Home

Foul smelling wolf pelt

Posted By: EurekaTrapper

Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/02/20 06:25 AM

I have a wolf pelt that came back from the tannery a few months ago that still smells bad. Is there a product that I can use to deodorize it with? Now that it's cooling off at night, I have been closing my windows so I really notice it.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/02/20 11:53 AM

Can you tell if its the hair that smells or the leather ? There are products you can use that will help. I have some at home but cant remember the name of the stuff, ( im not at home now.) You should be able to find something if you call or google one of the taxidermy supply houses. I get most of my tanning stuff through AAA supply here in Canada, but there are lots of companies in the US you can check out.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/02/20 02:38 PM

It's hard to tell if it is the fur or leather that stinks. The whole thing smells strong. It may be the tanning chemicals that are giving off the odors and not the wolf itself. I will check those taxidermy supply houses. Thanks
Posted By: isnarewolves

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/02/20 03:51 PM

You can buy a product called "Tap-A-Drop" (amazon). When you get it put 2 or 3 drops on a paper towel. Put the wolf hide and paper towel in a plastic garbage bag for 2-3 days. this should get rid of the odor. Very good product for getting the smell out of all sort if things.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/03/20 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by isnarewolves
You can buy a product called "Tap-A-Drop" (amazon). When you get it put 2 or 3 drops on a paper towel. Put the wolf hide and paper towel in a plastic garbage bag for 2-3 days. this should get rid of the odor. Very good product for getting the smell out of all sort if things.

I will give that a shot. Thanks
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/03/20 09:12 PM

A few questions who tanned it? And is it tanned or pickled?

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/04/20 09:31 PM

It was professionally tanned, not a home tan. I thought they all use a pickle?
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/04/20 11:55 PM

I have used Moyles and New Method for decades, and all the pelts come back smelling "chemically", but air out in a week or two.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/07/20 04:35 PM

Had the wolf been feeding on salmon?

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/08/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Taximan

No salmon anywhere close.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/08/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
I have used Moyles and New Method for decades, and all the pelts come back smelling "chemically", but air out in a week or two.

Maybe I just need a bigger house.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/11/20 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by EurekaTrapper
Originally Posted by Taximan

No salmon anywhere close.

OK,there goes that idea.Some brown bears never lose that fish smell,after tanning,if they have been hitting the salmon runs hard.

I would be tempted to contact another,reliable tanner and let them look at it.You may be able to get it re-tanned or at least you could get some good advice.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/12/20 05:29 PM

Now this is a bunch of nonsense. I have tanned literally thousands of fish eating bears/wolves, over my 30 years of dressing, and you can tell when they come in the door they have been feeding on fish. i have yet to smell the odor of fish when the tanning is finished.

Yes some tanneries add fragrances in the tumbling process. But different odors from different tanneries comes from their processing. Such as the tanning oils they use, the type of acids they use, and the tanning agents themselves produce different aromas, and lastly the kind of tumbling medium they use, all can effect the final product. Usually these smell do not last long after you receive them back.

If the smell is precipitant with a certain tannery you may want to look for a different one. But as this post in it's original question was how to eliminate the odor, i still say but a bottle of "Tap-A-Drop", it is the best, easiest, and cost effective product i have used.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/17/20 05:22 AM

I received my package of Tap-a-drop from Amazon today. I ordered the original and the citrus. I think I prefer the smell of the original better. It is quite powerful. I've got the pelt in a bag with 3 drops on a paper towel. Hopefully in a couple of days we will be fresh.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/17/20 04:40 PM

And even that smell will dissipate in a short time.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/26/20 02:41 AM

did it work?
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/26/20 09:45 PM

If you can still smell it, sell it.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/30/20 05:33 AM

did it work?
Yes it did. Thank you.

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 09/30/20 02:48 PM

Nice!
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 10/01/20 12:34 AM

Good to know, glad it smells better.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Foul smelling wolf pelt - 10/02/20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by EurekaTrapper
did it work?
Yes it did. Thank you.

That’s good to know Tap-a-drop worked for ya.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums