Home

Wolf trapping trap prep question

Posted By: Mac

Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/23/21 02:05 PM

I bought and read the manuel put out by the Alaskan trapping org. on wolf trapping but the is all I know. We do not have wolf in Maine despite what some antis would tell you. The only wolf trapper I have asked any question of is Gulo, and I learned a lot from reading his responses.

Do any successful wolf trappers use a fuel based cold dip, like Stoes, Kataz bros stuff etc.?
If so, would you care to share any tips or pointers?

Thanks
Mac
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/23/21 02:26 PM

Dig around in Howlers journal and I think you will find painted traps being used: https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4211144/akhowlers-trapline-journal#Post4211144

Ted of Teds Fur Shed, advertised at the top of this page, can give you good advice.

I have always boiled my wolf traps but I am considering painting some white. That said I am not much of a wolf trapper
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/23/21 03:01 PM

I have used a cold dip for wolf traps (and caught wolves in the dipped traps.) I spend the extra money on "Coleman" fuel/white gas.

AND, more importantly in my opinion, after treatment, I air them out for a YEAR before setting.

Pete

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/23/21 05:33 PM

Thank you for the responses. I will check out that journal, and maybe ask Ted.
Pete, I agree with the Coleman fuel.
Thanks very much.

Much appreciated.

Mac
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/24/21 12:11 AM

I tried speed dip with Coleman gas years ago on small traps. Dipped in June, and they were still sticky Dec. 1.
Maybe too wet here, though.

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/24/21 12:29 AM

Thanks for your response
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/24/21 04:10 AM

I bought some used traps a while back with speed dip on them. I didn't like the stuff, and it was sticky. I've always boiled my traps and dyed them. First year they opened up a wolf season here I had brand new traps at the start of trapping season. Nice and shiny, I just degreased them and then waxed them and used them that way the first winter before trying to dye them. Some of those I dipped in Full Metal Jacket that year. Only time I've ever used it but seemed to work good, I think I dipped them about three times to get the desired thickness.
I'm going to paint a dozen and a half new wolf traps I have white. Several guys on here recommend a 50/50 or 40/60 mix of Rustoleum and acetone and then dipping the traps in that. I'm going to do that in the next month. I have used paint on snares to good effect in the past, and painted some bodygrips but those weren't for wolves. Just give them plenty of time to air out.

I know some of the guys around here have their traps powder coated white, but I don't think the powder coating is enough of an advantage over the paint to justify the cost.

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/24/21 09:43 AM

Thanks

Mac
Posted By: decoy

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/26/21 04:36 AM

Bearcat, do you know what the powder coating cost?
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/26/21 05:50 AM

Honestly, I did, but I've forgotten and if I gave you a price it would be a guess and possibly way off.

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/26/21 03:35 PM

Whatever coating Kendall uses on the NoBS extremes is the ticket.
I have one in particular that has taken 3 wolverine, and is stll nearly like new.
Stuff is amazing.
Posted By: shayes11

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/27/21 04:13 AM

[Linked Image]

I painted mine white, airing them out for another month or so. Then I'm going to give Full Metal Jacket a try. Kendalls coating is great! Going with a few of his wolf traps coated in white too.

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/27/21 02:57 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

Mac
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/29/21 06:37 AM

I had the local gun shop cerakote, a couple ts 85 modified... wasnt cheap but man they are bullet proof and saltwater tough.

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/30/21 12:52 AM

Thanks
Mac
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/30/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by rosscoak
I had the local gun shop cerakote, a couple ts 85 modified... wasnt cheap but man they are bullet proof and saltwater tough.

What’s not cheap if you don’t mind sharing. From what I’ve seen they charge by the hour, not the trap. May look into how many traps they can get in an hour or two. Did you have to strip them down or did they do it as part of the process?

Re: Wolf trapping trap prep question - 05/31/21 03:01 AM

I can't speak for Rossco, but in Juneau, no specialty is cheap. If they dinged him $30.00 a trap, that would not surprise me in the least. More, I would believe it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums