Home

Orange - Canary Marten ?

Posted By: Slick Pan

Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/20/20 07:18 PM

A few years ago my son and I went with a fur buyer friend to a Seattle Fur Harvesters auction.My son admired the orange Marten skins.I assume these Marten were lotted together for color.Are there certain sections of Alaska that have this color or are they random caught?There were not many lots compared to the brown colors so I think they are fairly scarce?Do they come from other regions of the US,Canada also?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/20/20 09:08 PM

Only caught 3 true canary marten in my life out of thousands of marten.Others have caught some also.Its a genetic mutation like a silver fox.Dont know if they are more prevalent in any one locale.Marten are fairly genetically homogenous throughout their entire range because of their habit of dispersing extremely long distances despite their small size.Lynx are the same in this respect.
Therese Demers the top marten grader for both FHA and NAFA told us that there are about 30 skins come in every year out of the tens of thousands of marten overall.
They are lotted together separately and very few in that lot of canaries are the same colour.Some are paler and some are orangy but never two identical.
I made a hat out of one I caught once.
Our fur pick up guy Leon Lecours from Hearst had a full canary marten hat.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/20/20 10:39 PM

Unfortunately orange is common here

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/21/20 02:12 AM

Boco-thanks for the reply.That tells me that they do come from others places other than Alaska.

DIRT:Unfortunately orange is common here.

Why do you say Unfortunately ? The canary bring a premium price.I am not talking partial orange with brown but full on orange

I don't remember how many lots of ten that were at the auction,But it was like 6 max.I do know they were all orange. No other colors other than some white on the skins.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/21/20 05:10 AM

The canary marten have brought some high prices,when more than one buyer wanted them for some specialty market.But this is not the norm for them because they cannot be matched with each other very well.
The best market by far for canary marten is the taxi market.That is where I sold mine,except the one in the hat because it had been partially cannibalized by another marten.
Posted By: gibb

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/21/20 01:08 PM

I use to average one every two years before the lumber company clearcut most of my trapline. Was always interesting to catch one.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/21/20 02:52 PM

The very odd one occurs this far to the northeast too.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/21/20 02:56 PM

The very odd one occurs this far to the northeast too.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/21/20 11:56 PM

Thanks for posting.I understand much better now.I assumed the canary were from a certain area or region and not random caught.I was looking at Ryan's thread and noticed a picture of a mostly orange marten he recently caught so it made me think about the canary.

Nice hat Boco.Thanks for posting your response.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/22/20 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
A few years ago my son and I went with a fur buyer friend to a Seattle Fur Harvesters auction.My son admired the orange Marten skins.I assume these Marten were lotted together for color.Are there certain sections of Alaska that have this color or are they random caught?There were not many lots compared to the brown colors so I think they are fairly scarce?Do they come from other regions of the US,Canada also?

It's interesting you should mention that particular Fur Harvesters sale. I took some pictures of those canary lots.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/23/20 12:40 AM

Now that's something right there!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/23/20 01:19 AM

Pretty.Never seen one here in Maine.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/24/20 09:58 PM

Boco-thanks for the reply.That tells me that they do come from others places other than Alaska.

DIRT:Unfortunately orange is common here.

Why do you say Unfortunately ? The canary bring a premium price.I am not talking partial orange with brown but full on orange

I don't remember how many lots of ten that were at the auction,But it was like 6 max.I do know they were all orange. No other colors other than some white on the skins.

Orange

Extra Pales: The guard hairs vary from light brown in the midline to Orange on the flanks. The yellowish orange band in the underfur is wider and lighter than it is in Pale pelts. The pelt has an overall orange appearance.

They pay the least normally and the last few years they have not been selling either. frown

Hope I answered your question.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/25/20 02:50 AM

Dirt-Do the martin you are mentioning look like the ones in the pictures above.From your description I think they may be different?
The canary martin I am referring to is in the pictures above?I am trying to find out if the canary is found in certain places or random caught as the posters from Canada have said.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/25/20 03:14 AM

They look like waggler's bottom picture. They have a dorsel stripe. Canaries are more yellowish orange like a canary. Yes they are different.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/25/20 03:38 AM

Dirt-I understand what you are talking about now.Thank you for helping me understand.Do you ever catch ones like in picture #2.The ones you catch certainly are very close to the color except the brown.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/25/20 04:01 AM

Some years pl and xp marten(not canary) bring a high price.Depends on fashon dictates.Some years the brown and lt browns bring higher prices.Historically the dk-xd have brought the premium prices-but not always.
The worst marten price wise is what they call the red hips.They are grey from the head down to the shoulders-darker in the middle and distinct red in the hips.
They do not take dye uniformly thus the poor price.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/25/20 04:52 PM

Dirt-I understand what you are talking about now.Thank you for helping me understand.Do you ever catch ones like in picture #2.The ones you catch certainly are very close to the color except the brown.

I catch some yellow marten.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/25/20 11:50 PM

A guy I know caught 3 one season, in this general area. All 3 were large males. I bought one from him for a lifesize.
While the taxi work is only "ok", the animal itself is pretty cool.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/26/20 10:11 AM

I caught one 16 years ago it mounted and at our local sporting good store it was a female last January 24 I saw another one looked bigger must be a male it was within 3/8 of a mile where I caught the first one here on the shores of Lake of the Woods a friend of mine is going to try to catch it in a few weeks when our season starts.I showed him where the location is hope he can catch it,he’ll mount it if he catches it if it’s still around hope so.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/26/20 05:02 PM

Fall 1979 or Jan. 1980, trapping marten around the mouth, lower Nowitna R. marten were exceptionally thick. Caught one canary. I think it was a full canary. Trapping that general area until 1991 never caught another. Never heard of anyone else catching one either.
I think they are mostly a random occurrence, like albinism.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/26/20 05:14 PM

That is interesting about catching more than one of them in the same area.So that would mean there is not just one born like an albino but they must carry some genetic trait that they are passing a long? That is what I was thinking but hard to explain the random ones caught other than they are more in that area but scarce.But maybe its a combination of both.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/26/20 06:44 PM

This is the one I had mounted.
[Linked Image]

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/26/20 06:47 PM

There is a pelt at our local ADFG office from one taken in the interior maybe 20 years ago that is much lighter, almost a cream color.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/26/20 07:03 PM

[Linked Image]

I righted that mount for you AV.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/26/20 09:24 PM

Thank you.
Posted By: Washfurbuyer

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 04:15 AM

[Linked Image]
Here is a lot of marten I bought last year at Fur Harvesters, all listed as canaries, so you can see the variation....also bought all the canaries this year but don't have them yet,
George Brady
Cascade Biological Supply
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 04:42 AM

Only 2 there would I call canaries. Bet I've caught around 500 marten over the years that look like the bottom one.
Posted By: Washfurbuyer

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 06:03 AM

yes, that is why I showed the picture; there is a lot of variation in them. I know the grader and he bases it, i think on the amount of yellow in the underfur or something like that. Anyway, you can see for yourself what a lot looks like....

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 04:42 PM

Canary: These pelts have a pale orange appearance. The underfur is gray only at the bottom of the hairs. The middle band of underfur is white and the tips are yellowish orange. The guard hairs are orange in the midline and yellowish orange on the flanks. Canary pelts are rare.
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Only 2 there would I call canaries.

I was thinking the same.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Washfurbuyer
[Linked Image]
Here is a lot of marten I bought last year at Fur Harvesters, all listed as canaries, so you can see the variation....also bought all the canaries this year but don't have them yet,
George Brady
Cascade Biological Supply

None of those are canary marten.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 11:02 PM

I agree, Boco. Maybe #3, in the right light.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 11:16 PM

Who are we to question professional Canadian fur graders? blush

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/28/20 11:31 PM

The FHA marten grader is an American I believe.
You know what a canary marten is dirt-you quoted it from the Canadian fur bible.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/29/20 01:05 AM

Inter-nut grading is always difficult, er internet that is.
Canary's all get put aside in a separate pile, then the decision of what to make in a bundle. At least when I worked on the grading floor.
mind me asking Washfurbuyer what was the hammer price? ( not with your shipping/ handling charges) but the price trapper got.

When you have 60-70,000 it is a lot easier to pull that 10-12 yellow pelws out

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/29/20 02:41 AM

Waggler picture #1,#2 show what the canary look like.
Posted By: scootermac

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/29/20 02:50 AM

Here's one from Facebook [Linked Image]

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 11/29/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
The FHA marten grader is an American I believe.
You know what a canary marten is dirt-you quoted it from the Canadian fur bible.

Yes I do. I'm with you guys. Those are mostly Pales / Xpales. IMHO

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/08/20 11:35 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/09/20 05:43 AM

True Albino.Nice.Thanks for sharing it.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/09/20 02:24 PM

No albino black eyes it has faded a little over the last 15 or 16 years
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/09/20 03:19 PM

They are not red eyes cause the Taxidermy guy probably did not have any when he was doing it up.
Did Minn even have a season on them at that time ?

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/10/20 01:10 AM

Yes there was a season and the taxidermist did it right it had regular eyes it has faded the backend was yellow with a orange tail saw one in the same location after the season had closed last year hopefully my buddy can catch it pretty sure the one I saw last January 24 th was a male

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/10/20 06:15 PM

Never seen an albino but the details now explain the photo.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/13/20 02:11 AM

Here’s a better picture before it faded [Linked Image]

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/13/20 03:01 AM

I see now.Its a canary then.I would like to see a true albino if they exist.Maybe buco would have one?

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/13/20 04:02 AM

Does anyone still have the picture of the pure white wolverine?
I lost it in a computer crash several years ago.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/13/20 08:17 AM

Here is Le creame de Le crop I caught last season. A good taxidermist put together,he has yet to create the base. Good payday on this guy.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/13/20 08:39 AM

I hope one day to catch some marten of unique coloration, but so far just normal ones are all I've caught.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/13/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
Does anyone still have the picture of the pure white wolverine?
I lost it in a computer crash several years ago.

Yes

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/13/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by rosscoak
Here is Le creame de Le crop I caught last season. A good taxidermist put together,he has yet to create the base. Good payday on this guy.
[Linked Image]

That’s a beauty rosscoak.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 12/15/20 12:05 AM

That's a very interesting variation.

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 05/06/21 02:59 AM

I finally remembered to take a picture of the odd marten pelt at our local adfg office. Unfortunately, it is in a locked case, and couldn't find anyone with a key, so best I could do.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 05/10/21 02:01 AM

[img]http://[/img][Linked Image]

This the one

Re: Orange - Canary Marten ? - 05/10/21 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by nightlife
[img]http://[/img][Linked Image]

This the one

Yup.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums