Home

Decreasing pelts pre-industrial

Posted By: Oysterman

Decreasing pelts pre-industrial - 11/11/22 01:19 PM

Hi folks!
Trying to figure out how to degrease coons without naphtha or commercial formulas. I am pretty sure the first nations people used coon and I don't imagine they used greasy, stinky pelts. I read on another forum about using urine. Anyone know anything? Thanks!
Posted By: isnarewolves

Re: Decreasing pelts pre-industrial - 11/11/22 05:15 PM

Are you tanning them? If so, add Dawn soap to your soak up water and also add to your tanning solution. Dawn soap is animal friendly, just saying. laugh
Posted By: GrayWolfandPack

Re: Decreasing pelts pre-industrial - 11/11/22 09:36 PM

We haven’t used the stale urine but I’m pretty certain the ammonia just keeps the hide white while you are smoking the hide. Not super practical unless you’re making like a ceremonial garment.

I would say that if it were to act as a degreaser it would have to be like 2-3 week long stale pee
Posted By: waggler

Re: Decreasing pelts pre-industrial - 11/12/22 12:15 AM

Saw dust/wood flour
Posted By: Boco

Re: Decreasing pelts pre-industrial - 11/12/22 12:59 AM

You can de grease the leather by repeated scraping and weting
until there is no more liquid grease,then drying.

You will know it is degreased enough to tan well when no beads of oil appear on the leather when dry.

A thoroughly frost scraping will render a hide grease free and is used where climatic conditions allow.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Decreasing pelts pre-industrial - 11/12/22 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Oysterman
Hi folks!
Trying to figure out how to degrease coons without naphtha or commercial formulas. I am pretty sure the first nations people used coon and I don't imagine they used greasy, stinky pelts. I read on another forum about using urine. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

That sort of thing is all relative
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Decreasing pelts pre-industrial - 11/12/22 06:12 AM

Correct. Around here most were just scraped and washed, sometimes ashes used.

Some on the coast use to blow up a seal skin and add urine and roll it around and let it sit to tan the inside.

My mukluks are just scrape tanned.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums