Home

Northern lights

Posted By: TRAPPER TOM

Northern lights - 04/08/21 11:39 AM

spending a little over a week outside Palmer on wolverine road cutting trees 5/7-5/16, at LIGHTSHINE MINISTRIES base camp.
hope the snow is gone and a little warmer.
What is the weather like in early may?
WHAT ARE MY CHANCES seeing them may 7th -16th?
Tom
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: PALMER - 04/08/21 03:36 PM

Trapper Tom, I grew up in Lancaster PA smile My grand daddy had a 120 acre dairy farm down in Quarryville, caught my first critters there smile
We have a late spring happening this year, still about a foot and a half of snow on the ground, but they are calling for warmer temps come next week. 1st week of May should be pretty snow free, muddy, and chilly with temps in the 40's. Easiest to plan on it being chilly and wet and hoping it is dry and warm smile

Re: PALMER - 04/08/21 04:44 PM

HFT i lived on good rd in new providence for 17 yrs and oldest son and i caught a lot of fur around the area
figures a late spring
we're hoping we can get our trees done and then spend some time wondering around
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: PALMER - 04/08/21 05:00 PM

Good time of year to shed hunt for moose antlers, yogi and boo boo will be out and about, just keep that in mind.

Re: PALMER - 04/08/21 05:13 PM

can we keep them if we find any
will hopefully be prepared for yogi hopefully at a distance
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: PALMER - 04/08/21 07:39 PM

Yes you can keep any sheds you find.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: PALMER - 04/10/21 01:12 AM

I looked up your ministry Tom, looks like a we have a few mutual friends. AK is a small world smile. Enjoy your trip.

Re: PALMER - 04/11/21 09:38 PM

Oh nice thanks, we will have a great time regardless.
i assume you live down on the Kenai? to get there is on my bucket list
the last time in Alaska we spent 2 weeks in copper center building 2 houses, but that was 21 yrs ago
the Strenla lake camp i really nice for the local kids

Re: PALMER - 04/22/21 05:50 PM

What are my chances of seeing the northern lights in may (7th - 16th )
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: PALMER - 04/22/21 05:55 PM

northern lights are out during the dark winter months. ITs summer time now. The sun is up all day long. good chance you wont be seeing them.

Re: PALMER - 04/22/21 06:15 PM

thought so
Thanks
Posted By: drasselt

Re: PALMER - 04/22/21 07:40 PM

I saw some less than a week ago around midnite. They were faint. I believe sunspot activity is cycling down and has been for some years. Less sunspot activity means less northern lights.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: PALMER - 05/02/21 12:57 AM

The best aurora activity I ever observed was in Montana during the summer of 1984 I believe. It was spectacular.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: PALMER - 05/02/21 01:48 AM

To fallow in Kansas Cat's foot steps so to speak the last cool Northern Lights show I've seen here in Montana were shortly after my mom passed away back in 2015 I think it was her way of saying she made it to heaven and was keeping a eye on me ha ha

Some day I hope to make it back up to Alaska during the winter to see them first hand .
Allan

Re: PALMER - 05/07/21 12:20 PM

still on my bucket list either way
leaving today
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: PALMER - 05/07/21 02:55 PM

Sun won't be up round the clock in Palmer area, but darkness will be short. If you get a cold clear night while your there, that would be the time to be looking.
Thanks for helping out the ministry.

Re: PALMER - 05/18/21 04:37 PM

well no northern lights but what a beautiful place to visit. spent the week on lazy mountain surrounded by snow covered peaks, great weather, good people.
got done what we need to. next team arrived before we left to pick up the next faze for the base camp.
cant wait to go back.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: PALMER - 05/20/21 05:43 AM

Next four years is expected to have increased sun spot activity. Try again next year but see if you can get up here a month or more earlier.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums