Home

Personal Locator Beacons?

Posted By: Jumperzee

Personal Locator Beacons? - 06/24/20 02:42 AM

Curious what folks are using and their experience with them. Looking to purchase one, ideally with 2 way capability for periodic check in and/or emergencies. Any insight appreciated.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 06/24/20 03:04 AM

Most I know are using In-Reach. Pretty sure that's what they are called.
I still use smoke signals.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 06/24/20 03:38 AM

Garmin Inreach is what I and everyone else I know uses. The guides usually have satellite phones too.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 06/24/20 03:40 AM

Being in the United States Air Force auxiliary Civil Air Patrol I recommend getting one. We can locate you through satellite if it sends out a distress signal
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 06/24/20 04:26 PM

Been using the inreach and have been very happy with it.
Posted By: Loup loup

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 06/24/20 10:39 PM

I bought a used Spot sattelite texting device. Ill have to have a Grandkid set it up for me. Hopefully Ill get service with it.
Posted By: AKHowler

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 06/29/20 05:27 AM

I also went with the Inreach. Sold my sat phone, tired of dropped calls. My plan is $50/ month for unlimited texting. Bluetooth connects with my I-phone for easy texting. Friends and family can track my where abouts. Has maps, gps, compass. Liking it so far.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 06/30/20 04:27 AM

In reach is the one I know of people using. Personally I go into the woods to get away from people, if I can't get myself out, well that is where I want to die anyways.
Posted By: EurekaTrapper

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 07/04/20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
In reach is the one I know of people using. Personally I go into the woods to get away from people, if I can't get myself out, well that is where I want to die anyways.
Your family would appreciate being able to find your corpse though.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 07/05/20 01:52 AM

No corpse ; no closure of an estate for 7 years for the family.
Been there ; done that.

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 07/05/20 03:23 AM

Yea, back when I owed my lawyer money, I thought hey, at least somebody will come find me if I get lost.
Now that Ive got him paid off, I had to either get divorced again or get a texting device. Thought Id try a texting device for a while.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 07/05/20 04:15 PM

I'm new to this married thing, I spent almost forty years single. Drives both me and the wife nuts. She thinks I should check in/plan more. I'm used to leaving the house to go hunting without deciding where I'm headed until I hit the end of the driveway, and coming back whenever I feel like it.

And yeah I'm not used to having anybody for an estate to go to.

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 07/05/20 04:23 PM

Dont worry about it bearcat2. She'll get your estate evenually, either my way, or your way.
Posted By: Thurman

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 07/07/20 07:30 PM

Like mentioned I am a huge fan of the Garmin Inreach.
Posted By: LeverAlone

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/09/20 05:51 PM

another vote for the inreach. flexible plans and great service. been using mine for 5 years now, no complaints. Really came in handy once when i was out by myself and broke down about 100kms from cell service.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/09/20 07:35 PM

If you might be in a situation that requires a spit second to send out a distress signal (like on a boat) I think you should consider an ACR PLB. No bells and whistles like texting, but the service is free, and when you deploy it there is someone on the other end who actually takes it seriously.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/10/20 03:10 AM

I use the Garmin inReach when working, hunting, or trapping in any area without cellular signal.
I consider it a courtesy as a carcass finding and retrieval device.
Not a good idea to conk out in a remote area and clutter the natural scenic beauty with a dead guy.
Plus I might have something on me that some greedy person might want.
Posted By: Hankit

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/10/20 05:48 AM

I'm a firm believer in 1 is none and 2 is 1 so for trapping between my brother and I we carry an ACR Plb, Garmin inreach and an iridium sat phone. Mostly use the inreach but sat phone is great when you need instant feedback.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/10/20 05:35 PM

I got an Inreach for my birthday. It was too scary to set up, so it just sat there for a few months. Finally got a grandchild to help me set it up. Synced it with my iphone so I can text directly from phone, through the Inreach.

I used it on a caribou hunt this fall. It was a lifesaver (and money saver....) for getting ahold of my pilot and reporting the weather at our camp.

I'm a big fan now, of satellite texting!

Pete
Posted By: Taiga Tom

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/10/20 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Loup loup
Yea, back when I owed my lawyer money, I thought hey, at least somebody will come find me if I get lost.
Now that Ive got him paid off, I had to either get divorced again or get a texting device. Thought Id try a texting device for a while.

LOL laugh

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/10/20 10:58 PM

So are most people getting rid of their sat phones and getting these beacons? If so I might have a Iridium Extream for sale...

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/11/20 04:13 AM

It's too bad that Iridium never really seemed to lower their rates over the years, I bet they will be pretty much gone in not too many years.

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/11/20 05:10 AM

Not sure if they still do but iridium used to have a plan in Alaska called the northern lights or something it was pretty reasonable but only worked in Alaska. The plans in the lower 48 cost a arm and a leg.
I think iridium will be around for a while because their satellites work better up north then the other satellites.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/11/20 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Taiga Tom
Not sure if they still do but iridium used to have a plan in Alaska called the northern lights or something it was pretty reasonable but only worked in Alaska. The plans in the lower 48 cost a arm and a leg.
I think iridium will be around for a while because their satellites work better up north then the other satellites.

I have the Northern Lights plan and the price went up a couple years ago from 1.00 to 1.20 min. in 200 minute increments. Seriously considering an inreach . I like the weather forecast option because any more can’t pick up any stations that give my area.
Posted By: otterman

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/11/20 04:42 PM

I have an iridium sat phone and this fall have begun to hate the thing. Drops calls continually takes 4-5 calls to have a check in conversation with my wife and feel like it is no longer a life saving device. My buddy has an in reach has maps, can get a text through all the time gets weather reports plus the SOS button the whole nine yards for $50 a month and if you turn it off for a few months he doesn't loose minutes. The phone with the AK plan is $279 for 6 months and if you don't renew you lose the minutes and have to start all over. I started moose season with 1200 min down to 950 now mostly because of the repeated calls due to dropped calls. After a serious conversation with my wife over it all and both of us being frustrated I think the iridum will be going up for sale and an in reach purchased prior to winter trapping on my long lines
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/12/20 03:32 PM

I've had an InReach for several years. Handy little device, especially in areas with no cell service. Nice to know that if something does happen you can let them know exactly what the issue is so they can send the right resources the first time.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/28/20 12:45 AM

Otterman,

We had that this last moose hunting trip as well. 4-5 tries sometimes to get through. We thought it might be our phone, but if you are having it too, then it could be another issue. We did notice that morning calls seemed to go through pretty quick, but later in the afternoon or in the evening, then not so good. I wonder if there is a satellite issue or something.

-TJ

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 09/28/20 03:51 AM

Im guessing Iridium is getting cheap on maintenance and upgrades to their system; if true, thats the first signs of an eventual business failure.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 10/01/20 03:37 AM

However, doesn't inReach run off of Iridium Satellites?

-TJ
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 10/02/20 06:28 AM

Inreach isn't foolproof. They had a dust up with ATT and while I was in the wilderness I couldn't text her phone for 7 days I think. They fixed it tho.
Posted By: aknome

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 10/06/20 07:58 AM

Have used Inreach for several years. Started off with just the device, eventually learned to sync with either phone or IPad. Works really good. Keeps the Boss happy knowing where my carcass can be found.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 10/06/20 06:25 PM

Another vote for the In Reach!
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 10/12/20 05:30 AM

I have a 1 year old Garmin InReach Explorer plus that I will sell. It works great, but at this time not much need for it.
Posted By: watarrat

Re: Personal Locator Beacons? - 10/12/20 05:59 AM

I'm on my 3rd Iridium phone,, guideing,commercial fishing has paid for all and they're service$ many times over. I don't live off my phone like most of the earth's inhabitants seem to these days! It's kinda nice to hear your wifes voice on occasion too,,,,,,
© 2024 Trapperman Forums