Home

Some kind of record?

Posted By: waggler

Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 06:47 PM

I just heard of a trapper in southeast Alaska who trapped, not shot, 9 wolves in one day just recently. All on the mainland, so no worries about the "rare Alexander archipelago wolves".
I saw the pictures to prove it. This must be some sort of record isn't it, at least for trapped wolves?
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 07:05 PM

impressive number.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 07:20 PM

Is that nine in one check or nine in 24 hours? Darned impressive either way. I'd be thrilled with one wolf in nine days!

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 07:49 PM

^^^^^^^^
One check.
Posted By: white17

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 07:54 PM

There was a kid several years back who took the ATA wolf trapping class. That winter he set up a trail where wolves cut off a bend in the river. He hung a dirty glove in the middle of the trail as I recall.

In the first check he had some incredible number. Might have been double digits.

Pete may have a better memory on this
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 07:57 PM

There is a fellow south of here that has taken 21, so far.
I know one check had 7.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 08:05 PM

One older fellow(deceased now) took 11 from 2 packs on one check.Snared at jackpots.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 08:11 PM

I have seen that trappers post on the Alaska Trappers facebook page. He is out of Ketchikan and is catching a lot of wolves!

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
I know one check had 7.

We might be talking about the same guy; caught 7 in one set up, maybe the entire pack, plus two more the same day.
Posted By: Bushwhack Jack

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 08:45 PM

Sounds like work to me. But yes a very impressive result!
Posted By: jeremiah52

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 08:52 PM

We had a fellow here in Delta a number of yrs ago got 10 in one night one set. He was on the cover of the AK trapper. (Wayne Crowson) I believe if I remember right.

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/07/20 09:34 PM

Waggler, I believe so.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
Originally Posted by alaska viking
I know one check had 7.

We might be talking about the same guy; caught 7 in one set up, maybe the entire pack, plus two more the same day.

The guy I saw posting is Bryan Moody.

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 12:56 AM

I wasn't going to share his name on a public forum.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 02:10 AM

16 in snares is the most I heard of. A guy around the fort chip area. Hand cut trail through very dense brush in the off-season. Made a 90 degree turn and hung lots of bright flagging tape. Wolves panicked and ran down all his hand cut escape routes.

I’m happy getting 1 at a time myself but always welcome more.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 04:14 AM

I remember Jim M had a darn good check on a wolf killed moose he set traps and snares around once again I'm going to suggest we wait for verification from Pete this was during the wolf trapping class in Miles City after the Western NTA Convention JR would know also .
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
I remember Jim M had a darn good check on a wolf killed moose he set traps and snares around once again I'm going to suggest we wait for verification from Pete this was during the wolf trapping class in Miles City after the Western NTA Convention JR would know also .

That was 12 wolves and a fox as I recall.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 10:55 AM

I think Drasselt has it right.

The largest number in one set that I know of is even higher. The late Paul Kirsteatter told me that he snared/trapped 17 one time at a den site in the Upper Good Pasture. In the early 50's when year round trapping and denning was a "thing."

There are a VERY few people who even catch 9 wolves in a season, much less in a day. Congratulations to this young man!

Pete

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 02:12 PM

Thank you Drasselt for the clarification on that I'm sure getting them all skinned and put up was a challenge when I've done coyotes a bunch of wolves even more so.

Any amount of wolves caught is impressive in my way of thinking I look forward to seeing more wolf pictures on here folks !
Allan
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 06:20 PM

Yes skinning a dozen wolves would be a chore in and of itself but those wolves were caught a long way from home, which was a cabin, and had to be sledded in a few at a time - frozen rock solid - loaded in such a manner that the fur was not damaged during transport.

So awkward load and big job does not even begin to describe the task at hand.

Then, green bellies and all, they had to be hung, in the cabin, to thaw enough to skin which obviously wouldn't smell like French perfume....

A wolf trapper earns his pay!

Disclaimer: This happened in the 90's so I may be off in some of the details!
Posted By: white17

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/08/20 07:28 PM

I recall thawing a big blue wolf in the cabin. It took 5 days with him hanging from the ridge pole. The house cat wouldn't come out from under the bunk for the first three days

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/09/20 01:35 AM

And that's a problem how Ken ???? Not to long ago I had 36 coyotes thawing in my basement of my house yes I was very single in those days it was a challenge getting them put up these were snowmobile hunted coyotes some friends got in a long day of hunting.
That won't happen now day's which is probably a good thing ? Ha ha
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/09/20 03:06 AM

Wasn't there an article in the ATA magazine recently about a guy on the lower Kusko who caught 17 wolves on one trap check?
My best was 5 .... can't imagine dealing with 17 at one time!
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/09/20 11:58 AM

An older trapper who used a dog team to run a fairly long line once related to me that he never used snares for wolves. The reason was that when caught in snares the wolves would normally be dead and frozen. They would have to transported in the round back to the cabin to thaw. A. Heavy load for the dogs, and B. Difficult load to "pack" in a sled if frozen with legs sticking every which way.

By using traps instead, the wolves he caught were normally still alive at the set. He would dispatch them and rough skin them right there. This eliminated the need to haul the whole carcass back to the cabin.

Makes sense.....

Pete
Posted By: Boco

Re: Some kind of record? - 01/09/20 04:21 PM

I have skinned a couple fresh dispatched wolves in the bush on occasion.It is less work than skinning a thawed out one,but more bloody.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums