Home

Snake- Cool temps = snake calls

Posted By: Ron Scheller

Snake- Cool temps = snake calls - 10/26/09 02:43 AM

Getting a few snake calls with these cooler temps. Had this nice Eastern Rat snake in a home a few days ago... but the home had a real mouse problem. She would have been better off leaving the snake in there! My nephew is certainly comfortable with helping me.... medium-sized rat snake at 56 inches.

Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Cool temps = snake calls - 10/26/09 10:57 AM

That will be the talk of the neighborhood.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Cool temps = snake calls - 10/26/09 10:03 PM

They are still moving here. I have received an unusually large number of calls recently for juvenile (newly hatched) Gray Rat Snakes inside homes. Here is a picture of a “first shedding” left at a weep hole.

Six young Gray Rat Snakes were caught coming out from under the kitchen sink cabinet. All weep holes were screened.
I received a call last Friday, 23 Oct 09, reporting a snake in the yard. My Rat Terrier pup was bitten by a Copperhead a couple of years ago.
Since then he is not too fond of snakes. He will find them but will not approach them. So I took him with me. Here is what he was soon barking at-

They were together. I haven’t sexed them, but suspect a small male and larger female.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Cool temps = snake calls - 10/27/09 12:43 AM

Ron, call me crazy but IMO the southern copperhead has got to be the prettiest of all our snakes.
Posted By: nccoyote

Re: Cool temps = snake calls - 10/27/09 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Ron, call me crazy but IMO the southern copperhead has got to be the prettiest of all our snakes.

I agree!
Posted By: Pete

Re: Cool temps = snake calls - 10/30/09 12:34 PM

I am off on a call this morning to a telephone office about 30 miles south of here. Apparently they have a Rattlesnake in their generator/warehouse building. Some folks were rattled at yesterday and now nobody wants to go into this area. You have to consider that it is -2 C out and did snow some yesterday. I have my own thoughts that it might be a Great Basin Gopher Snake but I will see when I get there.
Posted By: Pete

Re: Cool temps = snake calls - 10/31/09 11:45 PM

Call turned out to be a small gopher snake that had come up through the drain into the warehouse. Captured, gave a quick hands on talk on snake identification and safety issues, out the door, released and was gone.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Cool temps = snake calls - 11/01/09 12:37 AM

It's amazing how many people have no idea that many species of snakes shake their tail when distressed. I think that's how so many stories get started.... they HEAR a rattlesnake (so they think) as a common species shakes it's tail in the dry leaves or dead grasses. Sure.... sounds a bit like a rattler, but only if you've never actually heard one. The fact that way too many people have a completely unreasonable fear of snakes also adds to the stories being blown out of proportion.
© 2021 Trapperman Forums