Home

Trap line Axe

Posted By: mavryk1971

Trap line Axe - 11/13/22 03:03 AM

What is your go to axe type/size for your line?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/13/22 03:32 AM

I use a few different axes on the line for different purposes.
If I am running light breaking trail I bring a good set of loppers and a 2 1/2 lb boys axe head,concave bit hafted on a long handle,sort of like a light limbing axe.
Also good for chopping bait.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/13/22 04:00 AM

I carry a double bitted cruisers Axe to cut trail with. You can pound something with the side of it if you have to, but if I plan on doing any pounding, driving beaver drowning stakes etc. I pack a boys Axe. If I am serious about doing quite a bit of pounding I will carry a 3 1/2 or 4 pound full size single bit Axe. Regardless of type I want a knifelike blade, or as Boco calls it a concave bit, and have it sharp enough to shave with. If I'm packing a double bitted one one side will be sharp enough to shave hair off my arm and I only use it to chop standing trees or most of the way through a down log, the other side will start out as sharp but may have dings or chips in it, because I use it to chop the last little bit through a log or in any other situation where I might chop through and into the ground. That way I don't risk rocking or dulling the one side I do most of the cutting with.
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/13/22 04:41 AM

I carry a boys axe in my snogo box and a hand axe in my sled. I also carry a machette mounted on the side of my snogo box and probably use it the most. I also always have a small chainsaw with me. Sometimes I carry a bigger axe if i'm overnighting it for splitting firewood..........................
Posted By: Aknative

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/13/22 07:29 AM

I like the Estwing axe. It's great for limbing big trees, decent for cutting through some trees, great for using the throat to limb a marten pole. It's not the greatest, but I haven't broken one yet. I also use a machete, tomahawk, swedish brush axe. I'm trying to move from swinging cutting tools to using pruning saws where I can.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/13/22 03:52 PM

I like the long handled Estwing also.I keep it nearly razor sharp mostly for brush work. About the only thing it's not really useful for is splitting firewood due to it's somewhat hollow-ground configuration.
Posted By: nooksack

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/13/22 05:57 PM

[Linked Image]

I carry a 28” Fiskars axe around $60. Stays sharp, files easy, light, and I have yet to break a handle in well over 10 years. Keep one in the boat as well. It cuts, and splits well. I think the Teflon coating is what makes it cut like a hollow ground head.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/13/22 07:14 PM

I like the Fiskars axe also, although I did split the handle on one.
Great thing is Fiskars backs their products and they sent me a new one.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/14/22 03:51 AM

I have a Fiskars I love for splitting wood when I'm making firewood, and I've used it to chop stuff out of the road when it is what I had. Works better than a lot of axes but not as good as a concave bit, in my opinion.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/14/22 06:14 AM

I've got a lot of different size Fiskars, never broken one yet, easy to sharpen.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/15/22 02:17 AM

Gransfors forest axe. The larger one.

Had it for years now
Posted By: otterman

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/15/22 03:03 PM

I carry an eastwing axe and a Gerber Hatchet along with a folding hand saw The saw is used primarily when I have to remove a small tree anywhere near my track sliced a track with a sharp axe on a brand new machine one time that was a $1000 mistake
Posted By: trapped4ever

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/16/22 02:11 AM

An assortment.... I probably use the rigging hatchet on the far left the most. It has a waffle head like a framing hammer for driving nails, and a nail puller too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: luvcanids

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/16/22 01:08 PM

Trap4 ever

What function does the tape on handle butt have?
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Trap line Axe - 11/18/22 03:32 AM

Got the smaller one that's in the trapper post, Christmas gift from my wife.
3-4 year's back been ok for me haven't broke it or lost it yet laugh
© 2024 Trapperman Forums