Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/12/20 04:19 AM

https://dps.alaska.gov/getmedia/4d4...CEssh4r0QHtGCkjlrY39lQ61YUmThvioSIKgRiC4

At least there was no bus involved
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/12/20 11:47 AM

Or canoe....
Posted By: WBG

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/12/20 03:37 PM

Don't know what's worse, no cache or not enough knowledge of the area to make a five mile hike.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/12/20 05:12 PM

I hope they don't make a movie. Every year these people show up, and every year, days or weeks later they leave. I try to ignore them. If they last a few years then I build a relationship.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 05:01 AM

A kid with _alls .I never laugh at people with them .He got off of the couch and probably never posted on the Alaska dreamers thread .
Posted By: waggler

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 08:38 AM

"I didn’t have a map and I knew I didn’t have enough knowledge of the whereabouts."
How could anyone just go plop down somewhere with no knowledge of the geography of where they are? I just can't comprehend stories like this.
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 06:23 PM

There's a post on the ATA Facebook site supposedly by the guy that was rescued. According to his words he was well prepared but in hindsight he is learned a great lesson. The truth is most everybody that's nun resident and new to any environment it's probably one small catastrophe away from dying everyday. Many people die 2 miles or less from a road in the lower 48 being lost in the woods. From what I gather he plans on trying again so I have to give him credit for his perseverance. You can freeze to death in your broke down car and only be four miles away from a small town.
Posted By: white17

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 06:34 PM

Well I don't see how anyone could fail to learn several lessons from that experience.

Hey Dirt: what's the ownership on the land in the area this guy was camping ?

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 06:49 PM

I believe he was located in the Donkey Terraces staking area. Mixture of State and private land with cabins probably within less than a mile of his place.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
Or canoe....

Is there a similar story involving a canoe - I have seen it referenced more than once.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 07:04 PM

Ah, that would be Andrew.
As far as I know, he is still at large.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I believe he was located in the Donkey Terraces staking area. Mixture of State and private land with cabins probably within less than a mile of his place.

Less than a mile might’ve taken him a week to walk seeing that a quarter mile took several days.

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
Originally Posted by Dirt

Less than a mile might’ve taken him a week to walk seeing that a quarter mile took several days.

Maybe he kept tripping over his extra chromosome?
Posted By: RightWayFur

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 08:05 PM

Lol
Posted By: white17

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 08:36 PM

If you have as much snow as I do, a mile could be a real chore without snowshoes. But, he had time to fashion something ! But without a map he had no idea where he was. How does that happen ??

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 08:58 PM

I dropped the Bravo in a slough on the 15th and snowshoed maybe a quarter of mile in probably 15 or 20 minutes to a packed trail with those tiny little bear snowshoes in the same snow. I'm about twice this fools age.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 09:08 PM

Possibly another Alaska bush person related to the "Browns" ??
Posted By: Boco

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/13/20 11:12 PM

David Thompson and Samuel Hearne would find that funny.
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/14/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
David Thompson and Samuel Hearne would find that funny.

So would John Rae.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Hey Dirt: Your Friend ?? - 01/14/20 08:29 PM

He needs to know Heimo.

Or, he could apprentice to Dirt seeing they're almost neighbors.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums