Home

Does your dad trap?

Posted By: trapre

Does your dad trap? - 10/17/18 12:43 PM

How'd you guys start trapping? Does/did your dad trap? or did you just decide to throw a trap out?

my brother got me a dog proof coon trap for my birthday a couple years ago since I was having coon problems with my guinea fowl(in the turkey family). I got a license, fish oil, and a pack of marshmallows. Dumbest set I ever made looking back as far as location but what the heck. The next year my uncle and one of dads co-workers gave me a about 15 traps combined. A Pa trapper by the name of Bill Weaver came over and showed me how to make a set. I went out that evening and set one the next morning I went out and had the muddiest messed up coon I ever saw but I had one. The following days I caught 4 coon in five days. I was hooked. I still have never got anything like 4 in 5 but I have learned a lot in the three years I've been "trapping".

What's the story behind how you got to trappin'?
Posted By: cowboy2005

Re: Does your dad trap? - 10/17/18 03:20 PM

My dad doesn't trap, never has. The reason I found out about trapping is probably quite stupid, but its true and can be summed up in two words. Danial Boone. after I got my license and tried my hand at it I realized two things.

1 its fun and I enjoy it.
2 I stink at it :-)

Re: Does your dad trap? - 10/17/18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: cowboy2005
My dad doesn't trap, never has. The reason I found out about trapping is probably quite stupid, but its true and can be summed up in two words. Danial Boone. after I got my license and tried my hand at it I realized two things.

1 its fun and I enjoy it.
2 I stink at it :-)
SAME!!! LOL I'm learning though.
Posted By: Ray smith

Re: Does your dad trap? - 10/17/18 10:24 PM

My dad doesn't trap and he never has the reason I got into trapping was similar to your reason trapre I had alot of chickens at the time and coons were taking out a couple every night and I got a couple of TSC brand cage traps for Christmas
Posted By: PA_K-9_Trapper

Re: Does your dad trap? - 10/19/18 01:03 AM

He did for a few years when he was my age, then when I took interest in it, I got him back into it. We trap together most of the time. It's either we go to each stop,then we set a double(we each set a trap)or I run one farm and he runs another. A lot of times we compete to see who's sets catch more critters, and if ask me I win most of the time. grin Everything I have ever caught though I pretty much owe to him because, he was willing to take me to see demos, help check lots of empty traps, come along with me, etc.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Does your dad trap? - 10/20/18 11:19 PM

No, my Dad doesn't trap. We got started trapping because of big coons killing chickens. I started and liked it, then my two other brothers started at it. Now we think it is the only outdoor sport left worth doing!
Posted By: Kylee Eastwood

Re: Does your dad trap? - 10/21/18 12:43 AM

My dad does trap. I started going out on the line with him when I was about two years old. I thought it was the neatest thing ever so when I was about 7 or 8 my dad got me a few coon traps and I started caring anything that I caught in them. Then when I got to be about 9 or 10 I started catching coyotes and bobcats. And I've got to tell you it is the funnest thing ever to me.
Posted By: lonewolf308

Re: Does your dad trap? - 01/08/19 12:27 PM

My Dad doesn't trap and quite frankly I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm stupid. I taught myself to hunt, fish, and shoot so now I'm teaching myself to trap. I have always loved animals and their fur, after playing Red Dead Redemption 2 for days on end I thought I'd trap. I suck at it. I know I'm all around coons but have yet to trap one. I'm trying it out this year with coons before I make the jump and get some foot hold traps and bigger stretchers. Wish me luck!

Re: Does your dad trap? - 01/08/19 01:50 PM

I will! Some of the best advise comes from this site if you have the nerve to ask questions! I have gotten SO much help because of this site! Caught my first fox after a guy I met ON THIS SITE came down and showed me good locations!

If you can find a good area with coon traveling frequently then get some dog proof traps. They are fairly easy to maintain and set. They are their own lure and all you need is some kind of bait. I use sardines or tuna then put a marshmallow over top of the bait of choice. They may cost a penny but there is almost no work required in setting, baiting, scent, and maintenance.

Do you know what a dirt hole is?

What size and kind of trap do you have?
Posted By: lonewolf308

Re: Does your dad trap? - 01/08/19 03:04 PM

trapre: Thanks for the advice! I think rain and lack of time in the woods has hurt a lot. I am thinking of doing some fish scent trails as well as tuna as bait see what happens. My wife hates the time and money I've put into it, but I think I'm going to push forward and spend more...lol
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Does your dad trap? - 01/09/19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by lonewolf308
My Dad doesn't trap and quite frankly I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm stupid.

X2 I got that when I started too
This is like my 6th or 7th season and I think hes getting over it.At first, he was all worried that I wouldnt make any money, and it took forever to tell him ITS A HOBBY, NOT A JOB. Then one day, he goes, I dont want you to be mad, but your probably not going to make any money trappin. I just looked at him, and said, this is what Ive been trying to tell you. Either way, he never will come with to check or anything, and he used to hunt all the time, now I cant even get him go to hunting. He showed me most of what I know about hunting, but when it comes to predator hunting, trappin, or fishin, I figured it out myself.
Posted By: Ol' Jube

Re: Does your dad trap? - 02/07/19 11:37 PM

My Dad loves it.
Posted By: MOcoyotesJr

Re: Does your dad trap? - 03/05/19 02:50 AM

My dad has trapped for 40 years and still does. He taught me everything he knows. This was my 3rd year trapping and I love it.
Posted By: Zeb Johnson

Re: Does your dad trap? - 07/06/19 06:01 AM

No my dad doesn't trap. I got into trapping by listening to my neighbor "uncle sandy" talk about when he trapper in Alaska
© 2024 Trapperman Forums