Home

Trapping on a Beaver House

Posted By: Bushwhack Jack

Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/17/20 02:02 AM

Okay, so on a previous thread I asked a question about where to set a wolverine cubby/bucket set. I had lot's of experienced individuals respond with that they all thought I should set it on a beaver house. So here's my next question. The area I'm in doesn't have a whole lot of beavers. Mostly spruce trees around with sparse willows and your occasional aspen tree. So I happen to know of two spots on my line where there is a beaver house. One is an old beaver house that is abandoned and as far as I know is a dead pond. Muskrats only on the pond as far as I can tell. But it's a large secluded pond and the beaver house is big. We'l call this first house beaver house #1 The other beaver house is on a small creek that I trap. Lots of canines and felines travel up and down this creek. I trap lynx and fox regularly and the occasional wolf along this creek. This beaver house had activity last year, but it was small, kind of tucked away in the woods and hard to find. This house we'll call beaver house #2. So which beaver house should I set it on? #1 or #2?

Thanks all for the tips. I appreciate the wisdom and experience.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/17/20 02:16 AM

Use the old dead house as a cubby set for a good sized bait,and set the other live house as a typical mound set.Set some snares around the bait if there is willows near the mound set.
A beaver house mound set in combination with snares is a more productive set for several different furbearers than is the cubby set,although snares can be set in conjuction with a dead house cubby set if any of the willows are still sound,or there at all.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/17/20 02:37 AM

House 2, of course. Nothing eats dead wood, (at least furbearers).
Don't be afraid to be flashy and loud. Make a BIG bait pile, get birds working, get their attention, if they are there!
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/17/20 02:58 AM

Why not set both?

I’ve had good luck on beaver houses using a square white bucket with beaver for bait. The bucket is some kind of bulk laundry soap and it fits a 220 just perfectly. The white colour blends in and a few sticks and handfuls if dead grass will make the bucket and trap disappear. Wolverine won’t know what hit him until it’s too late.
Posted By: white17

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/17/20 04:05 AM

I'd set them both. Critters are attracted to the terrain and they all know where all the beaver houses are. Remember, a lot of them are using the edge habitat along the slough or creek.

I would set a 330 bucket at each house. That will likely require the least amount of maintenance.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/17/20 04:35 AM

Furbearers just seem to be drawn to beaver houses, particularly when those houses are half on the bank and the other half out in the water. Set it without a second thought.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/17/20 12:09 PM

What W17 said. Low (no...) maintenance sets at BOTH.

Why would you choose to set at only one house?

Pete
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/17/20 09:19 PM

Set acouple big snare poles. Long pole with bait and snare before bait. Critter hangs from pole.
mt
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/26/20 10:37 PM

Good luck.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Trapping on a Beaver House - 01/27/20 01:24 AM

Beaver houses can be real good locations, but when it comes to wolverine, nothing beats sign. Wolverine will travel through the same areas year after year. I've seen them literally walk in an old trail they made weeks previously. I've caught a lot of them in blind snares hung over an old set of tracks too.

So nothing wrong with setting those houses, especially if you have seen tracks in the area before. On the other hand if you have never seen wolverine sign around those houses, I wouldn't set there just hoping one will come by. I do make wolverine sets in areas where I havent seen sign in the past, but those sets are made in natural travel routes.....so my pick is the house on the creek where you get the wolves, fox, and lynx! Sounds like a travel route to me! Good luck
© 2024 Trapperman Forums