Home

Sat phone rate increase

Posted By: 3 Fingers

Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 02:17 AM

Got an email saying that my Northern Lights plan will go from 6 months and $279 to $340. May be time to ditch it. InReach works well.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 03:21 AM

Inreach for me.
Posted By: Hankit

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 04:22 AM

I dropped mine for inreach
Posted By: waggler

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 07:10 AM

I dropped mine a couple of years ago. It seems to be the only "new" technology that is actually regressing. I sure wouldn't buy a new sat phone now.
Cell phones are already starting to connect to satellites in some instances. It won't be long before all cell phones will connect that way.

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 07:57 AM

Been keeping sat phone mostly for on the boat and those times it’s required to call ADFG 6 or 8 hours before landing some groundfish species. But also long stretches at camp it’s nice to hear the wife’s voice sometimes. And if the InReach goes out for some reason it’s good backup.
Posted By: GrayWolfandPack

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 10:04 AM

I use the inreach also
Posted By: white17

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
I dropped mine a couple of years ago. It seems to be the only "new" technology that is actually regressing. I sure wouldn't buy a new sat phone now.
Cell phones are already starting to connect to satellites in some instances. It won't be long before all cell phones will connect that way.

T-Mobile has been talking to Musk about using Star Link in the T-Mobile system
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 07:07 PM

I keep hoping they will merge the type of service available with InReach into mobile plans from wireless providers. Apple has emergency service through satellite on their iPhone14 already.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 07:28 PM

I'll bet that within a fairly short period of time both InReach and sat phones will be obsolete. A cell phone will be all you need. However, I will still always carry my 406 MHz PLB when on a boat or in remote locations.
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/07/23 11:50 PM

I'm using starlink right now at our trapping cabin, we have the RV service so you can take it wherever you go. We can also use our cell phone around the cabin but not on the line so we still have a sat.

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/08/23 12:05 AM

[Linked Image]
Space age trapping!

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/08/23 12:44 AM

@victor#0, what is the monthly rate on the Starlink plan?

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/08/23 12:59 AM

$135 for the RV service, we can take it wherever we go. The home service if it's going to be in one place is$110. It's super fast so you can watch movies etc.

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/08/23 01:40 AM

McDang now!

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/08/23 01:57 AM

We're lucky my wife's job paid for the StarLink as well as the service so she can work from the Bush while I go trapping and fishing. Can't complain about that!

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/08/23 02:01 AM

Lucky fellow!
Posted By: keyo

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/09/23 11:49 PM

Would be interested in what company you’re with? I just got notice of renewal from satellite phone store mine is going from $279 plus surcharges and fee’s making it $312.48 to 436.80 including surcharges and fees.

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/10/23 12:45 AM

There really is no competition in the iridium system the last time I checked. Quite a few different plans but they all pencil-out the same.
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/10/23 01:44 AM

Range Global $275
range global northern lights plan

We've had Starlink for over a month now. What a difference from our horrible HughesNet service !!
We dumped HughesNet.
BTW ... if anyone is concerned about Starlink working in the cold, not a single hiccup during our last
cold spell that lasted 10 days with a low of -64.

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/10/23 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by keyo
Would be interested in what company you’re with? I just got notice of renewal from satellite phone store mine is going from $279 plus surcharges and fee’s making it $312.48 to 436.80 including surcharges and fees.

Iridium Northern Lights Plan thru Surveyors Exchange
Posted By: keyo

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/10/23 03:09 AM

Thanks, will call them in the morning.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/10/23 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by victor#0
[Linked Image]
Space age trapping!

That’s great news for your family! Starlink sure is changing things for a lot of people. Hope it stays affordable and functioning good.
Posted By: otterman

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/10/23 07:35 PM

dump the sat phone a couple years ago and went with the inreach
Posted By: Thurman

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/11/23 08:38 PM

With the jumos in things like starlink im wondering how much longer ill be using my inreach. might just switch to starlink for communication and go back to something like spot for emergancy situations as its cheaper.
Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/29/23 12:55 PM

Most sat phones and gps systems, also home security systems, cctv, etc used to used 3G cards to transmit and receive. As of the first of the year all MOd/UMtS equipment (which is 3g) was shut down except in areas with high hacidic Jews as they only use 3g phones or are supposed to not have access to the internet.

All but 16 Verizon sites have been turned down, and they are in New York. So basically any and all systems that used 3g now have to be switched over to 4g. This caused a lot of people to redo their security systems over the past few months.
Posted By: trapped4ever

Re: Sat phone rate increase - 01/29/23 07:00 PM

These have gotten pretty popular in the fishing fleet, since they are cheaper than the Garmin/Delorme inreach, both to purchase, and the monthly fee is usually at least $15 per month lower. Everyone I know that has used both, report the Zoleo works consistently better, both acquiring a signal more reliably, and also not having the problem of messages getting temporarily "stuck" in cyberspace.

https://www.zoleo.com/en-us
© 2024 Trapperman Forums