Home

Anybody making baits or lures yet?

Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 01:52 AM

I put a big container of eggs on the roof of my shed to sit in the sun. I'm going to see how much I can rot things down and make homemade baits and lures. I was thinking about making some fish oil or trying to make use of fish I catch this summer.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 02:38 AM

Remember coyotes don’t tend to like stinky loud bait as well as a fresh bait.
Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 02:52 AM

I don’t make em. Apples work good for squirrel though
Posted By: Ave

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 03:22 AM

I don’t make a lot of bait- but keep this in mind. When rotting down baits in the sun, gasses from the material breaking down will start to form in your jars. If you don’t let the pressure out, they will explode. You have to find a way to release the gas that builds up, but also keeping it sealed tight to keep flies out. Good luck!
Posted By: rattrapper1234

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 11:18 AM

I'm waiting till the end of the summer to start, I make most of my baits with bait solution.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 06:38 PM

I agree with Jackson. No stinky rotten crud; you will catch 10x more predators on fresh and not so rank lures and baits.
Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper
I agree with Jackson. No stinky rotten crud; you will catch 10x more predators on fresh and not so rank lures and baits.
I was thinking of trying both this year. Last year I used just fresh bait and not really any tainted bait and I wanted to expand my knowledge some on the animals reactions. Ill keep that in mind though.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper

Anthony, that also depends on your climate. I would say yes to fresh for you, but for me I think tainted baits work decent too.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 08:00 PM

When its cold in the north country,tainted baits reach out a lot better than fresh.
Tom
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Anybody making baits or lures yet? - 05/03/21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
When its cold in the north country,tainted baits reach out a lot better than fresh.
Tom

Yes, thats why tainted baits can be better for me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums