Home

Bfisch Journal 20-21

Posted By: bfisch

Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/03/20 10:12 PM

About 2 weeks ago I told the girls I found some muskrat houses and that if they wanted to they could set some muskrat traps on opener. Sunday afternoon the whole family headed out. I haven't intentionally trapped muskrats for over 6 years, but it looks like we may have a few more around than previous years. We each set one muskrat trap except the youngest. I also made two fox sets. Thought I might as well since we were going to be checking traps anyway.

Checked the traps as a family yesterday after the girls got out of school for the day. It was sunny, all the trees and grass was frosted up, and the temperature was -10 and dropping. While my traps were empty my wife and second oldest both had success.

This was the first trap she ever set and her first ever catch! The smile is bigger under the neck warmer!

[Linked Image]

My wife got her first fox two years ago, her first marten last year, and now her first muskrat! She is a water and land trapper now!

[Linked Image]

Though I saw more fox, mink, otter, beaver, and lynx sign, I saved it for another time.

[Linked Image]

Will be checking again today, but will leave mom and youngest at home. Its a little cold today.
Posted By: Thurman

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/03/20 10:22 PM

Awesome to get the kids out! Had a kid in town bring me a muskrat and I told him I would pay him 5$ a muskrat, and now im down 35$ basically over night haha. Glad to give him some cash and fuel the hunting passion he already has. I want to get better at trapping them myself! Hope you have a great season!
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/04/20 02:45 AM

Good stuff, right there.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/04/20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thurman
Awesome to get the kids out! Had a kid in town bring me a muskrat and I told him I would pay him 5$ a muskrat, and now im down 35$ basically over night haha. Glad to give him some cash and fuel the hunting passion he already has. I want to get better at trapping them myself! Hope you have a great season!

Good on you to encourage him! I might consider selling you a few at $5 grin My daughter decided to keep it and get it tanned after I told her she may only get $2-3 for it.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/04/20 06:58 PM

Last evening concluded the early winter muskrat chase. After picking my two older girls up from school, the three of us raced out to check 4 muskrat sets. Walking up to the first set I noticed the area quite disturbed and soon saw a dark head sticking out of a hole. After not getting anything yesterday, my oldest was disappointed especially since her younger sister had caught a muskrat before she did. (Being a step behind a younger sibling is always frustrating!)

As we walked closer she said, "I got a muskrat!" Then she changed it to, "It's a mink! I just caught a mink didn't I! It's better than a muskrat and maybe I can even keep the skull!" The excitement of catching a mink more than made up for the empty trap the day before.

[Linked Image]

Not many can say that the first thing they ever caught was a mink. I didn't catch my first mink until I was 17. Well. . . I was out-trapped these past two days as both days my traps were empty, but if I have to be out-trapped I can't think of anyone I would rather be outdone by than my own family!
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/04/20 07:06 PM

Thank you for sharing your families adventures with us talk about making some great memories for one and all !
My first mink I caught when I was in my mind 20's in a submerged 330 set under a tree where the beaver were crossing under it sadly I never did catch a beaver in that location.

Have a great season and Stay Safe out there even if you don't want to ha ha !
Allan
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/04/20 07:25 PM

Way to go! Those memories of the first catch will be with them a life time! Creating those memories with family are a blessing!
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/05/20 04:15 AM

I've lived in Alaska since 1978 and I still don't know much about trapping muskrats after freeze up. Got any pics of the sets? How about a tutorial for us neophytes? Nice to see the kids having fun.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/06/20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
I've lived in Alaska since 1978 and I still don't know much about trapping muskrats after freeze up. Got any pics of the sets? How about a tutorial for us neophytes? Nice to see the kids having fun.

I agree!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/07/20 01:00 AM

Allan- First mink was in a pocket set on the river made to catch muskrat, mink, or coon. It was a small female, but I didn't care! Your "Stay Safe" reminds me of something I need to remind myself of every once in a while. Don't rush things especially when I am by myself. Rushing lead to mistakes and mistake lead to. . .

HFT AK- I couldn't agree with you more! To be able to have family, health, and ability are blessings I too often take for granted!

martentrapper & Thurman- I'll work on getting a few pictures put together.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/07/20 02:03 AM

Good Evening bfisch my closing remark is my attempt at a sense of humor trying to come out the one thing we have in common is there's a lot of nothing between us and town or the next person or even farm or ranch house .
So if something happens you better be resourceful and stay with the snowmobile or 4 wheeler or 4 wd pickup .

On a day fishing trip on Fort Peck with a buddy we were done for the day and were heading back to the marina we noticed two guys in a boat with the cover off the motor off in the distance , long story short the batteries died while they were running the trolling motor my friend had jumper cables and we got it to start .
We were the only two boats out that far from the marina it could've been worse for both of them .
Not meaning to hijack your thread . Thing's can happen anywhere and at anytime . Keep up the good work raising those youngun's ha ha
Allan

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/08/20 07:21 AM

As requested:

Trapping Muskrats After Freeze Up:

1) Follow all state and federal laws and regulations. Our trapping regulations state, "Muskrat pushups or feeding houses may be disturbed in the course of trapping." Some states may not allow this.
2) Find a muskrat house.
3) Make a hole just large enough for your trap to fit through in the side of the muskrat house. I use an ax for this, but a hatchet or ice pick/chisel would also work. The trap I prefer is a 1 1/2 longspring for its increased weight and higher catch. I will be describing the use of this trap. Some make effective use of a 110 inside the house, but I don't have the knack for it. While making the hole try to keep the piece coming out as large as possible for later use.
4) Attach your trap securely to a drag/pole. Remember to stake for the biggest thing you might catch. I have heard of guys catching otters in these sets. I have only ever caught rats and mink.

[Linked Image]

5) Feel/look around inside the house to locate the underwater entrance as well as the platform. (If the house is full of ice and the entrance is frozen over move on.) The platform may be slightly submersed or above the water line in the house. It is where the muskrat sits to eat and rest. Place the trap on the platform. I prefer to have it partially submersed and level.

[Linked Image]

6) While keeping your pole on the outside, replace the portion of the house you removed sealing the hole back up. While doing this leave enough slack on the inside so that the catch may jump in the water with the trap in an attempt to escape. This will make for less struggle and save you from having to dispatch the catch when you arrive. For better sealing of the hole you make take a small portion of the wetted plant material and and add that to what you already had. The benefit to having it wet is that in freezing temperatures it will freeze the hole closed making in less likely for the catch to exit the house and be exposed to the weather and predators. You may also use grasses found around the area for added insulation and cover everything with snow. While it is good to have the hole you made freeze shut, it is more important that you properly reinsulate the house. If the house freezes the catch will be froze in and cause you unnecessary trouble. Also if the house freezes you are lessening the survivability of any rats you did not catch that are still wanting to use that house to rest and feed. Seal the hole well!

[Linked Image]

7) Check set regularly remembering to properly seal and insulate the hole each time including when you remove your set.
8: Remember to have fun and be careful to check ice thickness especially around the muskrat house!
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/08/20 02:44 PM

Pretty neat bfich. Growing up in Juneau muskrats used to be fairly common in the Mendenhall Valley. Around the early 1990’s they flat disappeared.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/09/20 04:37 AM

Pretty good write up! I went out with frozenokie a few times on the flats before he moved to the lower 48. He always emphasized wearing thick gloves when reaching down in those holes, guess he got nipped a few times smile Hope you and the family catch a bunch, pretty good bait for just about everything else!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/11/20 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by mad_mike
Pretty neat bfich. Growing up in Juneau muskrats used to be fairly common in the Mendenhall Valley. Around the early 1990’s they flat disappeared.

The rats have been scarce around here the past 6 plus years. I hope they are trending towards a population boom. We have had high water the last two years that filled in some dried up lakes. I think it may have helped some. Also been seeing new beaver houses and old ones revived, since the lakes have water again.

Originally Posted by HFT AK
Pretty good write up! I went out with frozenokie a few times on the flats before he moved to the lower 48. He always emphasized wearing thick gloves when reaching down in those holes, guess he got nipped a few times smile Hope you and the family catch a bunch, pretty good bait for just about everything else!

I am not a great muskrat trapper by any means. This is just the my dad showed me, but he is still a better rat trapper than me. I have always barehanded it. I don't like trying to feel around with gloves/gauntlets. Pretty cold at -10 though. I have froze my hand to the trap a number of times and just put my hand in the water until it thaws. Never been bit yet, but I don't going shoving my hand in when checking traps. Haha!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/11/20 03:46 AM

Rode around about 2/3 of the trapline today. Don't like the weather. About 32 degrees and starting sprinkling when I got back. I had made some sets the other day for fox and otter/mink. I also have one muskrat set out. The fox traps were decommissioned by the snow and thawing/freezing we've been having. The muskrat trap was set off and stuffed full of lake plants. All around the trap was muskrat fur and mink tracks all over the place. I think we were after the same thing and he beat me to it. Maybe he will be there waiting for me next time. Did connect on a mink in a set that caught a few mink and an otter last year.

[Linked Image]

Still a little rough in places with only five inches of snow most of which came last night along with strong winds. It made for not much fresh sign to see. Some lynx, weasel, mink, and marten tracks. Our hares have just about dropped off the map so not sure how that will affect things this season. Maybe the lynx that are around will be more apt to come to sets. There is a pack of wolves around somewhere too, but no sign of them this trip.

Fox/lynx trail snare

[Linked Image]

Was driving through a dry lake with knee high grass and ran over something hard. No trees around so I turned around to see if just maybe . . . Yep it sure was! Might bring a chainsaw and ice pick to get it out of the ice next time. Guessing from last winter. I wonder how many times I drove by it last spring. I'll have to see if my track has a hole in it.

[Linked Image]

Might of found the previous owner of my newfound treasure. He was with another smaller bull and two cows.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/11/20 07:30 PM

Thanks for the how too!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/11/20 09:13 PM

Thanks. Maybe only once have I ever seen a muskrat house. Only see pushups and they seem hard to get a trap in.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/12/20 05:54 AM

Have always set lynx snares higher, 10/11 in, off the ground. Fox 8 in. What loop size and height you use to catch either?

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/12/20 08:08 PM

I don't measure height or loop size. I just eyeball it. I know because these snares are set in a place that may catch either (last year caught two of each at this location) I set them a little lower than I normally would for lynx. I think the stick going over the snare at an angle is important especially in this case.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/13/20 02:41 AM

Nice on the mink!! Snare looks good for kitty and fox. I normally put a jump stick over my snares like that to help keep the moose out of them, it helps a lot. Id wait till spring to get those antlers! To much work right there smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/13/20 03:49 AM

Too Late! You should have warned me sooner! Haha! I cant get to this area except when these are froze up good and I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I went and got it. It is thawing out right now. Will post pictures sometime.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/13/20 03:55 AM

Look forward to seeing them!
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/13/20 04:26 AM

[Linked Image]

We cut and chiseled out these antlers but managed cut off some brow tines with the chainsaw.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/15/20 09:34 PM

I found this moose about 6 or 7 tears ago following yote tracks. It took me two trips and alot of hacking to get it out. I have found 3 whole moose with horns over the years during trapping season. All of them sub legal and from the decay probably shot during moose season. Looking forward for them to start dropping their antlers this year, got 3 or 4 good rubs right beside my trail smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/16/20 12:26 AM

That's neat you found those. A few years ago, I was toodling around a meadow with about a foot of snow on the ground, when I was brought to an abrupt halt, almost flying over the handle bars because I was standing up while riding, looking for shed antlers. When I got off to see what stopped me, I found it was a dead head, upside down, with one antler frozen in the water, and the other antler above ground at an angle, and the tip of one of my skis had went under the upside down paddle, bringing me to a dead stop. No trees within a hundred yards of where I was, thought I was safe standing up while driving.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/16/20 05:22 PM

The pack was close and howling when we pulled up. I walked down the trail a ways and found this 1/2 rack but couldn't find the other. GOOD DAY!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/16/20 08:11 PM

Awesome black wolf!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/16/20 08:23 PM

Thank You Ryan, got big $ for him. The whole pack was black!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/16/20 09:08 PM

I initially thought about trying to chop it out the day I found it, but it was big enough and the ice thick enough that I came back later with a chainsaw and ice pick. Even then it was still a chore as it was connected to the bottom by all the lake plants. Got a birch pole and went around it prying as I went. I misjudged the size/shape as I shaved off the top of the paddle with the chainsaw. Not in the best shape but a nice find.

[Linked Image]

Let it sit and warm up for a few days and then pulled all the mud and weeds off.

[Linked Image]

There are some guys around here that find a lot of horns each winter/spring. I on the other hand am fortunate to find one every couple years. I just don't spend much time looking for them and the guys that do usually get there before I do. The three I have found have all been in water.

The first one I ever found was when we were out spring geese hunting. The family and I were canoeing down a slough. There was about two feet of water on top of the ice and I looked down in the water and there it was on top of the ice. The small ones are the real trophies because they are more difficult to find. grin

[Linked Image]

Last spring we were again heading out on snow machine to go geese hunting and I looked across a lake and saw what I thought was a muskrat push up. I headed over there curious as I had not seen any on this lake before. Turns out it was a paddle sticking out. My guess is that it was shot the previous fall and not found.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/16/20 09:50 PM

One year trapping the lower Novi, I kept seeing the fox working a spot in the ice of the river. Finally decided to check it out. There was some hair, moose hair. Kept chopping ice and finally realized it was a whole moose.” Came back the next day with the ice spit and chainsaw. Dog team also. Didn’t own a snogo those days.
Got the whole thing loose and tied the dogs to it but couldn’t get it all up over the ice. Ended up chopping off the part that I got out of the ice and left the rest in the river. Dog food and some bait. Meat was pretty sour since most of it had been in the water.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/16/20 10:02 PM

One year I was running a plowtruck opening the ice road and I felt my plow run over something. Turns out it was a moose frozen in the river ice and my one way plow skinned the exposed part.. Foxes ate down into the ice and I shot quite a few of them watching over that hole. Eventually I had to go and fill it in with water though to avoid any accidents. Another year I found a cow and calf frozen in out by my spring geese camp. Caught some foxes but the wolves and wolverines avoided it for some reason I still cant figure out.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/16/20 11:59 PM

Good deal on the find and getting it out smile This time of year I always look for the fresh rubs, come the end of the month or when ever it decides to get real cold -20 or so I make it a point to swing by them and look for antlers. I have had pretty good luck doing that but most I find on my trail.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/17/20 02:53 AM

Good , Thanks

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/17/20 03:44 AM

Very nice finds on the moose horns ! Years ago while trapping beaver I found a bull buffalo skull in a beaver dam no caps and a long way from any buffalo pastures that I knew of . Keep the great pictures and story's coming !
Allan

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/21/20 03:48 AM

Thanks for the tips and stories! Will be getting a late start on the trapline this year. The family and I are in Fairbanks and we are expecting our fourth any day now. Exciting times!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/21/20 05:02 AM

Awesome to hear and I wish you guys the best!!
Posted By: Aknative

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/22/20 06:00 AM

Here's hoping for a smooth delivery!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/22/20 09:33 AM

Congratulations in advance I hope for nothing but the best for your growing family ! Remember this Allan is a good strong name for a boy ha ha !

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/22/20 11:06 PM

Thank you! We have three girls and it looks like the one on the way is a boy. (Poor kid will have 4 moms!) We have not completely decided on a name.
Allan- I will put the idea out there, but I am not making any promises. Haha!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/23/20 05:08 AM

Ha ha well it's just a thought Leroy is a good middle name to since I'm being bold . Ha ha
If this one is a boy he will be tough with all those sisters and the hand me downs won't be very fun for him ha ha
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/23/20 06:22 AM

Congrats on the new addition.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/24/20 09:48 PM

I have an uncle Leroy, it is also my grandpa's middle name, and my father-in-laws middle name. You have a better chance with that one.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/25/20 03:48 AM

Ha ha ok if you say so ! Don't forget to stock up on cigars before the new addition gets here !

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/25/20 04:42 AM

Probably have to quarantine when you get back to the vill, eh? Plenty of trapping time then.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/26/20 03:56 AM

Yeah, it was one week with test and then cleared after test is negative. Now it is two weeks.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/29/20 10:48 PM

Praise God! Our fourth child has arrived without incident and everyone continues to be well! Our first boy so it is a new adventure!
Happy to be back together as a family!

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/29/20 10:59 PM

Congrats you all sure look happy!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/29/20 11:12 PM

Awesome and congrats to you and your wife!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/29/20 11:27 PM

Congratulations on the new addition as I mentioned before hand me downs are going to be a bugger for the little man and heaven help whomever messes with him if his big sisters hear about it ha ha !
Allan
Posted By: AK TRAPR

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/29/20 11:43 PM

Good to hear Congrats

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 11/30/20 04:28 AM

Congratulations!
Posted By: g smith

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/01/20 02:17 AM

Grace and Blessings be with you all .

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/01/20 05:17 AM

Thank you all! We are all very happy even if a bit tired. I don't think he will be getting very many hand-me-downs.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/01/20 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by bfisch
Thank you! We have three girls and it looks like the one on the way is a boy. (Poor kid will have 4 moms!) We have not completely decided on a name.
Allan- I will put the idea out there, but I am not making any promises. Haha!

That was me, I've got 3 older sisters. I used to tell people I had 4 moms when I was growing up, lol. Congrats on the new addition!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/01/20 08:10 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/01/20 04:50 PM

Congrats on the birth of your son, everyone sure looks happy!
Posted By: trapz

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/02/20 04:56 PM

Congratulations from Leslie and me in Noorvik! Hopefully we meet again at NMT one day.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/03/20 08:39 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by smalltimetrapper

That was me, I've got 3 older sisters. I used to tell people I had 4 moms when I was growing up, lol. Congrats on the new addition!

I've been telling people he will be well mothered!

Originally Posted by trapz
Congratulations from Leslie and me in Noorvik! Hopefully we meet again at NMT one day.

Thanks brother! Didn't know you were on here. Sure would enjoy seeing you both again! Feel free to snow machine over sometime.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/03/20 09:10 PM

Well what did you folks name the little man ? Length and weight ?
Posted By: trapz

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/04/20 03:58 AM

That would be fun; done it twice, but in the 80s.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/05/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
Well what did you folks name the little man ? Length and weight ?

Boaz Edward
7lbs 3oz
19" long

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/05/20 01:32 AM

That's a good strong name for the young man !
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/05/20 07:20 AM

Great name, lots of character.
Posted By: run

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/05/20 01:01 PM

Nice thread.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/11/20 02:10 AM

Made it home with the family yesterday after three weeks in Fairbanks. It was good to be in town to have my parents and my wife's parents come to see their newest grandson, but we are all glad to be home. Changed out the battery on my Skandic today and the week before I went to Fairbanks both headlights on my Polaris went out. I think it is the voltage regulator. From what I hear from other guys who have had the same issue is I have a 50/50 chance of solving the problem if I install a new regulator. Temperature has been dropping today from -4 to -30 right now. When it warms up a little I plan to go out and break some trail.

In the mean time I am going to enjoy some moose dry meat with bear fat!

[Linked Image]

This is some of the fat from the bear I got this past September.

[Linked Image]

I cut it into 1/2 inch cubes and put it into a pan on low heat.

[Linked Image]

It is important to not let it get too hot and burn.

[Linked Image]

As the fat renders I pour the accumulated grease through a strainer into glass jars. I return it to the stove and let it continue to render. I continue this process until the pieces of fat turn to cracklings about 1/4 of their original cut size.

[Linked Image]

Once complete I keep the full jars in the freezer. The one I am currently working on is usually kept in the fridge where it will easily last a month before going bad (it is always eaten long before). Sometimes I will keep it in the freezer for a different consistency.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/11/20 02:48 AM

I am going to have to give that a try. Thanks for showing how you make it!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/11/20 05:51 AM

Bear lard is supposed to be very good for making bread.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/11/20 04:53 PM

Always heard bear lard was great for baking bread products have to give it a try now that I see how rendering is accomplished. Thanks!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/11/20 06:53 PM

Any recipes for the bread? I would guess it replaces the shortening.
I know other people put the fat in a crockpot on low and ladle it out, but I haven't tried that way yet.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/11/20 08:33 PM

Geese lard makes good pie crust and bread too.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/12/20 01:03 AM

Ya back in the day been rendered out the bear fat - the original Crisco. WTG to keep up back in the day stuff.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/14/20 03:59 AM

Finally made it out on the line yesterday. It was good going and only one spot with a little overflow. I only made it about half way around the line and came back. Set up marten poles, lynx cubbies, and a mink/otter set. No wolf sign, but I suspect once they find my trail they will make use of it. Wanted to go out again today, but the wind is brutal and is supposed to be again tomorrow.

Waiting for the mink that went by the night before.

[Linked Image]

Lynx cubby. Had a trail camera on this set last year and missed a wolverine that didn't commit.

[Linked Image]

All the fur I sent to out to be tanned last spring came back. I think the wife will be stocked up on fur for sewing for a while.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/14/20 04:21 AM

Good deal! Hope you connect! What do you have in the cubby for the kitties?
Posted By: waggler

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/14/20 09:10 AM

^^^^^
Regarding the post about rendering bear fat:
Do you know if bear fat will render-out as easily as seal fat by putting it in hot water and skimming off the top. Or does bear fat require more heat?

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/14/20 07:27 PM

Good deal! Hope you connect! What do you have in the cubby for the kitties?

It is a duck head that stinks just a little. Never tried it before, but I have heard that some who collar lynx place a duck in the back of the cage to catch them. I also have a cd hanging above the set.

Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^
Regarding the post about rendering bear fat:
Do you know if bear fat will render-out as easily as seal fat by putting it in hot water and skimming off the top. Or does bear fat require more heat?

Never been around seal fat rendering process. Bear fat at room temperature is basically liquid, fridge temps more solid, and when frozen it is barely soft enough to scrape/spoon some out. The only seal oil I have seen was in liquid form. I don't know at what temperature it solidifies. Not sure but I would guess it has to be even colder than bear fat to hit a solid state.

I have also never heard of anyone rendering bear fat with hot water. It would seem it would be difficult to not get some water in the jars unless you left a portion of the fat in the pot with the water. If water got in the jar it would sink to the bottom and be trapped there.
Maybe someone with seal oil experience will give some input.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/20/20 07:46 AM

After setting up the line the wind really picked up along with some fresh snow. I don't remember the drifts being this hard everywhere in years past. It is downright rough going. The first check yielded snares and cubbies drifted in. It has been hard to see what is moving with the constant wind and fresh snow. That said, it seems that the marten population is down. I haven't see much for tracks in the timber lines like I normally do. If this appears to be the case the next few checks I may just snap my pole sets and give them a chance to rebound.

Second check was much more productive.

I caught an old gnarly fox at this location last year after an extended cold stretch. Unfortunately, a lynx found him before I did and had supper leaving me with a head and scraps of fur. I set it up again this year with fox in mind. Couldn't see the snare or any disturbance when I rolled up. I figured the wind knocked it over and it drifted in. I was pleasantly surprised when I uncovered some gray fur! Kicked myself for not having a shovel to dig him out. Oh well, it didn't take to long. First lynx of the season!

[Linked Image]

The next catch was at a location that picked out last year thinking it was a good spot for marten and lynx. I only caught a lone weasel there and only saw a single set of lynx tracks go through the area. I drove by it again this year and thought to myself, "It looks like such a great location." I went another 20 yards before turning around. I just had to set it up it just looked too good. I made a nice lynx cubby at the same tree as last year, wired part of a duck carcass to the tree at lynx eye level, hung some bright red chicken feathers in a nearby tree, dabbed some gusto on a limb above the set, and set the #4 duke coil neatly covered with snow. Everything came together this year as lynx number two was waiting for me. When I took out the camera the batteries were dead. So the picture had to wait until I made it home.

[Linked Image]

I planned on breaking trail into the rest of the line that day, but it was getting dark and I don't really care to go somewhere in the dark that I haven't been to recently. What really made up my mind was getting stuck in a big drift. I didn't take it head on and glance off to the left leaving my right ski up on the drift and the left ski 2 1/2 feet lower. Yep I was sideways! I tried the reverse, go forward, and repeat trick, but that was only creating more of a problem. Time to kick myself again for not having a shovel. The drift was solid all the way down. I took my ax and started carving out chunks in front of the machine and on the right side. Before long I had my hat and coat off. At the end I was sore not so much from digging the snow machine out, but from kicking myself. With the lost time I headed towards home. The rest of the line will have to wait for another day.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/20/20 07:58 AM

Sweet deal on the kitties! I run a bunch of those Dukes for them as well smile Feel your pain in getting stuck! Pack a shovel smile Hope you connect with a bunch more! Thanks for sharing!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/21/20 05:48 AM

Nice cats.
Snowshoes and shovel always in the sleigh.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/23/20 02:35 AM

Made it out again yesterday. Still really windy. My second oldest asked to ride along. I had her dress up pretty warm because of the wind. We had a good ride and I brought my shovel along, but didn't need it to dig myself out this time. First set is a mink/otter set I threw a fish head in a hole and placed a 220 in front. Looks like a mink came by and grabbed the fish head which then got caught while the mink skedaddled.

Some friends found a moose shed the other day and so I had it on my mind. I know where a couple bulls have been hanging out and was going to search the area a bit. Ran into the group of bulls and it looks like they are keeping their headgear. . . for now.

[Linked Image]

Last trap of the day held the only critter of the day. My girl was sure excited!

[Linked Image]

On the way home we spooked a fox who was sleeping on the downwind side of a beaver house. I don't think he could hear us because the wind was whipping into our faces. Nice seeing wildlife even when they are not in traps.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/23/20 03:17 AM

Hahaha that has happened to me more times then I can count with having the bait in the jaws and no critter smile You need to look around were those moose are rubbing, I will get a few pics tomorrow of a few that I have my eye on, seems like were they have rubs is were I find the antlers most of the time. Good on you for taking the youngster out smile Dad time is always the best smile Good looking marten! Hope the weather gets better for you!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/27/20 06:14 AM

The wind finally slowed down. Went out today and saw a good amount of fresh sign. Lynx, fox, mink, marten, and ermine all have been on the move.

Wolves also came through for the first time. By the looks of it, there is only two that came onto the line. I followed their track long enough to put a few snares in, but they pretty much just passed through except at one place they must have spooked a bedded moose and messed around with it for a couple minutes and then went on their way.

[Linked Image]

Lotsa action, but not what I was hoping for. Mink set was drifted in so he made his own hole through the snow to get to the fish head. Lynx stepped all over the trap at a hanging bait (the trap was 6 inches under with a thin crust over it) then he skirted a snare because the blocking around it had drifted in. Two other lynx exited the trail each about 100 yards before my set. Another came closer but was interested enough. I did end up with 4 squirrels and a rabbit. A marten came to one with a squirrel and took the bait and left the squirrel, while the second ate the bait and the squirrel. The rabbit was missing its head and a front leg. Trail camera picture revealed a happy owl (same exact thing happened at this set last year). Nice to know what is around anyway. I think everything was really moving because the wind took a break.

I made my way to a particular spot on the river today where I have crossed in the past. The last 150 feet are through thick bar willows and I wasn't sure what the bank looked like this year so I parked the machine and walked. On the edge of the willows was a nearly vertical drift 10 ft tall. It was literally a wall in the trail. In years past the highest I have seen it was maybe 4 ft. I climbed up the hard drift to see the river and was standing among the tops of the trees above all the moose breaks/chewing. I thought it was interesting, because there were either ruffed grouse or ptarmigan tracks going back and forth among the willow tops. They were able to sit in the snow and pick buds rather than perch on the tree tops. Well, I haven't ruled out that particular river crossing, but if I'm going to use it I am going to need a bigger shovel.

A grass lake near one of my lynx sets.
[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 12/27/20 07:42 AM

Well you know those kitties have 9 lives smile Sounds like they used a few smile Bites about the drifts, hope the weather holds for you and you connect!
Posted By: AKHowler

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/03/21 03:11 AM

Congrats on the new little boy and the fur
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/03/21 06:06 PM

Last evening concluded the early winter muskrat chase. After picking my two older girls up from school, the three of us raced out to check 4 muskrat sets. Walking up to the first set I noticed the area quite disturbed and soon saw a dark head sticking out of a hole. After not getting anything yesterday, my oldest was disappointed especially since her younger sister had caught a muskrat before she did. (Being a step behind a younger sibling is always frustrating!)

As we walked closer she said, "I got a muskrat!" Then she changed it to, "It's a mink! I just caught a mink didn't I! It's better than a muskrat and maybe I can even keep the skull!" The excitement of catching a mink more than made up for the empty trap the day before.

[Linked Image]

Not many can say that the first thing they ever caught was a mink. I didn't catch my first mink until I was 17. Well. . . I was out-trapped these past two days as both days my traps were empty, but if I have to be out-trapped I can't think of anyone I would rather be outdone by than my own family!

Congrats.A mink was my very first catch ever in a muskrat set.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/03/21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

Congrats.A mink was my very first catch ever in a muskrat set.

You are the only other one I have heard of that has a mink as their first catch!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/03/21 07:11 PM

Was heading out the other day and before I even made it out of town I saw something standing on the side of the road at a four way split. Kinda an odd place to just be standing there, I thought as I slowed down to get a better look. It was a big brownish gray dog. As soon as I slowed it took off and right away I could tell by the way it acted and moved it was not somebodies' dog. The big wolf was now bounding through the snow back towards town. I followed its track for about 45 minutes through the thickest small spruce around until I gave up. Apparently, a couple wolves had been in the area as they had trails going this way and that through the thick stuff. Some excitement anyway.

Been real slow on the line as far as catches. I snapped all but a few of my marten sets and will try to focus a little more on lynx and wolves. The wolves came back but to a different portion of the line than last time. I set a few snares and plan to bring some footholds next time.

The lynx were uninterested in my sets and avoided the snares. I am seeing more rabbit sign than I had originally seen and guess the cats are not too hungry. They are around though so I will keep trying. There is also a fair amount of fox sign in places. I haven't tried for them much this season so may have to add that to the list as well.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/03/21 07:30 PM

That would be exciting smile Wish I had a population of wolves around my line.
I know that feeling, mid season trapper time blues, full moon, clear nights, or crappy weather, All part of what we love smile
Don't give up on the kitty's, a friend of mine, who has put up a zillion kitty's, suggested that when the cats start losing interest in your cubbies, snare pens, baits, it is time to switch over to pee post, They have one thing on their mind, finding a mate. He collects the urine from his catch's, yote urine will work as well. He says the sets you have out will still catch their eye they will investigate but wont commit, but if there is a pee post by it they will absolutely do their thing smile
As for the snares, safety in numbers smile They do have 9 lives and I feel that frustration, under, over, around, through, and when you do connect with one, there is that feeling of accomplishment smile
Hope the tide turns for you and you start connecting!!!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/09/21 06:08 AM

Things continue to be slow on the line, but the cats are still around and I made a new trail out to the river. It took me a while driving around to find the best way but I finally made it. Good amount of wolf sign on the sand bar. I put in a couple pee posts on drift logs and also added a few sets in other areas as well.

This is the view out on the river
[Linked Image]

I made a new to me set this last time out. The wolves use this trail to check out my bait pile and put in a trench trail set. It was described by Oh Snap on another thread and I also used the technique described by white17 in that same thread.
[Linked Image]

You are welcome to critique it as this is the first time I have tried it. Some may not like my drag, but that's ok. This is the set before I drove over it blending it further.
[Linked Image]

I have a marten pole that has had regular activity since the beginning of the season, but has yet to connect. I put a trail camera on it to see what was happening. Here our a couple shots from the video produced.
Here the marten is straddling the trap and soon after it hops over the trap the rest of the way.
[Linked Image]

The marten then took the bait and hopped off. I have since moved the bait so it is located more directly below the trap.
[Linked Image]

He then came back and sniffed around for some more. Not finding anything he proceeded to straddle the trap again, but this time in the reverse direction. He then rubbed the pole (seen in the picture below) and set off the trap with his stomach. He was temporarily spooked by the snap and ran a few feet down the pole. He quickly did a 180 to come and investigate the snap and sniff around some more before leaving.
[Linked Image]

I assume that the marten is marking the area when they are or at least appear to do the rubbing action. I have caught this same behavior on camera in early fall as well. Are they urinating or rubbing scent glands or both?

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/09/21 06:19 AM

Cool to see that with the marten. smile That trench set looks good! Hopefully one will hit it! I might give that a test run if the weather gets right.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/09/21 04:23 PM

That trench set looks just like I envisioned it. Cant wait to put my own in tomorrow. Those marten pics sure are fun to see, makes me wonder if I have had similar things happen at my sets in the past. I have no idea why its straddling the pole like that, but I am very curious.
Posted By: Wolverine Hunter

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/09/21 06:42 PM

I think that trench set will totally work if they come through and spend some time. I've seen quite a few youtube videos of guys doing that. The bigger the pack, the better, and then it's more a matter of time and chance and keeping the trap working. Where I come from in Minnesota, I really wanted to do this. We have a lot of wolves there. They follow the logging roads, of which there are many. HUGE networks of them. Usually at the trail intersections, they will spend a lot of time peeing and scratching - then head on off down the trail for a bit before fanning out. When I would grouse hunt the trails, I would see the wolf trans in the same exact spots time after time, and dream of putting a trap there. But alas, Minnesota only had it's wolf trapping season for one year, before the anti's got it taken away. Trump gave power back to the states recently - but you can guess what's going to happen with that. Doesn't matter so much for me anymore because a non-resident can't trap in MN, but I have pals who would sure love to. Hope you get that wolf! Cool Marten pics. I enjoy following all the journals including yours.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/10/21 06:42 PM

Cool to see that with the marten. smile That trench set looks good! Hopefully one will hit it! I might give that a test run if the weather gets right.

I do not envy the weather reports you give for your area. The wind has been my nemesis this year, but at least I haven't had any dramatic temperature swings.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/10/21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by broncoformudv
That trench set looks just like I envisioned it. Cant wait to put my own in tomorrow. Those marten pics sure are fun to see, makes me wonder if I have had similar things happen at my sets in the past. I have no idea why its straddling the pole like that, but I am very curious.

Be sure to get some pictures when you make a catch in the set. smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/10/21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
I think that trench set will totally work if they come through and spend some time. I've seen quite a few youtube videos of guys doing that. The bigger the pack, the better, and then it's more a matter of time and chance and keeping the trap working. Where I come from in Minnesota, I really wanted to do this. We have a lot of wolves there. They follow the logging roads, of which there are many. HUGE networks of them. Usually at the trail intersections, they will spend a lot of time peeing and scratching - then head on off down the trail for a bit before fanning out. When I would grouse hunt the trails, I would see the wolf trans in the same exact spots time after time, and dream of putting a trap there. But alas, Minnesota only had it's wolf trapping season for one year, before the anti's got it taken away. Trump gave power back to the states recently - but you can guess what's going to happen with that. Doesn't matter so much for me anymore because a non-resident can't trap in MN, but I have pals who would sure love to. Hope you get that wolf! Cool Marten pics. I enjoy following all the journals including yours.

Packs around here usually are less than 10. My parents are in MN and my dad can share a few stories of running into wolves. Once the family dog got chased until the pair came right close to my dad and he waved his hatchet and yelled at them. They just trotted off nonchalantly. Hope they get their season back sometime soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/13/21 06:49 AM

I snagged a fox my first fox of the season. Usually I am about done with fox around this time, but things are a little whacky this season. I started about a month late after being in town with the family waiting for our boy to be born and then with the transition back to home it was slow getting gear out and breaking open trails. That's alright family takes precedence over trapping.

[Linked Image]

Not much moving on the line. The wolves are playing leap frog with me. They go through, I lay down gear, they go through somewhere else, I put out more gear, and so on. Either I will run out of traps and snares or start nabbing them here and there or maybe they got me figured out and will just move somewhere else. Still fun getting out and occasionally I haul some wood home.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/13/21 07:11 AM

Good looking fox! With our wacky weather here I know it won't be long before they get those rub spots from laying in the snow and ice pulling the guard hairs out. Yep family first smile Keep after those wolves, like chess they will eventually make the wrong move smile Hope the weather turns good for you and you connect with some more critters!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/13/21 08:41 AM

Good stuff. Hope you connect with a wolf.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/14/21 06:30 AM

Might as well keep trying.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/19/21 04:22 AM

It has been really warm with skiffs of snow each day. Today we hit 20 above so my oldest daughter joined me to go check sets and grab a load a wood.

This lynx had followed my trail for several hundred yards. On my two previous trips through the foxes were all over the trail. So I made a trench set the width of my ax head in my trail with fox in mind. I set a bridger 1.65 offset and nabbed him by three toes. He made it about 30 feet on the birch drag. My girl was excited! I guess it is the first live lynx she has seen.

[Linked Image]

Had a 220 over a hole in the snow by a beaver house and it was ready when this guy came back through.

[Linked Image]

We also brought home a load of wood. I made a fire for my daughter to warm up by while I cut wood. Then we loaded it together and rode home. Good day!

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/19/21 06:08 AM

That is totally awesome!!!!! Glad you had her along when you connected! Good looking kitty and otter smile Now that you broke the dry spell I hope things continue to pick up for you!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/19/21 04:50 PM

What are you cutting in the wood yard? Dead spruce, birch?

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/19/21 04:57 PM

What a nice day to be out with your family on the line and you got some good catches!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/20/21 07:22 PM

HFT AK- I hope so too! The wolves have been gone for a couple weeks now and I expect them to come back sometime in the next week or less. I think they must have got a moose somewhere else and are fat and lazy for now.

martentrapper- I am cutting dead standing spruce. I wouldn't mind burning more birch, but dead is rotten and green is heavy.

broncoformudv- It was a good! If the warm weather continues I will continue to take them out as opportunity allows.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/21/21 12:17 AM

Green birch is the wood of choice to stoke the stove just before bedtime!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/21/21 01:05 PM

Nice pictures and catches.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/21/21 06:06 PM

Green birch is the wood of choice to stoke the stove just before bedtime!

I have heard others say the same thing, but with the blaze kings even a nice spruce log can make it through the night.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/22/21 10:55 PM

Ran the line yesterday. The lynx are still playing games with me. I put in another couple sets for them including pee posts with urine collected on sight from the last one I caught. The wolves seemed to have disappeared. Not sure when they will come back. The snow was sticky from how warm it is so I came home a little wet. Sure is nice having a dry pair of extra gloves for the ride home.

1st trap of the day and the only catch of the day. About half the traps had too much snow on them to be effective anyway.
[Linked Image]

It was snowing nicely when I was out and uncovered all the traps and adjusted snares that needed to be. Forecast called for 1-2 inches which would have been perfect for cover up traps and my sign. After I got home last night the blizzard began and we ended up with 4-5 inches and today it is raining. Yuck! I guess I can expect to get everything back in working order next trip out. I feel for you guys that deal with this kind of problem on a regular basis.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/22/21 11:02 PM

The weather sure likes to play games with trappers. Its hard to beat a dry pair of gloves or mittens for the ride home. I have started carrying spares of those as well a spare dry facemask.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/22/21 11:37 PM

Good looking mink! Have you seen much sign of them? My numbers here are way down, not much track. Hang in there with the kitties! The one thing have learned is the more gear you get out for them the better the odds smile Yeah the weather bites this year, still have time though for it to get cold and steady!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/23/21 02:45 AM

Weather sure plays a huge factor. I am glad they are calling for the temperature to drop back below 0.

This has been an average year as far as mink sign goes. I don't go after them much. I also miss some using 220s, but I am ok with that because I think it is mostly the smaller females that are getting around the trigger wires. Right now I only have three sets that are for mink/otter. A few years ago it seemed like there were mink everywhere. I don't remember how many I ended the season with, but I caught six in the first month which is more than I have catch a season.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/23/21 04:08 AM

I am hoping mink prices go up, especially with all the culling they did in Europe. Have you thought about using pans on the 220's? I run a mix half and half, they work pretty slick.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/23/21 04:19 AM

I also like mink trapping, but have not intentionally set for them for several years. Still have mink at the auction house going into sale 5-6? XXL DRK-XD, 1.
I live and trap in mink heaven, and end up with 6-8 in marten boxes every year, (climbers).
Last time I actually had a few sets out for them, I got 18 in 3 weeks.
That was the year AFTER I averaged almost $30.00 each.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/23/21 08:06 PM

HFT AK- I have never tried pans on body grips. I guess I have not been that interested in trying yet.

AV- Climbers intrigue me, but I have not heard of anyone around here catching them off the ground. I keep thinking one of these days it will happen. $30 average would convince me to make a few more mink sets. The year I caught the most I sold a couple in Fairbanks for $20 and kept the rest. Since then I just keep them for personal use or give them away.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/23/21 11:12 PM

I get a “wave” of climbing mink each season right about the second week of January. About one out of six of my elevated marten sets will get hit. The only other commonality besides the timing is that the climbing poles have a shallow slope to them. I have not had a mink in an elevated vertical set, yet.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/24/21 01:39 AM

Interesting observation AV. I know mink can climb. I once had one in my arctic entry. I closed the door behind me and tried to get him. He climbed the wall studs straight up with ease and ran around in the rafters before I finally ended his exploration.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/26/21 08:12 PM

Beautiful day on the line yesterday! Right around 5 above and sunny clear skies. I even had to hold up my hand a couple times to see the trail it was so bright!
Had a friend join me for the ride.

Snared this nice little red in a trail snare set in my snow machine trail.
[Linked Image]

A lot of the time was spent digging out snowed in and/or crusted over traps. Most of the snares were still good with the 4 inches of snow and a bit of rain that we got since the last time I was out.
Best I can figure is that this lynx was caught the night of the snow.
[Linked Image]

And then this lynx came by, killed it, and began to eat. The lynx (killer) had been on and off the trail zigzagging every which way for the last 3 miles. The set is on the far side of a bigger lake that I cross. Usually the wolves frequent the lake this time of year, but I have been seeing more lynx tracks so I put in a couple lynx sets and some snares. Driving up I noticed the lynx slowly walking away from the set to more cover and thought, "Man! I just spooked him off the set!" I quickly came to a stop and unshouldered the .22 mag. The lynx had stopped at the top of the bank to look back but all I could see was the head sticking out behind a tree. I shot and it ran further in the thick stuff. I restarted the machine, raced up to the set, jumped off, and ran up the hill gun in hand. At the top of the bank I found blood and began scanning the trees for anything. Nothing! I took one step in the direction the lynx ran and there he was just sitting there about 30 feet away facing the other direction. I quickly finished him and claimed my prize.
[Linked Image]

The lynx that was eaten on could have been a lot worse and as far as I can tell the majority of the pelt will be salvageable for sewing. We don't use the head for sewing anyway.
It was a great day to be out and the action is always a bonus!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/26/21 11:41 PM

Great day on the line.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/27/21 02:29 AM

Good deal on getting that joker before he ate the whole thing! Pretty looking fox! The temps dropped here as well and the critters are on the prowl! Hope you connect with a few more cats!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/27/21 03:16 AM

Glad you got the cannibal.
Posted By: Wolverine Hunter

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/30/21 02:46 PM

Cool Lynx story.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/30/21 04:17 PM

Thankfully you caught that lynx in the act and managed to get it. Nice going! So far the lynx on our line avoid caught lynx like the plague, they will be walking along the river and when they get close to a caught one they will jump off the trail go around the caught one then come back onto our trail.
Posted By: Nunamiut

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/31/21 04:02 AM

Interesting, I never knew lynx are canibals.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/31/21 07:18 AM

Went out on Thursday. It was -30 when I took off and a balmy 0 when I got home. Tonight is -40. The trip sure had its ups and downs. Most everything was exactly how I left it. Only three sets had been touched. the bait out off two marten poles were gone. One knocked the trap off the pole and at the second the marten had jumped up from underneath wrestling the bait off the wire all the while using its weight to unravel the wire holding the bait. The trail camera showed video of the whole thing, but because it was video it was difficult to get a still shot to share because he was moving so fast.

This is after he had the bait half way down and off.
[Linked Image]

Since I have not been seeing much wolf sign I went further on out to the river in a place I have no sets to take a look. Sure enough the wolves (maybe about 4) had walked along the bar. I plan to bring a couple traps for the location next time. Later on down the line I came out to the place I had last seen wolf tracks along another bar and upon first coming out of the willows there was no sign. I went along further and saw the last pee post I had set out was empty. It is easily seen from about 1/2 mile away. I continued on toward it hoping to put it one more trap on a drift log on the opposing sand bar. When I got closer there were wolf tracks everywhere. I was surprised that the trap was empty and drove up to the set to see that being empty was not always the case. I had a wolf for a short time, but obviously not anymore. I was disappointed and hope that I didn't just educate all of them. At the location I saw two arm sized sticks that were laid in the snow that had not been there before. I can only guess the pack left them there. I remade the set and put in another on the other side of the river.

Before heading home and checking the last couple sets I cut a sleigh load of wood. On the ride home I checked a few fox snares that I had set up in my trail. The last time I had checked one of them a fox had walked right up to the snare and did a 180, but we had a little snow since then and there was one waiting for me. I reached in my inside coat pocket to grab my camera, but it wasn't there. I checked my other pockets, but nothing! I had taken the camera out to take a picture of the empty wolf trap and the snow tore up a little and I had taken my coat off when I was cutting up and loading firewood. I went back to those two locations and dug around in the snow for a good bit. Unfortunately, it is still missing. I am not so much concerned with the camera as I am with all the pictures on the SD card. It sure is a bummer losing all pictures from the last two years.

Here is the fox and wood (taken with my spare camera after getting home).
[Linked Image]

In light of eternity the lost pictures don't mean much, but today they certainly feel like a loss.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 01/31/21 07:59 AM

UGH! That sounds like a frustrating check! Crazy about the marten doing that with the bait, pretty cool you got that on camera smile Bites about missing the wolf, I hope you connect with them next time they come through! Good looking red!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/01/21 11:55 PM

What a huge loss with the missing camera... Had that happen once years ago and have tried being better about backing up pictures on a more regular basis. Hope you find it next time out. That marten is something else, can't believe it figured your sets out and is getting the bait like that. Makes me wonder if I had a smart one like that a couple years ago, I for sure thought a person was messing with my sets but couldn't ever find tracks due to the weather not cooperating.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/02/21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nunamiut
Interesting, I never knew lynx are canibals.

It can be a real problem for some. Especially when snaring family groups. Any not caught will cannibalize the others. I have been fortunate I have not lost very many.

HFT & broncoformudv-

It has been fun watching videos of the marten and if he can continue avoiding the trap I will be happy with the pictures. I could change up the set, add traps or additional sets, but am also having fun seeing the videos.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/02/21 10:13 PM

A little snow followed by two days of -50. That is what we got between my checks. Went out yesterday and I believe it was the nastiest weather I have ever checked traps in. I almost didn't go. It was -20 with gusts 40+ mph. The flats and the river were ground storms and even though my original intention was to make a couple more wolf sets on the river I opted to postpone. A single wolf came to a bait sight and broke out of a snare he was caught in. Bummer! Wolves 2 me 0. I feel like I am being humbled this year. I believe my sets are in good locations and they are starting to connect, but am having trouble holding them.

Made it out to the river by way of the trail I made this year and the first set is about 20 yards to the right after I hit the river. Empty and no sign. I drive down the bar and it appears that the brutal wind has uncovered the drift log my second trap is chained to. The wind is whipping and the snow flying but the drift appears to be moving, but it may just be an illusion from the weather. Nope it's a wolf! I quickly jack a round into the chamber and drive on ready for anything. I don't want to lose another. I soon saw a full paw in the trap and took time to snap a picture.

[Linked Image]

69 lb female

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/02/21 10:20 PM

Nicely done. That’s awesome !

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/02/21 10:37 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/02/21 10:50 PM

Nice job on the wolf,fur looks good.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/03/21 12:05 AM

Great job! Losing wolves due to equipment failures etc is a hard pill to swallow.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/03/21 05:15 AM

Download pics to the puter regularly. You appear to be graining ground on the critters. Good luck!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/06/21 07:18 PM

Went out again yesterday. It was a bit breezy but nothing like the last time I was out. I found another place to cross the river after cutting through willows and opening up some drifts. I was hoping to find some wolf sign, but instead I saw some fox and otter sign. There is also several beaver houses in a lake and drainage by some hills. One beaver house had tracks going around and on top of it. From a distance I figured otter, but there were no slide marks. The critter had bounded up and did the same coming off. I drove closer and then walked closer. Sure enough! Wolverine tracks! I am fortunate to find one track a year on my line a season, but knew there were some around and I think there is a better chance now that I am closer to the hill (also furthest point on the line). I made one set under a large lone spruce near by the beaver house. He had also urinated all over the top of the beaver house. Hope he comes back!

[Linked Image]

Caught this little lynx on the same lake I got the last two. No fresh wolf sign.

[Linked Image]

Here is how I make my wolves look bigger!

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/06/21 11:25 PM

Good deal on the kitty! Sounds like that wolverine was marking his turf! He will absolutely be back and I hope you connect! Haha that is a good way to make it look bigger smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/07/21 01:55 AM

Be sure and include the kid if you post pics to sell the wolf! Cute.
Wolverine seem to be more prevalent where there are hills or mountains. The hills west of you would likely be a place to improve chances of wolverine in my opinion.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/07/21 02:25 AM

Nice work

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/07/21 02:36 AM

Be sure and include the kid if you post pics to sell the wolf! Cute.
Wolverine seem to be more prevalent where there are hills or mountains. The hills west of you would likely be a place to improve chances of wolverine in my opinion.

Plus they should be a lot more active and covering more ground for the next 8 weeks or so

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/07/21 04:54 AM

I am really hoping for a wolverine! A couple people have caught them this year around here. I plan to bring out a couple 330s next time and maybe another foothold. Season goes longer for them and wolves than most other furbearers. So, I'm saying there's a chance!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/09/21 10:13 PM

Went out yesterday and saw some fresh sign. Lynx tracks in a couple places and the wolves came back to the same bar on the river where I caught the one. They avoided my sets, but are still working the area. Trying to figure out the best way to make a trail set with a trap without using river drift to chain to. They keep using a portion of my trail. I may just have to cut a huge drag that can't be pulled far (nothing to get snagged up on) or try hammering in some sort of stake which I have never tried before. Also put out a couple snares.

I set two 330s around that wolverine sign from last time. One is set in a cubby similar to my lynx cubbies but a little more closed in. The other I put on the beaver house and looks like a mock otter hole set. There is some bait in the bottom of the hole and it doesn't show well in the photo but hole is at about a 45 degree and 3 feet deep. Never tried much for wolverine. We'll see what happens.

[Linked Image]

Made new trail extending the line another 1 1/3 miles. I didn't do any cutting as I bounced from lake to lake. I'll clean up the trail in the future and if I want to get to where I want to go there will have to be some more serious cutting. I haven't decided for sure that this is the direction I want to take so until I do I don't want to expend too much energy/time on it.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/09/21 10:58 PM

This late in the year staking is pretty dang difficult especially in frozen ground. Rebar stakes work but you gotta get the thick ones, the smaller ones bend way to easy. An option for you depending on the temps would be to freeze your chain down. Nunamiut here on this forum does that with his on the open tundra. Pokes a hole as deep as he can, drop the chain in it and pour water in the hole. He has caught plenty of wolves with no issue using that method. If that section of trail is on water you could always tap a hole with an auger and do the same thing, or punch through the ice and push a stick attached to your chain or cable through and then tighten it.

I hope you connect with that wolverine smile I a rooting for you!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/09/21 11:34 PM

Thanks HFT AK!

If I was to drive in a 12 inch spike or get a hole and drop chain in and add water to freezer, how do I retrieve it at the end of the season. The bar where I want to set is sand, very powdery sand. If I waited until after break up it would be gone for good.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/10/21 12:07 AM

The bottom line is your going to lose those stakes if you cant retrieve them after break up. I use a lot of earth anchors, ie fox hollow super stakes, they go in pretty easy the beginning of the season. At the end of the season I just cut the cable, if I use rebar I cut the chain. I go through about a dozen a year and plan on it for the following year when I make my orders. A chunk of metal in the ground ain't going to hurt the environment smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/10/21 06:45 AM

That's kinda what I was thinking. Just wondered if there was a better option. Thanks!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/10/21 01:08 PM

Another thought after you either drill or punch a hole in the ground for the chain add a repair link to it fastening your trap chain to it after season remove the trap and leave the short chain .

Nice wolf and model to show it off ha ha !
Allan

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/16/21 03:00 AM

Great day to be out today! Sunny and -30 when I took off and sunny and 0 when I got home. Wolves haven't returned, but I did make a trail set on the bar. Tried pounding in a stake for a trap and it wasn't happening. Instead I ended up cutting a huge willow 5ft long and 12 inches in diameter for a drag. I don't really like the idea of a drag on the open sand bar but this one weighs enough that a wolf shouldn't get too far and if it does it will leave an obvious trail to follow.

This red followed my trail for about 1/2 mile marking every other stick and grass hump. That time of year and my nose confirms it. I guess he was too busy having other things on his mind and missed the snare in the trail. Biggest fox I've caught in a while and the fur still looks real good!

[Linked Image]

The lake has been full of cats this year. The set where I caught the one that was being eaten on and shot the culprit scored again. I used the head that was mostly eaten from the other one for bait and nailed a bright orange chicken wing over the set. By the looks of things there is at least one more still in the area. Also saw some other fresh lynx tracks in other areas of the line. The longer days also has the rabbits on the move.

[Linked Image]

Set a 220 a while ago at a beaver house where otter were entering/exiting. Almost bypassed the set as it appear untouched under a thin blanket of snow. However, I stopped and using my ax ever so lightly brushed some snow off. I noticed the trigger was no longer set. Surprised I dug out the body grip to find a nice male mink caught smack dab on the center of his head. I don't think he budged after the impact.

[Linked Image]

Spent some time trying to connect two ends of my trail, but I don't like where I ended up. I thought I was going to be able to cross a drainage but the far side was pretty steep and had thick willows on the other side. I then thought I could just follow the drainage and find a place to cross, but the sides just kept getting steeper the closer I got to the river. I then tried to just ride the drainage out and as it got narrower logs started to block the way. I grabbed my ax and walked ahead to see if I could make it through. After about 50ft I heard a hollow sound underneath. I backed up and swung the ax. It punched through no problem. I widened the hole to see what was underneath. Another layer of thin ice followed by some more ice. That was enough for me to turn around. I will just have to find another way another day.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/16/21 03:28 AM

Good to see your getting fur! Glad you were able to get a set on that bar, got my fingers crossed for you to connect! It always amazes me how you can set a snare on a bunny trail and have a refusal and when you have them out in your trail they walk right into it smile Good looking fox and mink! Be safe out there!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/16/21 05:29 AM

Hope you catch that gulo, it would make a real nice mixed bag for the year with all the other stuff you are getting.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/19/21 07:46 PM

Still having cool nights but once the sun is above the horizon it warms up 20 to 30 degrees. Not much moving on the line. Ended the day with a pretty little mink.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/19/21 09:29 PM

At least you didnt get skunked! Looks like a pretty one!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/19/21 11:14 PM

Nice mink

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/27/21 07:01 AM

Been busy lately but had time to pull most of my lynx, fox, mink, and marten gear on Monday and finished up yesterday. Ended up grabbing this young guy.

[Linked Image]

I have been really been wanting to catch a cross fox for many years. We don't have a lot around but I know there are a few. Well it finally came to pass! I had a few snares in this spot and had caught a fox at this location earlier. It is a tiny little thing. Maybe the smallest fox I have ever caught but the fur seems good. I will know more when I thaw it out. The last fox I caught is like 3x bigger than this one. It was about as tough as a wolf to skin out. I don't every remember a fox being as tough as that one. Glad to finally score a cross!

[Linked Image]

In the area I made trail into a while ago and saw the wolverine sign, I dropped some carcasses in a drainage about 500 yards from where I made the wolverine sets. I was hoping to get some birds on them to attract predators and see what may be in the area and hold the wolverine in the area until he found my sets. It was over two weeks before anything showed up. First this dandy came by and sniffed around but that was all.

[Linked Image]

Two days later this pack of three came by in the middle of five inches of snow and had a three hour party. They made trails everywhere and had a worn path down the center of mine. They even went down my foot trail to where I set up the trail camera. From the tracks it looks like one may have been checking it out from the side about a foot from the camera. I am 90% sure that it is the same pack that I took the one out of that I was pretty sure was a pack of four. Pictures are poor quality, but there is one photo that I can barely see all three (not included). Appears to be two grays and a dark gray. Only had two wolf snares and one wolf trap with me. I set them all and will be bringing more snares next run.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I didn't even know the wolverine came by until I looked at the trail cam pictures. He came the day after I was last out there and before all the snow. Still hoping he comes back. I am really happy about getting the cross though!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/27/21 07:05 AM

Good deal, on the cross! Now you just need a silver smile You still got gear out for the wolverine and wolves? Pretty cool pic's!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/27/21 07:10 PM

I think silvers are extremely rare around here. I know one elder who has seen one, but I don't know anyone who has got one. I will keep after the wolves and wolverine for a while. I also have two otter sets out and here in a couple weeks plan to go after some beaver.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/27/21 07:38 PM

Cross fox are awesome. I'm pretty fortunate to have lots of those genes where I am. I usually get a few cross and a couple silvers about every year. Good luck on the wolves and gulo!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/27/21 10:52 PM

Nice cross fox bfisch.
We used to have a lot more crosses and silvers here 25 years ago.
Still get the odd cross,but its been a long time since I got any silvers.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/28/21 10:42 AM

Nice fox.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 02/28/21 10:14 PM

I have thought about traveling just to go after crosses and silvers. It seems there are a few on Kodiak and maybe I could run into a couple on another hunt. Not real serious about it right now. Next I am hoping to get that wolverine and if not this year I have some plans next year that might increase my chances.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/02/21 04:32 AM

One month after getting the first one, I have scored another. I had snares on each side of this small slough. They messed around on one side on a lake and then really hung back after this one was caught on the other side of the slough but stayed out of the trees. I set these snares out during a light snow and then we got about 5 more inches that covered all my sign.

Not a spectacular wolf, but definitely better than some I caught last year. 88lb Male

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/02/21 06:21 AM

Nice! Looks like a pretty decent one. Got tangled up pretty good, so no water head. You've still got time to get some more.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/02/21 12:51 PM

Nice catch.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/02/21 04:55 PM

Nice work

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/02/21 07:56 PM

Love seeing your game camera pics and video. I need to get better about putting cameras out next season. Maybe give it some practice this summer.

Lovely cross fox and wolf!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/07/21 11:45 PM

Awesome! I hope you connect with a few more before the season ends!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/09/21 06:21 AM

Came to Fairbanks for a few days. Got my furs sealed and sold some as well. Gonna ship the rest to get tanned.
Here is a picture of my cross alongside a big male.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/09/21 04:23 PM

Isn't there a sealing agent where you live? How do you seal if you don't come to town? F&G would likely let you be a sealing agent if there isn't one there?

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/09/21 06:37 PM

None at this time. I have used the temporary sealing form and had no problems.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/09/21 08:14 PM

Came to Fairbanks for a few days. Got my furs sealed and sold some as well. Gonna ship the rest to get tanned.
Here is a picture of my cross alongside a big male.

[Linked Image]

Thats a pretty cross fox, love the dark face.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/10/21 10:01 AM

Nice looking fox

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/12/21 07:07 AM

None at this time. I have used the temporary sealing form and had no problems.

Lynx, otter, and wolf need cities tags. Can't send them out of state, like a tannery, without I think. Wolverine needs a tag, but it's not a cities tag. Has that been a problem?

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/12/21 07:17 AM

I send them to Fairbanks to be sealed. Since I am not present and accompanying the furs to Fairbanks and someone is doing it on my behalf, I have to send the furs to with the temporary sealing permit. Once the furs are sealed they can be shipped to any tannery in the country.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/15/21 05:39 PM

Went and checked all my wolf gear and the few wolverine sets I have out. It was a wonderful sunny day though the breeze was a little chilly. On the way out I noticed a cool little phenomena! The same thing happened three or four winters ago. It seems to happen when suddenly warms up and snows while there is just the right amount of wind.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think they are pretty neat! If you look close you can see the layers rolled over each other as they formed. One place on the river had several hundred. They are not quite at large as the last time I saw them, but some were a foot in diameter. Anyway a rarity for around here.

Put on 70 miles and didn't find a fresh wolf or wolverine track, but there was just about every other critter running around. I saw fresh moose, rabbit, squirrel, weasel, mink, lynx, fox, otter, ptarmigan, mouse, and even marten tracks.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/15/21 07:28 PM

Aliens making snow men. . . .?

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/15/21 07:30 PM

That is pretty cool! Funny how we always see sign of the critters we aint chasin! At least you know there is plenty of seed for next year!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/16/21 04:43 PM

Always neat seeing odd things like that. I have only seen those once and it was on a sunny hillside in the spring, same thing sun warmed the snow to just the right temps and the cornice at the top was letting go then as they came down they rolled perfect rolls with layer after layer of new snow.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/18/21 03:16 PM

Good looking fox bfisch.. I saw those snow balls rolled up like that once on my line from up on a ridge. Couldn't figure it out with the binoculars so had to run down there and investigate what the tracks were. They were rolling all the way across this flat. Really neat. You had a good season and thanks for posting
Posted By: white17

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/18/21 03:32 PM

That is a neat picture ! I have never seen that.
Was it an east or south wind that did it ?

Was the cross fox a female ?
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/18/21 03:49 PM

Looks like mini white round hay bales ! Neat !

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/18/21 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by white17

Was it an east or south wind that did it ?

Was the cross fox a female ?

I was not present when it was happening, but by the looks of it it was a south southeast wind. The time I was present when it was happening it was then southeast wind.
Yeah, the cross was a female.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/18/21 07:12 PM

I have seen that several times but not as large of balls. Happens when a fast moving warm front hits. Sometimes it’s violent . Cool pictures !

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/27/21 03:41 AM

I still have wolf sets out but there has been no action on that front. I have missed a couple because the snow covers or drift over the traps. Another turned just a few feet before a snare. However, I put out two beaver sets.
Last year I did all snare poles and wanted to try some new things this year. I put in a swinging susie and a trap on a platform off of a baited pole. The first house is good sized and has the pole in about 7 feet of water if you count the 2 1/2 feet of ice. I wired the bait parallel with the pole with the trap about 20 inches below. The first two checks the bait was all gone. I then placed the bait perpendicular to the pole and the ends of the bait was chewed off. Next I lowered the bait to about 8 inches above the trap and it hasn't been touched. All that to say, I haven't caught anything at that house even with all the action. Any recommendations?
The second house I set up a few days after the first. It is a much smaller house on a really small pond. My guess was that a bachelor lived there. After going through 3 feet of ice there was only 6 inches of water. I moved two feet closer to the feed pile and found 3 feet of water under the 3 feet of ice. Here is where I put the swinging susie. The first two checks there was no sign of beaver activity and I was wondering if I had a bad location or the house was actually dead. Checked it again today and caught this medium small beaver. First beaver of the year!

[Linked Image]

I am wondering if there may be one or two more crammed into the small house.

Here is what the reset looks like.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/27/21 03:50 AM

Congrats on the fur! I tried that under ice trapping once....... I had no luck what so ever and determined that those beaver could wait till ice out smile Hope the weather holds for you and the wolves come through and connect with your gear!
Posted By: Inupiaq

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 03/27/21 05:41 PM

Nice! I use 6" zip ties to secure my bait. Faster and secures tighter. I also learned from someone on TMan to bend my triggers into a coat hangar shape. That way they get way on before they trip the trigger. Also, I have one end of a long snare attached to one side spring, and the other end to the other spring circle. I then take both cables that come up from the spring circles and make a half hitch just above the trap a little ways so I only have the one snare pair coming up out of the ice in the center of the hole. I also put a small wire in those circle loops to secure the safety hooks so they won't slide down. Last, I set on the dam side of the feed pile. Seems to be the most active side. Hides should be really good this time of year. Nice green bait you got there!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/06/21 04:52 AM

Well the weather has not been cooperating. A week ago I went out to check my adjust my wolf snares and pull my wolverine sets after getting dumped on. The forecast said it was supposed to clear up so I went out not wanting to procrastinate. Well I should have waited a day. It was still snowing I was quite blind in the whiteout. Had a hard time staying on the trail when I could see it. Got the wolverine geared pulled which was the goal, but wanted to dig out my wolf snares as well. I headed down a drainage where some of them are that is known for overflow. I was able to see my trail with was wide and well packed. Key word here being "was." I soon realized the overflow had taken over my trail so I booked it for the bank. The banks of the drainage are kind of steep but not too bad. Well I made it out of the over flow and into 5-6 feet of powder amongst small willows. Instantly, I was stuck. I grabbed my shovel and stepped off. Instantly, I was up to my chest. I dug out just to get stuck repeated for the next 300 feet as I slowly turned around and made it back to solid trail.

The beaver have been evading me. The one house with the trap that was constantly having the bait taken has gone inactive even though they never even set off the trap. The house with the conibear where I caught the one was set off without a catch and has been avoided since then. So I decided to put in another house. This one in not in the flats and I found a place where the ice was open under the snow. The hardest part was shoveling off the 5 ft of snow to get down to the ice. Here I put in another conibear with a piece of birch. I liked Inupiaq's suggestions and used zip ties for the bait and bent the trigger differently. I also pulled most all my wolf stuff.

Today I went out again even though we got yet another snowstorm the past two days. At least today was sunny and I could see the trail. . . well. . . most of it. In the flats the snow and wind has covered about a 1/4 mile section of my trail including my trail markers. I didn't plan on that but we have a lot of snow! Still no action at the first two houses, but connected at the most recent set up with a nice 51lber!

[Linked Image]

Boiled up some of the last beaver and added a curry sauce and ate it with curry rice. The whole family enjoyed it! Also asked my wife to substitute rendered bear fat for the crisco last time she made bread (both in the recipe as well as greasing the pan). It turned out normally but with a slightly different flavor. I might say it actually had less flavor than a normal bread loaf. My daughters noticed the difference as well, but no one was opposed to it. I bet most people wouldn't know the difference if they didn't know it was substituted.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/06/21 05:27 AM

I don't envy those conditions for travel or chasing beaver! Glad you connected with one! Be safe out there!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/15/21 08:02 PM

Still plugging away at the beaver. It is kinda nice only catching one each check. Then I only have to skin one.
Same house as last one. 53 lb female.

[Linked Image]

We have had some windy snowstorms in the past week and a half. It has been making for tough travel. The last two days have really felt more like spring than the -20 to -40 lows we were getting the beginning of the month. Taking off early I am able to take advantage of the crust before the sun starts beating down again. 100% difference than getting stuck over and over. Was able to pick up my buried wolf snares down the overflow drainage I couldn't make it down before. Only got stuck once. I wonder how long before the geese arrive. . . until then I will continue going after beaver.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/15/21 08:39 PM

Did you enjoy spring carnival? Got your bird blind picked out? Geese are in FAI!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/16/21 12:10 AM

Good to hear travel is good for you right now! Weird spring down here, hit all at once. Still no open water but hopefully by the end of next week there will be, Good deal on the beaver!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/17/21 07:53 PM

Did you enjoy spring carnival? Got your bird blind picked out? Geese are in FAI!

Spring Carnival was fun! Saw a lot of people who I haven't seen for awhile since some Covid restrictions have bee lifted. There are a few spots I always have in mind when it comes to geese hunting. My two favorite spots were inaccessible last year. We will see what it looks like in a week or two.

Good to hear travel is good for you right now! Weird spring down here, hit all at once. Still no open water but hopefully by the end of next week there will be, Good deal on the beaver!

It is sure nice when you can ride on top and go anywhere. Not quite enough crust for a person, but the machine does well. Only open water around here is on the river where it never did freeze up. You gonna set for beaver when the water opens?

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/17/21 08:43 PM

That is my plan. Between castor, meat, and hide I think it will be worth while hitting them hard.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/18/21 06:32 PM

Beautiful day yesterday! Sunny and a high of 49 in the shade! Went out earlier in the day to take a ride and check the beaver sets. Had a partner along and she was not only excited about the beaver but we also saw a pair of eagles by a nest and a fox crossing a lake.

[Linked Image]

Also saw a single goose fly over yesterday!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 04/18/21 08:50 PM

That looks like a good one! Glad you had company along with you to enjoy the day smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 05/15/21 02:54 AM

Well if you were wondering. . . The birds came back and so I had pulled my beaver sets. Otherwise, the snow is all gone except a couple of drifts and shaded spots. The river broke yesterday and the ice is flowing pretty good. Doesn't look like quite as much water as the past couple years so I don't think we have to worry about flooding or too much erosion.

Mosquitos have started and before they get too bad I thought it may be interesting to end the trapping season the way I started. Trapping rats. Put out a handful of traps yesterday checked them this morning. I have never trapped muskrats in the spring so it was kinda weird to be setting in a t-shirt and hip boots. I set places where they are eating and enter/exiting the water.

When I was setting I was walking along and saw a dead duck. My guess is someone was unable to find it after knocking it down. I walked a little further and there was a dead muskrat. I tapped it with my foot and the fat little guy went air born in survival mode and skedaddled between my leg and into the pond. I guess he was just having a nice nap in the sun until I disturbed him. Sure surprised me!

Today's catch along with my wife and two youngest who joined my for the ride.

[Linked Image]

Never handled muskrats with spring glands. I wasn't impressed with the bite marks in the pelt otherwise the fur was nice.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 05/15/21 06:05 AM

Sounds like you had fun with the family smile Yeah them spring rats get pretty tore up by each other just be careful fleshing them and they shouldn't be to bad. Hope yo get a bunch more!

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 05/15/21 03:25 PM

Looks like great weather to take the family out on an adventure.

Bet that muskrat coming to life like that got a jump out of you.

Re: Bfisch Journal 20-21 - 05/16/21 09:55 PM

Sounds like you had fun with the family smile Yeah them spring rats get pretty tore up by each other just be careful fleshing them and they shouldn't be to bad. Hope yo get a bunch more!

We did have fun! Won't be catching any more though as I pulled all the traps. Leave some seed and maybe there will be more next season. Speaking of next year. . . I been throwing the innards from the beaver and rats and birds out with a trail camera on them. Usually I get some foxes on them and figure it helps them a bit before all the young of the year are born/hatched. I got a pair coming in but had a surprise when I saw this guy at the particular location.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by broncoformudv
Looks like great weather to take the family out on an adventure.

Bet that muskrat coming to life like that got a jump out of you.

It was a beautiful day! I am hopeful there will be less mosquitos this year with less standing water. I suspect I jumped same as he did, but I was watching him and not myself and he didn't hang around long enough to tell me how goofy I looked being scared by a little rat. Haha!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums