Home

Load/unload sleds

Posted By: lots of mink

Load/unload sleds - 07/22/21 05:46 PM

What product or method are you using to load your sleds into pickups?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Load/unload sleds - 07/23/21 03:33 AM

I lift the back of the machine onto the tailgate then go around and lift the front and shove it in.
Thats when I used the elan.
For bigger machine an aluminum trifold ramp with skids for the carbides.
Posted By: EurekaTrapper

Re: Load/unload sleds - 07/23/21 04:06 AM

Shovel yourself a ramp that you can use all winter. That's what I did before I got a trailer.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Load/unload sleds - 07/23/21 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I lift the back of the machine onto the tailgate then go around and lift the front and shove it in.
Thats when I used the elan.
For bigger machine an aluminum trifold ramp with skids for the carbides.

Lol ditto ditto on the Elans back in the day.

Exactly on the bigger ones. And if u are going someplace where u can load from a snow bank then just a shovel and some quick work and not bother w the ramp.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Load/unload sleds - 07/23/21 10:48 AM

Hook a trailer up to the back of it. Screw "Black Ice" runners to the trailer and your carbides won't catch (used strips of old pickup bedliner on an old trailer, free and worked fairly well). I prefer a ramp to a tilt deck myself, less maintenance, but that is a personal preference.

I always have too much stuff in the bed of the pickup, but with a two place trailer you can load the snowmachine on one side and the sled to pull behind it with all your gear on the other.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Load/unload sleds - 07/23/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by lots of mink
What product or method are you using to load your sleds into pickups?

Also get your local welding shop to make you up a bed extender for your pick up-it makes loading and unloading the snowmachine easier and lots more room for other equipment.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Load/unload sleds - 07/23/21 03:59 PM

If you really want to haul a snowmachine on a pickup more than just once or twice a year, a flatbed is the way to go. That or get one of those sled decks that sits on top of the bed, usually extended (I think always on a shortbed) so there is more deck for the snowmachine, they all come with ramps, and you still have the space underneath them to store stuff. They do make your center of gravity higher though, I wouldn't personally want to use one on a half ton, get a lot of sway.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums