Home

Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap

Posted By: drasselt

Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/17/21 07:51 PM

The Alaska Wildlife Alliance, anti trappers, are actively working to eliminate trapping in Alaska. Here is the latest:

[color:#FF0000]
MAP THE TRAP: Reporting Traps Along Recreational Trails
Trapping occurs on many different lands across Alaska; state, federal, Native, and private lands all have different permissions and reporting requirements. Currently, there is no statewide data collection on incidental trap encounters, including information on how many pets are caught in traps, where most pet trappings occur, or areas where trail users see wildlife caught in traps. We seek to understand the dynamics between traps and trail users, as well as gauge Alaskans’ perspective of traps near trails.

During the first year (2020-21 trapping season), we will collect information from the public and publish a report with the consolidated data. This information will help inform our work, and guide conversations with trappers, non-trappers, the Board of Game, municipal authorities, land managers and others. Thank you for sharing your experiences and perspective with us!
Date you saw the trap
MM DD YYYY
Location of the trap (please include as much information as you have so we can map the trap) *

Type of trap
Body grip or conibear
Leg or foot hold
Snare
I don't know
Was there an animal in the trap?
Yes
No
If yes, what species was the animal and was it alive or dead?

Did you report the trap to local authorities? If so, who did you report it to?

What type of recreational activity were you doing when you observed the trap?

Do you have photos of the trap?
Yes
No
If we have additional questions about this report, how can we contact you?

If you haven’t done so already, we would appreciate you providing us with your perspectives about trapping along recreational trails (below)
Name (this information will be anonymous to Alaska Wildlife Alliance) *
First Name Last Name
Email *

Have you personally seen a trap while recreating outdoors in Alaska?
No
Yes
Have you ever seen an animal, dead or alive, caught in a trap?
Yes
No
If yes, describe how those encounters made you feel or influenced your behavior.

Have you ever had a pet/pets caught in a trap in Alaska? If so, please describe what happened.
Yes
No
Have you had a pet caught in a trap in Alaska? If so, please describe what happened.

Would you use a trail if you knew there were traps near that trail? (select all that apply):
Yes, I’m ok with traps placed within 50 yards from a trail I use
Yes, I’m ok with traps placed between 50-100 yards from a trail I use
Yes, I’m ok with traps placed between 100-150 yards from a trail I use
Yes, I’m ok with traps placed between 150-200 yards from a trail I use
No, I am not ok with traps placed closer than 200 yards from a trail I use
If you answered “no” to the above, is there a distance a trap could be from the trail that would allow you to feel comfortable using that trail? What would a comfortable trail set-back be?
[/color]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/17/21 08:01 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if few of them even live there , or else only know the cities . Similar to the same ones here. Most of them don't live in the state and have sponsors outside the state. "Illegal aliens "....
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/17/21 08:06 PM

Yeah these people tried jumping in on a conversation in one of my neighborhood watch groups. Freaking no common sense.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/17/21 10:56 PM

Did you ever get lost a on a trapper's trail?

Yes!

Did he maintain it to your standards?

No!

Did you ever use that trail again?

No!
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/18/21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

Yes!

No!

No!

Now THAT is some useful data right there.....! Good one Dirt!

Pete
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/18/21 06:21 PM

All they have to do is make up stuff.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/18/21 06:33 PM

The Brownshirts are coming

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/18/21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
All they have to do is make up stuff.

Exactly! And the really funny thing is the antis are calling this a "citizen science initiative". Junk science!
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/18/21 10:53 PM

Adfg is in bed with this group too!
I find this concerning as they bash trapping at their Adfg sponsored wildlife Wednesday seminars.
They are clearly antiwildlife, imo

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/18/21 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks

Yes!

No!

No!

Now THAT is some useful data right there.....! Good one Dirt!

Pete

Don't you miss your old friend Paul Joslin? And his side kick Karen Deathridge?
smile

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/19/21 04:41 PM

Dirt,

Yes, those were the days. Kneely carries the torch well for them though....!

Pete
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/19/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by rosscoak
I find this concerning as they bash trapping at their Adfg sponsored wildlife Wednesday seminars.

ADFG needs crisis to gather funding. Be it new “invasive” species, ie. SEAK fisher, industrial development, ie. mining development to do broad studies on wolverine that chalk up to not much more than neat field trips. Now they are wrapped up in wolf studies. If it were not for the cries of the anti’s ADFG would not have much of a leg to stand on for budget.

I apologize in advance for my rant.

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/19/21 05:02 PM

Aaaaannnnd. I guarantee more of these hippie citizens commit more infractions daily throughout their daily lives than those of us involved in the outdoors.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/19/21 05:29 PM

Not so sure ADF&G needs crisis. They got plenty to study just with managing regular hunting and trapping. I doubt budget is based on complainers/complaining. With plenty of PR funds nowadays, complainers may get a study here and there.
Used to go to Fur Ronny from Fbks. and do pro trapping gathering outside Sullivan I think. Wasn't Joslin a little professor that wandered around with an anti trapping sign?

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/19/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Not so sure ADF&G needs crisis. They got plenty to study just with managing regular hunting and trapping. I doubt budget is based on complainers/complaining. With plenty of PR funds nowadays, complainers may get a study here and there.
Used to go to Fur Ronny from Fbks. and do pro trapping gathering outside Sullivan I think. Wasn't Joslin a little professor that wandered around with an anti trapping sign?

I guarantee they need conflict or special interest to gather grant money for studies to get them out of the office down here.
Well, actually, you might be partially correct. They have to seal a bunch of animals here that they do not bother with in most of the state. Gives them something to chat fireside about with their scones and tea. That has to add to their yearly duties.

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/19/21 05:44 PM

Did not know ADFG participated regularly. The one and only Wildlife Wednesday meeting I have looked into, ADFG did a trap demonstration/ how to release foot trap, snare, body grip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij6wZ6SDEV0&t=36s

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/19/21 05:47 PM

That was 30 years ago old man! That guy with the signs was not Joslin but I can't recall his name right off.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/19/21 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt

Did not know ADFG participated regularly. The one and only Wildlife Wednesday meeting I have looked into, ADFG did a trap demonstration/ how to release foot trap, snare, body grip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij6wZ6SDEV0&t=36s

They have one online Zoom ON Feb 17. 7pm.
Adfg sport fish bios are talking about the east cook inlet razorclams

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/20/21 06:19 AM

Who you calling old man, Tom? You were at those get together too!
The Sullivan was where the booths were in those days for people selling stuff. Lotsa rural residents selling fur stuff. The little guy was a UAA prof. and was gutsy enough to wander inside the arena with anti fur sign. !!

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/20/21 03:19 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/20/21 04:27 PM

[Linked Image]

Way to ruin my breakfast.....!

Pete

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/20/21 04:40 PM

[Linked Image]

I don’t recognize that clown. I gather he belongs to some pink panty wearing anti group?
Posted By: white17

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/20/21 04:54 PM

I think he taught lesbian dance theory at UAA

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/20/21 05:08 PM

Who you calling old man, Tom? You were at those get together too!
The Sullivan was where the booths were in those days for people selling stuff. Lotsa rural residents selling fur stuff. The little guy was a UAA prof. and was gutsy enough to wander inside the arena with anti fur sign. !!

LOL exactly Mike! That professor with the signs was Tom Morse. Took awhile to remember his name but I got there!

And for those who don't know that picture is Joslin.

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/20/21 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by white17

crazy
Posted By: isnarewolves

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/20/21 05:36 PM

It may be a good time for all of us to review the statute that cites obstruction and hinderance of trapping. We should also advise AWT to have contact with AWA and others to inform them on the law and how they could be in violation of this law. I know it is hard to make a case sometimes, but if antis are encouraged to take photos, to document. I could see some of them self incrementing themselves. The law just does not cover tampering with traps/snare, but how a animal may alter their movement due to other actions someone has done. This was a good refresher for me.

Sec. 16.05.790. Obstruction or hindrance of lawful hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish or game.
(a) Except as provided in (e) of this section, a person may not intentionally obstruct or hinder another person's lawful hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish or game by
(1) placing one's self in a location in which human presence may alter the
(A) behavior of the fish or game that another person is attempting to take or view; or

(B) feasibility of taking or viewing fish or game by another person; or

(2) creating a visual, aural, olfactory, or physical stimulus in order to alter the behavior of the fish or game that another person is attempting to take or view.

(b) Notwithstanding AS 12.25, only a peace officer may arrest a person for violating this section. A peace officer who has probable cause to believe that a person has violated this section may arrest or cite the person or order the person to desist.

(c) In a prosecution under this section, it is an affirmative defense that the person was lawfully entitled to obstruct or hinder the hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish or game.

(d) This section does not apply to
(1) lawful competitive practices among persons engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, or trapping;

(2) actions taken on private property with the consent of the owner; or

(3) the obstruction or hindrance of the viewing of fish or game by a person actively engaged in lawful fishing, hunting, or trapping.

(e) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for not more than 30 days, or both.

(f) For purposes of (a) of this section, “lawful” means
(1) in compliance with
(A) this title, regulations adopted under this title, or applicable federal statutes and regulations;

(B) the Marine Mammal Protection Act (P.L. 92-522) or the Endangered Species Act (P.L. 93-205); or

(C) federal regulations adopted under 16 U.S.C. 3111 — 3126 relating to subsistence hunting, fishing, or trapping on federal land; and

(2) with the permission of the private landowner if the hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish or game occurs on private land.

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/21/21 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by white17

Yes, That's right. Now I recall.........!

P
Posted By: Osky

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 01/21/21 11:54 PM

“Did you report the trap to local authorities? If you did so to whom?”

This cannot be serious??

Osky

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/01/21 09:38 PM

The Fairbanks Daily New Miner is now supporting Wildlife Alliance map the trap anti trapping effort in glowing terms:

http://www.newsminer.com/features/o...1f4d4f0-61dd-11eb-bef9-c7e299c82f81.html
Posted By: Ak-OJ

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/02/21 01:09 AM

Seems like a great way to overload troopers with reports of legal trappers while likely not finding those poaching...
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/02/21 03:09 AM

Set some very obvious traps on thin ice or an overflow!

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/02/21 05:36 PM

After reviewing the questionnaire, mapping alaskan trials. I think it would be beneficial for all trappers and their family/friends to fill it out. This would put a positive spin on trail experience and use, and possible skew what they are trying to achieve in their data base. You don't have to give your trapline exact location, but you can be creative where a trail is, or make one up. The point being, we can answer all the questions with a positive pro trapping answers.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/02/21 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by isnarewolves
After reviewing the questionnaire, mapping alaskan trials. I think it would be beneficial for all trappers and their family/friends to fill it out. This would put a positive spin on trail experience and use, and possible skew what they are trying to achieve in their data base. You don't have to give your trapline exact location, but you can be creative where a trail is, or make one up. The point being, we can answer all the questions with a positive pro trapping answers.

Was kinda thinking that too, since one question asking what activity you are participating in gives trapping as an option.

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/03/21 05:08 AM

I think the newsminer guy, who is mostly clueless on trapping, was tricked in to thinking this was an "lets all get along" idea. I read the story and he didn't do any bashing from what I could tell. Zarnke should call the writer for some ATA equal time.

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/03/21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by isnarewolves

Just remember that if you do this, you will be giving your email address to a bunch of people who are determined to run you out of Alaska!

Pete

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/03/21 05:15 PM

I see some possible merit in participating but what do you suppose are the odds they will accurately report information that does not support their anti trapping agenda?

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/03/21 06:58 PM

The questionnaire is two part. the first part does not require your email address, but if you want to participate in the second one, a email is required. Thanks Pete. Grey haired ones are wise. smile
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/08/21 06:58 AM

You know most people have common sense and wont set near a trail head or on a public trail. But then there are those that either have no clue or just don't give a crap about how things are viewed in the public eye.
There was a discussion on here a few years back about people setting right on the pullouts / turnouts / trail heads up towards Eureka. Well today the same dang thing happened, same dang spot.
It might be legal but that don't mean it is the right thing to do. That individual just gave these people all the fire power they need.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/09/21 01:19 AM

This is a tough one. I can see it now a group make it their weekend adventure to ride or ski all the trails off of the road system and do a report and the next think we know will be new regulations.
I had a musher spend 1/2 the winter cutting a trail and ended up on my trail. We had a conversation and he informed me that I was on public land and I couldn't stop him from running his dogs on my trail. That didn't last long and he didn't make it far on the trail. I had a lynx in a cubby and his lead dog got scratched up really bad, he never came back again! I cut the trail and maintained it to my standards for years before he showed up. Public land you can't stop me is the attitude of some and it can come back and bite a trapper. If I would have had to move all the traps away from the trail it would take way too long to run the line.
There are enough public trails that have been traditional traplines for years and others use them without too many problems but this opens it up for some to really make a problem for the trapper. Especially since it has hit the Daily News Minus!......MY 2 CENTS!
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/09/21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by HFT AK
You know most people have common sense and wont set near a trail head or on a public trail. But then there are those that either have no clue or just don't give a crap about how things are viewed in the public eye.
There was a discussion on here a few years back about people setting right on the pullouts / turnouts / trail heads up towards Eureka. Well today the same dang thing happened, same dang spot.
It might be legal but that don't mean it is the right thing to do. That individual just gave these people all the fire power they need.

That was a bad situation this weekend, talked to Don about it Sunday night. Still can't believe someone chose to put a 330 there....

Re: Trappers Being Stalked/Map the Trap - 02/09/21 06:16 PM

Can't wait for that guy to start shooting beaver with arrows.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums