Home

Do you guys use drags?

Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Do you guys use drags? - 09/21/20 08:45 PM

My drag is a 6-10 foot long 4-8 inch log that is usually on the forest floor, but definally not rotting, so fresher wood i would have to say. It becomes a big heavy near immovable object not really a drag but I it works. I chain around it where there is thick outward branches so the chain wont slip and I then use a fence staple to stabilize the chain in one place. I use enough chain to wrap the trap with about 2 feet of chain coming out. What do you guys think? It defeats the purpose of a drag since it doesn't move but it still is since it technically moves, i've come back to find that the animal has moved 1 or 2 feet from the original place so that's still means it moves a small distance so its a drag.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 09/21/20 09:23 PM

I’ve used logs before it works keep it up!
Posted By: AJE

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 09/24/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by KeeperOfTheCoons
My drag is a 6-10 foot long 4-8 inch log that is usually on the forest floor, but definally not rotting, so fresher wood i would have to say. It becomes a big heavy near immovable object not really a drag but I it works. I chain around it where there is thick outward branches so the chain wont slip and I then use a fence staple to stabilize the chain in one place. I use enough chain to wrap the trap with about 2 feet of chain coming out. What do you guys think? It defeats the purpose of a drag since it doesn't move but it still is since it technically moves, i've come back to find that the animal has moved 1 or 2 feet from the original place so that's still means it moves a small distance so its a drag.

Sounds fine
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 10/25/20 09:20 PM

I often use wood limb drags when i do a mile or two off road coon line. Saves weight of metal staking. Cut dead limbs 2-4" dia & about 6-10' long. Leave branches on. Thick end of limb is often used as backstop to set
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 10/28/20 09:58 PM

A few. Earth anchors are better & cheaper all-the-way-around, though!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 10/29/20 02:01 PM

I use whatever is available and easiest stakes, drags cabling off to a tree heavy limbs are great wire it on and go Don't overthink it just make sure you have multiple swivels
3/8x18 rebar works great i prefer a washer or nut over the t-bar chain doesn't snag
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 10/29/20 10:01 PM

I do bc they are convenient. But not exclusively by any means
Posted By: cowboy2005

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 10/30/20 03:01 AM

I've thought about using drags but never got into it
Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 11/01/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by cowboy2005
I've thought about using drags but never got into it

At this point my drags have just been trees and fallen logs. If I ever need one I just cut a tree that's the right size. I would use a saw over a hatchet for trees unless you want to wear yourself out faster. I use a fence staple to secure the chain to it cant slip either way up or down the drag. Be careful about using logs around steep hillsides, you might come to find your catch has traveled further than what you expected. One last thing In the preseason or even now drop off cinder blocks at your creek-side trapping sight. Chances are no one will take them but I hide mine. Chain them to your trap and throw them in deep water, preferably in a deep pocket or in a deep current. I'd say most critters would drown before they got close to dragging it out.
Posted By: Ol' Jube

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 12/05/20 08:32 PM

Me and my dad use drags for fox and wolverine.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Do you guys use drags? - 12/06/20 12:06 AM

I use saplings as drags for coon.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums