Home

Wolf hunting

Posted By: AJE

Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 01:53 AM

Anyone planning on hunting in Wi's wolf season next week? I am, assuming I draw a tag & have time to hunt while also running the trap line. I'm a coyote hunter, but have never hunted wolves. I suppose the process is somewhat similar. I have an electronic caller, but I bought a nice wolf howler mouth call. I'm not sure if I'll try during the daylight, or just call at night. Since wolves don't like yotes, I'm pondering making some yote sounds thinking a wolf might come in to try to get the yote out of its area
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 01:57 AM

During the night or early morning would be a good time. They are night animals. I like to leave home early in the morning. They are usually tired and are more likely to make mistakes.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 02:13 AM

Wolves are territorial so howling usually makes them investigate

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod

And I bet they can hear from a long ways away.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 02:39 AM

I'm trying to decide if a person should hunt the woods, or try to call them into large openings.

I imagine some will ponder placing a coyote decoy out, in an attempt to bring in a terretorial angry wolf.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

And I bet they can hear from a long ways away.

Yes they sure can. I like howling the night before I plan to hunt.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 03:17 AM

I could envision it being quite action packed, especially if the pack approaches. Watch your back I guess so they don't sneak right up to us. Last month I shot a yote at 5 yards. I don't care to get THAT close to a wolf.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 03:23 AM

Most of my hunting is done on snowmobile but I’ve also hunted wolves with success on my own two feet. Get into an area they consider to belong to them and let out a howl. They’ll come investigate who’s in their living room

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 03:35 AM

Most of my hunting is done on snowmobile but I’ve also hunted wolves with success on my own two feet. Get into an area they consider to belong to them and let out a howl. They’ll come investigate who’s in their living room

So ya don't wanna call real aggressively?
Posted By: white17

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I could envision it being quite action packed, especially if the pack approaches. Watch your back I guess so they don't sneak right up to us. Last month I shot a yote at 5 yards. I don't care to get THAT close to a wolf.

I don't believe I'd worry about that.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by AJE

I don't believe I'd worry about that.

I agree white17. Its like so many people I meet in Alaska that are worried about bears behind every tree out to eat them.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/18/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

So ya don't wanna call real aggressively?

one howl every ten minutes or so has worked for me. If they here you they’ll come check it out.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/19/21 01:38 AM

How 'bout trying predator in distress calls too?

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/19/21 03:21 AM

I got my wolf call

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/19/21 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

I called in one wolf with a rabbit in distress call. Works on grizzly too
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/19/21 03:21 PM

There are outfitters here who guide wolf hunts.
They have ground blinds,and put out baits.The baits are usually out on a large beaver pond and the blinds are in the bush near the edge of the pond.
Very sucessful way to hunt wolves here.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/21/21 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

I called in one wolf with a rabbit in distress call. Works on grizzly too

I called in a bear last yr turkey hunting. I don't want that to happen again

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/23/21 04:30 AM

My cousin & I might try dragging a beaver around & then wiring it to a tree for bait, just high enough to where the wolf has to kind of reach for it.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/27/21 03:44 AM

The state has yet to announce how many were taken by hunters. It's sounding like most were taken by hounders. Does Canada allow hound hunting? Supposedly Wi is the only American state to allow it for wolf.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/27/21 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
The state has yet to announce how many were taken by hunters. It's sounding like most were taken by hounders. Does Canada allow hound hunting? Supposedly Wi is the only American state to allow it for wolf.

I’ve heard the reports of method of take for this season but I don’t recall the specifics.

You sound upset about houndsmen. Did they complain the first three seasons when trappers had the advantage? Get over it and be happy that we had the opportunity to manage the population yet this season.

We’ll accomplish much more together than divided.

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/27/21 09:45 AM

Get over what? I'm not upset about houndsmen. I'm not upset about the opportunity this wolf season presented. I have no idea who told you that. No divisiveness on my end. Quite the contrary. No complaints from me. I have no idea what you're talking about. Relax.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/27/21 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Hunting wolves with hounds is a good way to get your hounds killed!
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/27/21 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
My cousin & I might try dragging a beaver around & then wiring it to a tree for bait, just high enough to where the wolf has to kind of reach for it.

Wolf piñata?

Re: Wolf hunting - 02/27/21 08:32 PM

Sort of, mike. I didn't draw a tag, so didn't try it. I might try hunting 1 in the Fall.

Re: Wolf hunting - 03/02/21 01:35 AM

I'm excited because the application period (for the Fall 2021) wolf hunt opened today. I got my application in today and have already begun preparing.
Posted By: Bigwoods13

Re: Wolf hunting - 03/06/21 01:40 AM

Wrong no dogs were killed the entire hunt or previous hunts it’s different when wolves are ones being chased

Re: Wolf hunting - 10/24/21 02:43 AM

Darn, a judge ruled yesterday that our early Nov wolf season is a 'no-go.' frown
© 2024 Trapperman Forums