]
Yukon the catch picture you show is not the best.Too high on the foot.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 03:02 PM

Yukon,you need to get a hold of Jim Gibb.
Jim is a trapper and a stand up guy.He has been on trap research and development for many years .
There are standards that need to be met before a trap is approved.Jim and the crew work hard to get traps to meet or exceed the standard.
The standards are in the agreement.It sounds as if a bit of tweaking by the manufacturer will allow it to meet the standards.
Jim can answer all your questions a lot better than I can,as he is actually involved in the process.

Boco I dont know if Jim was involved in the Koro certification? He wasn't the guy I talked too. My point is only that the process is flawed, at least in this case. I got involved with the Koro's early on, and I know I have more real world experience with that trap than anyone. At the time I talked to the guy doing the testing I had caught more than double the number of wolves he had in that trap. Its the best tool we have as far as legholds go. The "tweaking" they want done will ruin the trap. A good wolf trap needs to be able to come up through the snow and still make a good high catch. Canada is a big country and the environments trappers work in are much different from one coast to coast. When I brought this up with the fellow doing the testing, he readily agreed. Thats another flaw in the system, just because a trap will work for a guy in Ontario it might not work so well for a trapper up here. Most of my wolf traps are set out on large expanses of ice. It takes a lot of power to come up through that windblown crusted snow. The MB750s are totally useless to me. Ive tried them many times. They are cheaper so it would be nice if they would work, but they wont. The Brawn isn't any better. I caught a young male in one last year. Although the trap held him, it had only gotten him by two toes. A larger wolf would have pulled out...

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 03:04 PM

[Linked Image]
Yukon the catch picture you show is not the best.Too high on the foot.

See thats the problem....that picture is total nonsense. I couldnt disagree with that more.....you want foot damage, catch them low like that.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 03:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Heres a lower catch with an Alaskan #9 like the diagram you posted shows as optimal.......which catch looks more humane to you???? The Alaskan will usually get them higher but the snow conditions were extreme in this case. I've seen a lot of wolves feet in traps and the higher the catch the less damage you will see. The foot wont even freeze if you get them high.

I remember when they didnt like a double strike on marten too, now we know the double strike is far better, and more humane.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 03:17 PM

These are the optimum strike locations as assessed by the veterinary scientists and the wolf trappers that work with the trdc.
And in my own experience with foottrapping the pad catch is the best for no foot damage.
There are some excellent wolf trappers associated with the FIC representing trappers.
I imagine you might know some.Are they as good as you? Most likely.
Your pictures mean nothing-it depends on how long the animal is in the trap.And a pass is 8 out of 10,no requirement for 100% in the real world.There is tons of data,like I said contact Gibb.He knows the data,I dont think he could release actual numbers but he can let you know about the process.
I dont think you should be disparaging the professional trappers involved with the fic from all across Canada in a roundabout way by disparaging the excellent work of the Fur Institute.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 03:33 PM

These are the optimum strike locations as assessed by the veterinary scientists and the wolf trappers that work with the trdc.
And in my own experience with foottrapping the pad catch is the best for no foot damage.
There are some excellent wolf trappers associated with the FIC representing trappers.
I imagine you might know some.Are they as good as you? Most likely.
Your pictures mean nothing-it depends on how long the animal is in the trap.There is tons of data,like I said contact Gibb.He knows the data,I dont think he could release actual numbers but he can let you know about the process.

In the case of the Koro I disagree. There isn't 'tons' of data. It took them years to catch the numbers they needed and NONE were caught up here even though we offered to help. During the time they were doing the testing on the Koro, two trappers up here caught more than double the number of animals they did. The pictures I posted mean something to me because thats what I see on a regular basis. There isn't one shred of doubt in my mind which catch is more humane. A couple years ago I caught my daughters 30-pound dog in a Koro pee post set. That trap was up above the ankle and the dog didnt even limp when I released her. Another trap that shows a lot of promise is the Sleepy Creek 4-1/2 . My son has caught quite a few wolves with them now and he says they do very little damage as well.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 03:45 PM

I dont want to get into any argument,just trying to let you know how the process works.
Like I said,get a hold of Gibb he can fill you in.
There is a reason why that trap did not pass the standard.
I havent footholded any wolves in quite a few years now,but like to have the option.
Guys like Gord Klassen take tons of wolves and is on the fic.Lots of Canadian trappers take thousands of wolves.Most dont go on forums or write for magazines but are top notch wolfers just the same.
Posted By: white17

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 04:12 PM

So if the trap manufacturer has to pay to have his trap tested, 2 questions come to mind.

1. Who pays the people testing the traps ?

2. Isn't it possible that the best traps may never be tested.......or certified ?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 04:16 PM

I dont want to get into any argument,just trying to let you know how the process works.
Like I said,get a hold of Gibb he can fill you in.
There is a reason why that trap did not pass the standard.
I havent footholded any wolves in quite a few years now,but like to have the option.
Guys like Gord Klassen take tons of wolves and is on the fic.Lots of Canadian trappers take thousands of wolves.Most dont go on forums or write for magazines but are top notch wolfers just the same.

Boco, I realize how the process works, and yes I know a lot of real good wolf trappers including Gordy. Gordy and I took the same wolf trapping course up in Alaska years ago together. Gordy does a lot of writing BTW

I respect your knowledge and experience as a trapper. You are hands down one of the best fur handlers in the country. But trying to defend a decision like this just because you like the program in its entirety isn't rational. We both remember the preferred strike location they originally wanted us to target on marten. The double strike was taboo....we now know that was wrong. A double strike is preferred.

Same goes for the nonsense we were fed that if we adopted the new new standards our fur would be worth more......at the same time they were telling us this BS fur from Alaska was being sold at the sae sales ours was and still is. The type of trap used has no bearing on that end of things. To say otherwise now is lucdirous.

The fact is that most wolf trappers use snares. I do as well, but in my case I have a couple of large lakes where I trap and snares are just not effective there in most cases. Traps are, so thats what I use.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 04:47 PM

I believe the trdc wants to pass traps,but the traps must meet or exceed the standard.
That is why they offer the advice to the manufacturers to help them tweak the design to get them to pass.
I was involved in the early testing of marten traps and all the data showed double strikes on marten were good,in fact near the top.I can dig up that old study,that was in 89-90.I am not aware of anywhere that says a double strike not too far back is not optimal.
Just fyi there are at least a dozen real good wolf trappers in the Kapuskasing/Cochrane councils here.I dont consider myself in their league at all.
I hope the Koro can get passed in the near future.
I agree with you on the 3 victor-it is not a wolf trap for the northern trapper.But there is the deer eating wolf in the south where that trap will work,so why not have another tool that some trappers in the south can use?It doesnt mean you have to use that trap.Some guys like W-17 likes the mb750,and I have trapped 3 wolves with that trap.There is also the LPC that is passed.The more we get passed the better.
The more choices we have the better.But we need them to pass the aihts standard and obviously that is not impossible for trap manufacturers.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by white17
So if the trap manufacturer has to pay to have his trap tested, 2 questions come to mind.

1. Who pays the people testing the traps ?

2. Isn't it possible that the best traps may never be tested.......or certified ?

1. The manufacturer pays to certified the trap......so they would need to have so many animals caught and find trappers willing to do that.
2. Yes.
[Linked Image]

This is the page from the "restraining Traps" section. The "Killing Traps" are already mandatory.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 05:01 PM

White that is one issue that I have a beef with.There are traps that would pass the standard,but you cant force a manufacturer to pay to have them tested for use in Canada if 90% of his sales are in the states.
The TDRC needs to get money to pay for the testing that the trappers want to use.
That said there have been a ton of traps tested and passed,but more needs to be done especially for wolftraps.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 05:37 PM

Boco I think you kind of made my point for me. The Victor might very well work ok in some areas but it is next to useless to me. The whole point of my discussion on this is that the changes they want made would ruin all the things that make the Koro such a good trap to begin with. I fail to see the advantage to that. All of our early manuals told trappers they should try to avoid the double strike on marten.

W-17 as you can see from the certified traps listed for wolves, the best two wolf traps made are not on the list. In the end, Canadian trappers lose, and as usual you guys in AK win. I know from my involvement with the Koro that trap testing is quite expensive and some of the manufacturers question the process some of the trappers use....big surprise there eh! How in the world can a trapper from Ontario know what will work in my environment ?? The answer is they dont.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 05:53 PM

Large parts of Ontario are the exact same environment as you(Boreal Forest).Ontario has all ecosystems from carolinian forest in the peelee,to arctic tundra in the far north Hudson bay.and everything else in between.Only difference is your area is not as flat.But I dont think there is any fur game on mountain tops,so your trapping would be much smaller area than the far north of Ontario,

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 06:24 PM

Large parts of Ontario are the exact same environment as you(Boreal Forest).Ontario has all ecosystems from carolinian forest in the peelee,to arctic tundra in the far north Hudson bay.and everything else in between.Only difference is your area is not as flat.But I dont think there is any fur game on mountain tops,so your trapping would be much smaller area than the far north of Ontario,

Thats actually not true. Lots of fur up high. The best marten country up here goes from about 3000 feet up to 4500 feet. I used to trap up in the Logans. Extremely deep snow, steep country. 8-feet of snow was normal conditions. You had to look hard for firewood. Wolf traps could and would get covered with thick layers of snow in no time. Just look at some of JRs pictures where hes catching wolves. High open country, plus we get severe cold snaps that can last for weeks. I've never trapped in Ontario but Robert says its much different than conditions out here. Another good friend who used to trap in Manitoba says the same thing.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 06:35 PM

Am I reading that correctly ? It looks like fall of 2020 you guys will have to use cage traps for beaver ??
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 06:48 PM

Just reading from an outsiders perspective. Very interesting issues here. By looking at the page BOCO put out earlier there are a lot of traps for coyote that are certainly not on that list that are better to use than a 1.5 victor soft catch. sure does seem like about every animal friendly version of victor is on there but none of the others. Seems capitalistic to put it on the manufacturer to get their product approved and not the program to test and figure out what is best. Like i said though outsiders perspective. I believe the principle the whole system you guys have founded this on is great but knowing government is the controller and one running the hammer you should be able to see where it is going. Well I hope that is not the case but it sure seems to me to be you are going the way you thought you weren't.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 06:52 PM

Am I reading that correctly ? It looks like fall of 2020 you guys will have to use cage traps for beaver ??

Ken, I think thats just the page that refers to restraining traps. Bodygrips, snares or drowning setups will be/are still legal.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 07:10 PM

Boco you made the mistake every flatland does about the hills. On a map it is so much acres, but when you put it on a slope the volume of habitat land mass is greatly increased. 500 feet rise you can have 4 different habitats and a much larger carrying capacity.
I talked with the designer and hold your horses, they are not out of the barn just yet. They are working on the issues at hand and should have another sample of wolves captured with the changes.
Each Director of Wildlife of the provincial/ territory'.s can issue a conditional use permit.
Yukon is Hugh M still your director or has he retired ?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254

Ken, I think thats just the page that refers to restraining traps. Bodygrips, snares or drowning setups will be/are still legal.

Thanks Dave !

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Boco you made the mistake every flatland does about the hills. On a map it is so much acres, but when you put it on a slope the volume of habitat land mass is greatly increased. 500 feet rise you can have 4 different habitats and a much larger carrying capacity.
I talked with the designer and hold your horses, they are not out of the barn just yet. They are working on the issues at hand and should have another sample of wolves captured with the changes.
Each Director of Wildlife of the provincial/ territory'.s can issue a conditional use permit.
Yukon is Hugh M still your director or has he retired ?

No he retired. We have a younger guy now. Pretty decent guy too.

James said they wanted him to reduce spring tension by 30%, and shrink the distance between the pan and jaw, ( so catches are lower, like in Boco's drawing) and increase jaw thickness. The reduced spring tension will negatively effect the traps ability to come up out of the snow, and shrinking the distance between the pan and the jaw will make it much harder to get good solid catches in tough conditions.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 08:18 PM

You talk with Robert lately Yukon?
I havent heard from him in a while,say Hi for me if you see him.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 08:27 PM

It is too bad that some serious wolf trappers can not test these traps, but consider the cost that the wolves have to be shipped back down to V Alberta to be looked at.
I remember doing some testing in the early stages and it was like doing hoops through some holohoops standing on your head and drinking a beer and not spilling any !

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 08:28 PM

So they want to makes the jaws heavier and the springs weaker. Sounds like a recipe for a slower trap

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 08:38 PM

So they want to makes the jaws heavier and the springs weaker. Sounds like a recipe for a slower trap

Bingo

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 11:16 PM

Ya, but it will work better! crazy

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/13/19 11:20 PM

You talk with Robert lately Yukon?
I havent heard from him in a while,say Hi for me if you see him.

Robert flew out to the beaver back in late September / early Oct. I was guiding at the time but did see the plane go over. Dont expect to see him until January but I will for sure say hi for you. Im betting hes having a good run this year. Lots of marten and more lynx than anyone has ever seen in the southeast.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/14/19 12:08 AM

no it was sharpness of the edges of the jaws and that was dealt with the next field testing ones

too bad either the moderators on here or Paul has banned James K on posting on this forum. He has much to contribute to northern trapping world with his new designed traps

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/14/19 02:16 AM

Thanks for the update on Robert Yukon.
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/15/19 07:03 PM

England just had a huge political upset vote result as a consequence of government-gone-wild at the expense of The People. Canada is on the same trajectory, and this whole discussion about "humane" traps etc is representative of this serious disconnect. Governments are supposed to work FOR the people, not against them. When you get the federal government involved in the finest of details about which trap is this or that, you have already lost, the trapper has already lost. One of the reasons I left my cushy federal job in DC as a policy and legislative staffer was because I was surrounded by urban people who simply "knew better" than everyone else. That was their attitude, and of course they did not know any better, and usually were way off base from the farmers, lumbermen, and other natural resource managers who made a living outside. But being wrong never stopped them from pushing their "I know better than you" agenda, which always cost someone their freedom and or livelihood. It was this attitude that got America its current president, who I adore, and I hope that Canada has a similar political experience. Because no matter what, once your government is down in the weeds telling you which springs are "more humane" than another, you have already lost the war. Merry Christmas, everyone

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/15/19 07:44 PM

Your a bit misinformed about the humane trap testing in Canada.It originated and was steerd by trappers here,not government,nor antis,nor Europeans.
Specifically the Ontario Trappers association thru the vision of Alcide Giroux and other trappers who knew the importance of humane trapping.They had great vision truly great men.Thru the Fur Institute of Canada,the TRDC was set up and all the provincial wildlife managers got on board to make things consistent across all jurisdictions.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/15/19 09:23 PM

Just curious, but why are Ontario trappers making policy decisions regarding BC and Yukon trappers? That's two different worlds politically and geographically. Sounds to me like a way some trappers wanted their name attached to more legislation where they are the "humane" voice.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/15/19 09:54 PM

OTA and BC were at the forefront of humane trapping,and trapper education,OTA had the Money because we owned the auction house,and were the largest group of trappers in the country.We also compiled the WFMC in conjunction with MNR at that time.
We never made any policy decisions for any other jurisdictions,policy is made by provincial wildlife managers,we basically spearheaded everything for ourselves and the rest got on board.when they realized the importance of humane trapping.We were not going to be dictated to by anyone,especially those outside the industry,we would be in the drivers seat.
There is a lot of historical information available.Comprehensive trapper education was implemented at the same time,to train trappers in the most effective and humane methods available also.
At the same time proper fur handling methods and techniques were taught all across the north so trappers would realize more money and could put a consistent product thru the auction house.
The provincial trapping associations over the years tried to form a national trapping association,but that role was basically filled by the FIC which represents the entire industry so a national trappers association never took root in Canada even after several attempts over many years.After a while OTA let the FIC run the trap testing program and the facility was built in vegreville AB.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/15/19 10:40 PM

So there it is: BOCO, and his Croney's are responsible for this mess!

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/15/19 10:53 PM

Mess?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 12:00 AM

no it was the anti sealing movement that created the mess and the trappers wanted to get infront of the problem before things happened.
Europe is in a mess now cause they don't have a wolf trap for use certified.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 12:15 AM

Well, NAFA tried to take a page out of the certified book, and they are broke, trappers with vast experience using certain traps are ignored, yet the very country that requires such things freely profits from the likes of Alaska, that has no such non-sense.
I would call that a mess. Just me.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 12:24 AM

The mess is all the fur bans and loss of trapping going on in your country.
That is not happening here.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 01:18 AM

Then you have the market cornered, 'eh?
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 02:01 AM

That is a bummer. The Koro has become my favorite.
Posted By: Moose maniac

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 03:41 AM

So I just got a note from the fellow that designed and builds the Koro wolf trap. Apparently it failed the Canadian trap certification process. They want him to reduce spring pressure by about 30% among other things.

This highlights the stupidity of the certification process. I talked to the guy in charge of the testing on this trap a couple years ago and they were having trouble catching enough wolves at that time. My question to him ( that he couldnt answer) was how in the world can the Victor #3 soft catch with 4 coil springs be "certified" for wolves if they actually have to catch wolves in them. The Victor #3 is in fact certified and no one has caught any number of wolves with it....it isn't a wolf trap...period. The changes they want made to the Koro would ruin it. I think I can safely say that I have caught more wolves in the Koro than any single trapper in Canada. They are first class traps. Miles ahead of the Brawn that was one of the first wolf traps certified in Canada.

This is what happens when the Govt gets involved. Canadian trappers got the shaft with the certification process and should have fought it tooth and nail. The 30 Koro wolf traps I own will become illegal to use very soon. Anyone think I will be reimbursed ?? I wont be holding my breath. Its a real travesty in my opinion and one of the best tools available to Canadian trappers has just been taken off the table by a bunch of people who obviously havent the slightest clue what they are doing...

It’s definitely a crappy deal I have a bunch of Lay wolf traps that I apparently can’t use any more come next year they are a much better trap than my bridger #9’s

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
Well, NAFA tried to take a page out of the certified book, and they are broke, trappers with vast experience using certain traps are ignored, yet the very country that requires such things freely profits from the likes of Alaska, that has no such non-sense.
I would call that a mess. Just me.

This ^^ is without a doubt the absolute truth. Boco is being a bit misleading. I have no idea how trappers in Ontario felt about the new standards but the majority of western Canadian trappers were against it. We were told point blank that our fur would not be allowed into Europe unless we agreed to the new standards. That wasn't true, period. I am the first to admit there were some good things about the humane trapping standards, but there is a lot of red tape and stupidity too.

Dont believe for two seconds that Govt isn't involved because they are. In a big way. Our local trapping association used to do all the trappers ed courses. They made money from them. The Territorial Govt took that over. They actually created a govt position and we have a fellow that goes around and does the courses in the communities.He is an employee of the Territorial Govt.

I talked to the Govt fur technician a few years ago because I wanted to add the trappers ed course into our business. She told me that wouldn't be possible because I didnt have a college degree! It was obvious that she was going to fight me tooth and nail on it so I dropped the idea. I found out later that anyone who wants to become an instructor has to go to Gordys trapper college in Alberta. Im not sure how that works or who set it all up that way, but it smells bad to me.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 02:05 PM

Sorry to hear of the layoffs.
down the road it is going to bite all of us.
Posted By: spjones

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 02:12 PM

Down the road??????
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 03:10 PM

Boco I know your level of knowledge is leaps and bounds above mine so i wouldn't want to argue too much with you but i am having trouble understanding how one can think that having only a few "certified" traps for wolves and one being a #3 victor is the better than a lot of the regulations we have here in the states. I see them as different but going towards the same angle. That is like stating that a victor 1.5 is a good viable option for a coyote trap here. Well i suppose your regs state that as well. That comment was minutely argumentative i suppose. The long and short of it is it is the opinion of many that you are pushing and supporting something that has lost the scope of its original direction the second it got in the hands of govt and left the control of trappers. In the states we certainly have our own issues. Some areas are very very serious to the point of trapping being illegal period.

I work for a large company and we have many vendors that supply materials to our company. I am in the power and ability to buy very large quantities of product and have sales folk that i talk to daily from companies trying to move products. Every single day i am faced with the issue of what product do i buy for this issue. It would be great if i could just buy the best thing but i cant. Corporately we have preferred vendors and products we have to buy instead. These are not better and are not cheaper. Most of the time they are the opposite actually. I see that as the same issue you all are dealing with. Initially the company thought lets get preferred vendors that we know and have tested products and have inventory. Great idea and then the dollars start to flow around and now we have one or two things we just have to buy even though it is junk and we have to just deal with it. Seems like you all just kind of have to deal with it now.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/16/19 04:53 PM

Lack of money in the trade is hurting getting better tools for the trade,and slowing down the ongoing improvements to humane trapping.But trappers will continue to use and improve the most humane tools(ie:the Senneker snare improvements),hopefully the trap testing facility can find money to keep up.
All the trappers I know want to use the most humane tools available to harvest their fur,and support humane trapping standards.They do it mostly because they dont want to see animals suffer,and secondly they know how important it is to the industry going forward.

Now,that said,they need to test and pass more traps,The beef I have is that there are better tools out there that have not been passed yet because of beurocracy/money.

One can see from the work that has been done already that when traps are tested,and the necessary changes made for them to pass the standard that there are lots and lots that pass and thus available.You can see it in the extensive lists of approved traps for beaver,coon marten etc.

Unfortunately with the lack of money in the industry now,it looks like testing and cerification will slow down.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/17/19 06:32 PM

Boco, did you guys howl in disgust when they approved the Victor #1 1/2 Softcatch the 2 coil version for coyotes?
Do you guys have feedback on the testing and approval process?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/17/19 10:24 PM

Not sure what the foothold coyote guys use,but there is a lot to choose from on the list.
I know,for Marten,long before the aihts we trappers were involved in the trap testing and evaluation for Ontario Trappers Assn..Its how the best marten trap wound up being manufactured right here in kapuskasing-the LDL,from the feedback from the trappers.Once the aihts testing started years later trappers were already using these traps.
The LDL otter trap-220(under ice) is also the trap of choice by trappers here,as is the LDL 330 for beaver.
Posted By: grampy

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/18/19 09:52 PM

Yukon 254. I agree with your sentiments regarding approved traps. I just sold all mine to an Indian. Hardly seems fair he can legally trap with them and a white person can't. His fur will likely pass thru the same auction as mine.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/18/19 10:04 PM

Wait, what? Only white folks have to abide by the approved traps law?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/18/19 10:13 PM

Only in Canada you say.
In the USA once you pass 50% you are cut off. In Canada 1/328 percentile rule exhist, and you get a Gold Card with Status
Harvest can be for Tradition Uses, but can not enter the commercial venue.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/18/19 10:40 PM

North of 50. Really, and who would check. Certainly not the DNR

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/18/19 11:20 PM

They have a UV florescent spray spray they used for animals found in the wild of questionable end uses, those pelts show up in a collection and the paper work begins.
Your Ontario DNR is fines leveled are recovery to their department .

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/19/19 12:02 AM

North of 50. I am unaware of any special actions. Please tell me who "they"are and how this works. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/22/19 02:46 PM

[Linked Image]

Here is a humane catch with a non certified trap. KO No BS K9 Extreme.

Not what I would put in the ground for a wolf set, but that is a Canadian “humane” catch, eh?
Posted By: humptulips

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/24/19 03:58 AM

Works that way in WA too. Have to use cage traps unless you are tribal member, then no restrictions.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/26/19 11:01 PM

Boco, you are gonna love it when American finally makes Canada into our 51st state. You will have all the freedoms and benefits of the USA without all of the insane red tape bureaucracy of Europe/Canada. My own experience with Canadian furs was stunning. A couple years ago I made an arrangement with someone on this site; I would send him some unique traps and he would send me some dried pelts of critters we can't get here in the USA. Sounded good. Nice barter, each party getting something we want. But nope. All the nice pelts were boarded, removed, packaged up to go to the USA, and then the Canadian bureaucrats stepped in. Can't send this, can't send that. The CITES tags were the least of the issues. Tom Hardisky, the sadly now deceased PA furbearer biologist was stunned when he learned that Canada would not let the trapper send his pelts to me. The Canadian bureaucrats even tried to blame the USA laws and PA regulations, but none of that stood up to scrutiny. So...Canada needs a good dose of good ol' USA, 'cause all that ridiculous regulatory nonsense is just killin' people's expectations and possibilities.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/26/19 11:08 PM

Unfortunately your F/W are the idiots with all the restrictions on fur,like the enforcement of the marine mammal act .
Your run by a bunch of antis.I know I dealt with them personally,and all the roadblocks were on your side.Canada said no problem to sell tanned fur in the USA.Much different story when your beurocrats stepped in with all the restrictions on selling in the USA.
You can keep all that crap along with your trapping bans down there,we want no part of those restrictions on our trapping freedoms here.
And dont forget Canadian trappers were at the forefront of Humane trapping long before anyone else-its one of the reasons we dont have all the restrictions on trapping here that you have down there.
Oh yea,and dont forget what happened to you poor buggers the last time you tried to invade Canada,LOL.
It would be no different today,
Posted By: isnarewolves

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/26/19 11:16 PM

Boco, don't lump Alaska in with the lower 48. We also did not sign on to this ridicules BMP. i think Alaska has far less regulations than most others.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/26/19 11:41 PM

No worries Man,I'm just setting that guy from pennsylvania straight.
We got some dumb regs to work around like anywhere,but we're still free to harvest fur.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/26/19 11:44 PM

Unfortunately your F/W are the idiots with all the restrictions on fur,like the enforcement of the marine mammal act .
Your run by a bunch of antis.I know I dealt with them personally,and all the roadblocks were on your side.Canada said no problem to sell tanned fur in the USA.Much different story when your beurocrats stepped in with all the restrictions on selling in the USA.
You can keep all that crap along with your trapping bans down there,we want no part of those restrictions on our trapping freedoms here.
And dont forget Canadian trappers were at the forefront of Humane trapping long before anyone else-its one of the reasons we dont have all the restrictions on trapping here that you have down there.
Oh yea,and dont forget what happened to you poor buggers the last time you tried to invade Canada,LOL.
It would be no different today,

This exchange is meme heaven:
The he said-she-said of fur import/export.
Boco the lone defender of Canada, with his musket raised over his head against the might of the invading US military, while swarms of Third Worlders rush past Boco to get into the USA...if I have time tonight, I will try to make a few.
re the fur bans here are because America has larger cosmopolitan areas than Canada, and your urban areas are surrounded by huge wilderness. Totally different relationships to wild things and wild life and wild people. Our urban areas are connected to other urban areas, gigantic concrete jungles any neighborhood of which is larger than all of Canada's urban areas combined, which creates the biggest culture of nincompoops in the history of weenie nincompoops here in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. We have these urban areas that want to pretty much outlaw everything, not just fur, including the food they eat and the water they drink. And once the US urban areas start really sliding, they disgorge huge numbers of refugees, who flee into pristine habitat like Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and immediately begin the fairyland urbanization process all over again. So as much as Canada may be socialist and defenseless (except for Boco and the musket, probably a rabid sic-'em beaver by his side, too) and all that, the fact is Canadians are still connected to the natural resource world. Food resources, resource extraction, furs, wild game, etc. So on that score, there is no question, Canadians are more human than all of the American urban fairies. But fear not, somehow our urbanites will discover Canada's nicest places and move into them. And then you will have your fur bans

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/27/19 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by PAlltheway
Boco, you are gonna love it when American finally makes Canada into our 51st state. You will have all the freedoms and benefits of the USA without all of the insane red tape bureaucracy of Europe/Canada. My own experience with Canadian furs was stunning. A couple years ago I made an arrangement with someone on this site; I would send him some unique traps and he would send me some dried pelts of critters we can't get here in the USA. Sounded good. Nice barter, each party getting something we want. But nope. All the nice pelts were boarded, removed, packaged up to go to the USA, and then the Canadian bureaucrats stepped in. Can't send this, can't send that. The CITES tags were the least of the issues. Tom Hardisky, the sadly now deceased PA furbearer biologist was stunned when he learned that Canada would not let the trapper send his pelts to me. The Canadian bureaucrats even tried to blame the USA laws and PA regulations, but none of that stood up to scrutiny. So...Canada needs a good dose of good ol' USA, 'cause all that ridiculous regulatory nonsense is just killin' people's expectations and possibilities.

While I dont agree with a lot of the nonsense we have to deal with...^^^^^ this is simply not true. I send furs to your state ( PA ) and many others all the time. Just sent a bunch of CITES animals to a small town in northern PA last week actually. Its simple....I'll say it again. Its simple. I've been doing it for many years and only problem I have ever had was once when I sent an otter to WI. Otters up here are not tagged even though they are a CITES species. So even though the CITES permit was with the otter it caused the taxidermist to become nervous because he was used to seeing a tag. It wasn't a big deal and everything turned out just fine with one phone call. Other than that one time I've never once had a problem. Its just not an issue, and I send 6 to 10 shipments of furs to the US every single season.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/27/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by PAlltheway

While I dont agree with a lot of the nonsense we have to deal with...^^^^^ this is simply not true. I send furs to your state ( PA ) and many others all the time. Just sent a bunch of CITES animals to a small town in northern PA last week actually. Its simple....I'll say it again. Its simple. I've been doing it for many years and only problem I have ever had was once when I sent an otter to WI. Otters up here are not tagged even though they are a CITES species. So even though the CITES permit was with the otter it caused the taxidermist to become nervous because he was used to seeing a tag. It wasn't a big deal and everything turned out just fine with one phone call. Other than that one time I've never once had a problem. Its just not an issue, and I send 6 to 10 shipments of furs to the US every single season.

Fascinating. My NWT Canadian counterpart explained the red tape he encountered as it was happening. It went on for months, almost a year, and was demoralizing to both of us. Does each Canadian province have different rules?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/27/19 01:24 AM

My guess is that either the fellow in the NWT did something wrong....or the problem was on your side. US import/export laws can be insane. Just ask any company like Brownells, or Midway. Think of this....each season thousands of animals that were harvested by US hunters are shipped to US addresses. These include furbearers like wolves, wolverine and everything in between. If your friend has any trouble tell him to go talk to a taxidermist. They ship stuff monthly and will usually ship stuff for you, for a fee. Bottom line is, it isn't hard to do at all.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/27/19 01:54 AM

My guess is that either the fellow in the NWT did something wrong....or the problem was on your side. US import/export laws can be insane. Just ask any company like Brownells, or Midway. Think of this....each season thousands of animals that were harvested by US hunters are shipped to US addresses. These include furbearers like wolves, wolverine and everything in between. If your friend has any trouble tell him to go talk to a taxidermist. They ship stuff monthly and will usually ship stuff for you, for a fee. Bottom line is, it isn't hard to do at all.

Thanks, Yukon. I probably should have floated this earlier, like a year and a half ago. One of the challenges is that the other guy is literally at the end of the world, right at the Arctic Circle. Getting anything in or out is expensive and difficult. But I will run this by him and see what he says.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/27/19 03:40 AM

I WILL MAKE 3 YEARS!!!!!!!! SO..........HARD... ...........

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... - 12/27/19 04:47 AM

You can do it Viking!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums