Home

Need help riding a wide track

Posted By: wannabe1

Need help riding a wide track - 01/14/22 06:14 PM

I have been using sleds for trapping since the 80s but always small bravos and tundras...I finally upgraded to a skandic wide track and its an awesome machine but I'm an old dog and not doing well with it especially on side hill trails after big snowfall...the machine keeps sliding off the trail underneath on the downside and it so tippy that also keeps causing me grief...I am riding up on one knee most of the time not sitting so I am leaning all the time. I had to come-along my machine 4 times yesterday and thats too much for this old guy.. also the machine keeps going straight when I try to turn so I am constantly backing up and forward again so I don't slip off the trail underneath... suspension adjustment? snow is 4 feet deep with 18 inches fresh on my trails...any advice greatly appreciated
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/14/22 06:20 PM

Getting those things to lean over like the smaller sleds just isn't possible. You can adjust the center shock preload to getting better steering control(less pushing in corners). If you loosen the tension on the shock coil spring it should put more weight on the front skis. You can also tighten the limiter strap to limit the weight transfer which will also help with steering.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/14/22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by broncoformudv
Getting those things to lean over like the smaller sleds just isn't possible. You can adjust the center shock preload to getting better steering control(less pushing in corners). If you loosen the tension on the shock coil spring it should put more weight on the front skis. You can also tighten the limiter strap to limit the weight transfer which will also help with steering.

I will second everything Bronco said. I was always playing with adjustments on the super wides I had. If you prepare before hand with the stuff along you can stop and do adjustments in the field. Once you tune the suspension to your liking you will be happy. With that much snow you really don't have a choice except a super wide! What year is your machine?

JME.Snap
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/14/22 07:54 PM

Oh man I'm in the same boat as you ! I love this new Skandic WT with the 600 ACE but there is NO body language usage on this beast !
This winter has been brutal for condx and I have the same problems. I found adjusting the front strap length so there is more weight on the front end helps
SOME but that machine is just a beast to handle especially for smaller guys with no weight to toss around !

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/14/22 08:25 PM

Well I guess being a fatty helped, LOL

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/14/22 08:41 PM

thanks guys...I'm about 250 and have been hanging off the side like its a sailboat lol...its almost new 2021

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/14/22 09:04 PM

I weigh the same and must admit not a lot of side hills but lots of glaciers that can get side hill a bit. I had a 2006 550 and a later 4 stroke. I would get big dumps of snow so I needed the ability to get down the line. Really a rough ride without snow though!

I hope you can make it work. Good luck!
Posted By: MeatBaggie

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/14/22 10:23 PM

I ride both the 1200 expedition and the Skandic 900 ace for work. Got more time on the 1200 than the skandic. I found the skandic more tippy with the LTS suspension. I’m only 130-140 pounds but I managed with them, although I’d be beat out after a run on it. A lot of tipping and hanging off the side. I liked the 1200 much more. The suspension brought the skis out farther and it helped me. There is a way to bring the skis out wider on the skandic I use but I’ve never bothered with it. Currently using the skandic now and getting more used to it but it sure is a chore. And when she starts to tip there’s no stopping it for me.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/15/22 08:14 AM

That's why I named my Expedition LE Waltzing Matilda: riding it is what I imagine dancing with a 400 pound woman is like.
Posted By: Phil Slocum

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/15/22 06:23 PM

I used this kit on my tundra and it is much less tippy, ………

STEP - stability and turning enhancement set (BRP REV-XU)
U04-600

https://www.qualipieces.com/images/...ndic-Snowmobile-Stabilizator-U04-600.jpg

In Stock
$US 239.99
Manufacturer:Qualipièces

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/16/22 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by broncoformudv

thanks soooo much....boy that helps
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/17/22 06:48 PM

You have to aggressive with the widetracks. Using leaning and throttle at the same time more often than not to get it to do what you want it to. With that being said my best advise is that you drive a widetrack not ride it.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/18/22 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Phil Slocum

U04-600

In Stock
$US 239.99

Anybody use these on a skandic wide track or super wide? Curious how much difference they make on the wider tracked machines.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Need help riding a wide track - 01/19/22 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2

Originally Posted by Phil Slocum

U04-600

In Stock
$US 239.99

Anybody use these on a skandic wide track or super wide? Curious how much difference they make on the wider tracked machines.

Rich from Trapping Inc did a YouTube video on installing these on a widetrack.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums