Home

HR1022- Take action now! Easy to use form.

Posted By: Bret4207

HR1022- Take action now! Easy to use form. - 03/27/07 06:47 PM

This will be the first effort on the part of http://www.stopguncontrol.info . I'm asking all members here use the following sample or one of your own to contact your State Representative about this bill. It's the '94 Assault Weapons ban only stronger.

Here is a sample letter that can be used via the "cut and paste" method outlined here-

http://www.stopguncontrol.info/forum...hread.php?t=24

Follow the directions in that post. Once its pasted in the message box at the site you wish to contact you can change the wording to add your name and your Representatives name or any wording you choose to add or delete. It's only a suggested outline, feel free to change it.

Here's a link to find and contact your Representative-

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

To the Honorable

I am writing you to voice my opposition, in the strongest possible terms, to HR1022, the so called "Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007" as introduced by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-NY. McCarthy entitled her bill the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007, knowing these firearms aren't "assault weapons" and knowing the bill she is reintroducing does nothing to prevent violent crime since the guns in question have seldom been used in crime.

Truth be told, HR 1022 is the old "Assault Weapons Ban" ban on steroids. Fourteen more guns are listed by name than in the '94 ban, and only one "dangerous" feature, such as a pistol grip, is needed to make a "nice" gun into a "bad" gun. The old ban required two "dangerous" features, such as a pistol grip and a folding stock. This distinction effectively expands the scope of the bill to ban a far broader variety of firearms, many used for hunting, recreational shooting, target shooting and personal protection.

Since the U.S. Department of Justice has already documented that the previous "assault weapons" ban did absolutely nothing to stop violent crime, it is clear that HR 1022 is simply a direct attack on the 2nd Amendment rights of gun owners.

More than 10 years ago, the anti-gun lobby and their friends in the media began waging a campaign to frighten people and convince them that the so-called "assault weapons" are rapid fire machine guns when, in reality, they are merely semi-automatic firearms that look different than traditional hunting rifles.

This bill is designed to cripple the firearms industry while infringing on the rights of all gun owners. It is proof positive that the anti-gun members of Congress really don't care about stopping crime or saving lives, they just want to take our guns away.

As a law abiding, tax paying citizen of this State, I fail to see why punishing people like myself and my family with onerous regulations, retro-active laws, and unfair justice serves to promote public safety. This is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to outlaw firearms based on appearance and a few features deemed "dangerous" by Rep. McCarthy. It seems to me that common sense would say that we should enforce the multitude of gun laws already on the books with stiff sentences and give law enforcement the tools they need to bring those using arms illegally to justice. Criminals are the problem, not law abiding gun owners like myself.

I urge you to vote down this bill should it come before you. In these days of terrorist attacks, natural disasters resulting in a complete failure of Government and subsequent social unrest as seen in New Orleans and rampant illegal drug use and resultant crime against persons and property, it seems to me that taking away a persons last line of self defense is unwise at the least. I should hope it is not your intention to vote in favor of bills like HR1022 and leave your constituents defenseless in the face of these issues. Likewise, restricting a hunter, target shooter or recreational shooters choice based on appearance and a few features is unfair and ill advised.

I await your response and hope you share my concerns.

Respectfully
© 2024 Trapperman Forums