Home

Bfisch Journal 2021-22

Posted By: bfisch

Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/16/21 07:53 PM

It has been a slow freeze up and barely any snow. Pretty rough going any distance. We are finally getting the cold which is good. Hopefully we get some snow before too long. Made some sets closer to home and caught this light colored marten where a wolverine had passed by. My dad was along which was a bonus. He taught me how to trap and we trapped together in MN from the time I was ten until I got my license.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My wife set some snares and one trap and connected as well.

[Linked Image]

Was also able to take my dad spearing pike
[Linked Image]

and then my dad and two older daughters. They each got one. The older speared last year as well, but this was the second's first time.
[Linked Image]

and my wife was able to spear for the first time as well.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wolverine Hunter

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/16/21 09:37 PM

I used to spear in MN religiously. Whitefish and pike. Sure do miss it! Guess I never really thought about doing it here in AK.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/16/21 10:05 PM

Thats great start to the season, love that marten! Good seeing your family all out enjoying your activities.
Posted By: AK TRAPR

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/17/21 12:56 AM

Congrats looks like a good start to the season
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/17/21 01:45 AM

That orange marten is very like the one I named OJ , that T4ever trapped for my hat. Good pics and seasonal beginning.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/17/21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
I used to spear in MN religiously. Whitefish and pike. Sure do miss it! Guess I never really thought about doing it here in AK.

I started a few years ago and it is nice to not have to stop at three and deal with slot sizes.

Originally Posted by Sharon
That orange marten is very like the one I named OJ , that T4ever trapped for my hat. Good pics and seasonal beginning.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a small fox.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/17/21 03:15 AM

I can see that you would think that, bfisch ! What a sight it must be to see that orange ball bouncing in the trees with the snowy backdrop !
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/24/21 03:52 PM

That is a pretty looking marten! Love the color! Looks like the wife might out do you trapping if she keeps catching like that! Glad to see you spending time with the family in the great outdoors! Thanks for sharing!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/25/21 01:08 AM

Conditions have been tough for traveling and getting out as much gear as I would like to or at least that is my excuse for why my wife is out-trapping me.

I caught a muskrat and a kit beaver. . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

while my wife caught these two beauties.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These are her first snare catches. She is also being much more cost effective on her line as she is never more than 2 miles from the house. I might have to rethink my strategy.

blush
Posted By: AK TRAPR

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/25/21 02:27 AM

nice job

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/25/21 02:31 AM

Hahaha!! Good for her!!!! At least your getting some good bait and a little fur in the shed! Hoping conditions get better for you!
Posted By: scootermac

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/25/21 02:52 AM

Good stuff!
Posted By: Aknative

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/25/21 06:25 AM

Nice catch! Great looking foxes too.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/25/21 06:55 AM

With all those Pike you can make fish ice cream, another food to use seal oil with !!.
Did that last fox get caught around the body?
Making the best of tough conditions, pats on the back for everyone!!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/26/21 03:59 AM

Thanks all!

I have had some pretty good fish ice cream, but never with seal oil in it (that I know of). Yeah the fox got one and a half arms through. It is a little curious though. She has some very fresh bit marks on her back legs. I wonder if she wasn't running when she hit the snare.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/26/21 04:23 AM

canary martin= see a past thread about them

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/27/21 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by bfisch
Yeah the fox got one and a half arms through. It is a little curious though.

Might consider decreasing loop size or raising the loop height above ground. 8 in. loop. 8 in. above ground caught me a lot of fox when I lived in Nome.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/27/21 12:05 PM

Up to 8" above ground but keep loop size at 7". You miss the odd one but rather miss a few than hip catch. They get caught in the next snare or come back most times. Started doing that years ago and hip catches went to nil. There is a bit of an art too to put the snare right where their head will go. Expect you know what I am talking about. Really can not explain it.

Really good what you guys are up to especially having a Mrs. that is interested like that.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/27/21 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
canary martin= see a past thread about them

I don't think it quite qualifies. Close though.

Yeah, loop could've been a little large. This was her first time setting snares.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 11/30/21 04:20 PM

Well for her first time she is doing one heck of a job getting them! I wouldnt change anything, stuff happens. Now if it becomes a constant problem then an adjustment is warranted. I am hoping she gets a bunch more!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/05/21 05:06 AM

While the wife has caught three, I finally got my first.
[Linked Image]
Caught in a snare attached to a drag.

Put a trap on a drag on a side trail that the wolves used last time they came through and added a little bit of glands left over from last years wolves.
[Linked Image]

When I was pulling up, the wolf dropped down and curled up. I just caught a glimpse of it before I stopped the machine. It was completely still and quiet as I walked up. I noticed it was fairly small and even considered that it may be a coyote (very rare where I am). It had to be persuaded to even stand up. I think it thought I couldn't see it. Small 50lb female. Good long fur though!
[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/05/21 06:04 AM

Good deal on the fox and wolf! Hope you connect with a few more at that spot!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/06/21 07:25 AM

Nice catches Bfisch.
Following your journal.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/11/21 06:03 AM

Life has been really busy lately except out on the trapline. I am still hoping to get the rest of the line set up one of these days, but the way its going it will have to wait for Christmas "break." I had a few snares set for lynx but only two traps. I added two more today before I ran out of time. One of the places I had in mind that I set up last year had a lynx trotting off into the bush as I pulled up. I ran up the bank on a lake gun in hand and even followed his track for a ways. Not really sure what happened, but somehow I got the fresh track mixed up with an older set and gave up. It was pretty dark and thick in there anyway.

Picked up the first mink of the season. Up to this point I have only caught one of each species in the fur shed.
[Linked Image]

I told my wife if I get one of every furbearer species in our area with out catching two of any species, I will call that good and be done for the season.
Well, we picked up two more marten so I guess I have to finish out the season.
[Linked Image]

It is interesting that the two lynx cubbies I had out both connected on marten. Catching them on the ground this year.
[Linked Image]

The two older girls joined me.
[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/11/21 06:15 AM

Good deal on the critters! Love seeing the youngsters out with you! Reminds me of when my daughter ran my line with me. Hope you connect with that lynx!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/21/21 05:36 AM

Some catches from the past couple checks.
My wife is slaying the foxes this year. #4 for her!
[Linked Image]

Finally got enough lynx sets out to finally connect with one.
[Linked Image]

Marten #4
[Linked Image]

We finally got some snow. It was about a foot and I was thinking that is perfect for snaring to take off and then it warmed up to 35 above and rain. The snow is all dense and wet. Traps will have to be uncovered and snares deiced. I think when it freezes up it there will be a good crust. Lynx will easily be able to stay on top maybe even wolves.
Here are some mitts my wife just finished up for herself.
[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/21/21 05:45 AM

Nice catches-those lynx mitts are very nice.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/21/21 06:46 AM

That girl is on a roll!! Catching fur and making mitts! You got a keeper! Good deal on the catches! Yeah this weather is something else this year. Bites that you got rain that is a serious pain in the butt with snares. Hope things settle down and you connect with some more fur! You still got wolf gear out?

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/21/21 07:00 PM

Yeah, the wolves haven't been to their normal haunts much this year. I may have to ride around and find them or they may just be on a kill and not made it back yet. I still am working on breaking trails open just to be where I was last year and have dreams about extending.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/21/21 08:03 PM

Looks like you and your wife are having a good year so far, love her mittens!
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/22/21 01:27 AM

If u set enough snares u will catch them every possible way imaginable no matter how perfect they were set!

Attached picture IMG_20211209_110950163.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20211209_091415842.jpg

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/22/21 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
If u set enough snares u will catch them every possible way imaginable no matter how perfect they were set!

That top coyote picture is crazy!
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/24/21 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT

That top coyote picture is crazy!

He jumped over fence shocked

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/24/21 07:18 AM

One of my first runs this year I put out a few snares in a ridge of trees that I had never seen wolves run until this year. It paid off with this 88lb male! This is the first wolf sign on the line since I caught the first one. I was wondering when and where they would show up again. There is at least two more running the area after I caught this once. They seemed lost as they followed my trail all over the place. Taking my turn arounds and really checking out my marten poles (coming within inches of one).
[Linked Image]

Fortunately, they didn't mess with the one marten I caught as one passed a few feet from it.
[Linked Image]

I have never had a wolf follow my trail that closely. It seemed unguided. I am guessing a pup. It took my turn offs and then would return to the main trail. If it wanders back I put out a few more snares and a trap.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/24/21 07:21 AM

Awesome to hear and glad you connected! Hope you connect with the other 2 as well! A pee post or two should nab them I would think.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/24/21 04:16 PM

Nice!
Posted By: white17

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/24/21 04:50 PM

Puppies was my first thought also. Good on ya !
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/24/21 04:52 PM

That looks like smoke moose hide for the mittens, did you guys make that?

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/24/21 05:06 PM

Nice catch! Good luck on those other wolves.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/25/21 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
That looks like smoke moose hide for the mittens, did you guys make that?

The moose hide came from a potlatch I think.
Snow today and the next couple days.

Merry Christmas to all!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 12/27/21 06:34 AM

Time to up the marten game. Appears your numbers are up!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/14/22 02:41 AM

Been really busy with a lot of stuff and when I made it to the trapline everything was either snowed over and drifted in or froze from the rain. I know I am not the only one that had to deal with that. Here is what has been going on otherwise:

A lot of moose on the trail. They don't like the deep snow either especially with the frozen crust of ice about an inch thick under 6 inches of powder.
I had two standoffs. One lasted a 1/2 hour as she blocked my portage. Another was a cow with a calf. After about 10 minutes the calf ran off the trail and the cow followed.

[Linked Image]

Had a lot of misses with buried traps not grabbing good enough, sets completely buried with fresh tracks walking by, and froze down traps with bait taken.
[Linked Image]

Saw some blood in the trail with a bunch of moose tracks. Looked all over the area but no wolf tracks. Bled along the trail for 100 yards and then wandered into the willows. Not a lot but noticeable. Wonder what caused it???

[Linked Image]

A problem I hear many of you talking about is having catches stolen by wolverine. I have never had that happen and don't see much wolverine sign on any given year and have never caught one. Well there is a first for everything. Wolverine stole my marten.

[Linked Image]

And now for the catches!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My wife's fox line has died down. Must only be smart ones left. She did get a marten in her only marten set.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/14/22 03:16 AM

Beautiful!!
Posted By: white17

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/14/22 03:24 AM

Good deal !!! Nice kitties !!
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/14/22 03:39 AM

That blood looks like what drips from a bull moose's head when it's antlers fall off, back track it to find the antlers. Have done that many times. Especially when it is beside the tracks on undisturbed snow, and not in them, like it fell off the side of it's head, and not from an injury to the leg.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/14/22 03:50 AM

Yeah I think the weather bit everyone! Good deal on getting some fur! Hope you connect with the wolverine! Agree with FL cracker, if you back track from where that moose came from you should find a shed or both. You did the right thing waiting those moose out on the trail. Good karma smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/14/22 04:03 AM

Didn't even cross my mind that it could be from a bull losing an antler. I might look around some more.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/14/22 06:17 AM

Well your doing good with the footholds and pole sets! Still got time to extend the line.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/14/22 06:17 PM

Hope the weather cooperates with you from here on out. Looks like the animals are making it into some of your sets.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/20/22 05:39 AM

The second oldest and I went out and enjoyed some nice weather on the line. It was right around zero with no wind. A good day to have a tag-a-long.
Fortunately, there was a little action as well.

Right off the bat we ran into fresh wolverine tracks about 200 feet from a bait pile. However, they were going the wrong way. The wind must have not been right because he didn't mill around the area much. Just as well though otherwise he probably would have eaten the marten that was waiting for us.
[Linked Image]

There is a nice little ridge that the lynx always work that has willows on one side and spruce on the other. The small section of spruce is full of squirrels and I have had a marten pole there for a while, but never caught one there until this check.
[Linked Image]

After running the line we back tracked and worked on getting some firewood.
[Linked Image]

Then we enjoyed the heat of our big fire.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/20/22 06:00 AM

Fisch
Watch out for those squirrels they love to line their nests with marten fur

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/20/22 06:45 AM

Good deal on the fur and getting to spend time with your youngster! Hopefully the wolverine will eventually make a mistake in your favor!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/20/22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by FL cracker in AK
That blood looks like what drips from a bull moose's head when it's antlers fall off, back track it to find the antlers. Have done that many times. Especially when it is beside the tracks on undisturbed snow, and not in them, like it fell off the side of it's head, and not from an injury to the leg.

X2

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/21/22 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Fisch
Watch out for those squirrels they love to line their nests with marten fur

I suppose if I was a squirrel and could safely have a nest of marten fur, I would too.

Originally Posted by HFT AK
Good deal on the fur and getting to spend time with your youngster! Hopefully the wolverine will eventually make a mistake in your favor!

I think so too. It is just a matter of how long. . .

I went down the willow line where I found the moose blood but didn't see anything. The other place where the blood was was just to thick and we had gotten more snow. I guess I will know for next time. Thanks!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/21/22 10:10 PM

Yeah I get the how long part smile It will happen though smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/23/22 02:24 AM

One marten last check. Caught it at a makeshift pole set not one of my permanent ones. It is located in the bar willows right before I hit the river at one place.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chasing eyes

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/23/22 05:37 AM

Bfisch
Great journal looks like awesome family time

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/24/22 06:55 PM

Good deal on getting some fur! Better then getting skunk that is for sure! Any more sign of that wolverine or the wolves in your area?

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/24/22 07:54 PM

You seem to get an above average back foot catch on your marten.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/24/22 09:51 PM

Good deal on getting some fur! Better then getting skunk that is for sure! Any more sign of that wolverine or the wolves in your area?

Wolves are super sporadic and I can't figure them out. I guess another guy moved in pretty close to where I have sets. I guess he found a moose kill and got one wolf off of it. Lat wolverine tracks bypassed one of my bait sites and that was it.

Originally Posted by martentrapper
You seem to get an above average back foot catch on your marten.

Seems to be about 50/50. I don't know. Is there a way to target one foot over another?

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/25/22 12:13 AM

The distance between bait and trap may have an effect.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/29/22 12:40 AM

Last time I was out the weather was nice and normal. Since then we had an 80 degree shift from 30 above to 50 below. Hopefully it stays below zero for awhile.

Picked up a BIG buck mink in a 220. Only the second one this season. I'm not sure where all the otter and mink went. I saw a fair amount of sign back in early November, but not since then.
[Linked Image]

Picked up a fox on the river in a wolf trap set in my snow machine trail.
[Linked Image]

I put in a new lynx set last year and got 2 out of the deal. It is on the edge of a lake and the set gets drifted in super easy, but when conditions are right it is productive. After two misses and catching two bunnies I finally got what I was after.
[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/29/22 02:48 AM

Good deal! That is a pretty colored kitty! I love those dark colored reds smile Nice mink as well! I have only caught one this year and only seen 2 sets of track. On a normal year I avg between 8 and 12 they just aint around this year. Hope the weather holds for you and you have more tight chains!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 01/29/22 11:25 PM

Can you move the Lake set farther off the lake? Add some flagging to catch their attention. Get it a little more out of the wind, or make a second set somewhat off the lake as a backup?

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 05:18 AM

Well its been pretty rough going on and off the line. First it was blowing snow that buried traps or made them ineffective. Then the whole family got sick. Finally had a good run though!

I came home empty handed two checks in a row other than three ptarmigan on one trip. I couldn't decide if it was a bad day or a good day when the following happened. . .

lynx tracks going by, but the trap is drifted in. Bait is gone.
[Linked Image]

wolverine came by my bait site and made himself at home. He set off the trap, but it didn't grab him at all as it was still in the trap bed.
[Linked Image]

he even made a nice snow tunnel next to the bait and spent some time in there. I have seen marten and weasels do this several times, but first time seeing a wolverine do it.
[Linked Image]

missed another lynx do to a buried trap. If a lynx had a foot like an ax instead of a snowshoe, I would have had him.
[Linked Image]

set a fox trap in my trail near a marten pole he had been checking out. I guess a 1 1/2 long spring isn't big enough to get but a couple hairs off a wolverine.
[Linked Image]

Third check didn't have nearly the critter movement, but what I did catch made up for the lack of sign and previous skunks.

The particular set is on the edge of a lake and as I mentioned before it can be difficult to keep it working because of blowing snow. I had caught a lynx here earlier this season, but I could see from a distance something dark bouncing around. I got my .22 ready before I got close in case things headed south. I didn't want to lose the wolverine. Especially it being my first! I flew up to the set. My eyes were watering, but I don't know if it was from the wind and cold in my face or the adrenaline steadily increasing in my bloodstream. After confirming a good catch I proceeded to admire the animal and take some pictures. This wolverine was not very photogenic and just would not hold still.
[Linked Image]

Beautiful female.
[Linked Image]

Wolverine was the only furbearer I had yet to catch it our area. I was finally able to cross it off this season. After coming close the last two seasons and only seeing tracks once or twice the whole winter I am excited to have one in the bag and headed for the wall. I am pretty sure there were two sets of tracks out on the line. So who knows?
[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 06:30 AM

That is totally awesome!!!! And congrats!!! I feel you on this weather! Hope everyone in the family is well now!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 08:29 AM

Nice!
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 02:47 PM

Congratulations on your first wolverine what a great color and a fine pictures to frame near it !

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 04:12 PM

What an exciting catch! Congratulations on your wolverine.

That other check on your line with all the near misses will sure get your blood going and either make you determined to keep at it or to just throw the towel in.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 04:31 PM

Good job! That is a beautiful wolverine.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 04:37 PM

Congratulations
Posted By: chasing eyes

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 08:28 PM

Great catch congratulations

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 08:52 PM

Well its been pretty rough going on and off the line. First it was blowing snow that buried traps or made them ineffective. Then the whole family got sick. Finally had a good run though!

I came home empty handed two checks in a row other than three ptarmigan on one trip. I couldn't decide if it was a bad day or a good day when the following happened. . .

lynx tracks going by, but the trap is drifted in. Bait is gone.
[Linked Image]

wolverine came by my bait site and made himself at home. He set off the trap, but it didn't grab him at all as it was still in the trap bed.
[Linked Image]

he even made a nice snow tunnel next to the bait and spent some time in there. I have seen marten and weasels do this several times, but first time seeing a wolverine do it.
[Linked Image]

missed another lynx do to a buried trap. If a lynx had a foot like an ax instead of a snowshoe, I would have had him.
[Linked Image]

set a fox trap in my trail near a marten pole he had been checking out. I guess a 1 1/2 long spring isn't big enough to get but a couple hairs off a wolverine.
[Linked Image]

Third check didn't have nearly the critter movement, but what I did catch made up for the lack of sign and previous skunks.

The particular set is on the edge of a lake and as I mentioned before it can be difficult to keep it working because of blowing snow. I had caught a lynx here earlier this season, but I could see from a distance something dark bouncing around. I got my .22 ready before I got close in case things headed south. I didn't want to lose the wolverine. Especially it being my first! I flew up to the set. My eyes were watering, but I don't know if it was from the wind and cold in my face or the adrenaline steadily increasing in my bloodstream. After confirming a good catch I proceeded to admire the animal and take some pictures. This wolverine was not very photogenic and just would not hold still.
[Linked Image]

Beautiful female.
[Linked Image]

Wolverine was the only furbearer I had yet to catch it our area. I was finally able to cross it off this season. After coming close the last two seasons and only seeing tracks once or twice the whole winter I am excited to have one in the bag and headed for the wall. I am pretty sure there were two sets of tracks out on the line. So who knows?
[Linked Image]

Nice wolverine.Congrats.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 09:29 PM

Thanks everyone! A day not soon to be forgotten!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/12/22 09:40 PM

Memories for a lifetime being made!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/13/22 03:41 AM

Why is the front foot bloody and appears torn up? Ruffs on your and the wifes parka and maybe a kid or 2 would make for acceptable bragging!! Congrats.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/13/22 03:57 AM

Congrats on the nice wolverine B Fisch.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/13/22 07:42 PM

Outstanding!
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/13/22 10:29 PM

That's awesome, congrats!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/16/22 05:52 AM

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Why is the front foot bloody and appears torn up? Ruffs on your and the wifes parka and maybe a kid or 2 would make for acceptable bragging!! Congrats.

Not sure. She had not been biting the trap or chewing on her toes, but she did have little red snowballs of blood on three of her feet. No foot damage of any kind.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/16/22 06:03 AM

After how many years not catching a wolverine and then scoring two within a week!

Male caught about 800 yards from the last one. A bit bigger and he has three white toes. Had a duke #3 on the front and a bridger #3 on the rear.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next I caught a lynx in a set where I had missed one earlier this year due to a buried trap.
[Linked Image]

Topped off the day with a red caught perfectly around the neck in a wolf snare. He had ducked under it twice already. So I put a fox snare about twenty feet away, but he didn't make it that far this time.
[Linked Image]

Here is the throat/chest patch on the first wolverine. I think it is so cool!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKHowler

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/16/22 06:11 AM

Nice work and some beautiful fur. Congrats

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/16/22 07:27 AM

That is totally awesome!! Happy for you! That joker wasnt going anyplace smile Good looking kitty and red! Hope you connect with a few more kitties and the wolves come back through!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/16/22 04:07 PM

Now your wife can have a ruff! I like the ones with the feet on!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/16/22 04:41 PM

Nice catches! Thats a pretty wolverine. Boy it wasn't getting out of there with traps front and rear.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/16/22 07:47 PM

Congrats on your wolverine

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/23/22 06:00 AM

Not a lot of action on the line, but did end up getting a lynx and one weasel. Nice to have the sun shining even if it is cold out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had lynx tracks in the yard a couple times so I put out a trap. That night it came by and ate the bait and left the bone, but I missed. I told the wife she should reset it and make another set as well. She did and didn't get it the first night, but 3 in the afternoon the next day it came by and got caught!

Her first lynx!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/23/22 07:23 AM

Good deal on the fur! I wish it were cold here! Our snow is deep and wet, not fun stuff right now. Congrats to the wife on getting her first lynx! I think your keeping her tied up at the house so she dont get more then you smile She did pretty good this year! Hope the weather holds for you and you get some more tight chains!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/23/22 08:49 AM

Yard cat! Nice!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/23/22 08:42 PM

Talk about getting one right out the front door!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/23/22 09:20 PM

Nice catch.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/24/22 01:21 AM

Nice when they come to you!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/24/22 07:37 AM

Good deal on the fur! I wish it were cold here! Our snow is deep and wet, not fun stuff right now. Congrats to the wife on getting her first lynx! I think your keeping her tied up at the house so she dont get more then you smile She did pretty good this year! Hope the weather holds for you and you get some more tight chains!

Shhh! don't give her any ideas! laugh
I think she did quite well with what she had to work with and when the younger ones get a bit older I plan to have her spend more time on the longer line.

Originally Posted by smalltimetrapper
Nice when they come to you!

I suppose, but I sure wouldn't want a pack wolves being that comfortable around the house.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 02/24/22 07:21 PM

On the longer line? Maybe she needs her own line!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 03/01/22 09:30 PM

Shut down all of my line yesterday. I had snapped most of my marten sets a while ago, but one of the two I had still set nabbed a weasel. We had a warm few days and there was a good number of fresh marten tracks. I also came across a fresh set of wolverine tracks and then there was some lynx tracks that were just a day or two old. Nice to see there are still plenty around. I still can't figure out what happened to the otter and mink this year.

[Linked Image]

A little over a week ago I set up a 4 miles section in another area. Last year I pulled a real nice male wolf out of the same area. I have some wolf snares, wolf traps, and a few sets for wolverine in the spot. I got this 76lb female yesterday.

[Linked Image]

To go from a weasel to a wolf, smallest to biggest! Quite the contast!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 03/01/22 10:53 PM

Nice catch

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 03/01/22 10:59 PM

Good deal!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 03/01/22 11:24 PM

That is awesome wildman! It is always good to see sign at the end of the season, seed for next year smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 03/02/22 03:40 AM

Nice.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 03/02/22 06:33 PM

Thanks everyone!

That is awesome wildman! It is always good to see sign at the end of the season, seed for next year smile

I agree and am already thinking about next season!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/09/22 04:36 AM

Put out a few beaver sets until the weather starts warming up some more and the geese come back. It was -35 this morning! Anyway, I was slow to make any beaver sets as we got some real cold last fall before we got any snow and therefore more ice. Well, I chose three houses that had big snow drifts and although I had to dig through four feet of snow there was only an inch of ice. I will take four feet of snow over three feet of ice any day when it comes to beaver trapping.
Nabbed one so far.

[Linked Image]

The caribou are further away this year, but my wife's parents came to visit and watched the kids for a day and a half so the wife and I took off. The first forty miles were smooth sailing. The next 120 miles were pretty rough with the drifts. The bou were 100 miles away, but we found them and put two on the ground. and headed back to a shelter cabin for the night. It was a 165 miles day. The wife did awesome and was up more making us a hot meal 10:30 at night when we got to the cabin. We slept in the next morning.

Going through the pass.
[Linked Image]

Got the caribou loaded up.
[Linked Image]

The cabin we stayed in.
[Linked Image]

Made it home by 2pm on day two for a total of 201 miles.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/09/22 07:07 AM

Good deal on the beaver! I would have to agree on it being easier shoveling snow then chopping through the ice smile Hope you connect with a few more! Awesome on the bou! Sounds like the whole family will have some full bellies smile

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/09/22 03:27 PM

Good hunt and nice pics Bfisch.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/10/22 01:46 AM

You got a good woman.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/10/22 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
You got a good woman.

That I do. That I do.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/10/22 06:54 PM

Checked beaver sets again where I had to 330s. Both were set off, but empty. I ended up putting in snares instead. Check tomorrow or the next day.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/10/22 11:53 PM

Did you have bait wired to the triggers or were they set in a run? Either way that bites! I never caught anything under ice beaver trapping, not from a lack of trying but probably a lack of experience on my part. Your determined so I know you will connect with a few more! Any luck with the wolves?

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/11/22 12:32 AM

Bait was wired to the jaw. Tried it for the first time last year and I caught four that way. No wolf sign lately. Might pull the wolf snares sooner than later.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/11/22 02:25 AM

Didn't you go through the Hot Springs trail? I don't recognise that cabin, is that at the hot springs?
Congrats on the bou. Not quite as good eating as the fall ones but still good.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/12/22 06:13 PM

Yeah that is the trail we used but went a lot further and then came back past hot springs again to this cabin. It is a shelter cabin.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/12/22 08:44 PM

No pics of soaking in the tub at the hot springs? That is an amazing place, hidden in a little timbered valley in otherwise mostly open country.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/12/22 11:25 PM

There were 7 skiers there and we were on a mission. We ate some beaver meat and crackers and moved on.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/13/22 10:32 PM

So this was actually done in early March. I just forgot to share it here.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/13/22 11:13 PM

Awesome job by both of you! Thanks for sharing your adventures! Look forward to next season!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/14/22 03:10 AM

Pretty awesome, Brandon.......and wife. With all the duties you have I think you did very well. Did you sell everything you wanted to here at the ATA auction? Hope it went well! Your wife needs her own snogo if she doesn't have one already!!!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 04/14/22 09:49 PM

Sold all but 3 out of 39 pieces I put in the auction. We have two machines for such trips.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 05/08/22 08:58 PM

A bit late but last month I did nab a few more beaver.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had a good day chasing geese!
[Linked Image]

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 05/09/22 06:36 AM

Glad you connected with the beaver! Some good-looking geese right there!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 05/11/22 06:36 AM

Nice! Glad you got the little one out.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 05/11/22 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aknative
Nice! Glad you got the little one out.

She had a blast! Kept saying how we were gonna eat the beaver for supper the next day.

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 05/12/22 04:30 AM

That's a lot of plucking!

Re: Bfisch Journal 2021-22 - 05/12/22 04:48 AM

That is was, but we just had fresh roasted goose last night. So worth it. The kids all had seconds and two hours later they went and had some more.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums