Home

Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal)

Posted By: trapperbobs

Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 12/09/20 06:48 AM

Looks like I caught it Friday evening.
[Linked Image]
wait for it
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 06:48 AM

Nice.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 07:14 AM

Awesome! Like the bucket set up! You make that?
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 07:49 AM

Nice catch!
Posted By: AKbeardog

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 08:09 AM

Nice, love it when they commit to a bucket. And you had a lid!
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 01:42 PM

Nice one trapperbobs. Congratulations!
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 01:57 PM

Very nice catch that's always good when it all comes together like that !
Allan
Posted By: waggler

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 03:27 PM

Is that a 280?
Posted By: white17

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 03:46 PM

I love those dark ones !! Must be a good location to commit a that much effort for a permanent set like that. I have a couple spots like that as well.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 06:47 PM

Nice catch.

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 07:17 PM

That is a thirty gallon soap drum from the carwash that I made into a 330 cubby, this was a early winter moose kill that a wolverine had worked Thursday. I don't think this is the only one working it. I think it may be a YOY it is pretty small. This could be at least a permanent location for this winter
Posted By: AKtrapper26

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 08:17 PM

Congrats! I also found some very fresh (same morning due to snow evidence) gulo tracks last Saturday and set it up, but will not get back to check until this weekend.

Do you, or others, notice recent "return visits" like this often?...doubling back, etc... or did you move "ahead" of the sign and get him where he WENT instead of where you found the sign?... I am sure it all depends on a lot of factors - attractiveness of an area, wind, serendipity, whatever...but just curious.

I always feel like when I come across super fresh sign, I set it with a stinky lure hoping they will 'double back', but I have never had this be the case. Usually they make me wait a looooooong time before any returns... smile
Posted By: white17

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/09/20 08:51 PM

I have had them double back in a day or two.

But it is my experience that wolverines are creatures of habit. They use the same travel routes through the neighborhood for generations. I use the same spots year after year with reasonable success.

If you follow them long enough you will see where they venture a few feet off their trail to squirt some stinkum on a low shrub sticking through the snow. I am convinced that others can smell that for years and refresh it from time to time. I think that is why the same route gets used for succeeding generations.

SO.......if you have caught one or seen tracks at a certain spot....... set it... whether there are fresh tracks or not. I also set at every beaver house on my line whether it's dead or alive
Posted By: AKtrapper26

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/10/20 12:01 AM

Thanks, White! Interesting observation! I do regularly see tracks around "long-dead" lodges. I am always intrigued at why they continue to frequent these. Perhaps it has as much to do with your info above as it does the visiting otters/muskrats, other critters, etc.

As much fun (as I have) anticipating a wolverine check, it's the best game in town. smile.

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/13/20 05:05 AM

A few other catches this season and a shot of the wolverine throat patch. She was a 22lb female so about average the teeth look young. I had forgotten how much i don't like skinning those feet., but they are done now.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/13/20 05:11 AM

That is a sweet bucket set up smile Congrats on the fur and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/13/20 02:37 PM

Nice catches there, especially on the gulo. Sure is a purdy marten as well. Excellent work.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/13/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I have had them double back in a day or two.

But it is my experience that wolverines are creatures of habit. They use the same travel routes through the neighborhood for generations. I use the same spots year after year with reasonable success.

If you follow them long enough you will see where they venture a few feet off their trail to squirt some stinkum on a low shrub sticking through the snow. I am convinced that others can smell that for years and refresh it from time to time. I think that is why the same route gets used for succeeding generations.

SO.......if you have caught one or seen tracks at a certain spot....... set it... whether there are fresh tracks or not. I also set at every beaver house on my line whether it's dead or alive

This is exactly why some locations will be visited every year, by multiple wolverine. I have not found any marking posts or trees as described. If we had more stable snow throughout winter they would probably be found very near what I call my annual cubbies.

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/15/20 05:09 PM

Nice catches!
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/22/20 11:43 PM

Awesome! Hopefully we will get snow soon, just a little bit of snow earlier this month. Most of it blew away. Was excited for the storm that was suppose to be happening now, but it just put down less than an inch and most have blown away again. Hope to set out a few traps soon
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday - 12/23/20 09:54 PM

Way to go.Congrats

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 12/29/20 05:12 AM

Lots of gear disabled by thaw freeze, but it did not look like I missed much. Picked up this nice marten and an ermine. Cleaned everything of, snares were frozen solid. I wish I was a better fox trapper they taunt me constantly. The marten was fatter than any I have ever skinned, lots of voles [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 12/29/20 05:43 AM

In the picture with the marten hanging, do you know what the small yellow triangle is in the upper right?

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 12/29/20 06:34 AM

Yeah the weather has been kicking my butt as well! Good to see your getting fur!

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 12/29/20 05:52 PM

Don't worry you are not the only one who has the foxes taunt them. Been trying for years and can't catch one but I have caught lynx and one wolf.

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 01/18/21 06:50 AM

Lots of feet on traps with only one catch. Lost a coyote snared by the tail. I scored a nice otter with a set out of HFT AK's playbook. Baited bucket with Y bone pike scraps. Tried a musher hay set also but have not connected yet. The birds work this set hard for a few days with all the musher beds around. I will put traps in next trip. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 01/18/21 07:08 AM

Good deal! Hope you get a few more!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 01/18/21 06:19 PM

Nice otter.

Re: Found hot wolverine sign Thursday (20-21 journal) - 01/19/21 07:14 PM

Love the otter! I have a couple of HFT AK's otter bucket sets in place as well with big sardines in them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums