Home

Fires

Posted By: 3 Fingers

Fires - 06/30/22 01:13 PM

One going through the heart of my trapline right now. Got a call yesterday that smoke jumpers are at the cabin. Those guys are amazing.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Fires - 06/30/22 03:27 PM

Well by the time the fire damaged land starts producing the market is back!

Went through loss from the Wolf Creek fire years ago but the fur eventually came back better! They saved my cabin also!

Good Luck!
Posted By: white17

Re: Fires - 06/30/22 06:57 PM

Sure hope your cabin survives ! Fur should come back in a year or two better than before.

Look on the bright side.........you'll have lots of good dry wood in a year or so.

Re: Fires - 06/30/22 07:25 PM

Ya. Fair amount of the area to the NE burned in 2015 and marten numbers where high in there last year. Just mostly inaccessible. This one is coming from the S. Fortunately there is plenty of water accessible and incident report says they are setting up sprinklers. Fingers crossed. All 3

Re: Fires - 06/30/22 08:07 PM

LOL !!!!!!!!
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Fires - 07/01/22 08:08 PM

Wow I didn't realize there were that many fires. Hows Jeff making out? I read that he was on the wrong side of a fire break

[Linked Image]
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Fires - 07/02/22 12:06 AM

I had the Tanana fire crew brushing out my yard last week but we got rain and things quieted down. We are in another storm here now so it should slow things down and thankfully changed fire direction.

Florida Cracker in the next village upriver had fire three miles from their village. Thats a little close.

Thanks Squartimber for your concern.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Fires - 07/02/22 04:42 AM

Yep, it got a little close to Saint Mary's, the wife and kids flew to family in Napakiak so I didn't have to worry about them, I helped clear brush around town, had the boat loaded with camping gear, valuables, and gassed up, but it never did get close enough to evacuate. Once a slew of firefighters flew in, and the wind changed, by the 15th it was under control pretty much. With the rain we just had, we are pretty good now. Thank God. Thanks for y'all's prayers. The fire is supposed to have burned over 170,000 acres so far.

Re: Fires - 07/02/22 06:45 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Fires - 07/02/22 06:46 PM

Thought the rainbow in the first rain on the fire was neat, reminder God is in control.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Fires - 07/07/22 12:14 PM

The girlfriend is headed to Tanana Saturday to work in dispatch there. I assume they must have a remote dispatch center there. I think it will be a little more of a "rustic" setting than she is used to and they mentioned she will be staying in a "barracks". She doesn't know how spoiled she has been.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Fires - 07/09/22 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
The girlfriend is headed to Tanana Saturday to work in dispatch there. I assume they must have a remote dispatch center there. I think it will be a little more of a "rustic" setting than she is used to and they mentioned she will be staying in a "barracks". She doesn't know how spoiled she has been.

Didn't know they had a dispatch in Tanana. Must be temporary as that area does have several large fires. Might be rustic alright. Right on the yukon R. Maybe you should go, 160. You could meet all the "Yukon men"!
Posted By: Northernbeaver

Re: Fires - 07/09/22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by FL cracker in AK
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pictures, the fire was real close by the looks of things. Were any of the other villages near by affected?
I wasn't in that area for much of my life but it's one of the best places I've ever visited as far as scenery goes. Curious to see how the moose hunting goes.
With fire comes new life.

Re: Fires - 07/09/22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper

Didn't know they had a dispatch in Tanana. Must be temporary as that area does have several large fires. Might be rustic alright. Right on the yukon R. Maybe you should go, 160. You could meet all the "Yukon men"!

Her order got changed to Anchorage. She wanted me to go too but that is just Anchorage is just another Minneapolis as far as I am concerned. I hope you guys get some rain soon.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Fires - 07/13/22 06:23 PM

[quote=160user]The girlfriend is headed to Tanana Saturday to work in dispatch there. I assume they must have a remote dispatch center there. I think it will be a little more of a "rustic" setting than she is used to and they mentioned she will be staying in a "barracks". She doesn't know how spoiled she has been.

Her order got changed to Anchorage. She wanted me to go too but that is just Anchorage is just another Minneapolis as far as I am concerned. I hope you guys get some rain soon.

Anchorage has some very good fishing and beautiful scenery nearby. Lots of things to see and do within 5 hours.

Re: Fires - 07/13/22 11:18 PM

I'm in Anchorage right now and all I want to do is leave !! This place has gotten even crazier in the last three years. Lot's of crazies and druggies wandering down the streets gyrating and talking to to God. Feels like I'm back in California in the 60's
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Fires - 07/14/22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I'm in Anchorage right now and all I want to do is leave !! This place has gotten even crazier in the last three years. Lot's of crazies and druggies wandering down the streets gyrating and talking to to God. Feels like I'm back in California in the 60's

So it sounds as if you blend right in....?!!!!! grin

Re: Fires - 07/14/22 03:26 PM

I might before I get outa here !!
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Fires - 07/15/22 12:07 AM

Probably there for the Trump/Palin rally!

Re: Fires - 07/15/22 04:20 PM

Riiiiiiiight !! I love those big public events ya know !
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Fires - 07/15/22 09:37 PM

:grin
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Fires - 07/16/22 06:19 PM

Raining in Fbks today. I think the fires are dying down. What's the latest 3 fingers?

Re: Fires - 07/17/22 04:49 PM

Raining in Fbks today. I think the fires are dying down. What's the latest 3 fingers?

They called me on Sat phone from the cabin 2 weeks ago and said they were all set up as it got closer. Even asked me if there was any work I wanted done around the place : ) . Nothing since but fire map shows it has grown and burned on 3 sides of my cabin slough and a narrow band along the river bottom shows unburned. Looks like line camps are JUST inside that zone. Sent an email asking for updates yesterday so maybe know more soon
Posted By: otterman

Re: Fires - 07/18/22 05:44 AM

lost a portion of one of my lines in June not sure how bad it really is until I can get out there tundra fires suck they burn out the old beaver houses the otter use so am hoping it isn't too bad have had mixed reviews gonna have to fly it one of these days soon
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fires - 07/18/22 05:18 PM

My daughter said the road was washed out at Black Rapids and there was a fire some where near the Pogo mine.

Re: Fires - 07/20/22 03:23 AM

Just got this email

Attached picture F781413C-735A-4867-A80E-F5BB8145845B.jpeg

Re: Fires - 07/20/22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
My daughter said the road was washed out at Black Rapids and there was a fire some where near the Pogo mine.

Gary,

Road (Richarson Hwy) is repaired to the extent that there is one-lane traffic/pilot car now. Work continues.

Yes, there are 9 fires in that general area, being managed as a "complex." There are a couple of larger fires in the Good Pasture itself. See "Middle Tanana Complex" in the situation reports for Alaska Interagency Coordination Center.

Pete

Re: Fires - 07/20/22 03:35 PM

Here is link from AK Fire Info re Middle Tanana Complex. Things appear calm.

https://akfireinfo.com/2022/07/19/all-fires-within-middle-tanana-complex-unstaffed-final-update/

Pete
Posted By: otterman

Re: Fires - 07/20/22 05:37 PM

Pete is there anyway to find out if a structure was lost in a particular fire? Family has a cabin right in the area of the Pike creek fire kinda wondering if it survived

Re: Fires - 07/21/22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by otterman
Pete is there anyway to find out if a structure was lost in a particular fire? Family has a cabin right in the area of the Pike creek fire kinda wondering if it survived

Todd,

Sometimes they know or can find out from the ff's that were on the ground there or recon/mapping flights. It's worth a try. Helps if you have a legal description or grid coordinates. And it may take a day or two to track down the info. They have a Joint Information Center (JIC) set up at AFS at Ft. Wainwright. Call the JIC at 907-356-5511.

If they are less than helpful, get back to me and I will "shake the bushes" on your behalf. I had surgery earlier this week; I'm not working. But I know some people!

Pete

Re: Fires - 07/28/22 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks

https://akfireinfo.com/2022/07/19/all-fires-within-middle-tanana-complex-unstaffed-final-update/

Pete

Geez Pete you could have been a Public Information Officer. smile

Re: Fires - 07/29/22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks

Pete

Geez Pete you could have been a Public Information Officer. smile

As you know, I have a large collection of fire tee-shirts! grin

pb

Re: Fires - 07/29/22 02:48 PM

I have a few of those T-shirts myself but it seems "tacky" wearing one with a 1990 date on them. smile

Re: Fires - 07/30/22 01:53 PM

I have a few of those T-shirts myself but it seems "tacky" wearing one with a 1990 date on them. smile

The oldest fire t-shirt in my collection is circa 1977. Apparently before that, they weren't really a "thing!"

Then again, we were whupping up on dangerous flames while wearing dungarees! I'm not sure where it is now, but I did have an old fire shirt that was orange instead of yellow. Last time I tried it on, it had "shrunk" quite a bit!

Pete

Re: Fires - 08/02/22 04:11 PM

Remember the old Nomex jeans where the fly wouldn't stay zipped up? I don't miss those britches at all!

[Linked Image]

Re: Fires - 08/03/22 03:03 PM

Yup. The ones that "bleached" out after a season in the sun! pb
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Fires - 08/04/22 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
Got a call yesterday that smoke jumpers are at the cabin.

Oh man...that's a scary thought! The heck with the fire! wink

Re: Fires - 08/04/22 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jumperzee
Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
Got a call yesterday that smoke jumpers are at the cabin.

Oh man...that's a scary thought! The heck with the fire! wink

There will be "flip flop" tracks everywhere!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums