Home

The trouble with Badgers !

Posted By: LT GREY

The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 01:18 AM

This is a post that I hope trappers will add some interesting badger trapping stories, ideas and trapping methods.

Unprime badger messin' up a good ADC coyote set.... crazy

Hey...where'd my trap go? laugh

Badger diggings for pocket gophers.

Another example.

Posted By: K9.Trapper

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 01:35 AM

why your pics have lines in em? and i can see why farmers hae them things! they could do some damage on cattle and farming equipment!
Posted By: cdr

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 01:37 AM

I hope to learn from this topic (sure I will)! I have a chance to get $20.00 for every badger I get out of an alfalfa field this winter (farmer paying me to get them). He wanted me to get them in August but I told him to wait for season to open.
In the past, I've taken them with a dirthole set but I'm sure it was luck and not skill.
Posted By: K9.Trapper

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 01:54 AM

i would charge him more, but, if thats the most he will offer, i wouldnt push it...lol...i would be glad to trap em!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 02:18 AM

I'll take the $20, he is tighter than bark on a tree. Plus it will open another 3,000 acres to me!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 02:21 AM

How long do badgers stay in an area? Are they "long term" residents or "short term" residents?
I've seen posted on here before where they may stay underground for long periods of time.
Posted By: MJM

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 02:59 AM

Badger in a 220 duke. Notice how close he came to digging up the stake on the right side.

This one took 220 and stake down the hole. My dog, Dusty is tryin to get him out.
Posted By: Flatlander94

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 02:04 PM

Those things are mean, and not fun to mess with in footholds. When we went to dispatch one it took three shots from the twenty two we had and it was still going. We also made a set for a badger one time and instead we caught a bobcat.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 05:49 PM

You were money ahead then, Cooter! smile
Posted By: MChewk

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 07:34 PM

The trouble with badgers...is they are roamers. And they tempt the trapper by leaving a lot of sign around...then they never return.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 07:40 PM

Good point, Mike.
The reason I showed some badger diggings so that people could (at least make an attemp to) indentify them.

Badgers are protected here in Ohio. We don't have the good pale silkies anyway.
Mostly "hair badgers."
Posted By: Flatlander94

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/09/09 10:48 PM

Yeah you're right MChewk, thats how I caught that bobcat was I saw the sign set my traps and the next few days there wasn't a thing in my traps and then I came one day and there was a big ol tom sittin in there

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/10/09 02:17 AM

They will stay under ground for long enough that you think they are gone. I have had them in a hole for over a week during the summer and a month or more in the winter.
Posted By: Silver Back

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/10/09 01:10 PM

i want to catch a badger!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/10/09 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: MJM
Badger in a 220 duke. Notice how close he came to digging up the stake on the right side.

This one took 220 and stake down the hole. My dog, Dusty is tryin to get him out.

Nothing like a Duke 220 fight cirlce.

Note to self: No Dukes for badgers (or anything else).
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/10/09 10:08 PM

Oh I don't know about that, a Bridger #3 set for cats don't look to bad either...LOL it is that clump on the left center of the mound. 3 swivels and double 30 inch stakes payed off again...Tom

Posted By: dtpa

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/11/09 12:10 AM

How do you remake a disaster like that? That's gotta be one heck of a canine attraction, you just move over a few yards or what? No badgers here, just wondering.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/11/09 01:07 AM

Note to self: No Dukes for badgers (or anything else). [/quote]

I get catch circles on skunks and coon with 220 dukes too. They are being replaced. Make sure you have them staked off or cabled off good.
Posted By: Mister ED

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/09 05:13 AM

Caught one the other day. They are not something we (at least I) typically see here. There was a hole dug and a little pise of sand out front ... so I planted a canine set in the small sand pile. Two days later This is what I saw when I pulled into the field.

Most of his fight circle was ubderground!! That entire area underneath the loose dirt was hollowed out. After teh badger was dispathed, I walked accross the center area ... the hole thing collapsed and caved in.
Posted By: DakotaKid

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/09 05:34 AM

Those great big trap circles made by badgers can be a Godsend when its late in the winter and your in need of dirt. They always have it cut up nice and fine and you can usuallyfill at least 2 5 gallon pails

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/09 06:04 PM

Yes and that badger odor is very attractive to coyotes!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/15/09 02:03 PM

A typical view of a badger's den.

One should be careful when poking around old badger dens, as they often hold other types of creatures! eek

Posted By: amestrapper

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/17/09 03:17 PM

I caught one on accident snaring for coon around a creek and he dug up my snare and pulled it. I was mad until I went to the next snare and he was patiently waiting for me. Lol. Okay so maybe not so patiently waiting.
Posted By: Wyatt Peverley

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/17/09 05:15 PM

jacob you did not catch a bobcat.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/17/09 06:52 PM

amestrapper,
Many badgers will dig up a short staked trap or snare.
Often they will still be waiting as they don't even know they are free.
You got lucky on that one!
They are not normally hard to hold in a trap.
I like longer chains for that reason, but one does want to stake away from the hole and not let a badger get down too deep, or you'll do a lot of digging.
Posted By: coonergreen

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/17/09 10:16 PM

ya my badger dug a huge hole i double cable staked cause there only 15in and he never moved at all. i chased him out of my set today dang thing like's me

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/18/09 02:44 AM

They prime up way to late in the year.
Posted By: Mister ED

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/18/09 03:19 AM

They prime up way to late in the year.

Yep, and the bad part here ... our season ended 11/14.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/18/09 03:53 AM

Maybe I should have said they prime up too early in the year. Mid Jan to Mid Feb

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/18/09 05:45 PM

Yes Badgers are late primers for sure.

MJM, can't you trap them in mid January?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/19/09 11:47 PM

We can hunt/shoot & trap them all year. Snare, this year,21 Nov - 14 Mar I take more in the end of Feb and March then I do Jan. It can be a cold month.
Posted By: snarer

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/21/09 01:59 PM

Here is a badger I picked up in a coyote set this morning. It was caught deep in a duke #3.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/21/09 10:47 PM

Is that mud or water?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/21/09 11:23 PM

It is just wetter clay. Not really muddy just moist. That was my first badger in a foothold. I had seen pics of what they did but never in person.
Posted By: wynn hall

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/09 12:03 AM

Sometimes trapping badgers is just a waiting game, up to a week to come back to the hole he dug. In the meantime ground squirrles make themselves at home and mr badger has a meal waiting for him!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/09 12:55 AM

This one almost made it by the snare.

Some times it doesn't pay to drag your feet.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/09 01:44 AM

He must not have been caught very long because the ground is not torn up. smile
Posted By: Beartrapperbeef

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/09 03:18 AM

Note to self: No Dukes for badgers (or anything else).

I get catch circles on skunks and coon with 220 dukes too. They are being replaced. Make sure you have them staked off or cabled off good. [/quote]

Its not the duke its your trigger placement. a victor hip catch is about as effective as a duke hip catch.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/09 12:45 PM

Its not the duke its your trigger placement. a victor hip catch is about as effective as a duke hip catch. [/quote]
I agree 100%. Now just what is the best trigger placement? I am talking about badger coon and skunk neck cought.
This coon was on a 6' cable tie off. It is twisted down to about 2" now.

This skunk moved into the box, neck catch.

The box was set at the tree and grass wasn't matted down.

Are you starting to get the idea. If it is the trigger placement, please tell me what I have to do to fix it.
The badger that is foot snared was moved before I took the picture.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/09 02:33 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask what type of kill trap those are.

I own a good many kill traps and I can tell you that the 'Savage' and/or the Beliese are HANDS DOWN better at killing an animal on impact than a Duke , Victor, Northwoods etc.

The "Canadian Bend" jaws makes a world of difference!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/09 02:36 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask what type of kill trap those are.

I own a good many kill traps and I can tell you that the 'Savage' and/or the Beliese are HANDS DOWN better at killing an animal on impact than a Duke , Victor, Northwoods etc.

The "Canadian Bend" jaws makes a world of difference!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/09 08:37 PM

They are 220 Dukes and on the way out. I'm replacing them with Belisle. The springs were weak from the start. I wrote Duke and never heard back. Sent two registered letters and had the dealer I bought them from call, they told him to bad. I won't buy another Duke no mater what the price is. The good part is I only had 20 doz of them to start. There is less all the time. I have about 10 doz Belisle and am more then pleased with them. I feel I got a bad run of Dukes and since they couldn't call or write back I will eat them once. But not twice.
Posted By: Beartrapperbeef

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/09 01:20 AM

Its not the duke its your trigger placement. a victor hip catch is about as effective as a duke hip catch.

I agree 100%. Now just what is the best trigger placement? I am talking about badger coon and skunk neck cought.
This coon was on a 6' cable tie off. It is twisted down to about 2" now.

This skunk moved into the box, neck catch.

The box was set at the tree and grass wasn't matted down.

Are you starting to get the idea. If it is the trigger placement, please tell me what I have to do to fix it.
The badger that is foot snared was moved before I took the picture. [/quote]

Then why did the 37lb coon i got this year still have his head in the bucket when i got to the set. And all the fisher i have caught in duke 220's have not even fallen off the leaning pole. I have had several still in the bucket like the coon. I have even caught a bears paw in a duke 220 and it was held long enough for that thing to tear everything apart.

And as far as the skunk it was caught on the way out, or it was not set properly. IF the trigger was set properly the jaw with the trigger wires would be the jaw that made the kill not the one with the dog like the skunk was caught on. so the correct position from my experiences would be the jaw with the trigger on the outside and the trigger spaced with a decent sized upside down V centered in the middle of the trap opening. for me it produces consistent quick kill strikes, with even a duke.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/09 02:40 AM

The skunk was still alive and was in the box when i got there. At times I have between 400 and 450 220's and 160s out. I have tried every trigger arangement you can dream up. I have more live animals in duke 220's then any other body grip. I would love to learn how to fix my problems.
Here is another live one in a 220 duke, trail set.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/09 03:00 AM

Has anyone tried using modified dukes, victors or northwoods? I welded kill bars on a couple of my duke 160's and the coon never pulled the trap off of the supports and that was with the trigger wires bent one straight down and one bent straight across the top and slid over as far as it could go and still fire. I don't use anywhere near as many killer traps as you guys do, I'm just saying what worked for me.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/09 03:03 AM

I amsure that would help them. There is a gap about 1 to 1 1/4 wide between the jaws of a duke 220. That is part of the problem with them. Kill bars would fix that.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/09 03:10 AM

With as many trap as you run I imagine it would be cost effective to just phase out the dukes and buy the beliese traps. I only have 2 dozen 160's and modifiy them as I find time. I have one of those little 110 wire feed welders and they are perfect for trap modifying. Got a lot of good ideas from the custom trap mods website. I really like their conbear swivels. Better than running cable through the spring eye.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/09 03:14 AM

If nothing else, you could make the spring holes smaller thus closing the gap a little more when its closed. I was messing around one day and installed some old 330 springs on a 220, but had to close the spring holes to get the jaws to close properly. Works like a charm and plan to use it on otter if the chance is ever presented.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/09 12:28 PM

I have had pretty good luck with the 160's, they close tighter then the 220's. When I first started setting 220's I thought they were all equil. But after running big numbers of them you start to see a differnce.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/09 03:40 PM

What make of kill trap are you using, Mark?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/24/09 01:45 AM

They are Dukes. I feel I got a bad run. Some had very weak springs out of the box. I sure won't buy more. If someone has them and likes them good for them.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/24/09 05:40 PM

People swear by Duke traps and I have used some.
I was less than impressed with their kill traps....their footholds are so-so!

I have one 330 size Duke that belonged to a friend who passed away. It was never used and I am going to take it out on the beaver line this year and trap a beaver with it, but only in honor of my long lost friend. Otherwise, I would have sold it!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/24/09 05:43 PM

If I were using a kill trap for a badger, it would be a Savage or Beliese!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/25/09 12:33 AM

I thought it was just me. I had a badger by a front foot in a 160 Belisle. It was a box/cubbie I don't know if the trap was out of the box ore he was reaching in. But he sure made a mess of things. I like the Belisles, never tried the Savage.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/27/09 08:07 PM

Both are better than any American kill trap I've used.
I haven't tried the Bulldog by Locklier!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/28/09 01:23 PM

The Bulldog and other MAGNUM style jaws on the "softer" springed conis are the answer for quicker kills AND maybe more importantly....reduce hand, wrist fatigue at days end....lol

Seriously...I had several old style Vic sq jaws 220 worked up along with old Northwoods, Dukes and Bridger...using kill bar....dead on arrival and much easier to re-set trap.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/28/09 06:09 PM

I agree that one of the big problems with some body grips is the inch and quarter gap between the jaws.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/28/09 07:30 PM

Print us a picture of your welded/modified traps, Mike!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/29/09 12:28 AM

Can't no digital camera.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/30/09 04:51 PM

All those students and no access? Come on man! smile
Posted By: coontrappernick

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/30/09 06:37 PM

caught one in a ditch once, shot him in the head, threw him in the back of the ranger and drove off to check other sets, he wasnt there when i got home! drove my entire line lookin in the ditches for him, nope, couldnt find him. Caught one yesterday in a fox snare 7" loop 7" off the ground
Posted By: Gun Nut

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/30/09 09:34 PM

Has anyone ever had a badger come up or out of the hole while you were puting in a set? I always get the willys seting traps on a big fresh badger hole.

Gun Nut

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/01/09 01:15 AM

I have had my dog go down the hole and could hear them hiss and growl. The badger, the dog squeeks, he wants them out.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/01/09 10:21 PM

Fox Terrior, MJM ?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/02/09 12:59 AM

He is a Jadg Terrior. Here he is 6 foot in the air, telling me ther is a coon in a hole in the next tree over.

Tightening up a snare on a red.

You ever trap with a dog Lt?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/02/09 02:53 PM

Trapped lots of dogs, Mark.

Some on purpose!

Everything from a Rottweiler to a beagal.
Posted By: colt

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/02/09 10:19 PM

thats his dog though picture were from a damage control job fur was worthless so he let the dog have some fun
Posted By: TheRAT

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/02/09 11:20 PM

I do ADC work in NE Kansas. Ten days ago I started a badger job. This badger had dug under the home owner's front porch, not your usual badger habitat. I also set up my trail camera while trapping this young female to learn her habits and let the owner have some great pictures. (Other animals visiting the den entrance include a opossum {caught}, a rabbit {actually went into the den, past my 220} and a raccoon.) laugh I used cage traps, but she would dig under and around them. I finally resorted to a 220 conibear set in the den entrance.

This Monday, I finally caught her. My estimate is 500 pounds of sand that she pulled out from under that porch.

First picture the badger on the second night. She would leave one night and them come back the second morning, just before sunrise.

Skinned out and ready for the tanner.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/03/09 12:54 AM

Lt, I said trapped "WITH" a dog, not trapped a dog. Anyone can catch a dog, unless you what too.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/03/09 04:01 PM

Ha! Dang how did I miss that? smile

Just huskies on dog-sled trapline.
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/07/09 02:16 AM

Here's a couple I've caught.....I've always done them in the open form but was told that the cased style is becoming more popular. The first pic is the first one I did in this way and stretched it on a coyote stetcher.

Posted By: fish

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/07/09 02:31 AM

heres one that messed up a good cat set today

i dont mind catching badgers they make a nice addition to my fur pile!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/07/09 06:20 PM

Bushmaster, those are as pretty as a badger as I've seen!

Fish, thanks for posting.
How many badgers you up to now?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/08/09 03:16 PM

Fish that is a beautiful badger..real silver tip.

Caught one the other day in a coyote set...had a real creamy colored pelt..big male.

Will add this to the thread topic...old railroad grades are great badger hangouts here in N. Illinois. There is always food for predators due to the thick cover along these areas. Heck, as a small game hunter I cut my teeth hunting rail road tracks...when it was still legal. Quail, pheasants, rabbits and squirrels could always be found in these areas.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/11/09 03:39 PM

Not too many in my area Tony...usually catch 1 or 2 every few years. But nothing consistent.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/12/09 11:56 PM

Who has sold any badgers this year?
Anyone?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/15/09 07:55 PM

Taxidermist...40.00 whole lol
Posted By: fish

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/18/09 04:40 AM

ive got four now but i went and put some badger sets in, near a few prarie dog towns should have some this weekend! it gotten warm out things are really moving should be good for the next few days!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/19/09 04:26 AM

I would think that 'dog towns are good for all types of predators!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/22/09 02:37 PM

When staking badger, stake to keep them out of the hole. When a badger is trapped he will work around the stake as far out as he can reach. Digging as he goes around. If the the chain is to short the only place he has to dig is at the stake. Give them some chain and cut the chances of them digging up the stake way down.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/23/09 01:53 AM

Quote:
Print us a picture of your welded/modified traps

Here is a very simple modification........

Posted By: mtbadger

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/23/09 01:55 AM

Dave does that slow the trap down much??? Have you found that it weakens the springs more over time???
Posted By: Vinke

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/23/09 02:01 AM

It does not slow the trap down at all...... as far as I have noticed.

Springs seam to be strong...BUT...Im a Manly Man..lol
The trap was originally made for a "humane Kill" study done in the state,,,,

Most trappers that participated sold the traps after catching a finger or two...lol.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/23/09 03:07 AM

I can't imagine why...LOL Do they go buy the nickname "Stubby" now....LOL

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/23/09 03:44 AM

LT is that your calling card...LOL
Posted By: newbie1

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/23/09 08:59 PM

ON WISCONSIN!!!!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/26/09 03:43 AM

Different kind of badger there, newbie 1. laugh

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/30/09 05:58 PM

ttt
Posted By: Medlaketrap

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/30/09 08:51 PM

I caught this ol girl in a coyote set. I had urine on an oversized dirt clump, then some coyote gland lure on the backing.
Posted By: fur_minator

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/30/09 10:13 PM

How much does it weigh?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/31/09 01:16 AM

I didnt weigh her. You are the third person that has asked me that.lol ill weigh it next time. I would guess around 25 to 30 lbs.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/31/09 11:48 PM

You cetainly do have some beautiful badgers up there. What do they bring?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/01/10 08:04 PM

Im not sure what she would bring. Really heavy fur on her, and its a little early for badgers too, so.. I could probably get around $50. I think and hope...lol

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/08/10 09:40 PM

Send me a PM...
Posted By: bucks

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/09/10 02:49 PM

How long does one wait for them to come out of a hole. I have had some 220's out over holes for 2-3 weeks now. At the time they were freshly dug. Now covered with snow. If they were in that hole would they let it stay covered in snow or not. I'm not really sure if they were in the hole when I set them or not, but I do know they were freshly dug that night. All holes were in one 40 acre bean field. Holes seemed to go down deep, I would love to catch one in a trap, shot a couple before in early fall that were not very good looking, unprime I'm sure.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/09/10 07:41 PM

2-3 weeks? shocked

What are the temps there in Iowa now?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/10/10 02:56 AM

COLD, has got above 20degrees twice since I put them out. most of the days have been lucky to break zero. Been really cold!!! With alot of snow, I think weve gotten around 25" to 30" with the last two storms.

I'm starting to think the badger was not in the hole's. Going to pull them tomorrow.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/10/10 06:04 AM

I would leave them if I were you. I know around here, if it were 20 out, my badgers would most likely come out and move a bit. But there maybe not cause it usually isnt that cold or snowy is it?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/11/10 09:13 PM

usually not this cold, there talking about getting up into the 30's for a couple days this week. Have'nt pulled them yet. Got till the end of the month till season closes.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/11/10 11:46 PM

If you got the traps, wait it out! smile I would!
Posted By: ScreamingCoyote

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/12/10 02:36 AM

cool pics guys
Posted By: jp8102

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/12/10 11:30 PM

caught my first badger of the year. caught it in a cubbie set for cats. braught along my terrier pup to let her have a lil fun. didnt expect her to get to see a badger but she sure liked it. as you can see she wouldnt get to mad for pics. but did charge one to many times! lol. was an old female

had to get tess's pic

all of us

JP

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/15/10 12:45 AM

I have done the best by far shipping badger to the auctions. You won't get much for flat or hair badgers but a good heavy pale will bring good money. I have never had a local buyer come anywhere near the auctions on heavy badger. I have had tops over $100 at at NAFA the last few years. I had 7 bring $70 Avg a few years ago. They were all trapped in March and April. They will be good now. They prime up real late.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/16/10 05:37 PM

Good point!
Posted By: Rally

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/18/10 02:28 AM

It has been my experience that badger can be very finicky when it comes to weather. I've seen them hole up in good weather for days just because it was wet on the ground. They don't seem to like to get wet. I've caught them here in MN in the snow but in SD on a Delta contract , they just didn't like cold or wet weather.I'm sure they are the most weather sensitive animal I have ever trapped.It has been my experience that a fresh dug hole only indicates that a badger was there and not necesarily still there. It is common for them to get into a gopher colony and dig many holes(to the landowners dismay) and leave that area for extended periods of time(weeks). They would dig up most of the gophers in that colony and had little reason to return. When I found a single or double hole they proved to be the most likely to have a badger in them still, and snaring between the dens and trails leading away from them was very effective. I found badger to be as likely to walk around a 220 as go through one.I had better luck setting the conibears in fresh dens, and only caught one ever in a cage trap, and it was a little guy. I had my best luck catching badger in close to active gopher colonies with footholds and snaring trails amongst obvious denning areas. When trapping a 36 square mile block for 4 months, it was common for badger to just appear in the duck nesting areas, dig a den, and begin hunting nests. On several occasions a female would bring her young with her.It was also easy to tell from a 1/4 section away when I'd caught a badger in a foothold. The best way I found to avoid the large "crop cicle" was to snare them at the dens with kill poles and short snares. They most often would just back down into the den and not dig alot. If you want to see a large "crop circle" catch one on a 10-12' snare in the grass. WOW Looks like a beaver house in the center of a field of switch grass. LOL

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/18/10 03:38 PM

Ha! Yep, I've seen that one before...great coyote attractor though! smile
Posted By: cme4293

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/20/10 03:42 PM

i would guess that there are still too low of numbers to trap them but thats just a guess dont know much about the state or badgers

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/21/10 09:56 PM

What YOU SHOULD know, is badgers are PROTECTED in the state of OHIO!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/21/10 10:43 PM

Picked up a good one in a 220 trail set (coon set),could not check the trap the next day due to snow and ice. The following day he was frozen solid....Just got it thawed a couple days ago. Did not have the camera with me. Oh well. Tom

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/21/10 11:09 PM

You're slipping Tom....LOL (No camera)

Great to hear how was the fur???

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/22/10 07:21 PM

Man haven't we all forgotten a camara, just once?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/25/10 05:11 PM

ttt
Posted By: skunkly

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/25/10 11:00 PM

Here's the pics you wanted me to post on this thread, Lt Grey:

-Skunkly-
Posted By: FlatSet

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/26/10 12:25 AM

Here is Wisconsin we have two color phases of badgers. The Silver and the Golden.

Golden badger

Say Cheese

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/26/10 12:27 AM

This one was hunkered in pretty good for the storm. Was a real bear to get out of the hole.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/26/10 07:57 PM

Nice pic's.......never heard of a GOLDEN badger though....

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/05/10 07:25 PM

Is that a common coloe phase?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/06/10 12:49 AM

I never heard of a golden badger myself. We get some that are buff color.

The pale ones seem to $$ out the best.
Posted By: gemstate trapper

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/06/10 06:44 AM

Most of his fight circle was ubderground!! That entire area underneath the loose dirt was hollowed out. After teh badger was dispathed, I walked accross the center area ... the hole thing collapsed and caved in. [/quote]

haha! Found were a badger had been digging with my truck once. There was a few inches of snow so I did not see it till it collapsed and my truck got high centered. Thank god for handy man jacks grin
Posted By: newbie1

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/07/10 12:46 AM

I suppose the Badger being the State Animail has something to do with them being protected. I'm not sure we have great numbers in WI as the nickname "Badgers" didn't come from the animal but the lead miners that came here and lived in their burrows as they dug for the lead. Anyhow, I'm very curious, youse guys that have gotten them here in Wi and had to release them, how'd ya do it? Can you hold them in an animal control pole? Seems like you'd need a large set of balls to turn one loose. Will they turn and attack?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/07/10 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: mtbadger
You're slipping Tom....LOL (No camera)

Great to hear how was the fur???

Comes with age...LOL the fur looked pretty good considering it is still a couple weeks till the get good here. Tom
Posted By: STINGER

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/07/10 02:28 AM

they are nasty looking ......... I'll bet they are no fun to release

great grabs folks ...........

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/07/10 04:20 PM

I have released some due to not being prime. I have used a pole, but like a 5 gal bucket better. Stick the bucket over them, pull out the trap while holding the bucket down with your knee and release the foot. They will want to stay at the catch site most the time. If you press them they will charge, mostly a bluff or false charge from what I have seen. I would rather release them then a large boar coon. They arn't that hard to deal with.
Posted By: predatorfever31

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/07/10 09:54 PM

i dont know anything about badgers but dont coyotes and badgers work together, that be cool to catch a coyote/badger double
Posted By: ccoyote

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/08/10 02:19 AM

The skunk was still alive and was in the box when i got there. At times I have between 400 and 450 220's and 160s out. I have tried every trigger arangement you can dream up. I have more live animals in duke 220's then any other body grip. I would love to learn how to fix my problems.
Here is another live one in a 220 duke, trail set.
I have had problems with skunks in 220s too but the 160 turned em off like a switch usully never pulling their head out of the box but the 220 seem to big for em also the coon arealways dead in my 160 and 220s

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/19/10 06:40 PM

220 is too big for a skunk. IMO. What you need is a 110-160 with a 220 spring on it!
Posted By: fishmax2

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/19/10 07:35 PM

Badgers :P I love em

And as far as remakes go for coyotes...

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/21/10 02:00 AM

Nice shots!

What's the 1st pic?
Wheat field?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/22/10 10:43 PM

yes sir

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/23/10 07:10 PM

So you're trapping summer badgers for control work then?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/23/10 10:33 PM

Yes sir, I was at the time, get a few calls each year to do so, my exam is expired this year, so headed in to retake my test to renew my adc permit for this year. Usually they call and badgers are really tearing up there terraces, or they are in stuble fields with cattle on them. Had a farmer with a couple cows broke legs in there dens.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/25/10 07:16 PM

Reason to have "trouble with a badger", right there!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/01/10 05:19 PM

ttt...so Redbonehunter doesn't blow a fuse! smile
Posted By: BUD25

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/02/10 11:47 PM

Ive only seen 2 badgers in my lifetime. 1 on a DNR officers wall at headquarters, and the other one dead on the highway. Im sure Ill run into a couple when Im out in the gopher fields, i mean alphalfa fields

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/03/10 04:00 PM

1st badger I ever got was up near Breckinridge, Mn.
So they're around. Especially on the N.D. border!
Posted By: KatKrazy

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/04/10 11:20 PM

Does anyone have a picture of a body grip set for badger? And by that I mean, after the trap is placed, but BEFORE the badger gets caught?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/05/10 05:45 PM

You mean like at a den set?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/05/10 05:55 PM

Yes, at a den.
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/06/10 07:44 PM

Gosh I wish I could keep the ones I catch here in WI.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/08/10 03:55 PM

They are protected here as well...
Posted By: Native

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/14/10 05:11 AM

I can trap them all year hear in Idaho, but I have yet to get one. I am trying to trap some for a farmer but my traps have been out for 3 weeks and nothing but a coyote so far, FRUSTRATING!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/14/10 07:44 AM

Keep at it, you'll get one!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/16/10 01:33 PM

The top 5 lots of badger (218 total) in the Mar NAFA sale avged $97.52

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/16/10 06:36 PM

That's IMPRESSIVE!
Posted By: Diamond-W-

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/16/10 10:55 PM

So, I am in northern UT and have seen a few badger around but have no idea what to look for as far as sign...... can you help me??? where do I find them??

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/17/10 12:28 AM

Look for fresh digs. This is the time of the year I get my best badgers. Here they like man made grades. Road banks, RR, dirt mounds. They also seem to like the ground with hill compared to flat. They will be where the gophers are.
Posted By: Diamond-W-

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/19/10 12:33 PM

Thanks, Ill get out and see what I can find!!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/20/10 06:55 PM

Excellent choice for areas that have gophers!
Posted By: redbonehunter

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/24/10 10:36 PM

what kind of leg trap should it be and how lomg should the stake be
Posted By: coilspring-teg

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/24/10 10:47 PM

Are badgers easier to catch early in the season or later?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/25/10 08:23 PM

Earlier, IMO

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/25/10 08:24 PM

Location can change with real cold weather and/or deep snow.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/26/10 09:34 PM

what's the bestset,trap,bait,lure,set and stake

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/27/10 07:15 PM

Man, there's a can o' worms.... grin

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/27/10 07:18 PM

Actually, there is no "best set" lure, bait for every badger or any other species for that matter.
That said, any hole set baited for a 'cat, fox or coyote, will take most any badger that works it.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/27/10 07:21 PM

...as far as trap/stake set up, any predator trap that will hold a coyote will hold a badger.
On staking, I would personally like a longer chain, so that a badger would not be apt to dig up the stake, as you'd find with a shorter chain. Just my opinion.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/28/10 03:16 PM

Same on snares. An 8" loop a few inches off the ground will catch and hold most badgers!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/28/10 03:17 PM

Foot snares for coyotes, will catch a lot of badgers if in the area.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/09/10 02:02 PM

i think there more pretty when there not prime what so yall think

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/10/10 02:52 PM

Disagree 100% ! Prime pale badger, does it for me!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/21/10 08:16 PM

Coy, trigger up or down on your trap ?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/22/10 02:48 PM

i found the badger woulda killed it to if she didnt have babies with her!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/22/10 02:48 PM

and triger down

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/26/10 03:56 PM

why?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/24/10 06:27 PM

Never kill a female badger!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/24/10 09:25 PM

lt is it because of babies not to kill her

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/29/10 05:02 PM

Anyone collecting badger glands this fall? Shoot me a Pm.
Posted By: jkcasey

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/02/10 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Never kill a female badger!
Why is it bad luck or something?
Posted By: MncoonerJr

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/02/10 11:45 AM

How do you track a badger to its den?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/03/10 09:11 PM

you dont track unless with dog,you look for the den.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/12/10 07:07 PM

Is this one on a drag ?
Posted By: jkcasey

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/14/10 02:18 AM

The trouble with them is the leave a mess after you catch them. But most of the time the clean up crew isn't far behind. A coyote can sure fill in those badger circles.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/26/10 02:12 AM

Man, I love that 1st pic ! smile

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/26/10 02:42 AM

Almost a miss, but a good solid catch.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/26/10 04:43 PM

What is that...a 3/32nd foot catch with a Slim lock?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/26/10 08:28 PM

Cam with a spring, spring is on top of the foot and compressed tight. 5/64's 1 X19 Due to the hind foot catch he was in the hole a little deeper then I wanted. With a little digging and prodding I got things lined up.
Posted By: violater

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/27/10 01:16 AM

Over the summer I was out shooting my bow & I saw something big bodied but low to the ground so I went out to the hay field to asses the situation. I had no Idea that there were badgers around until today. I found a hole so I just thought it would be a woodchuck hole out in a hay field so I stuck my hand in it to touch it up & maybe set a trap for it. All of a sudden I hear this strange noise coming from the inside so I took my hand out & started to tap the outside when the next thing I know a Badger is sticking his head out at me & our faces are not 2 feet away. I never knew that I could run that fast until that day. I will never stick my hand in any hole ever again for any reason. eek

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 06/08/11 12:14 AM

They are quite the excavators!

Posted By: WVsportsman

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/07/11 03:08 AM

Make sure you have a LONG chain on those traps or a badger will dig the stake up if you try to short chain him

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/12/11 10:45 PM

You said a mouthful there...Oddly enough, sometimes a badger will dig up the stake and not even know he's free and then plug himself down in the hole...
Posted By: farmkid2014

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/17/11 01:52 AM

I caught a badger last year in one of my culvert sets. They just tear the crap out of your set. It took me 20 minutes to remake my set.
Posted By: takeemmac

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/18/11 03:04 AM

Snare them.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/19/11 08:18 AM

Do you always leave the snare so exposed ? Or try to break out the outline with some blades of grass ?
Posted By: trapaddiction

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/11/11 07:41 PM

second year trapper, caught my first one. what a rush

caught him in a dirthole set with a skunky lure and a chunk of venison
Posted By: takeemmac

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/11 01:42 AM

no I used to but have found it dose not make any difference.
Posted By: BigJim30

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/11 07:04 AM

We don' need no steenking badgers! Sorry Ha!
Posted By: amestrapper

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/15/11 04:04 AM

Im trying to catcha badger in my neighbors yard. Set three dirt holes (badger dug not I) and today had a snapped victor number 2 today and a nice pile of dirt over the hole. My chains are too short and will be swapping them tomorrow. Im new to the dirt hole foot hold scene. How should I set it up? He has no dogs.
Posted By: TravC

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/15/11 08:01 AM

i catch alot of mine in flat sets i dont generaly try for them but pick up a few a year last year i had around 8 this year i think ill have more have seen alot of them in the plain day and on the trail cam in an area im working

Posted By: MNCedar

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/21/11 11:39 PM

What is an effective remake for a badger catch?

Restaked and made them into post sets....
Posted By: G-Trapper

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/11 12:17 AM

so thats abadger hole gives me an idea
Posted By: MNCedar

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/22/11 03:34 AM

We have fresh snow....and I've seen coyote tracks stop and do a complete 180 on the edge of badger catch circles.

Suppose there are lots of factors as to why. I thought they would be money makers.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/25/11 12:10 PM

He's in there.
Posted By: jasonv

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/25/11 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: dtpa
How do you remake a disaster like that? That's gotta be one heck of a canine attraction, you just move over a few yards or what? No badgers here, just wondering.

I don't remake it it I set it for coyote. I put in a flat set or a pocket set right in the middle of the mess. Just caught a coyote this way last week.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/05/11 08:08 PM

Badgers do, in many instances, make an "attractive mess" that will be checked out by every predator !
Posted By: Jesse lackey

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/05/11 09:12 PM

My badger made a huge mess, dug one heck of a trench. When I shot him he [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] down the dirt mound. I figured it would make a great yote set so I re set the trap just below the urine. But it rained for two days straight since then. So I'm guessing all the scents gone. How would you guys re set for fox? (There are plenty of fox in the area, not much coyotes)

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/12/11 11:10 AM

But you still have eye appeal...
...and you can BUY badger gland ! wink
Posted By: Bigkolo

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/12/11 12:55 PM

is the fur worth much on the badgers?
Posted By: coonwild

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/12/11 03:18 PM

the trouble with badgers is they are protected here due to very low populations
Posted By: Chris.B

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/15/12 03:54 PM

Are there usualy more than one badger per hole? Because a few years ago while squirrel hunting me and my friend shot one as it was running towards its hole

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/15/12 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris.B
Are there usualy more than one badger per hole? Because a few years ago while squirrel hunting me and my friend shot one as it was running towards its hole

Guess I'm curious why you did that ?

No badger would be prime when you were hunting squirrels in Michigan !
Posted By: Chris.B

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/15/12 05:50 PM

I was sitting on a hill with my friend and the badger started running towards us so we shot it and it ran into a hole about 10 feel below me on the hill that I had never noticed
Posted By: joemac

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/15/12 08:11 PM

If I wanted to take an out of state trip to catch badgers, where would I go? I've got a badger infatuation it seems and I want to go out of state.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/25/12 01:18 PM

Most western states, ( mid and north) have a good supply.
Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas would be my pick for quality !
Posted By: Trapper Geer

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/25/12 06:19 PM

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/08/12 08:40 PM

THAT has to be the ultimate badger picture !
Posted By: sdco300

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/09/12 07:35 PM

The best place to set a badger trap is in the middle of a gravel road.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/10/12 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: sdco300

laugh grin shocked whistle
Posted By: Trapper Geer

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/15/12 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: sdco300

Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/25/12 12:56 AM

Just ran across this article about documented events of badgers and coyotes cooperating on a hunt. Interesting and you could see the advantages for them. Badger Coyote Hunting Cooperatively
Posted By: Dr. Beaver

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/25/12 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: joemac
If I wanted to take an out of state trip to catch badgers, where would I go? I've got a badger infatuation it seems and I want to go out of state.

You will find badgers anywhere in the prairies. But even "high density" badger areas don't have a lot of them. I think most trapped badgers are probably caught incidentally in dirtholes or flat sets.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 07/09/12 01:38 PM

badgers can be targeted, when you find their den sites or fresh activity, but yeah, usually are "accidents" and welcomed ones at that usually

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 07/14/12 03:19 PM

I would agree with that...or of caught accidentally in 'coon snares or 'leg snares' set for canines.
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 07/15/12 03:09 AM

You can target them easily after a fresh snow, you can see where they cleared their tunnels out from a mile away by the fresh dirt on top of the snow. track em after you see the dirt and see what hole they are in for the night. Set the trap and you got them with in a couple of days depending on the temprature.. I love it when it happens that way!
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/05/12 03:31 AM

How far east are badgers ?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/05/12 11:56 PM

A homeowner shot one the other day on Montgomery Co. , Ohio.
Badgers are protected in Ohio.
He shot it trying to get in his chicken coop, I heard...not sure what they did about it.
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/08/12 12:55 PM

A homeowner shot one the other day on Montgomery Co. , Ohio.
Badgers are protected in Ohio.
He shot it trying to get in his chicken coop, I heard...not sure what they did about it.

Protected or not will the state pay for the loss of chickens ?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/11/12 01:43 PM

Probably Not !
Posted By: conibearguy

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/12 04:51 AM

Caught two badgers so far this year thanks to some pheasants parts and Grimshaw's Coyote-Wolf Lure #26.
Posted By: LoessHillsArcher

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/12 07:37 PM

We've got 2 badgers so far this year. We'll target some more that are digging in unwanted places.

Badger #1 left this hole, I found him hiding during my morning trap run.

Badger #2's damage - we may be fixing this fence line once this post gives way now. haha

And the remake on that set. Haven't caught anything in it again yet

Posted By: grumley701

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/12 08:21 PM

Most of the badgers I catch are these light colored ones.
Posted By: Coon killer123

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/12/12 11:07 PM

it's not anything a bullet cant fix in season.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/02/12 10:07 PM

Q ) What's the longest anyone has ever set a trap in front of a badger hole....KNOWING A BADGER WAS IN THERE and waited for it to be caught?

Anyone ever wait more than 2 weeks ?
Posted By: trapfurfun

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/04/13 03:57 AM

found what I believe to be a fresh hole and left a 220 over the hole for two weeks,either he wasn't in there or he didn't want to come out.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/04/13 04:10 AM

I'de like to trap a badger,this isn't badger country around here,but they are occasional occurances of them.I see badger sign around very sparsley.This country is froze up and badgers hole up like skunks,I think.I've been watching the last 2 places I saw a fresh hole get dug and they are all under 2 feet of snow in the side of roadbeds.I'll keep watching.
Posted By: pkl

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/05/13 04:41 AM

been waiting for one month and half already i know he is in there

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/06/13 05:00 PM

Best way to tell that they are in their hole is to check them on real cold days in the morning. When they are in there, there is almost always frost in the hole, on the top of their tunnel. I caught this giant one in a set that I could see from the road. He was in there when I made the set. His diggings were completely covered with snow for three weeks. On day 2 of a warm up that melted a lot of snow, I saw the tell tale mound that said he was finally caught.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/06/13 06:33 PM

I have had lots of luck with exposed sets that are heavily guided for badger. Any other trappers on here have the same experience with exposed sets? Here are a couple I caught this year that way. #1 with the #2 coil. Wish I could have waited later in the season to trap him, but it was at the request of one of my landowners that he be removed asap!. #2 with the #3dbl was fun to get at, to say the least! He lost my pan shingle somewhere, the son of a buck! LOL

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/07/13 02:51 AM

we are gonna be in the high teens and low 20s for a few days now.I wonder if badgers will tunnel up through the snow to take a peek when it warms up every once in while?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/07/13 02:13 PM

Les, Badgers are becoming almost common "down south in Embarrass". I wouldn't expect to seem them for months though. The camera I set on the hole in my pasture, which was occupied, did not trip until May 10th last year. And last year the lakes opened in March, two months early!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/08/13 12:46 AM

Ah yes,I could'nt figure out what this sign was for the last few years around here,and I know it's badger.The farmland area I trap is just a little above lake level and I'ts all been or is being tiled these days.All my life you could dig a post hole,and come up with water.Thats why I thought we had so few badgers.But it is getting dry now.
Posted By: pkl

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/10/13 02:46 AM

got him today almost two months later
Posted By: J_M

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/29/13 09:29 PM

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/30/13 02:32 AM

and of course seasons over in MN but I'me still watching for signs of spring out.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 04/24/13 05:27 PM

all my badger sign is still froze up with snow on top and the ground is froze,beaver pond ice hasnt started to lift yet.Do badgers even come out when they cant dig Yet?rather,do they scavenge in early spring for while?
Posted By: Trapperzanc

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 07/14/13 05:36 AM

Catch a lot of them on my exposed cat sets.I use Bridger 3modifieds .But any badger in a trap is exciting.I was really diss appointed at what they brought at auction.9.00 when I was expecting like 100.00lol .I guess there fur isn't really in demand .

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/27/13 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Trapperzanc
Catch a lot of them on my exposed cat sets.I use Bridger 3modifieds .But any badger in a trap is exciting.I was really diss appointed at what they brought at auction.9.00 when I was expecting like 100.00lol .I guess there fur isn't really in demand .

Well, badgers are LATE primers, so early badgers won't be worth much.
'Hair' badgers aren't worth skinning, unless you know someone who ties flies for fishing.

Now PRIME silver tipped badgers are worth darn good money, both on the fur market and taxidermy trade.
One should, just like every fur bearer, learn proper fur put up, as a lot of money can be lost if not handled properly.

Don't shoot badgers in the head as that skull is worth another $10. or so.

( Never kill a female badger ! ) wink
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/28/13 01:29 PM

europe to kill 5000 badger endangering

was asked to post this here
Posted By: Mach2

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/28/13 03:14 PM

I love this place.. wink

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 09/01/13 02:38 AM

wink

Yep, a lot of good info on badger trapping.
Posted By: jasonv

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 09/01/13 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: trapper les
all my badger sign is still froze up with snow on top and the ground is froze,beaver pond ice hasnt started to lift yet.Do badgers even come out when they cant dig Yet?rather,do they scavenge in early spring for while?

Frozen ground won't stop them from digging. They are active around here when it is frozen. Dang things will dig a hole in the middle of a frozen gravel road in January.
They likely hole up due to lack of food and to conserve energy when it is freezing.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 09/11/13 04:42 AM

ttt for Iowa Badger
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/19/13 08:04 PM

Glad you guys asked. I live in of all places, The Badger State. Why we are the badger state I have no idea. ( Well at least we have more badgers than the Wolverine State has wolverines ) I have actually caught a half dozen badgers but please don't ask me how many I caught on purpose. I can tell you this; the next badger I catch since I've been in the ADC business ( 25 years ) will be the first.
Posted By: trappermat

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/20/13 04:22 AM

I didnt know what these holes were in a fenceline and I set 2 1.5coils and was really surprised like three days later drove up on the fourwheeler and seen this white thing didnt know whAT it was at first. Then after i shot i saw he was only halfway in one trap and my 3 foot stake in the middle was barely in the ground! i plan to catch a few this winter seen LOTS of sign!!
Posted By: badgerland

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/20/13 09:51 PM

this the time of year when you see alot of digging in our area,seems to coincide with the chipmunks denning up for the winter.one of them can sure dig up the joint...my first trap check today

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/15/13 01:57 AM

Nice pale badger !
Posted By: Poorhornhntr

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/15/13 04:27 AM

Caught one last night in the mountains, in a marten set, by one toe.
Posted By: vegas falconer

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/18/13 08:39 PM

I caught this 1 a few days ago.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/18/13 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Trapperzanc

Well, badgers are LATE primers, so early badgers won't be worth much.
'Hair' badgers aren't worth skinning, unless you know someone who ties flies for fishing.

Now PRIME silver tipped badgers are worth darn good money, both on the fur market and taxidermy trade.
One should, just like every fur bearer, learn proper fur put up, as a lot of money can be lost if not handled properly.

Don't shoot badgers in the head as that skull is worth another $10. or so.

( Never kill a female badger ! ) wink

So how do you dispatch them then?

My trouble with badgers is that we don't have them in MD. But I have family in Montana. One of these days...

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/19/13 05:17 AM

They keep getting in my coon set

They keep getting in my coon sets and coyote sets!!!!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/20/13 12:52 AM

send me a Pm
Posted By: mtncatman

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/21/13 01:50 AM

I wish someone would come up with badger repellant! I have caught six already. I don't care if they are worth more than bobcats. I never kill them, I think I have the only ranch in Wyoming with no prairie dogs. When I first got the place it was one giant colony of prairie dogs. Ten years of not killing badgers and I don't have any. yippee!!!

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/21/13 02:10 AM

Clear out your box LT.
Posted By: EvanJ

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/23/13 09:48 AM

I read through the archives and didnt find much on badgers. I recently got access to 2000 acres of farm land and the farmer is puttin a nice bounty on any badger I get. So I guess I'll start with if I use 18 inch cable stakes what would be a good chain length and how many swivels? And I read through this post and saw someone mentioned exposed sets. Could someone explain how to go about makin a good exposed set and placement for it? If anyone has pictures that would help a lot. Thanks.
Posted By: Poorhornhntr

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/24/13 12:36 AM

I use rebar stakes 20" long with about 20-24" of chain. Never had one dig up my stake.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/24/13 07:22 PM

Thanks, what's the best size trap?
Posted By: mtnpatriot

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/01/13 01:19 AM

Here are the two I caught this year with MB550's.

First:

Second:

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/06/13 02:40 AM

North Dakota has some of the prettiest badgers I've seen.
Posted By: 1.5 coilspring

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/08/13 03:34 AM

In northeastern MT we used to catch them all the time in fox and coyote sets (dirtholes). We just caught them by the neck with a cable catch pole and then got up on the tailgate and let them go. They are all attitude and thick skull but not that big. When released they would routinely trot off a ways and snarl at you as if to say " I ain't skeert of you".

A large late season pale NE Montana (same as ND) badger is not all that common but it is GORGEOUS. Actually, probably my fave.

Oh, and don't ever think they can't move.
Posted By: SoDaker

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/10/13 06:13 AM

That's what I like to see!

Notice the worn, chiseled teeth, old male

Biggest badger I've caught

His feet were huge!

Can you say pale?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/11/13 05:20 AM

SoDaker that's an amazing looking badger! is that a 220? and how did you set them so that when they fired they functioned properly and caught the critter?
Posted By: SoDaker

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/11/13 06:22 AM

Yes, it is a 220, and I take my hammer and I flatten the ground on the bottom part of the hole so that the trap sits just right in there and the I have the springs just about vertical. In the first picture you can see how the ground is flatter and packed in so that the bottom bars of the conibear fit in the hole just perfect. Sometimes I test it just to make sure it will fire correctly

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/12/14 01:45 AM

Yes, I agree to ALWAYS double check those kill traps at a den set.
You get a miss fire, you may not get another chance !
Posted By: whitfield

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 03/02/14 07:17 PM

I would think Kirk De's traps would work quite well.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 05/30/14 09:41 PM

I agree 100 %
Posted By: J_M

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/08/14 05:17 AM

ttt
Posted By: mousie

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/11/14 05:05 PM

i wish we had them here. i ve heard a few are caught but must be released as they are protected.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/17/14 02:30 AM

I've caught very few badgers in Ohio, and all of them were what I would call a 'hair badger'...not the silky pales like they have out west.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/18/14 08:02 PM

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/25/14 01:07 AM

Great pics, MJM !
You're in state that has one of the nicest badgers I've seen !

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/26/14 10:30 PM

Lt, We do have a pretty good badger at the right time of the year. Most badger are caught way to early in the year If I was to choose one month to take badger it would be in February.

A badger and fox video.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203452347367137&fref=nf

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 11/18/14 10:32 PM

Great stuff there, MJM.
North Dakota has one NICE badger, for the most part!
Posted By: mtcurman

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/03/15 08:26 PM

Here's a 26lb male I caught back in November... Basic dirt hole with Weiser's Sucker Punch and June's Widowmaker.

Hind foot in a Northwoods #3, with about 18 inches of chain, and a 20 or 24 inch rebar stake.

Posted By: Bushwack44

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/03/15 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: mtcurman
Here's a 26lb male I caught back in November... Basic dirt hole with Weiser's Sucker Punch and June's Widowmaker.

Hind foot in a Northwoods #3, with about 18 inches of chain, and a 20 or 24 inch rebar stake.

single staked?
Posted By: mtcurman

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/03/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Bushwack44
Originally Posted By: mtcurman

single staked?

Yes.
Posted By: mousie

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/04/15 01:08 AM

pretty nice silver badger. wait. weiser has a lure called sucker punch? andy you holding out on me? lol
Posted By: daisydog12345

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/04/15 02:20 AM

Caugh front right in a dirt hole set on the back side of its den. Used a duke #3 held it good.. The bait I used was cavens predates bait and a rat in the hole

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/04/15 02:32 AM

Didn't load first time

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/04/15 02:38 AM

How am I suppose upload a picture

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/26/15 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: vegas falconer

I caught this 1 a few days ago.

Nice work!
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/27/15 05:35 AM

Here's the best I've ever done. Of course, I live in SW Idaho, so it isn't saying much.

Posted By: Nd native

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 01/29/15 02:15 AM

I sure do love taking badger.. I just hate fleshing badger

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/02/15 07:54 PM

Badgerman 50 ,what time of year was that photo taken ?

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/02/15 08:16 PM

Badgerman 50 ,what time of year was that photo taken ?

Mid summer

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/02/15 09:13 PM

Is this a nuisance complaint you're trapping these on ?
Are you saving the glands ? Claws ? Skulls ?
Seems a waste to kill good badgers when they aren't skinable but, having been a nuisnace trapper for most of my adult life, I understand it's done all the time.
Those just look like they'd be worth some money if they were prime.

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/03/15 01:14 AM

Grazing lease. Nuisance
Posted By: coonhusker

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/03/15 03:20 PM

i don't exactly target them, just like others have said.
one thing i do though, is if i see a ditch bank full of badger digs, old and new mixed, i set the backside of the bank.
it seems everything runs the backside checking those holes. this coyote was caught in that type of set.

one thing ive also found is badger holes are great coyote attractors, like others have said also.

this little one was caught right next to a railroad bed, another great place to catch almost every furbearer in my area!
Posted By: Hollman17

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 02/04/15 01:57 PM

Heres the last one i caught about a week ago, 220 over a den did the trick finally. First couple of checks on this set location kept haveing the 220 knocked over and finally ended up catching one. Have taken all three that i have caught have came off this quarter, two snared on trails and one in a 220
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 12/11/17 05:39 AM

Ttt
Posted By: ambush32

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/19/18 03:44 AM

Ttt

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/23/18 01:20 PM

One of my favorite threads ever.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 10/24/18 02:32 PM

A Montana Badger, that I took a picture of last season.

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 08/21/20 10:59 PM

Ttt

Re: The trouble with Badgers ! - 09/29/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Badgerman50
Here's the best I've ever done. Of course, I live in SW Idaho, so it isn't saying much.

[Linked Image]

That's a great day on badgers, anywhere !
Too bad badgers are late primers !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums