Home

Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds

Posted By: mntrapperboy

Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds - 03/28/23 09:55 PM

Was up a few years ago for a week of mainly Sockeye fishing with my boys, borrowed a knife for cleaning. Coming up this year again and would like to go up with my own this year, sense of pride using my own knife more than anything. I absolutely love cleaning fish as much as catching them! I'm sure the input is wide ranging but if you have a favorite knife for the job I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

Jack
Posted By: BillNye

Re: Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds - 03/28/23 10:23 PM

Hard to beat the Victorinox fillet knives for value, especially if you do boneless fillets. https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Cutlery/Chef%27s-Knives/Swiss-Classic-Filleting-Knife/p/6.8713.20G

I prefer a straight back and wide, flexible blade when I'm filleting in volume. You can get well under a minute per fish with practice
Posted By: waggler

Re: Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds - 03/29/23 01:06 AM

I suppose it's what you are used to, but I don't like "fillet knives" that are long, thin and flexible. I want to be able to gauge where the tip of the blade is, those flimsy blades don't allow that. I like a 10 inch cimeter knife.
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds - 03/29/23 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
I suppose it's what you are used to, but I don't like "fillet knives" that are long, thin and flexible. I want to be able to gauge where the tip of the blade is, those flimsy blades don't allow that. I like a 10 inch cimeter knife.

Ditto, I also use a large chef's knife too......
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds - 03/29/23 08:49 AM

I like a stiff enough blade to zip right through the rib bones and leave them on the filet to keep the rib meat from freezer degradation. Rib meat is the fattest/most moist but also very thin and trimming the ribs out to cook is no big deal.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds - 03/29/23 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
I like a stiff enough blade to zip right through the rib bones and leave them on the filet to keep the rib meat from freezer degradation. Rib meat is the fattest/most moist but also very thin and trimming the ribs out to cook is no big deal.

That's a good point. However, I don't really like frozen salmon anyway if it's been kept in a typical home deep freeze. A month or two at most and it gets an off taste imo. In fact most of the sockeye that I freeze is given away soon after I freeze it, most people don't really have the skill (or a sharp knife} to trim out the rib bones, so I do them a favor.
Posted By: mntrapperboy

Re: Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds - 03/29/23 07:23 PM

Thanks everybody for your choices. Never really thought about leaving the rib bones in before to help out. My taste buds are probably not as refined around Salmon being a mid-continent guy as we ate out of the freezer for almost two years. High Quality Vaccuum packing made a world of difference. Our inland fish (Walleye/Pike/Panfish) have maybe 2-3 months if not frozen in water. Those packs with a broken seal from being moved around in the freezer had a very short shelf life. We had some packs that were perfectly sucked down to the fillet at the two-year mark.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Fillet Knife for Silvers/Reds - 03/29/23 08:09 PM

Bubba knife
© 2024 Trapperman Forums