Home

Mentoring

Posted By: patrapperbuster

Mentoring - 10/19/20 04:07 AM

Does anyone know if any state wildlife commissions offer a trapping mentoring program & if so what are their rules and guide lines? Every state should offer something like this. There has to be many experienced trappers that would volunteer time on either a group or individual basis to teach young or old how to trap. The future of trapping needs this.
Posted By: Ave

Re: Mentoring - 10/21/20 02:08 AM

I agree, trapping could really use something like that. I see interest is definitely falling. For a couple years, I’ve offered to take kids trapping, and even offered to give away some traps to any kids interested. I never found anyone in my area anyways. Our county’s conservation club sometimes offers education classes, but I personally don’t know of anything offered by the state except for the education course to get a license. I sure wish we could set up something like this. If we don’t, the future of trapping is definitely at risk. The lack of competition on the line is nice at times, but I know it’s really a bad thing to be seeing.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Mentoring - 10/21/20 07:13 PM

Well said Ave. Being near retirement i've been thinking about putting ad in advertising papers to offer free trapping instruction to young or old. People can always donate a subscription of "AMERICAN TRAPPER" or similar to local librarys or schools also.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums