Home

Meat trapping

Posted By: patrapperbuster

Meat trapping - 09/18/20 09:33 PM

All trappers are at an advantage. With today's food prices about to rise we have a way to stock the freezers with meat. Many trappers have probably not thought of eating certain wild game but all are edible. I have tried and do eat many caught animals. I save the back legs of muskrats, legs and back straps of racoon & fox, and most parts of beaver. All are prepared in a crockpot with potatoes and/or carrots. Slow cook for 3-6 hours. Gravy can be made also. If you are a barbecue sauce lover, the sauce can be added last 10 minutes of cooking time. After butchering meat from animals you can vacuum seal before putting into freezer. Doesn't matter what fur prices are! Keep trapping
Posted By: Thurman

Re: Meat trapping - 09/18/20 09:53 PM

I eat lynx and beaver but am a super super hard pass on fox. Ive never had it but have a feeling I wouldnt like the flavor of rabies.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Meat trapping - 09/18/20 10:34 PM

It may surprise ya. Slow cook & make gravy. And remember ANYTHING CAN BE GOOD WITH ENOUGH BARBECUE SAUCE! smile
Posted By: Outdoors Guy

Re: Meat trapping - 09/21/20 04:40 PM

For me personally i feel i trap enough beaver to keep me satisfied and the freezer full, i have found they are one of the best meats that i like and are well worth the trouble of preparing as they have quite alot of meat on them.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Meat trapping - 09/25/20 07:59 AM

I won't try weasel, but hear they are good in a paper bag if prepared properly (joke)

I have tried wolf back strap and some hindquarters in a beaver stew..it was actually really good. My buddy had a gathering called the "underutilized species potluck". Some interesting recipes. ...an Alaska native buddy won 1st place with sweet and sour seal, the wolf and beaver stew my sister prepared ( I just trapped the critters) took honorable mention.

Hard to beat beaver....aka bush beef
Posted By: Boco

Re: Meat trapping - 09/26/20 03:34 PM

I heard weasel on a bun is pretty good-like a crunchy hot dog with mustard and relish.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Meat trapping - 09/27/20 03:00 AM

We hunt enough to not eat stuff we trap,, we like grouse hunting just can't beat a mountain chicken right.
And the deer are all over here, we like antelope better than deer.
But I have eaten bobcat, mtn. Lion, rattlesnake, beaver & muskrat.
Oh yaa bear to, emu & ostrich, buffalo when i worked at a meat locker .
Thinking the critters i trap are just fine feed for another critter.
Bait, coyotes visit the dead.
But if needed I'm fine with any of the above to fill my wrinkle lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums