Home

Checking the trapline

Posted By: trappergirl04

Checking the trapline - 09/14/20 04:40 PM

Does anyone check the trapline on horseback?
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/14/20 06:54 PM

Nope. I’m do it on my legs
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/14/20 07:58 PM

I've been wanting to for a year but can't find a good way to carry my equipment that way.

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/14/20 08:04 PM

Okay. My trapping buddy has horses that we want to use and I was wondering the same thing
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/14/20 09:39 PM

I have been surrounded by horses when heading to check traps,but have never used them.I use feet,,boat or canoe,3 or 4 wheeler and a vehicle.
Tom
Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/14/20 11:48 PM

I walk my trap line, but a full time trapper or someone with a quad or side by side would greatly benefit from driving one around to check traps
Posted By: cowboy2005

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/15/20 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by trappergirl04
Okay. My trapping buddy has horses that we want to use and I was wondering the same thing

IF, you decide to use horses you need to make sure they are BOMB PROOF!!! SERIOUSLY!! My horse would spook at the sight of a turkey, now imagine what a coyote with little spunk would do a horse like that or a gun shot or whatever horses can spook at the weirdest thing you know.
So you need to really really know your horses, do not go well they've never spooked before.... thats how people get killed. I don't now how experienced you and your friend are but you really need to be experienced to try something like taking horses on the trapline, it will introduce all kinds of new things to a horse very quickly so you need to be prepared to handle it. The other thing is winter, imma be honest idk about winter where you are but here we get a thin ice layer on top of the snow sometimes, which means you can't ride, or ice under the snow which alos means you can't ride.

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/15/20 02:08 AM

Yeah, we are pretty experienced in riding and we are working on bomb proofing the horses.

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/15/20 02:15 AM

Yeah, we are pretty experienced in riding and we are working on bomb proofing the horses.

Well, you should be good but you know what they say, "Ain't no horse that can't be rode, ain't no rider that can't be throwed" so next question, are you experienced in training??

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/15/20 02:36 AM

I’m not experienced in horse training but I’ve trained a lot of animals lol but my friend is really good at it

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/15/20 05:18 AM

I’m not experienced in horse training but I’ve trained a lot of animals lol but my friend is really good at it

Welp you should be golden then!
Posted By: AJE

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/18/20 03:27 AM

Maybe you could use the horse like a pack mule to haul beaver back to the truck.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/18/20 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Maybe you could use the horse like a pack mule to haul beaverback to the truck.

Wow AJE you’re racist against coyote trappers! Yote trapper lives matter!
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/18/20 05:19 AM

LOL--KY,Beaver Trappers rule,besides beaver smell so much better than flea infested yotes.
Tom

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/18/20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
LOL--KY,Beaver Trappers rule,besides beaver smell so much better than flea infested yotes.
Tom

Amen!

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/18/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Maybe you could use the horse like a pack mule to haul beaver back to the truck.

I’m almost wondering if we would be better off to just skin on site rather than putting all that weight on the horse and making it harder it travel.

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/19/20 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

I’m almost wondering if we would be better off to just skin on site rather than putting all that weight on the horse and making it harder it travel.

you could, but horses are LAZY so I never feel too bad making em work lol. But idk how many beaver your talking either

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/20/20 01:27 PM

Yeah lol I’m mainly talking about the bulk of the load and getting through brush and with a big beaver it may make it hard to tie it on right and I don’t want it to get caught on stuff while walking in the woods
Posted By: SquirrelSlayer11

Re: Checking the trapline - 09/24/20 01:16 AM

We use our 4 wheeler cool
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Checking the trapline - 10/21/20 07:43 PM

motorcycle saddles? & skin everything out on line?

Re: Checking the trapline - 10/21/20 11:14 PM

That was another thing we were considering
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: Checking the trapline - 01/01/21 08:35 PM

We cheak are traps on foot atv or utv and in the trunk.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums