Home

marten traps

Posted By: akntrpr

marten traps - 10/13/11 08:35 PM

Heres a little project I'm working on for marten this year. Last year they would circle the tree but not climb so this is going to be my "remedy". I'm moving my boxes down about two feet off the ground on a down tree, just above what our normal snow accumulation is approx. I usually use footholds but since they can't hang I'm going to use connibears. I wanted to make my presentation as unrestricted and visually appealing as possible so I'm going to a pan instead of wires for triggers. I didn't like the heigth of the pan by just bending the wires and attaching to it so I did it this way. I lowered my pan by 3/8 to 1/2 inch over that method and its also permanent. heres a few pics.

Posted By: HFT AK

Re: marten traps - 10/13/11 08:40 PM

That looks dang good!
Posted By: frozen okie

Re: marten traps - 10/13/11 09:25 PM

man that does look good pretty open
Posted By: Richard Phillips

Re: marten traps - 10/14/11 12:41 AM

Good luck with your pans; you did a great job with them. I went to using Berkshire coni-pans on my 120's a few years ago, but very quickly decided I didn't like them. The marten seemed to step over them rather than on them and I had lots of misses. I countered that by bending the pan up at nearly a 45-degree angle so they would fire the trap with their chest, but then I was getting lots of hip catches. After giving them one season I yanked them off and went back to the trigger wires bent out in a "horshoe" shape with a light wire between them.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: marten traps - 10/14/11 12:50 AM

I, too, tried the Berkshire's. Not impressed. However, I am going to try ONE 120 hardwood pan, and ONE 160 hardwood pan this year. They are much wider than the Berk's, if that matters at all.
Jury is out 'till Dec.

Re: marten traps - 10/14/11 12:57 AM

Thanks for the comments. I'm curious if bait placement will help with the stepping over. I shortened my boxes hoping that by putting the bait closer they might not step over but on it. I have always used #1 coils before this and never had a problem with them stepping over those pans. We'll see!
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: marten traps - 10/14/11 02:03 AM

I use a relatively long box and set the trap about 4' in front of the bait and get a humane catch 99.9% of the time. You will find details in this thread http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2593936
Posted By: Family Trapper

Re: marten traps - 10/14/11 06:02 AM

Good luck. I have fought with this delima for longer than I want to think about. As most of you know. I would venture to say that I have had in the neighbor hood of 60-80 marten give me the cold shoulder on one check of my line at times checking 150-200 sets. It sucks. I quickly realized that my non climbers needed a lower venue but it doesn't work nearly like you would think in my area. I thought I had it a few years ago when I hit the 50 in one check on a new bait. But it hasn't panned out since. Not uncommon for them to walk under the set and pee. Inches away from entering the set.
I have almost thrown in the towel on them. Almost. And I have given it a pretty good shot. I have some ideas this year as a new approach.
I don't think it has anything to do with less restriction, more open looking etc that keeps them from committing. I think it is very much tied to how they are keying in on the food source. They seem to get a one track mind. Warm dinner vs cold.
Personally I think if a person was to play with trigger scents it would have a lot more to do with changing your success than with the looks of the trap. But man if you figure it out let me in on it.
Posted By: Bushman

Re: marten traps - 10/14/11 05:41 PM

If you're using short boxes I'd suggest you wire down your bait. I went to shorter and shorter boxes and found my mis-fires and nose catches steadily increased the shorter the cubby box. I just toss bait in the back of my cubbies though in the pursuit of speed. 16" deep seems optimal to ensure a good catch. I used to think a catch right behind the head was pefect but actually a suit-cased marten is probably what we should be aiming for.

Re: marten traps - 10/14/11 06:27 PM

Len-I think there is more to it than that. I think visual is key to the overall formula. You put your bait in a bucket facing down so I feel (just my opinion) that you have no visual appeal at all unless they are already under your bucket Curiosity, odor, and hunger are all factors as well I don't think they all trigger by the same thing. I wouldn't use the same bait or lure on every set I always alternate it you miss it in one maybe the next one will appeal to them. Beaver is good bait but not one of their main diets so IMO grouse or vole is more atractive to them but alternateing bait is always best. First and foremost is lure to get them there otherwise they have to "stumble" upon it. You obviously have quite a few where you are so I'm sure it happens where you are

Bushman-do you use pans or wires? I fasten my bait to the back so they have to work at it, I think it raises the chance if they are pulling on the bait rather than picking it up and running out plus if you miss that one you're still baited up for the next one.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Posted By: Boco

Re: marten traps - 10/14/11 09:05 PM

To consistently doble strike marten,place box on tree with opening down screen to top.Set 120 mag with trigger in an L shape with one side of L by the tree side.In this area it will catch every weasel that goes into box as they sit on trigger(as seen on trap test video) Jay catches are almost nil(about 1 in 50). Also very easy to change bait,just cut wire holding bait and put in fresh.I prefer beaver meat for bait after real cold sets in,grouse is OK early in season.Abit of silver ribbon at set provides a visual as marten have very good eyesight.Pans are also good for humane double strike if set so as marten steps on pan when nose is at bait.

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 07:15 AM

I pursued the visual and some new smells last year to no avail. I spray glued in feathers on my pots. Even spayed what was supposed to be grouse pee. From a dog training company on the feathers to add to the system. Looked very cool inviting. I set a lot of them on the ground horizontally. Risky with a snow fall but I took the chances as I was only going to check once or twice. I saw no difference in their opinion. Some drainages produced better. I don't have any trouble getting marten to the set. Just interested in wanting what is in the pot bad enough to go in. Or climb. Beaver, tainted grouse.

I pulled the bait out here to show what was in it.

I set them up on tipups. Pretty easy setup I cam up with for the attachement.

Oh wait there is a warm vole over their. Pizz on you.

The fact that I get many marten to my sets with no interest leads me to think that a trail set set up with a gland lure of some kind might be a possibility. So much fun has gone out of pursuing them after the last few years I really think that I will start pursuing something else. I am not going to pursue in March any more as the refusals seem to be at their worst. It is just the best access time for me. Will see what the year brings this year. I have a couple ideas to float around this year.

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 03:21 PM

Len I wonder if the time of year has anything to do with it. Since you only target them for a couple weeks in the spring. When do they start to mate? Could they be in a mode where nothing else matters but finding a mate that time of year? It certainly works that way for Lynx!
Posted By: Trapalaska

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 04:00 PM

Len,

Are you going to start farming voles and putting them in cages in the back of your pots this year? smile

I have a small section of line where they do the same thing. Come running in on the bait or lure smell and then just look at it. Some even climb the pole and just look at it. I'm switching up the bait this year.
Posted By: Boles

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 05:23 PM

Every one has a different idea which is nice to read as we can take, leave or try different ideas from others and form our own procedures. Heres my take
The marten in this area will climb I get refusals everyonce in a while from a few that do not.
When I 1st recieved a trail camera it put it to use right away taking pictures of how the marten worked a set- vertical vs horizontal.Since then its not very often I set vertical.
I make all my horizontal sets very easy for them to access,leaning poles.horizontal stick past the face of the boz etc.The other thing I do is large boxes to hold large amounts of bait,10 lbs or more is the norm.To a marten this represents a huge windfall. The walkers will climb then!Keeps them around and working that set.Sooner or later they get caught.Lots of times I do not use any other scent.
Larger baits also will have a marten working the bait while another is hanging in that 120.
If a storm blows in with a big dump of snow and you cant run the traps that hanging marten is good for a long time before anything gets around to eating it.
Only draw back is you have to haul large amounts until your boxes are full.The wolverine also like that bait too and can and will make a mess.These pictures have been posted before. Some anyway

Trail camera at work

Wolverine working the large bait.Notice the bush repair jub to that marten box as he had visited before

Some of the things that work for me.Feel free to take or leave
tHANKS
dAN'L

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 05:37 PM

I find this thread very interesting as I have never experience marten or fisher refusing to commit to a set except very rarely. I have heard this from others in the lower 48 also, thus causing my curiousity to the conditions causing the refusals. I have never used the plastic flower pots or newspaper tubes, just wooden boxes. My bait is basically beaver and occassionally deer or moose scraps with a sweet anise/raspberry jam or beaver castor/anise lure. Cold metal and plastic has a less desirable feel than cold wood and the marten cannot grip plastic with there claws like with wood. Thus I wonder if it could have something to do with the plastic along with some other factors?
Posted By: northway

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 05:45 PM

Nothing new here, but figuring out that using leg holds on the ground will up your catch % greatly. I have almost NEVER had a refusal on the ground, but also realize that there could be damage to the marten from voles. I think that using conibears are the problem in my opinion. I've never been sold on 100% conibears and not even 50%. I like the vertical can sets as nothing stops them from working, but there are a lot of refusals with conibears. I bet I run 90% leg holds on poles versus boxes or cans with coni's. JMO though.
Posted By: Calvin V.V

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 06:09 PM

do you shoot them birds
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 07:16 PM

Len,

You need to try out some footholds on those tip ups if they are at least coming and looking under the bucket to see what is in there.

-TJ
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 07:36 PM

You definantly have to keep them off the ground with the fox population we have around here..or they will ALL go to very expensive fox feed.

Re: marten traps - 10/15/11 09:32 PM

I just dug up the study that was done here in our area.
STUDY SUMMARY: A marten trap testing study was conducted in the boreal forest of northern Ontario in the Geraldton,Hearst and Kapuskasing Districts of the Ministry of Natural Resources.Trap testing Occurred from 25 Oct to 28 Feb in each of 2 years 1988 to 1990.by 23 registered trappers from the area. Director of the study was Milan Novak,MNR Ontario.

TRAPPERS OPINIONS OF MARTEN TRAPS AND SETS FIELD TESTED FROM 1988 TO 1990 IN NORTHERN ONTARIO

To summarize;"22 of the 23 trappers ranked the wooden box on tree trunk with the opening facing down as their preferred set out of the 5 tested. This was also the set that caught the most martens".

Mabey you guys could get a scientific study going to find out which set is most productive in your area?

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 01:46 AM

bctomcat
My experience in the lower 48. western Montana was the same as yours. If I saw a marten track anywhere near a set I knew I would have him or a miss. They just didn't refuse.
Funny thing is that 20 years ago I trapped not too far from where I am now. Out of Kotlik. The marten were voracious then. I was using fish for bait. Which by the way is something I haven't tried in the last 5 years of long lining. I remember that they would dig down in the snow to get the crumbs from me sawing a piece of bait.
Boco you have hit on the one thing I have found that keeps them interested. Big baits. But I have resisted as it is just not conducive to what I was trying to achieve. Lots of sets put in efficiently. Putting out 200 sets with big bait is a whole different operation. Not one I have had time for. I will scale back and experiment more.
Thats where I am going this year. A lot few sets, multiple traps per set and large baits. If the beaver cooperate.
I am also going to give it a go earlier. At least in some areas I can get into early. And then again I might just try to concentrate on Homer where my kids are and be close to home.
TJ I have thought about the foot holds but also resisted the fact that one snow puts you out of commission. Not to mention that I just don't have any small foot traps anymore. I thought about building simple leantoos with plastic to keep them working.
Posted By: Castor Gitter

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 04:09 AM

After reading over all this I had an idea... FT I believe you like tip ups from what you've said in previous posts- has anyone ever tried one with a foothold? Something on the principal like the stoploss traps for muskrats maybe? Trap fires as usual and when the marten starts to struggle it pulls out a pin connected to the trap chain and voila marten in the air! Just an idea that popped into the head. Only have used footholds on pole and limb sets so far for them. Maybe use in conjunction with a cubby of some sorts?

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 05:45 AM

Getting the tip up to work is not hard but getting one to work past the first 3 inches of snow is. Anything is doable on a small scale.
I was totally keyed in on large number of sets.
When they cooperate it is a good combination.

I gave a dozen leg holds a try a few years ago. It was still getting them inside that was the problem.

The ground cubbies worked better than pots. But time consuming.

Hopefully I can be there some year when they have a change in attitude.

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 06:08 AM

Nice catch there in front of the tent. With that one on the pole how are you configuring the tip up? Cannot tell by the pic.
Posted By: travlinnorth

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 06:45 AM

Any more pics of succesfull marten sets? Anything in archives maybe?
Posted By: yukontrapper

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 06:52 AM

Hello Family trapper. I am new at writing here. But i been reading for a few years though. I like your marten tip-up set. Are the walk by's consistent in certain areas of your line or is there an area where it happens all the time. Possible idea, in an area where walk bys are consistent. Set your tip-up on a bigger tree (12"-18") using your coni-bucket. one pole on one side for the coni and on the other side have another tip-up using a #1 under your bucket. See if that helps on getting the picky marten. Thus keeping you your set still working. Seems a bit much but then a 70-80 dollar marten leaving is no fun either. Even if you add it every ten sets thats only 20 #1's for you 200 set longline. Idea on ground cubbies, add spruce bows to the sides of you low bucket set. Thanks for all the ideas you gave me over time. Good luck this year, we are still fall here, not frozen and no snow :-(

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 07:23 AM

Travlinnorth this is the link to the marten archive.
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/32032/

Yukon
I don't think it is the way I set the trap that will make the difference.
I really think it is the trigger that I need to find that will get them to move in.
The right gland lure but most likely not in a tight space like a pot, or large bait. My wolverine are much the same way. They ignore anything that isn't substantial. They walk right by my marten sets. At least the last few years. But big baits like a beaver will hold the interest of both. When ever I put out a beaver for bait. The marten are on it. But they will walk right by a small piece time and time again. I can't figure. I have to transport my bait quite a ways. Along with camp etc. Time to change my stategies.

I have seen multiple marten hold up on a beaver. I am hoping that by working less sets with larger baits and more traps at a set will bring more marten home with me.

Castor I set so few with legholds I don't remember exactly. I think I took the tag end of the wire that was left on the trap chain and gave a hook through a fence staple. Something that with a struggle would give way.
I found a great way to make a ground cubby release for a conibear and tipup.
By cutting a tree that the conibear will just fit over when unset will hold very firmly when set. I just poke the tree into the snow and pack firmly. Attach conibear and then build my cubby. This made a difference but still was not as consistent as I would like.
I built the cubbies out of black spruce tree tips. One side shaved down. They worked quite well.

Something that I did last year. As mentioned above was to keep a can of spray adhesive in my coat. At a set I would spray the tree and apply feathers. Same inside the pot. How much eye appeal do you need? The method worked really well in theory. Marten were indifferent..

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 08:09 AM

FT, i know what you mean about room and space while out on the line. I aswell run a bravo. I been pondering using 3in PVC one end heated up and closed then adding bait through the other side. Using the Closed end for hanging and attaching to tree. Jus trying to find how to set up with coni or trap. Use on leaning poles or on verticle trees. I mainly use fish for bait most the winter except when i come accross beavers. I liked how you had hanging beaver bait awhile back been wanting to try it this coming winter. On our lines we mainly use pole sets, more permanent sets are 12X12 boxes 5 feet high. I use alot of small wood boxes for the lower sets. i use either coni's or #1's depending on the kinda set i am looking to have. It is hard trying big baits in little pots. i think your ideal set can work as long as Gulo don't find it. Alright getting late, long day in the Trap Shack tomorrow.

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 03:00 PM

If you need to haul more gear hook a couple of sleighs in tandem.
Posted By: takotna

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 04:25 PM

FT, I'd sure like to see how your marten react in Nov or Dec when there more aggressive, at least around here they are, marten committing to poles on my line in Feb slows way down if I trap to the end.

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 06:35 PM

Hello Takotna, the line i use the we got 60 marten by christmas a few times in the past. We also slow down when trapping till the end. This crazy weather i am sure we won't be anywhere come november... Should put my boat back in :-)

Re: marten traps - 10/16/11 07:07 PM

Hello Boco, yea it is possible on the main trail to the cabins, but else where it will suck. My Bravo has a hard enough time jus pulling my main sled i use. Especially having to break trail pulling...On the main trail the bravo does good but if i began expecting to much the bravo knows it lol.

Re: marten traps - 10/17/11 02:39 AM

Hey Len what are you using for lure? Is there a possibility that the time of the season they might be wanting something out of the normal? All your sets I've seen on here look like they should make good catches. Darn finicky critters. Maybe over abundance of prey?

Mike

Re: marten traps - 10/17/11 03:19 AM

Yukon,You might consider a 600 wide track,alot of the big numbers beaver trappers use them around here and those guys look like their hauling their whole camp lol.I know if you have a lot of open country its tuff to keep a trail open.

Re: marten traps - 10/17/11 06:42 AM

I am considering a larger sled. One that I can haul my bravo with to camp. ;0) and maybe a sled of beavers too! Actually I was presently surprised at how easy it was to haul a few years ago when we broke down.
It is looking slim for a cold freeze up in Oct/Nov. If I do trap this year it will be much earlier in the season.

Castor I use a skunk base lure I put together. I have no problem getting marten to the sets. Just getting them to commit consistently. I am sure it is largely due to the abundance of voles. I know that 4-5 years ago when I first started my long lining for marten I went about it like I had on a much smaller scale for 30 years. It was during Dec. but I quickly found it was going to be a problem with refusals even then. In a matter of a month I had to learn a whole new system. I had used pole sets all my life. Was a lot of experimenting going on in a short period of time I had areas that produced well. But the larger part of my area was very problematic. I can't seem to break the 100 mark. 96 is my best. I have two goals in life for marten trapping, Beating the 50 in once check of all my sets and breaking the 100 mark for the season. ;0)
It is all complicated by the fact that I trap 500 miles from where I live.

Re: marten traps - 10/17/11 03:34 PM

Morning, i had a 500 wide track back in yr 2000. Put 15K miles on it and sold it. It blew the crank start of the 4th year. I had a 440 Skandic for a few years and that blew as well but it had 13k miles. So in a hurry i got the Bravo because cost to buy it, average distance i go trapping and the cost of fuel.

Re: marten traps - 10/18/11 01:55 AM

Well FT I like this saying for these situations: We as trappers are problem solvers. Keep pluggin away.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: marten traps - 10/20/11 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: travlinnorth
Any more pics of succesfull marten sets? Anything in archives maybe?

Posted By: Kusko

Re: marten traps - 10/20/11 06:24 PM

Dirt, how is the milk jug attached to the tree?

Re: marten traps - 10/21/11 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Kusko
Dirt, how is the milk jug attached to the tree?

The lower lip goes under the clip. The top opening is nailed with a 16d nail. When I pull them if the nail rips through and stays in the tree the next year I just wire the bait up through the hole in the top of the jug and wrap it around the 16d nail.

Too many bears to leave cubbies out as a lot would get destroyed during the summer and sun rots the milk jugs so I pull them. Too many go-fasters after December so I don't leave traps out either. Clips stay year after year though some are still destroyed by bears. The bears are attracted by my call lure ( rotten hoolligan oil and glycerine).

Re: marten traps - 10/21/11 02:50 AM

That is pretty slick. I wonder if the trap would fit inside? You could just cut a spot out for the clip. I think leaving the cap on would make it easy to rebait. My plan is to drill a small hole in the cap for wiring the chunk of bait.

Re: marten traps - 10/21/11 03:23 AM

The trap will fit inside. I used to notch the jug for the spring. Just more work. If the trap hits the milk jug ( the spring does) it just forces the trap down towards the marten. Very weatherproof set. That is the key to catching marten here as we get lots of snow. You want that set working when Mr. marten shows up. Fast to put in and take out. Jugs are lite, but a little bulky, however they do fit into each other up to the handle.

Picked up the milk jug idea from the Hall of Fame trapper across the River. We used to compete for milk jugs at the local dump.

Re: marten traps - 10/21/11 03:57 AM

Dirt I like the idea of clear plastic. Maybe the bait would show up better. Have you any comparison in your area of black nursery to the milk jug?

Re: marten traps - 10/21/11 04:21 AM

I use white, clear, and yellow jugs. Never noticed any difference. I don't see this as a cure to your situation. Marten here refuse at times, but not that often that I consider it a problem. Refusals I just consider seed for next year. I used to have patterns of refusal in rabbit patches, but eventually they show up hungry and work the set. Always tended to be big males that owned the rabbit patches. This area has a low rabbit population and very few lynx. As far as I know it's always been this way for at least the last 100 years.

Re: marten traps - 10/24/11 05:19 AM

Well i picked up 6-1 gallon cans to try and set up with 110 coni's, i tried coffee cans before but had better luck with plywood boxes with 3/4" holes driled around the bait side of the box. for light and scent to go through. i have about 4 dzn 110 coni's to try this year. also picked up 280's for wolverine boxes. My little trap shack been busy lately... opening on the first of nov. but not for snowmachine for awhile.

Re: marten traps - 10/24/11 01:44 PM

If you use 110 for marten you will get some fur damage with single strikes behind the head.They will rub a hole in their hide where the jaw contacts the neck.120 mags will prevent this.
Posted By: MT_B

Re: marten traps - 10/24/11 02:55 PM

Hey Everyone,
Just want to say hello and introduce myself. I have been reading the posts lately as I am just getting started trapping and looking for any info i can find. Going to be targeting pine marten this winter here in SW Montana.
Does anyone have any pointers for a total rookie??

Brent

Re: marten traps - 10/24/11 03:30 PM

Marten Archives is the place to start.

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 01:53 AM

What does everyone like as far as length goes for a marten cubby?? I've gather everything from 8-24 inches on here. just wondering if i should split that and go 16??
Posted By: trapper ron

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 02:49 AM

What works for me is a 10 inch box with 1 x 1 screen on one end.

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Montana_Brent
What does everyone like as far as length goes for a marten cubby?? I've gather everything from 8-24 inches on here. just wondering if i should split that and go 16??

RIGHT ON, With a pan trigger trap set about 4" in front of the bait at back of box.

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 06:04 AM

Hey boco, you ever add a spring to them 110's to make them 120's...thinking bout ordering springs to make them 120's. Montana Brent, i prefer the 10" deep plywood coni-boxes. Except i use a 3/4" drill bit and drill holes around the bait side of the box, faster for me to seal the back and drill holes in it. Stronger also. IMO. BTW we didn't freeze over quite yet. Happy trapping!

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 01:51 PM

yukontrapper, after all the expense and work is done, you would probably be further ahead to just buy 120's and keep the 110's for setting for mink or rats, or as a last resort on marten.

-TJ

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 01:55 PM

Yukon- thats what i was considering over the mesh. I want to try them straight up on the side of the trees to keep snow from burying them. I also want to keep snow out of the box. We are expecting quite a snowpack again this winter here around Bozeman.

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 01:57 PM

Also, i was told by the trapper supply folks here not to use anything less than a 120 for marten. Whats y'alls take on chicken pieces for bait?

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 03:17 PM

I have boxes that are 12"-16", and I doubt it makes much difference. As for the back of the box, I've used wire mesh, and drilled holes of all sizes. What works best for me is to just cut a piece of plywood that is the same width as the box, but 1-1/2" shorter. Say the outside dimensions of your box is 8"X8", (just as an example).
The back of the box piece would then be 8"X6-1/2". center it on the back and this leaves 1/2" or so gap on the top and bottom.
This allows a bit of light, scent dispersal, easy bait attachment if you want to secure it, is strong, and fast to construct.
As for adding springs to 110's, I have done that to a couple doz., and it works fine. Remember to buy safety hooks for at least one side. However, I would recommend just buying 120's in the future.

Re: marten traps - 10/25/11 03:19 PM

Brent-110's are to weak to kill a marten quickly and the resulting struggle will often result in serious fur damage. The marten is a generalist feeding on a wide variety animals, birds and carrion when it is available. For bait I do not believe you can beat BEAVER but if you do not have that then the next best IMO is moose, elk or deer scraps.

Re: marten traps - 10/26/11 07:31 AM

110's work and they are easy to set and deal with when your out freezing your butt off. Don't waste your time and money to make 120's.

Re: marten traps - 10/26/11 10:54 PM

I prefer 110 for my sets. I used to trap around Livingston.
Something I used to always use was tainted suckers, fish of any kind but suckers were very oily. Taint and mix with glycerin as a call bait. Along with beaver, or scraps. My dad always used fish scraps from a market. He liked salt water fish.
Posted By: martenpine

Re: marten traps - 10/26/11 11:02 PM

I have used 110s alot, and never had any pelt damage. I do use 120s also, recently I obtained some Belisle 120s, darn if they do not fit in any of my boxes or even mail box tubes that the victor connis fit. I also now have a new respect for them, as while trying to shove one in a box it went off. after about a 15 minutes of trying to get out and my finger turning purple, I put my tail between my legs and taught my wife how to compress the springs and put the saftey on.

Re: marten traps - 10/27/11 03:02 AM

I used 110's before, they worked out fine. I already spent a bunch for trapping this year so i am jus going to use them as 110's. i have 2.5 buckets of number ones for later on also. For bait a buddy puts up fish for me to use all winter for bait, and what ever beavers i come up with i use for bait. I use sable oil, gusto, marten magnum or what ever i got on had for lure. i wanna make FT's tip ups where ever i can. Like how he hangs that fur up high. I been thinking of a way to use his style set up with a number one victor in a portable cubby to hang them up. Mix up the sets some.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: marten traps - 10/27/11 06:03 AM

One of the best things about the 120s is the ease to secure them to the marten box. If the box is properly sized, pressing the springs up against the outside holds the trap very securely, no need to fart around with nails and such to hold the trap.

Re: marten traps - 10/27/11 08:22 AM

Yukon just let me know if I can help out at all. What are you meaning by a portable cubby. The black spruce cubbies I made worked out quite well for the 110's and my most effective set with my finicky marten. Also made a few with foot traps. A lot more time consuming than a pot but I have some time saving ideas from doing them that I would be happy to pass on to you.

Re: marten traps - 10/27/11 03:10 PM

Morning. FT, portable cubby as in plywood box, plant pot, coffee can etc. What ever happens to be the cubby. Sure anything to save time making sets faster helps. I was thinking about pre-cutting a buncha of poles from town here and one day adding them where i see marten sign, and or at places where i think might be good location. Well the fur shed is almost caught up, i jus have to finish making wolf snares, then get my supply of marten boxes ready. Then go pick up my bait supply.

Re: marten traps - 10/28/11 05:02 PM

Somthing I'm fooling with this year. This is a Belisle 150.

The screw stabilizes the trap and is rock steady.

I also have boxes with a small notch to allow the dog free travel through the bottom of the box. We'll see if it matters.

Re: marten traps - 10/28/11 05:07 PM

It may be obvious AV but if you bend your spring down it helps raise the dog off the bottam of the box when using connipans.

Re: marten traps - 10/28/11 05:21 PM

I do that with double springs, but with the single, it seems kind of tippy. I think that the notch will be the way to go with this particular trap.
The thing I like about this trap is the obviously larger opening, and they are extremely powerful. Always looking for improved dispatch.
Several years ago I tried the Barker coni-pans and was NOT impressed. However, I am willing to try the hardwood pans.
Posted By: spjones

Re: marten traps - 10/28/11 05:44 PM

could be just me, but boxes i made out of plywood and osb 4-5 years ago are almost useless now because some critter eats them up. i'm guessing the glue attracts them? maybe mice,porcupines, maybe squirrels. i'm not sure who's doing it, at first i thought it made them look better. now i'm haveing to replace them with lumber i've milled myself. had i known this, i wouldn't of used plywood. anyone else have this problem?

Re: marten traps - 10/28/11 05:51 PM

Yes, its the glue the mice, porkcupines and SQUIRRELS like. As scrap plywood from the dump is cheap I just consider box repairs a normal off season maintenance job. Boxes made from non plywood material get damaged/destroyed by bears also.

Re: marten traps - 10/28/11 06:07 PM

yeah that's what i figured, i'll just keep on building more, but nothing with glue in it. i have some plastic boxes out but prefer to use wood. it may not make difference, but then again it might. if i was a marten i would prefer wood over plastic eh?

Re: marten traps - 10/28/11 07:20 PM

AV - Pans are great for conibear trapping marten. I have used them for years but with an almost square pan. The one in your picture appears to have very little depth and unless set very close to the bait I suspect some marten may jump over rather than step on it. On an earlier post I recall someone having this problem. I set my pan, which has a depth nearly the same as the width. about 4" in front of the bait and the marten fires the trap standing on the pan while working the bait and results in a suitcase catch virtually every time.

Re: marten traps - 10/28/11 11:26 PM

Thats the catch to strive for.Double strike to neck and chest results in the quickest most humane dispatch for marten.
Posted By: reggiejr

Re: marten traps - 10/29/11 12:08 AM

bctomcat x2 on that pan positioning that is the best way too go.Agreed, with the pan on the inside jaw bent that far down will let the marten get way to far in before firing the trap and youll definatly get a high percent of hip catches.AV other than that pan position that setup looks deadly.

Re: marten traps - 10/29/11 11:43 PM

Here are some more pans that work well. Like BC tomcat I am a big fan of pan traps for mink, ermine, and marten.

#1 Corrugated Plastic spray painted. The trigger goes into the corrugation holes. This is the easiest to make.

#2 Wood with trigger wires bent and stapled:

#3 1\4" screen mesh. Trigger woven into the screen.

#4 old style rivit trigger replaced with tin and wood pop riveted on. This is what I used mostly prior to getting all the new style LDL traps

Posted By: Brian Donaghy

Re: marten traps - 10/30/11 01:37 PM

I have never had a problem using pan trigger here in maine. I use barkers coni pans and swear by them. In the last 5 years or so I have only missed ONE marten with these triggers! I put them on the outside jaw with them tilted up at about a 30° angle, I don't lay them flat and 99 times out of 100 there suitcased in my viictor 120's. I use the newspaper tubes mostly but have also used the flower pots too and had success with them. I like the depth of the tubes better and they tend to work through the snow better than the pots. We all get refusals from time to time, ots generally the females in our area that will not climb and I consider that a good thing! Although if I was getting the refusals thay familytrapper was getting I too would go crazy! I use only beaver, a fresh not tainted fist sized piece in the back of the box, skunk/vaseline in the tree above the set, and a smear of newt sterlings sexy sable lure on the bait, and that's it! That sexy sable lure has made a BIG difference the last few years! Its good stuff and id be curious how you guys in alaska do with it! We have to trap on poles not larger than 4" in diameter, greater than 45° in pitch, and trap must be placed higher than 4ft above ground or snow and some critters will just plain refuse a set like that, but one thing that I've gotten back to in the last cpl years that's made a HUGE difference in the number of refusals I get is toning down my sets and getting back to basics! I used to squirt fish oil on the pole and around and get carried away with lures. I think its just too much, and just one more thing for them to refuse. I've gone back to the less is more approch, a good bait (beaver) a good lure(sexy sable) and a good call(skunk) and most important a good location and that's it. I also agrre with you guys and don't think its a bad idea to throw a few random sets here and there to mix it up, but the less is more approach works best for me with least amount of refusals
Brian
Posted By: wilsonjr

Re: marten traps - 10/30/11 07:37 PM

Ak Viking - keep an eye on the trap to make sure the wooden pan doesn't have a chance of getting wedged between the jaws when it goes off. Hard to tell from the pictures but with a little down pressure it looks like it'll be close.

Re: marten traps - 10/30/11 10:14 PM

Do you guys use the pans on vertical sets or horizontal? Just curious if it make a difference. I am almost 100% 120 conibears now, but don't do pans.

Re: marten traps - 10/30/11 10:52 PM

[quote=Trapalaska]Do you guys use the pans on vertical sets or horizontal?

I usually use boxes on leaning trees or windthrow but will occassionally set more or less horizontal. I have never tried vertical as my system has worked very well for me.

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 04:55 AM

Well trapping finally opened here, but can't go anywhere yet because it hasn't frozen over enough for the snowmachines. Was thinking about jus making a verticle pole set with the conibear romex stapled on the upper jaw against the pole and the bait wired above the coni. Then covering the bait with spruce boughs. I think i'll try this set alot more this winter especially in thick spruce cover. It'll help with snow covering the set too much. I saw that set in a older marten post. I'd say around 4-5 foot high. Or with a coni-clip to hold it and then have the trap chain wired to a higher limb or onto a tip up... so it'll hang away from the baited pole...Whats your view and has anyone tried it?

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 05:01 AM

I've tried that set. I think White or someone said our spruce don't have the needle density to make this quick and efficient. I think you would be better off finding scrap plywood, milk jugs, flower pots or ordering up some mailboxes.

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 05:50 AM

Yea, i was jus trying to find a way of getting away from the boxes and cubbies. Thus making my bravo load lighter. I wanna travel lighter cause i roundtrip twice a week with the bravo. I usually have in the sled = One wolf box with traps and snares, one marten box, bait box, and i carry a few lynx traps, plus all the assorted gear and tools. Gets a little crazy in my sled. I can only put three totes, dispatch pole, small shovel, axe, emergency gear, lined duffel for catch, small tool box, come-along, 100ft rope,3-330mags, ice pick and snow shoes. I used to try stash a tote of gear on each end of the places i trap but quite a few trail riders around sometimes. Jus don't wanna lose gear. I was thinking of using 12" stove pipe sections and making more permanent sets with bait in the middle and a coni on each side, but that can get spendy...hmmm

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 05:56 AM

might think about a #1 ls on a piece of 2x4 nailed to tree?Trap wired off over head to a limb or to 2x4.....been thinking about that set for marten

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 06:08 AM

well if i was to use a number one it'll be the good ole leaning pole set, or a tip-up on the base of a tree. Thing is one snow fall your re-setting everything, so i am leaning to more a verticle set...i think i have no way around it but i might jus have to stay with some sort of cubby.

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 06:15 AM

I was thinking if 2x4 was under a thick spruce it would help keep snow off of it.But flower pots are light and stack pretty good even with the bait already wired inside of them.The one thing I found about the coni clips is that the some spruce bark is thicker than some like on the really big trees and I had to make a flat spot on tree to get 120 into it.

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 07:06 AM

Be careful of snowload. might fence staple the limbs into a v. to form a cubby.

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 01:41 PM

[quote=bdonaghy] and a smear of newt sterlings sexy sable lure on the bait, and that's it! That sexy sable lure has made a BIG difference the last few years!

Where would a guy find this stuff?? Also, any input from anyone if this would work here in Montana??

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 03:00 PM

Years ago I tried the spruce boughs as a cover. Marten, as well as weasels simply went through the side of them. Didn't catch a single thing. I think I saw it on an old video.
Switched to flower pots and have used them since. Light, can stack a bunch with minumal room, cheap,(free for me), and pretty much weather-proof.

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: alaska viking
Years ago I tried the spruce boughs as a cover. Marten, as well as weasels simply went through the side of them.

X2

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 03:36 PM

I have access to flower pots. I can jus bring along 3-5 everytime i go out in the field incase i find more places. But i usually have more permanet sets out there. Well i'll test try some sets once i get started.

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 04:29 PM

Yukontrapper.Have you thought about a set like these.I cut scrap plywood squares and cut an exagerated keyhole shape in them.With the chainsaw cut a square in a tree,not all the way through.A little pop with the ax and youve formed a reccess to put in bait.Use 2 three inch nails to hang on tree,these nails can be left protruding to hold the connibear.Usually stick a conifer bough in front of the bait to hide it

This picture doesnt have the cut above the set but
Another horizontal cut can be made with the saw and a shingle, split of wood,tin flashing,stiff plastic inserted.To hold off snow load,not needed here as the tree provides the cover
These plywood plates can be stacked and many carried.I have some that have been catching marten for over 30 years.
only drawback is you need big trees,
Dan'l

Re: marten traps - 11/02/11 06:44 PM

here's my take on boles set, really don't need the plate. but i'm sure it doesn't hurt.

[img:center][/img]

i do the same with 330's

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 04:32 AM

Boles/braggadoe, that is a pretty neat set, but i lack the tree size. I have some good size ones out there, but usually in the pecker poles to 12-15" at the biggest ones. I'll prolly kill them if i tried. Great idea though. Otherwise on the good note the Yukon finally stopped running ice now wait for it to freeze over good then i am in buisness again! Been snowing great here, jus need to get better freezing temps. While we wait the fur gets more prime, usually towards Dec. Marten and Lynx are pretty good. So the wait is also better for that reason and i am not killing my machine trying to get out. Happy Trappin

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:34 AM

Hello FT, How are your Trap pans coming along? How many outta your long line are you going to set with new Coni set up? Well i got 6in PVC tubes drilled and set up as bait protectors, we get alot camp robbers and them voles eating up the bait. I am gonna try use them on the leaning poles sets i have out from last year. See if that helps or hinders since the bait won't be entirely visible, may try hanging a foot or so above and about a foot forward from my trap. See how that go's.
Posted By: ak_flyfisher

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Dirt
Originally Posted By: alaska viking
Years ago I tried the spruce boughs as a cover. Marten, as well as weasels simply went through the side of them.

X2

Been planning on trying this out...maybe not - thanks for the info.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 08:22 AM

Quote:
Hello FT, How are your Trap pans coming along?

Yukon you talking to me? No trap pans in my future.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 11:54 AM

hey guys, i have a bait question?

i have to heli into my line and weight is allways a problem. i would use only beaver but i just can't carry enough in. so i use a alot of bird carcasses, and raspberry jam. i'll get some beaver once i get out there and use marten meat once i get rolling. i've tried that pellet crab/prawn bait but it didn't seem to work unless i mixed it with jam, it smelled good to me, but wasn't the answer. is there anything else that works great and is light/doesn't take up much space?

thanks!
heading out nov. 11
bored to death right now! really enjoying this site

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 01:36 PM

Mouse traps around the cabin and voles maybe?

-TJ

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: yukontrapper
Hello FT, How are your Trap pans coming along? How many outta your long line are you going to set with new Coni set up? Well i got 6in PVC tubes drilled and set up as bait protectors, we get alot camp robbers and them voles eating up the bait. I am gonna try use them on the leaning poles sets i have out from last year. See if that helps or hinders since the bait won't be entirely visible, may try hanging a foot or so above and about a foot forward from my trap. See how that go's.

Good morning. My mistake, i wasn't paying attention and was refering to the actual first post in this thread. akntpr. Jus got mixed up trying to remember who started the thread. Guess i should checked.
Braggadoe, Do you have access to yukon fish over in alberta. The local blacksmith and a musher put up fall split fish and dry fish as dog feed and they usually make a pretty decent bait pile for me. And it is light and fast to work with. Unsure if Alberta is along the yukon in Canada, but thought i'd ask ya.
Posted By: white17

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: braggadoe

i have to heli into my line and weight is allways a problem. i would use only beaver but i just can't carry enough in. so i use a alot of bird carcasses, and raspberry jam. i'll get some beaver once i get out there and use marten meat once i get rolling. i've tried that pellet crab/prawn bait but it didn't seem to work unless i mixed it with jam, it smelled good to me, but wasn't the answer. is there anything else that works great and is light/doesn't take up much space?

thanks!
heading out nov. 11

I'm assuming you are talking about marten bait here. I just use feathers hung above and beyond the trap. I'm using footholds so that won't apply to you but usually I use grouse. I figure I can get 10 marten per bird because the marten doesn't always get the feathers. I'd buy something more concentrated than jam for scent. Something like Paul's Skunky Backbreaker, Gusto, Magnum Marten. Way more stink per unit of weight. I fly all my stuff in also so I understand your problem.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 03:37 PM

thanks!
heading out nov. 11

I know you mentioned bird carcasses so this may not be useful. This is what I use.

These are pieces of spruce grouse pre-wired ( excluding the breast meat ). Around 15 per bag and it looks like around .65 Kg per bag. If not too many thaws I can continue to use all season and move them around the line as a I pull sections and set up new sections of the line.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 04:06 PM

testing testing 123 123

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 04:08 PM

Mr. White17 there seems to be a glitch in the 100 post area?

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:08 PM

456 456

Looks OK to me

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:18 PM

When I submitted that bait post above it said it was there, but when I clicked on the " marten traps" thread nothing was displayed just your post in front of it. I went to my posts and it was listed and I clicked on it and nothing was displayed except your previous post. When I did the testing post it came up. It was listed as reply 99.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:27 PM

I have pretty much done what Dirt is showing. I can get about a doz baits out of a grouse. Slightly tainted is good. Dirt I thought maybe you had on a heating pad there. ;0)
So I scored last night. A local duck hunter I encouraged to give me a call when he had carcasses called me last night. The wind was blowing and the birds were flying off the ocean to their hunting area. I got about 70 breasted mallards. Replenish my Wings!!
So I have not used ducks before. What are trappers experience using Duck carcasses for Lynx and Marten.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:31 PM

FT, In my experience they are better than grouse

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:45 PM

Curious to try some. I would imagine with the oil they would would smell better in the winter. Martenpine have you tainted them for bait or use fresh?

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:49 PM

yes, I have tainted them first but I think you are correct about the oil smelling better in winter even if not tainted. I also have taken the fat drippings off when I roast them and used it as a base for lure with castor and skunk.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:52 PM

When I submitted that bait post above it said it was there, but when I clicked on the " marten traps" thread nothing was displayed just your post in front of it. I went to my posts and it was listed and I clicked on it and nothing was displayed except your previous post. When I did the testing post it came up. It was listed as reply 99.

Every once in a while something like that happens. A few times I have been taken to a page 2 on a thread only to find there is nothing there. It doesn't last long and may be part of the software that accommodates different member settings on how the page is displayed. Just a guess.

It could also be that someone else posted at the same time as you and then deleted that post, thus changing the counter.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
I have pretty much done what Dirt is showing. I can get about a doz baits out of a grouse. Slightly tainted is good. Dirt I thought maybe you had on a heating pad there. ;0)
So I scored last night. A local duck hunter I encouraged to give me a call when he had carcasses called me last night. The wind was blowing and the birds were flying off the ocean to their hunting area. I got about 70 breasted mallards. Replenish my Wings!!
So I have not used ducks before. What are trappers experience using Duck carcasses for Lynx and Marten.

I have to ask how you get a doz. baits out of one grouse? Maybe am using to big a chunk cause I get about 6 tops,do you guys just take feathers and tie together?

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 06:09 PM

Wings 4 baits, (4) two lower legs, (6) 2 thighs, (8) back, (9) neck, (10) head with some neck. (11) Tail (12)
They are small but as long as you have some meat it will taint and smell. If your marten are cooperative it works great. It is what I had my 50 in one check on a few years ago.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: martenpine
FT, In my experience they are better than grouse

I agree. The fat on the ducks seems to not freeze solid during the winter and is always putting off an odor. I like to taint, but don't think it matters. Duck is my go to bait for marten and cats.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 06:20 PM

Ya I use a bigger chunk,2 wings 2 legs,back,head /neck,and tail
Thanks FT

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 06:41 PM

Curious to give them a try. We have a lot of cats in the Homer area now. Going to help my son get a line going here this year.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 06:41 PM

that's good to know, that your getting results with such small bait. it means i can stretch my birds out farther then i've have in the past.

W17, i should pick up some of pauls lure just too support this site, but i make my own. heating up lard/crisco and then adding skunk. is there anything better?

going to wax my boards this season as i've learned from you guys, thanks for all the great info!!

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 06:49 PM

I think if you have marten that are at all cooperative you would be surprised at what you can get away with. I have experienced it on my line when they have the urge to bite.
When you start thinking of more sets less time and smaller snowmobile you really have to look at where to cut.
I think my combination would be deadly in a different area from my experience. But as most of you know I have a different subspecies of marten in my area. Martes martesfinicany. ;0)

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 07:15 PM

that's good to know, that your getting results with such small bait. it means i can stretch my birds out farther then i've have in the past.

W17, i should pick up some of pauls lure just too support this site, but i make my own. heating up lard/crisco and then adding skunk. is there anything better?

going to wax my boards this season as i've learned from you guys, thanks for all the great info!!

I think anything that helps get their attention is good. They are not too sophisticated or choosy....normally. That Crisco must get pretty hard. Might want to add some glycerine.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 07:19 PM

FT, what's your preferred lure for those "rocket surgeon" marten in your area? pm me if it's top secret.....we live alongways apart eh!

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 07:58 PM

How do I say this. I was given a good tip and asked not to share. So I will honor this. What I can say is it is basically a carrier for skunk. Like the Vaseline guys are using. However it squeezes out.
A thick gel that stays liquid at low temps, no particles to plug the opening, flavored and cheap in comparison to scent.
I think a guy could use a mixture of glycerin and ? to thin and get similiar results.

Best part is to use in this bottle.
16 oz squeeze.
http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=507_141&products_id=1074

4 oz is good for experimentation scents. It is small. But runs out fast.
http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=507_141&products_id=1073
NO mess.
Use a limb to open the top. Squeeze out lots and shut. No touch, no mess, a lot of stink for a small price compared to gusto etc.
It has been awesome at bringing marten to my sets. Getting them to commit is my problem.
This has been an absolute saver in ease of use and cost.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 08:11 PM

Has anyone ever tried using rendered bear fat as a base? Would think one bear would go a long ways for lure that way.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 09:02 PM

testing 123 testing 123

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 09:03 PM

reply 119 this time

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 09:17 PM

Maybe it is just me, but I have tried brown bear fat, and it didn't seem to work all that well as a marten lure, actually I didn't catch any marten on it. Never tried black bear though.
Originally Posted By: Castor Gitter
Has anyone ever tried using rendered bear fat as a base? Would think one bear would go a long ways for lure that way.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 10:01 PM

MP did you just use the fat not rendered with nothing in it? Or did you render and add skunk
Posted By: Pittu

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 10:15 PM

I used tainted brown bear fat and meat/bones last year. I wasnt impressed compared to grouse or beaver. Granted I didnt have alot of marten on my line last year, but I did have refusals where I rarely do with grouse.

Re: marten traps - 11/04/11 10:25 PM

just the fat.
Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
MP did you just use the fat not rendered with nothing in it? Or did you render and add skunk

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 02:29 AM

Could it be that the bear being a predator itself might not give off the smell a marten would like as much or make it shy away?
Posted By: countrysmith

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 06:24 AM

i used tainted black bear meat two years ago.. not happy at all..
so then i used bear meat that was not tainted.. still no luck
after i took some ducks i had in the freezer and put then in ziplock bags then left them on the warm shop floor for a day and a half.. cut up on site when i was setting traps.. that seemed to work much better for marten and ermine.. if i remember right even got a fisher on that duck meat..

so now i still have six 5 gal pails full of cut up bear meat that i have no good use for and its just taking up freezer space now

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 06:24 AM

I would subscribe to that theory having some merit. That is also why I think rendering might be a good idea. I wouldn't eat bear fat but the lard from it makes a great pie crust.

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 06:27 AM

County smith. I would take those buckets out of the freezer. Cover with water in a warm spot and let them rot til nasty. Freeze and then put out as a smelly bait station for fox, coyotes or wolves. The guy on the almighty video had great luck with stinky bear meat on wolves.

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 06:35 AM

Tainted breasted out duck is a great marten bait. I have caught a lot of marten with it. Wish I had more.

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 03:20 PM

How about tainted guts? Has anyone ever tried that? If you were able to collect and then use that is? Would think that they would have alot more calling power to them/more smell. Too much work than what it's worth? Just curious. Would think depending on the kill location and circumstances (weather, distance from home/truck, etc..) it could be good, or just alot of hassle maybe..

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 03:37 PM

Guts are pretty hard to keep together unless you freeze them into a wad right away. Also sort of a hassle to use at a set unles you're using a cubby on the ground. If you get a thaw they are going to be a problem. I might try it in a snow hole for fox if I had nothing better.

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 04:19 PM

When I wasn't so worried about space I always used a smell bait in addition to my reg bait. Which was usually beaver. No lure.
Standard was fish meat. Ground no skin unless it was ground. This was tainted and then mixed with glycerin maybe some beaver castor. Very fragrant in cold temps. I imagine you could do the same with guts. Oily fish was better. Guts would need extra oil or glycerin to keep it from freezing. Very pasty. But one more hassle
I have done away with that as a good lure in a squeeze bottle and bait
Posted By: snostorm@home

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: countrysmith
i used tainted black bear meat two years ago.. not happy at all..
so then i used bear meat that was not tainted.. still no luck
after i took some ducks i had in the freezer and put then in ziplock bags then left them on the warm shop floor for a day and a half.. cut up on site when i was setting traps.. that seemed to work much better for marten and ermine.. if i remember right even got a fisher on that duck meat..

so now i still have six 5 gal pails full of cut up bear meat that i have no good use for and its just taking up freezer space now

no I think you caught that fisher off of my dads fish scraps
Posted By: SDAhunt

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 06:13 PM

Hope this hasn't been touched on yet, but if the high temps are getting in the mid to high 40's how long do you thing a marten can hang without getting green? Thanks

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 08:02 PM

It depends on how full their bellies are and if it's raining and they get wet they will last longer. I worry more when it is warm and dry than when it is warm and wet. I get worried if it has been longer than three days. This is when temps are in the mid to high thirties.

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 08:24 PM

Yeah I've had them hang ten days or so in the high 30's low 40's with no problems. I think foothold traps on poles are better than a conibear type or a ground set. If the critter is suspended, his belly is more exposed to the air than if he curls up in a cubby or instantly expires in a body grip and lays there belly down.

Most marten will have an empty or nearly empty gut because they metabolize fats and protiens so rapidly. I've never had one slip or be a problem.

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 09:58 PM

I use conibears. On the south side of the Alaska Range we tend to have more Chinooks ( warm spells ), and I have had them taint. But only if they have a full belly.

Re: marten traps - 11/05/11 11:54 PM

Ok, checking tuesday, thinking I'll be okay to go back sat since it's going to be low 40's and rain/snow, thanks

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 12:25 AM

eins, swei, drei

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 06:17 AM

I am planning this on another thread and thought i'd get the marten trappers opinion on it. I am using a Contact eye dropper container with wolf urine to spray my p-posts sets and i thought if i mixed up Anise oil and Pro-glycol in a Dropper i can spray above my sets and move on to the next set. fast easy and can work in cold weather. Has anyone used a Contact Eye dropper for lure? I put water in and it can really spay out depending on pressure you apply. Plus i keep them under my snowmachine hood so they hold up in the cold better. If i get a better mix for cold weather i can jus keep it within reach grab/spray, move on...
Posted By: decoy

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 12:39 PM

Using Anise oil for Marten? No skunk? More info please for this south of the border guy.

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 02:52 PM

SSSHHHH!!!!....lol I just made up a lure using anise and didn't put any skunk or gusto on my sets I'll let you know how it works tuesday! I might be tempted to put on some skunk on some sets anyway, see which they like better

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 02:54 PM

eins, swei, drei

If I offended you I'm sorry, but there's no reason to cuss at me! wink

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 03:27 PM

I put most of my lures in squirt bottles. Usually old mustard jugs or the 4 ounce saline bottles from contact lens solution. Works fine. If you can keep the urine warm there's no reason to cut it with glycol. They'll smell it just fine.

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: decoy
Using Anise oil for Marten? No skunk? More info please for this south of the border guy.

Anise oil is a component of many lures and is itself attractive to many animals. Many marten trappers in BC use a lure produced by a BC trapper in which the main ingredients are raspberry jam and anise. I quite often also use successfully a mix of beaver castor and anise for both marten and fisher.

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 03:33 PM

Anis and castor Is a top notch bear attractant in this area.

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 06:26 PM

My late gramps used to make up some, anise mix. I used it for bears and had great results. White, i think i wanna cut it because most of the time i have a hard time keeping it in liquid form. I have personally never mixed up stuff but i am wanting to give it a try. See how it works out i guess. I also have some castor saved and put away so might mix some up for cats and my wolverine sets.

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 07:08 PM

Speaking of baits and fats,does anybody save there beaver fleshing's to use,was gonna take some and make little meat balls for coni boxes or grind it up and use.

Re: marten traps - 11/06/11 07:18 PM

Btw i added some commercial urine to a few of the trash bags of moosehide/moose guts that are rolled up and been cooking in trash bags since sept. Thought i'd better give that a try. (Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual).

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 04:09 PM

Anyone here have any input on Hawbaker's Lures???

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 04:20 PM

Sure, here's my input: " They cost Money."

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 04:27 PM

Never really had much luck with them. Dobbins, Cavens, and Lennons on the other hand have been great when used as intended.
Posted By: otterman

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 05:11 PM

I really like Hawbakers #1 mink lure for mink and other things but the marten lure never did much for me

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 05:17 PM

I had very good luck with #800 back when I was targeting foxes.

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 09:54 PM

I have tried the hawbakers marten lure but it seems to be more of a food lure and really isn't very loud, maybe if setting right on sign, but I prefer a LDC when targeting marten.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 10:31 PM

I tried Hawbakers marten lure last year, it didn't hold up well in the cold, I couldn't smell it.

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 10:33 PM

I don't think there is any commercial marten lure worth buying. I have learned that skunk is a base and it is something I don't want to have caps to unscrew and waste time. Lure is made and is in squirt bottles like White said. Stop machine, grab squirt bottle, flip top on pole, squirt, make sure flip top is down and zoom away. Very little wasted time. If it can't squirt out of a bottle, it isn't going to be used by me for marten.
Posted By: Birchcreekkid

Re: marten traps - 11/07/11 10:47 PM

commercial marten lure is way to expensive and it's so easy to make, the only ingredient I buy is pure skunk quill and 1 oz. will make alot of lure, all other ingredients are free. I know some longliners who swear by cheap perfume which they get for free. over the summer they collect bottles of cheap perfume and dump them in one spray bottle and thats all they use, never tried it but they swear by it............

Re: marten traps - 11/08/11 02:55 AM

Amen Northway and white17. I am sold with the squirt bottles. Any pointers on a good mixture for the Cold Weather- Yellow squeeze Bottle Marten Magic?

Re: marten traps - 11/08/11 04:45 AM

Tell me how ya make it? And with what.

Re: marten traps - 11/08/11 04:55 AM

I found anise to be a superior moose Call. Wow. The moose came to sets like crazy. In places I didn't know had a moose around. There they would be stomping around my sets. Had to be the anise.
Skunk=Marten

Re: marten traps - 11/08/11 04:24 PM

Sure, here's my input: " They cost Money."

I'll expand:

In the wrapper is supposedly a 1 ounce bottle of "Gusto" that Tim Caven gave me to try at least a decade ago when I stopped by his barn in Pennock to buy some wolf traps. Free to me, but $5 per ounce normally. In the two sixteen ounce bottles is rotted down hooligan juice mixed with about 3 ounces of glycerine. Comes to about $1.50 per bottle. I use the Stink'um ( as I call this stuff ) primarily as a marten call lure. Though I have used it to catch fox and coyote and to attract bears to bait stations. This is salmon country and scavengers will dig fish carcasses out of the snow all winter long. Fish smell like rotten fish. Nough said.

I bought fox urine once back in the eighties. I bring a plastic baggie with me on the trapline and scoop up canine urine when I see it along the trail in the snow and put it in the baggie. When I get home I melt it in a plastic container and then pour it in a bottle.

I have never made a castor mound set for beaver. Last week I trapped beaver for 4 checks. I had a 60% catch ratio per trap out. I can live with that.

All those commercial potions most likely work, but a little overpriced for this poor trapper.

Re: marten traps - 11/08/11 04:39 PM

I typically go through two 4 oz. bottles of Gusto a season. Granted, I'm only running about 3 dozen marten sets at any given time, and I re-lure every pass, but at $80,00-$100.00 a pelt, I find the $32.00 money well spent.
Of course I also use it at wolverine sets.
While I have no doubt a decent skunky home-made lure can easily be made, I'm pretty comfortable an confident with Gusto.

Re: marten traps - 11/08/11 07:55 PM

I used to use gusto, but after having to spend the time taking off the cap, dropping it in the snow, and getting gloves covered with skunk, decided that it wouldn't work anymore. There is nothing in there besides the skunk that is going to make a difference. I bet if you render some fish oil, etc. and add skunk to it and put it in a squirt bottle, you will see the same results, with less stink on your gloves, quicker times are sets, etc. JMO.
Posted By: nwt trapper

Re: marten traps - 11/09/11 04:03 AM

havent seen a marten thread archive ever so i thought i would make one. any one have some new techniques they are trying or just pics of last years catches and sets i have some pics.

the first is my very fist

and these are in new brunswick

y first marten and the others are my friends. in new brunswick on a marten population.

Re: marten traps - 11/09/11 04:06 AM

more pics from new brunswickwe put spruce to keep the birds out from the bait
marten in box

Re: marten traps - 11/09/11 04:08 AM

img:gal:178644eb4b344881fe]http://www.trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2011/11/full-17864-50212-habitat_funnel_1.jpg[/img]here are some habitat funnels.

Re: marten traps - 11/09/11 04:12 AM

colured the spots were marten would rather go.`ll try to explain a habitat funnel and see if I can find a few aerial pictures on the internet to attach that will show it. As an example, in the Maritimes when they cut the forest there`s regulations in place prohibiting them from cutting within 150 meters of waterways and they`re only allowed to clear a certain sized area. This means you get a square of forest that`s been cut between 2 areas that haven`t been cut, and if the cut part runs parallel with a river or stream there`s still a strip of forest along the edge of the river. Marten avoid open areas as much as they can, so if there`s a marten in one of the uncut areas moving towards the other uncut area, he`ll almost always stay along the river in the woods rather than going out into the open. This strip of woods along the river would be a habitat funnel and it`s your best bet for placing a trap since any marten moving through will have to come fairly close to the bait when they pass through. Martens` favourite habitat is old growth, softwood forest with quite a bit of fallen and standing deadwood, so to get a funnel it doesn’t have to be near a cut – the same idea would apply if there was hardwood forest, younger softwood, a burn, fields, lakes or whatever – any habitat type with a strip of old softwood going through would work.

The three pictures I attached can give you a pretty good idea – I`ve put red stars on the pictures where it might be a good spot for traps (assuming it was old softwood forest).

Note that this info text was my friend in nb not me talking th rest was me talking though

Re: marten traps - 11/09/11 05:50 AM

Others mileages may vary
Marten here do and will cross large areas.Seen them many times in the Alpine and subalpine hunting red squirrels and rabbits,that also live up top along with many whitetail ptarmigan we have in this country.Usually the larger mature males.Guess they count on dodging predators by ducking under the many many feet of snow we get in that country.
For me (and remember my opening sentence) I shy away from sweet smelling lures -anise or jam.They atract to many squirrels when I gave this stuff a try years ago.
What i do, like the rest of us is usually make my own.
I save any large lumps of marten fat from those that are lucky enough to live large,I also save all the anal scent glands,male and female mixed (tried separating them years ago to make male and female lure no difference in working)spin it all in my very own yard sale blender with just enough mineral oil to get it to spin then stir it all together with warmed brand x petroleum jelly.For a mix up I will do the same with beaver oil sac and castor gland and use it some years with good results.Works very well for me.Some will tell you the six gland thing will only work at certain times of the year,not in my experience.
been at the trapping since 77 like to think that maybe Im getting some experience.
Thanks
Dan'l

Re: marten traps - 11/11/11 05:13 AM

Do any you guys use cage traps like my friend

Re: marten traps - 11/11/11 06:38 AM

Can't see an advantage there.

Re: marten traps - 11/11/11 06:57 AM

Ive used cage traps.Reason I did was on account I was at the local landfill-new age term for the dump !! - and there was 4 cage traps free for the taking.Set them on a slide wire on every bridge that at the time was on a logging road on my tenure area.Then set them at the camps so that my children could see the captured marten.Now I sometimes set them and give the females a free pass.Interesting to use and interesting to see those marten.
Dan'l

Re: marten traps - 11/11/11 07:00 AM

nwt what is the pic of the tree with a sliver and a stick under it?

Re: marten traps - 11/11/11 03:37 PM

Oh that is were she put lure about 4 feet away just chopped upwards with a hatchet and put the lure stick in.

Re: marten traps - 11/22/11 03:50 AM

There is piles of coffee cans at the airport, anyone use them for marten sets? I think i'll make a few #1 sets and or coni set with them. Plus they stand out like a sore thumb out there lol. Make marten sets along my trail and i'll have trail markers also. Any pics of coffee cans in trees?

Re: marten traps - 11/22/11 04:50 AM

Juan Julio makes those.

Re: marten traps - 11/22/11 09:21 AM

They will work. But don't nest

Re: marten traps - 11/22/11 01:55 PM

Re: marten traps - 11/22/11 05:17 PM

White do you prefer the trigger to be more toward the bait like in the above picture?

Re: marten traps - 11/22/11 05:40 PM

It depends on the can Kusko. I like the trigger protected from possible moisture but if it might conflict with the can I'll turn it the other way. Some cans are a bit smaller or larger in diameter

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 01:45 AM

I prefer the larger cans. I might be there awhile, depending on dinner.
Posted By: FishinHank

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 02:12 AM

I use the flowerpots and I put my trigger to the inside. It puts the trigger up inside the flowerpot and protects it from the weather.

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 05:43 AM

Thanks White17, great pics and good choice of Black morning Juice :-) Guess i'd better head out to the trap shack and cut out some coni holders. Oh yea, i know the cook at the school i'd bet they would hook me up with all the big cans a guy can need!

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 03:16 PM

Hey all, going to try to post some pics of my coni-boxes I just built.

[img:left][/img]

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 03:18 PM

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 03:23 PM

That better NOT be your shop Brent.

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 03:31 PM

Haha. That is NOT my shop at all. Its the father-in-law's. Im still in college, no way I could afford his shop. I have 6x20 shed that I will working out of. still not sure how im going to find room for all my stuff I store in it and hang pelts for drying.

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 09:13 PM

Brent I used to trap marten out of Livingston. Would love to have those hungry marten up here. I had great luck with leaning poles set there.
A lot less to carry.
I used to use all leg hold until I came to Alaska. Give this set a try.
4 finish nails at an angle. Squeeze the conibear around them to hold. I wire on a dead branch to dissuade them from jumping over.
I was experimenting with a second snare as a backup for a second marten on extended checks. But soon when to low plant pots for my non climbing marten so had limited time perfecting it.

Something I did notice where I had no spruce to get under was the snare weathered a lot better than the coni.
This was the way I found it. The wind had blown the snow off rather than have it stack up.
Posted By: ducky

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 11:14 PM

is that a 110 with a snare behind it ?

Re: marten traps - 11/23/11 11:48 PM

Could be a snare with a 110 in front of it...

Re: marten traps - 11/24/11 06:07 AM

Invisable man

Re: marten traps - 11/24/11 07:11 PM

Well i thought i'd run this by ya guys. Keeps the trap covered, can be set horizontal or verticle. Bait tucked inside, set the coni on a holder and you are off. Took jus a few to cut the leadin edge out and i didn't have to rip boards and staple them. Then again it tasted good and was free in the end. Can't say that about plant pots and plywood :-) jus joking. Bait/trap/wire fits inside, can carry a few of them pretty easy. And they stick out like a sore thumb...

Re: marten traps - 11/24/11 07:18 PM

I've used them just like that. Drawback: They don't stack.

Re: marten traps - 11/24/11 08:48 PM

Duck it is a snare and conibear combo.
Posted By: Aknative

Re: marten traps - 11/28/11 10:11 PM

Made myself some brackets with tin from the transfer site and tin snips. I think Kusko posted a pic of one he made that's very similar. If I had a break and a band saw I'd break long lengths of the stuff into the right bends, and then cut them out from the bent shape, but had to do it one at a time with pliers and tin snips.
Cut the piece out about 1.5 or inches wide, 3 or 4 inches long.

Grasp the piece with the lineman's pliers, and bend it with your GLOVED hand (be ware of sharp edges.)

May need to be tweaked a little to get best fit that hold the jaws, but also allows them to clear when the trap is set off.

Use whatever nail you want to secure the cubby and bracket. Right now I'm using roofing nails, but I think I'll switch to duplex nails so that they'd be easier to pull back out. To attatch my milk jugs (or whatever I happen to be using!) I use my knife to gouge a big enough hole for the head of the nail to go through and then a slit upwards of that to slide the shaft of the nail up with the head holding the jug against the tree. I think Dirt had a pic posted of this as well. If you wanted you could make them bigger for bigger conis, unsure if they'd be be stiff enough...I just don't know. Ya'll be safe out there, hope this helps somebody!

Re: marten traps - 11/29/11 06:58 AM

Hello Ak, i like your clips you made up. I noticed on White 17 picture up top he used a stick so i ripped a one by six into one inch strips and then cut them into 6" pieces and drilled a nail in the center. Will stay better if you use two holes in the wood strip. The coni then clamps onto it. Verticle or horizontal it works. I have yet to use this set up. I made a few so far but want to make atleast two dozen of them. Then see how they work. Luck to ya on the marten line.

Posted By: akcowboytraper

Re: marten traps - 11/30/11 01:56 AM

i make my coni holder out of 2x4 cut it in 3 sections lenth wise and make to notches in them about 1/4" by 1/4" and cut them 2 inches long drill a hole so I can nail them to a tree or drill 2 holes to wire them to my taperd boxes....

Posted By: yukon254

Re: marten traps - 11/30/11 03:46 AM

Dont use coni holders much, but the lid from a tin can nailed to a tree, then bent up into a V works great, and their cheap. With the marten traps we have to use there is no need for a holder.... just bend both springs up and the trap is solid in the box, even in an inverted position.

Re: marten traps - 12/02/11 03:44 PM

I got about 10 more coffee cans yesterday, gonna make some more Folger Boxes tonight after work. I dried moose hide leggings as a lure holder. 1" wide strips X 6" long and drilled a hole on one corner. Gonna use a 1 foot long piece of wire to hang to a limb by set, but where marten can't get it. Jus smear lure onto the hair side of hide. Should work jus fine, bag up at end of year and reuse next year.

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 12:47 AM

Finally, I have the first half of my marten line out. Fresh snow last night and was able to cut quite a few sets of tracks. Sure don't know what to expect as this being my first season. I'm sure the learning curve is going to be steep.
Here is a pic of my pack loaded and one of my sets. The beer is in tribute to all the info I have gathered on here!

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 12:53 AM

Oh man do you have to use those boxes ? Can you leave them at the end of the season or do you have to pick them up ?

If you have tracks you'll have marten. The learmimg curve on marten is almost a flat line.

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 02:46 AM

That is a good set up with the box vertical with the opening down.bend your trigger wires in L shape with one leg of L parallel to tree trunk.In the field tests conducted in north eastern ontario by 28 local trappers over 2 years in the 80's the vertical box opening down caught the most marten(even more than box on ground).You will also catch all the weasels with that configuration and if you use screen on top of box whiskeyjacks will feed off the top and wont get caught and attract fur.

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 03:03 AM

What do you mean on "Flat-line"?

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 03:05 AM

laugh

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 03:26 AM

Boco, I like seeing the reference to whiskeyjacks, when I moved up here nobody knew what I was talking about. They are camp robbers up here.

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 05:27 PM

White- we don't have to use them at all. I just figured they would work better at forcing the marten through my trap and keep the snow from burying them. Im trying to get my hands on some newspaper boxes to cut weight and bulk.

Boco- thanks for the info. Never knew what you all meant by whiskeyjacks, they are referred to as camprobbers here in Montana. They shouldn't be a problem where i'm trapping though. No screen on top, just solid plywood.

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 05:29 PM

Can't you use foothold traps ? Much less to carry

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 05:29 PM

Have any of you used snares much for marten? I was thinking of getting a few to use and see how they work to lighten my load. And, what are the thoughts on mini-rams or stingers??

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 05:30 PM

I did that for a short while. The damage is not worth it.

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 05:44 PM

Boxes work well here(registered lines).Once you get them set out they are very efficient.When opening your line for the year,you just carry bait and traps(some guys leave their traps out also and spray them with pam cooking oil at end of year)and set up is real quick.Some maitenance is needed but is very minimal.Stay away from plywood as rodents like the glue,and cut your bait wire when closing down to drop bait on ground or bears may wreck box in spring.If you have to pick everything up and reset every season boxes are probably not the best choice.Like White said stay away from snares for marten.

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: smalltimetrapper
Boco, I like seeing the reference to whiskeyjacks, when I moved up here nobody knew what I was talking about. They are camp robbers up here.

Official names Gray Jay, Canada Jay, or Whiskey Jack. We hunted with an older native fellow when we were in our 20's. He was so confused as to what to call them, that he called them "blue jack whiskeys". I have always called them Whiskey Jacks also. Camp robber is also a common term here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Jay

Lot of boxes for back packing there Brent. Wish you luck with your marten trapping and hope you post some pictures of your success.

Yes sometimes critters dine on the plywood boxes:

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 07:31 PM

Well, thank you for the input on snares. I will stay clear of using them for marten.

White- i can use footholds, but am worried about the snow here. Unfortunately I can't check my line everyday due to class. I may try some legholds over break. Any recommendations on size and placement? PM if you want.

Boco- I won't be leaving these out after the season. The bears will have a party with them. I may try to get some newspaper boxes and test leaving one or two out to see how they hold up against the critters.

Ron- I couldn't agree more. I can only run 6 boxes out at a time. I'm sure I will have things dialed in by the end of this season. Need to figure out what is working and what isn't.

Re: marten traps - 12/04/11 07:47 PM

A #zero long spring or a #1 jump on a leaning pole will work a long time. My check times run from 4-8 days depending on weather. Use a small pole that won't hold a lot of snow.

Check in the archives here for photos of different sets.

Re: marten traps - 12/05/11 11:48 PM

Well guys, just got back from checking my line. Had marten tracks within 30 yards north and south of one of my sets. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe more gusto will help?? I loaded it up more anyways. Also had tracks within about 40 yards of another set.Neither set of tracks came to my set though. Wondering if the subzero temps here are making it hard to pinpoint.

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 01:36 AM

Gusto works. Don't lose faith. Perhaps the wind was blowing the "other" way. Don't rely on a single set. As a trapper I HIGHLY respect once said, "If your going to make a set, why not four?".
Without permission, I can't say who, but trust me, it is the real deal.

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 02:08 AM

Brent,what are you using for bait?Here we have very good results with a good size chunk of beaver meat.When you seen the marten tracks what was the marten doing? Was he zig zagging(hunting) or travelling in a strait line?

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 02:23 AM

The temperature couldn't have been low enough to suppress the Gusto if the marten was out & about. The wind was just wrong for where he was relative to the trap.

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 02:29 AM

Were you certain of it being marten? If any question get some photos. My experience in Montana was the marten never passed up a set. Compared to here it was quite refreshing. I always used a smelly bait paste along with my bait of beaver etc. They usually beelined it to the set. Whats for dinner?
Get under the canopy of spruce or fur trees. Really make for a good protection against snow. # 1 set right up tight on the bait worked well for me in Montana. A quarter to half twist of 16 gauge wire around the trap and leaning pole secured it. I didn't have camp robber problems in Montana. Had to switch to conibear when I came to Alaska just due to jays.
A leaning pole set under cover would work well for you without having to carry boxes or help get more sets out.
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 02:34 AM

Family trapper what kind of smelly bait paste did you use?

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 04:14 AM

Viking and White- I agree with the wind thing. It only makes sense, every wild animal uses its sense of smell. I also don't doubt that it could ever be cold enough to suppress the Gusto, I could smell it today at -10. I pretty much carpet bombed this drainage with 6 sets and the bugger came close to 3 of them. I'm sure he will get into one of them eventually. I have faith in all 6 of my sets in that area.

Boco- right now all i have for bait is chicken legs. My buddy did just get 3 beaver and a whole mess of pheasant, so I will be using fresh beaver by weeks end in at least half my sets. Going to try pheasant wings tied to a limb in front/above my box sets to maybe give a visual cue.
The tacks were mostly straight line, but were in relatively open area. The set he passed twice is 50ft off an old spur road along a relatively open ridge line. Thicker with large spruce, lodgepole, and douglas fir on either side. Once the tracks reached the trees they started to zig zag a little.

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 04:23 AM

I think you'll see an improvement with the beaver for bait.The visual is a good idea as marten hunt a lot by sight.Rub the beaver bait on the tree between ground and box also a bit of castor.

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 05:14 AM

Family- I dont think it passed the set up. I don't think it knew the set was there or exactly where it was. I'm 100% on the tracks being marten. We had a storm blow through night before last and i'm sure the wind was screwy. 5 of the 6 sets I have out right now are on big spruce.

Boco- I don't think he saved the castor, but maybe.

My other 6 sets are going out by Saturday in a different area. Going to try some leaning pole sets and some only 2 feet off the graound to see what I can catch.

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 05:16 AM

Here are the photos I took of the tracks today.

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 05:44 AM

Yup, that's the critter your after.

Re: marten traps - 12/06/11 05:11 PM

Tracks were close to 40inches between strides. Must have been moving out or just really big!

Re: marten traps - 12/07/11 10:10 PM

I'm gonna say you're looking at a mink track.

The mink's feet always land in separate spots. The marten's feet will overlap just a tiny bit. Also, it's unusual to see individual toes on a marten track because they are completely furred. The mink toes are not.

Re: marten traps - 12/07/11 11:53 PM

White I have to agree that something seems amiss. The tracks are not clean entry and exit. Usually when you see the leading in and out it is typical of a mink. How far from a creek were you?

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 01:02 AM

The creek is almost dried to nothing. These tracks were on a log under a big spruce with almost no snow on it. The first track phot is a different set of tracks.

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 01:05 AM

I did have my first catch today though. It was surreal. Looked at the coni box and couldn't see the trap. First thought was someone stole it, then I looked below the box and this is the result!

I will be making sure to tie off to a strong enough branch in the future!

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 01:07 AM

Good deal !! Any of those remaining branches above the box is adequate.
Posted By: FishinHank

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 01:16 AM

The throat patch on that marten is huge! You could always nail the chain to the front of the box so when the trap goes off they just drop straight down, but it will still hang away from the tree.

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 04:01 AM

Way to go Brent!

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 04:33 AM

That's a dandy. Hang in there.

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 05:06 AM

I will have some more pics in the next day or so. I need to decide when I have time to thaw/skin him. He is frozen solid. Had him good thou, right behind the head and just at the end of the ribs. Suitcased is the term i believe???

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 05:53 AM

Very nice. Something else that I always use is a piece of red flagging on each site. It might be enough to catch their attention if the wind is wrong. I caught a marten on just a piece of flagging before. Nothing else.

Re: marten traps - 12/08/11 03:05 PM

FT- I have a bunch of pheasant wings im going to tie in front of my sets and see what happens.

Re: marten traps - 12/10/11 03:50 AM

Well, set a few more traps today in what seemed to be a good area. Tracks on the ground. Checked my first line and had another male swinding from a branch.

Re: marten traps - 12/10/11 03:59 AM

Way to go!

Re: marten traps - 12/10/11 04:04 AM

You're on a roll now !

Re: marten traps - 12/10/11 11:00 AM

Sweet. Your hooked now.
Posted By: AKJoeK

Re: marten traps - 12/10/11 11:02 AM

Awesome! I wish there were Marten around here, it would be another thing to go after!

Re: marten traps - 12/10/11 03:37 PM

Thanks guys. Im super hooked. I love being outside in the mountains as it is, this is just another reason for it.
Unrelated to marten, but still trapping, would it be worth the effort and time for otter?? Found some tracks and a couple slides yesterday where I had to cross a creek. By the tracks in the snow it seem to be a biggen. Base of the tail is 5" (in snow).
© 2024 Trapperman Forums