Home

Turtle trappin

Posted By: Ray smith

Turtle trappin - 06/09/19 01:01 AM

Hey guys it's been awhile since Ive been on here I've been busy with work just wondering if any of yall trap turtles and what do yall use to trap them
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Turtle trappin - 06/09/19 04:51 AM

Hi Ray. Not a turtle trapper,so I can't be of much help.
Tom
Posted By: Ray smith

Re: Turtle trappin - 06/09/19 02:33 PM

Hi, it's no problem I've always done it with just jugs but wondering about the other ways people do it
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: Turtle trappin - 06/09/19 11:57 PM

D hoop style nets
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Turtle trappin - 06/10/19 04:26 PM

R-P Outdoors sells a turtle trap but it cost about $80 + shipping! mad
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Turtle trappin - 06/16/19 06:35 PM

Dang it's gotten mighty dead in the kids forum since me nd some of the others moved on. Any how I trap em for sport more than anything since their illegal to keep here in MS. Well if i recall right your allowed one a year but no selling of any parts or live animals.

Anyhow I've also done some removal jobs. It's amazing how many large turtle you can have in a small body of water. I make all of my traps. What they are is a flat bottomed hoop cage made of concrete remesh with a net covering and a single flat throat. There's one in working on right now.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I really like these because their cheap to make and fairly durable. I get the remesh for free ,anyone that does concrete work usually has a few 1/4 rolls left over in their back yards they wanna get rid of.

i make all my netting by hand so i only like $12 in a few nets for a roll of #15 twine. You can buy the netting pre made from the fish net company for like $10. Honestly you can make these really really nice for less than $20. I also always add a pool noodle in the back . Say 3/4s of the way from the back . I like to bend it in the same D shape . If you put it this at back it keeps the traps boyant so the turtles don't drown but it also keeps it alt a lower profile in the water. Much less notable. I been meaning to do another pictorial to showing how to make one but just never got around to it
Posted By: Zeb Johnson

Re: Turtle trappin - 07/06/19 04:08 PM

I trap turtles I use jugs with treble hooks and chicken or fish as bait
Posted By: TrappermanBlake

Re: Turtle trappin - 08/18/19 02:14 AM

I catch them off of trout lines with chicken gizzards for bait
© 2024 Trapperman Forums