Home

What droppings teach us...

Posted By: LT GREY

What droppings teach us... - 08/21/10 06:30 PM

Tracks and droppings are but a few of the signs that trappers look for to determine animal presence but what does the latter actually show us, except for the obvious?

I have some photos with text that I intend to post on here but would like to give some other trappers a chance to add to this.

Dropping of course, can show us what animals are feeding on at a certain time of year but what else do they teach us about WHERE they leave them ?

Anyone ?
Posted By: CoonBuster

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/21/10 09:10 PM

Teritory??
Posted By: saddletrapper

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/21/10 10:30 PM

I'd have to say territory, And common toilets (ie bobcats)
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/21/10 10:41 PM

Edges of the territory.Nothing makes me happier than to see 15 piles of yote crap in a 1/4 mile stretch of road..A spot where 2 or 3 family groups territories overlap has to be one of the best locations there is.The response to gland lure and urine is awesome.I could be wrong but that is how I read the sign.I might be catching these yotes and not really know why.Same result dead yote.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/21/10 11:00 PM

So was I right?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/21/10 11:04 PM

I'm not sure about what all droppings can teach us, but if I find a spot were there are several piles I will set it hard.The way I look at it if it's a territory thing or not at least the yote feels comfortable there and come through the spot regularly.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/21/10 11:15 PM

But what about mink droppings? Do they only leave those to mark their territory? Or do they just go when they got to?
Thanks,
Tyler
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/21/10 11:52 PM

to watch where we step>
Posted By: Muddy Boots

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/22/10 03:55 PM

Dropping also teach us what they are eating and what they ate last lets u know if their hhungry or not

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/22/10 03:56 PM

That to me looked like a pile of black berries wiley left me a couple of months ago
Posted By: Forrest®

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/22/10 04:02 PM

Species of the animal who left it... During dry summer conditions it can be hard to impossible to find sign.. Dropping can be a good indicator of what species are using the area..
Posted By: COLD HAND

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/23/10 12:37 AM

i agree with yoteguts all the way but teach us something LT
Posted By: trappinia

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/23/10 12:48 AM

They tell us what animals are around, when they were there[ roughly], where their toilets are , and what they are eating.
Posted By: MNCedar

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/23/10 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: yoteguts
A spot where 2 or 3 family groups territories overlap has to be one of the best locations there is.

I agree. I'm never 100% sure if that's the case when I find an area like that...but I've found a few that sure seem to produce, year after year. Makes sense.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/23/10 02:11 AM

Yep everone is interested in who peed where.lol Great spots.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/23/10 02:28 AM

I agree with london. If you know what the species droppings look like, you can tell what is in your area. The diet changes from season to season, so you have to know what you're looking at.
Posted By: Hunter50

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/23/10 04:02 AM

It teach's us who,what, when ,where ,and why.Territories and feeding stations.
Posted By: Short Round

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/23/10 04:09 AM

The area an animal leaves a dropping or multiple droppings can teach us many things. As Paul said you have to know what animal left it behind to begin with before you can begin to gain more information from it.

The content of the droppings can teach us not only what the animal is eating buy how far it traveled from that food source. If there is a scat pile with wild grapes in it and the closest grape vine is 1/4 mile away that can tell you alot. If it is full of corn (and your not in corn country) it can also bring to light how far the animal is traveling to feed. Once this is figured out and the food source is diacovered then you can begin to figure a travel pattern and set along the traveled path, not just the toilet.

Droppings are, as most have stated above an area that might mark a territory boundary. Common toilets can also shed light onto how often an animal(s) are traveling through an area. A timeline in poop as I have told my son once before.
Posted By: USAFtrapper

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/26/10 02:18 AM

For Mink, it can really confirm that you are on location!

Posted By: Jonesie

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/26/10 02:51 AM

they show if the animal is excited or nervous or calm. they show territory, they show what it is feeding on. they show population in a given spot (family groups) or (overlapping territory.) just for a few
Posted By: BudGuidry

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/26/10 06:54 AM

yote poop, yote sets. cat poop, cat sets. fox poop, fox sets. mink poop, mink sets ect.... ect....

a simple equation to the task at hand, capture the target animal or animals by reading the sign they leave behind. droppings can indicate preditor and prey species, travel corridors, population densities, food sorces, territorial boundries, the art of trapping and capturing a target animal isn't all about making the perfect set. studying animal habits and their habitat are important keys to being successful. a successful trapper is one who looks at the big picture and droppings are a big part of the paint used to create that picture

just my opinion which ain't much

Bud

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/26/10 04:14 PM

Hey Jonesie, show us a nervous dropping?

Would that be diarhea ? laugh

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/26/10 09:32 PM

also it lets you know how many are traveling that some route meaning (before i started remaking after a catch i would see a couple turds show up 2-3 days later) so i figuer that there were two more traveling the same road
Posted By: BudGuidry

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/26/10 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Hey Jonesie, show us a nervous dropping?

Would that be diarhea ? laugh

good one LT,

Bud
Posted By: coilspring-teg

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/27/10 02:04 AM

One must also be careful and check how fresh the sign is. If the poop is soft its was 0-24 hours ago, if it has a crust on the outside but the interior is still soft and gives off a fine odor then it is 24-48 hours ago. If it is dry with no smell 48+ hours ago. Wheather also effects the aging of poop too. Obviously in a wet climate it takes longer to dry out and will be harder to tell. For tracks I test the soil right next to it to see what poundage it would take to make an impression the same depth. I'm still working on how to check freshness from tracks. Hopefully I will learn something in this post.

Teg

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/27/10 11:59 PM

Well put, coilspring!
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/28/10 04:25 PM

Go up to the post above mine 3nd picture down! you being a sa here, but you mean to tell me you can't tell when you dog is not right or over excited when hunting birds. or you rabbit or coon dog has been working extra hard by the poop!

you may not see in the field but in wildlife control in the attics you can tell alot of the time if the dropping are loose and you talk to the customer and they have been woking it hard for a week or 2.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 12:10 AM

Never thought 'coons in Ohio could leave a stool pile big enough to "cast a shadow"... but this picture proves even I can be wrong at times! shocked laugh

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 12:13 AM

Anyone recognize the seeds in there?

Even the coyotes are eatting them... wink

Posted By: scott rainbolt

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 12:15 AM

look like persimon or paw paw seeds to me

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 12:58 AM

Good eye but in late August on a coyote job, which grove are you visiting?
That alone may determine your success at locating trails in and out of there. smile

I can always tell how fresh a dropping is by the insect activity.
But does a butterfly lick dung anyway?
Salt?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 01:00 AM

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 01:01 AM

paw paw persimons want ripen til a frost gets em. so around here i would be looking for a deep shade holer

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 01:04 AM

your right i always mark rocks , stumps and logs i see butterfly on for know reason good way to find urin post before season

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 02:46 AM

The seeds in the first dropping picture look like wild plum seeds. And in the last two pictures it looks like they are eating a lot of corn. I love setting wild plum thickets trails are easy to find, but gotta watch out for their little thorns around here.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 02:50 PM

Wild plum thickets are major attractions when the fruit falls.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/10 02:51 PM

we dont have many wild plum here
Posted By: shorthair

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/30/10 07:44 AM

ttt
Posted By: Short Round

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/02/10 09:19 PM

ttt
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/02/10 10:03 PM

And most important of all: WATCH WHERE YOU'RE WALKING!!!
Posted By: MChewk

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/02/10 11:57 PM

Sure those are seeds Tony? As around here we see alot of June Bugs in scats. We don't have alot of wild plums around here either.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/03/10 07:03 PM

Certain times of the year you will also see grasshopper parts that do not digest well and also fruit "skins."

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/03/10 11:29 PM

yea around here in a few weeks when bow season opens be full of deer hair

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/04/10 06:12 PM

Do raccoons place there poop in any certain spot like territory edges, toilets areas or to mark den trees? Or do they just go were ever?
Posted By: furslinger

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/05/10 03:33 AM

probally get rocked here but ill say it anyhow. What about the size of the droppings? Especially k9s and cats. It can tell you if your dealing with pups or adults, adult toms or kittens. Which could lead to other factors how you set up an area. Just my view and i do concider it when i examine droppings.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/05/10 05:51 PM

Very well thought out, furslinger. I find myself doing the same.
Posted By: BoyerWNC

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/05/10 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: coilspring-teg
Do raccoons place there poop in any certain spot like territory edges, toilets areas or to mark den trees? Or do they just go were ever?

I think they just go when nature calls.

I find em in to many odd places, and only rarely with several piles in one spot. When I do, It's river coons, and not forest coon.

Not sure though!

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/06/10 12:43 AM

I know they have a place outside den trees...
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/06/10 12:53 AM

Biggest thing that droppings tell me is that the animal that left it is in the area enought to have left it and in my opinion will be back. If he it didn't feel comfortable enough to have left that dropping in that area, than I wouldn't have found it. Means I'm on location. Make a set.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/06/10 08:42 PM

I think these are fruit "skins" but not 100% sure.

Posted By: fur_minator

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/07/10 01:30 AM

I have been finding several droppings that have corn in them. They also have hair in them and are in the same locations I find yote droppings. It's hard to tell for sure what the source is due to the unusual consistancy from the corn but I'm sure its coyote.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/07/10 10:34 AM

Coyotes will certainly eat corn, especially sweet corn.
Posted By: Trap-N-Hunt

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/07/10 06:21 PM

Corn field yote's, besides corn, will normally come with lots of feral (or tame) cat hair...around here anyway.
Posted By: curiouscat

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/07/10 06:43 PM

Will bobcats eat grasshoppers?
Posted By: Drew 33

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/08/10 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: furslinger
probally get rocked here but ill say it anyhow. What about the size of the droppings? Especially k9s and cats. It can tell you if your dealing with pups or adults, adult toms or kittens. Which could lead to other factors how you set up an area. Just my view and i do consider it when i examine droppings.

I have trouble nailing scat down to species. Could you all explain to me some of the key differences in juvenile bobcat droppings and an adult red fox. I know I am on cat sign when I find a toilet, well usually, but the cats and red fox have me stumped. I can usually rule out one species or other on the basis of habitat but by scat I really struggle. All tips would be much appreciated. Great Thread. I love talking poo.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/08/10 01:37 AM

This is not trapping related per say but has anyone ever heard that coagulated deer droppings are from male whitetail deer. I always thought it was a product of the deers diet but a biologist told me that during the rut hormone changes cause a bucks scat to coagulate and it is always buck scat. He seemed sincere but I am not sure if this is true. Not trying to hi jack thread, after all it is poo poo related.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/08/10 01:59 AM

telling bobcat and red fox poo is some timmes a challenge. I'm by no means a professional but hear are some tips I use. If the droppings are partly fresh and you have a good tracking medium to look for tracks, you can tell the difference in the stide as the animal walks/trots away. Also bobcats diets consist of close to 90% rabbit/hare. So look for bunny rabbit fur in the dropping. Foxes lack the front claws to catch speedy rabbits so more often than not their droppings will contain something else.
As far as shape the red's poop is usually on semi conected strand. And the bobcats should be clumped periodically, if it is a healthy cat that is.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/08/10 02:32 PM

'Cat droppings (at least what I've found), are mostly in segments almost like Tootsie Roll candy. Just like a common house cat. Even tiger and lion droppings are this way. Not so much with canines.
Posted By: furslinger

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/08/10 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Drew 33
Originally Posted By: furslinger
probally get rocked here but ill say it anyhow. What about the size of the droppings? Especially k9s and cats. It can tell you if your dealing with pups or adults, adult toms or kittens. Which could lead to other factors how you set up an area. Just my view and i do consider it when i examine droppings.

I have trouble nailing scat down to species. Could you all explain to me some of the key differences in juvenile bobcat droppings and an adult red fox. I know I am on cat sign when I find a toilet, well usually, but the cats and red fox have me stumped. I can usually rule out one species or other on the basis of habitat but by scat I really struggle. All tips would be much appreciated. Great Thread. I love talking poo.

regardless of the maturity a bobcat you can usually tell a difference in the color of his droppings as compared to canines. A bobcats stool will usually start to gray in color quickly as it starts to age. There will normally be little fragments of bone and hair, claws etc: in a bobcats stool. A red fox may or may not have this all the time and of course depending on what time of year it is very common to find fruit seeds,berry seeds, grasshopper parts,etc:in fox droppings. and sometimes it may be in a partial liquid state. A bobcats diet and a foxes diet are very similar with the exception of fruit particles and related substances that most likely wont be found in a cats stool. This is just some of the differences. One thing that will help you immensly and is foolproof is to actually open the vent of the next fox and or cat you catch and study its contents thoroughly. File this away in your mind and the next time you go go on your line you may be surprised how quickly you can recognize what left that pile of poop and what his diet consist of. Hope this helps you out some.
Posted By: larry sable guy

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/09/10 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: MChewk
Sure those are seeds Tony? As around here we see alot of June Bugs in scats. We don't have alot of wild plums around here either.

Also, when the crickets are thick as lice, I notice tarry black fox stool and always thought they were eating crickets. maybe not?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/11/10 05:39 AM

thanks for the advice Coilspring, Lt, and fruslinger.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/12/10 06:24 PM

When is the last time you saw a dropping with hands?

Posted By: ATLTrapper

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/12/10 06:29 PM

Half hour ago for me why do you ask? smirk lol Is that a frog?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/12/10 06:42 PM

Yep. Undigested at that...
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/12/10 07:45 PM

If its predator turds, I'm setting it, red fox or cat or whatever!!

I compare cat scat to a kind of tar-like lump as opposed to the actual poop segments of fox. Its hard to pin-point unless you have them side by side a lot to compare, and even then they can look alike.

I also heard that about buck poop. Clumps in more of a wad then the pellets.

Just what I know, with a little speculation wink

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/02/10 12:18 AM

Fox pup vs Boss Dog Coyote

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/02/10 07:55 PM

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/02/10 07:57 PM

Why is it canines eat grass again?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/02/10 08:18 PM

Do animals want others of their kind to see their droppings?
Is it a way to mark a territory or boundry?
Why would an animal back up to leave a dropping up high like this?
I think I know...do you?

( Piece of concrete at an old gravel pit lane.)

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/02/10 08:25 PM

Here's another photo of a pile of droppings on (what looks to be) a paint spill on an old asphalt road at an abandon strip mine.
Why here?
Because it stood out?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/02/10 08:39 PM

Two droppings picked up a week apart about a hundred yards between them on the same trail.
Same coyote?
Same M.O. ?
You be the judge...
Posted By: BANGTAIL

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/03/10 03:25 PM

[quote=LT GREY]

My domestics do it when they have an upset stomach. I think the grass twists around chunks of bone and hair to help it through the digestive system. This is just a guess, but my dogs find lots of roadkill so I see the grass often.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/03/10 07:56 PM

LT do they leave there droppings in high visual places to broadcast their presents in an area?
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/03/10 10:34 PM

What kind of animal leaves this kind of scat? There is hair and small parts of berries in it. I'm guessing red fox, but am new to the game...ttt

Posted By: cme4293

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/04/10 09:32 PM

I know that most of this thread is about predators but how about a water line, muskrats often "go" on a log and leave a musk smell there, anyone have a good picture off this?
Posted By: inthetallgrass

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/05/10 01:10 AM

They teach us a coyote has been there! They sure use them as territorial boundry markers along with urine and vocal communication. What is really good is when you find droppings of different sizes and alot of fresh droppings durring the fall it means your on a dispersal route alot of times. A good friend and co worker uses rocks at these areas and they will mark them year after year and he sets these mainly with m-44's you can really tell them as they will be the darkest and tallest grass in the pasture. You could blend in a foot trap and add nothing to it and catch those coyotes, dragging would be best to poreserve the location.

Coyotes eat about anything, here the month of august mainly grasshopper droppings, but about anything and everything.
Posted By: TravC

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/05/10 05:02 AM

this isnt a dropping but i figured you fine folks would find it interesting...........i will take pictures of dropping on my line this same color (dark purple) not plumbs mind you........coyote intestines th whole inside is dyed reddinsh purple...........this happensfrom sep to early november here

i will post an answer in a few days...........its very interesting for trappers in the south west and usualy right in front of your eyes..........and is a very useful resource in lure or bait
Posted By: coon trappr

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/05/10 06:28 AM

poke berries

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/05/10 09:06 PM

poke berry? nope

will post pics of dropping tommorow didnt geta chance today
Posted By: Chad023

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/05/10 09:16 PM

prickly pear

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/05/10 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Chad023
prickly pear

got er did
Posted By: Pinebear

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/06/10 12:01 AM

Dakotaboy...probably gray fox not red due to the seeds as reds are carnivores, grays are omnivores I believe.
Posted By: Chad023

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/06/10 04:12 AM

TravC do you have any tricks for making Prickly Pear bait? I've been thinking about trying something for the past few days. The pears around my house are going fast.
Posted By: Trap-N-Hunt

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/06/10 07:12 PM

Was that puked up or crapped out? Its believed they eat it to purge bile from their stomach

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/07/10 12:02 PM

It's a dropping.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/07/10 12:25 PM

Funny thing happened at Locklear's Advanced Trapping School.
We pull up to a culvert with about a 6-8 students.
On top of the concrete crossover are piles of coyote and bobcat droppings. A couple of the students jumped out and start gathering up the droppings like they were pickin' up Easter eggs...
I laughed so hard I almost cried. But,those were the ones that were ahead of the class, IMO !

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/09/10 06:38 PM

these dropping tell me a cougar came in about a week ago and marked this territory with droppings. then it came back this morning and dumped on the same pile. the droppings have deer hair and... possibly juniper berries. I knew the droppings were fresh by the steam coming off them. its hard to tell in the pic but the fresh droppings were a reddish lite brown color.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/09/10 11:36 PM

I'd either be nervous or set that up with a 750 !

Can you trap cougars in Oregon?
Posted By: STEEL NECK TIE

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/10/10 12:41 PM

Lol LT. I guess looking back me and my buddy did look like 2 kids on Easter morning.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/10/10 04:21 PM

I'd either be nervous or set that up with a 750 !

Can you trap cougars in Oregon?

yes you can trap cougar in oregon if they kill your livestock. It killed one th3ere last april or may and i dont know how long after the kill you can trap it. there seems to be a there a grey area as to that.
dont tell anybody but i set it up with two #5's next to the dung and another pile of cougar dunk on the opposite side those traps with some cougar gland/urine mix on a piece of the sheep hoof it killed. chained the traps to a tree 15 feet away with logger chain. Im hoping the heavy chain will take up some shock and allow the cougar to get into the thicket where it feels more comfortable and won't fight the trap so much. One trap is a Bridger Alaskan Wolf trap and the other is a beefed up CDR Wolf and lion trap (now out of production).

I cant sleep at night with that big cat that close to my livestock and do nothing.
I had a good discussion on this forum last spring. someone said I might have a long weight for it to return, several months. Id given up on it returning and then here it is 7 months latter.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/10/10 05:39 PM

I didn't place any guide rocks or sticks just plugged in a couple of traps and lured it up.
scent station predator set:

this double pile of droppings taught me I was previously off on my location. I previously thought the lion had come around from the other side of the pod. Now I believe it was coming right down off the mountain, across the highway and I've the fence in the west corner of the pond where a tree had blown over across the fence. It can get water right there in the corner of my property and leave back out the way it comes in.

It has to cross the highway, busy in the day but traffic is light in the wee hours of morning. Ive never in my life seen a cougar killed/hit next to the highway. I think they must listen for a break in traffic and quickly dash across.

I may have deterred this cougar from my property just by repairing and building a higher fence. Droppings tell us everything about location and an animals territorial boundaries.
Posted By: fur_minator

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/12/10 02:03 AM

I found this yesterday.

The funny thing is that it is on the edge of my yard. I have a wooden box with a dermestid beetle colony in it. There is alot of smell that comes from the box and I guess the yote thought it was worthy of a dump.

Here is the dropping as it layed on the ground just about 20 feet from my bait buckets and beetles.

My dog is kept in the yard by an underground wire 20 yards from here. Hope the yote isn't marking the dog for a future meal.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/12/10 05:45 PM

Jayirvin,
Man, wish you were closer. I 've got a pile of #8 DLS LPC's ready to go...

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/12/10 06:16 PM

Ive wished many time I could get you here Lt Grey. You know more ways to catch a predator than there are ways. We can only set a trap with a 9 inch jaw spread if it isn't in a kill type situation I think it is.

the dropping I used were fresh last spring but i dried them this summer. It rained hard and they puffed up in-spite of the glycerin id pored and painted on them. The rain didn't change the look of the real cougar dropping at all.

So far there's no sign of the cougar coming back it. Could be another 6 months. Maybe the fencing detoured the predator.
Posted By: inthetallgrass

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/12/10 09:41 PM

jayervin if a big lion your #5;s will look like a bunch of bent up metal when you come back! Many don't understand the power of a larger lion and what kind of trap one needs to hold them, staked even more on a drag as well. Larger lions will test traps like no other animal there is.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/17/10 12:56 AM

I found another calling card the cougar left.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/27/10 05:35 PM

Lot of deer hair in that one? Wonder what it's been eatting? smile
Posted By: watermann

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/28/10 08:37 PM

I found droppings on a set this morning . Fox I think . But it left the bait undisturbed. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/28/10 08:59 PM

That's a real good ( and common) question...

Anyone want to share some thoughts on this, before I do ?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/29/10 01:26 AM

I checked a set today and there was i dropping on it . It was a rabbit baited dirt hole with grey fox lure . Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/29/10 01:28 AM

Well ... so...whats the anewer ,,?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/29/10 01:28 AM

A male just marking his territory ?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 11/22/10 10:46 PM

Just curious why you 'thought' it was a male ?

But yes, marking it's territory....and a specific point of interest!
Posted By: Walleyemike

Re: What droppings teach us... - 11/22/10 11:16 PM

Thanks Grey, I thought this was possibly the case. My next question and I guess I'll find out is will he investigate my set now enough for a catch or do I pick a fight ie gland lure or urine at this sets backing. I think I will wait a while and then if no more action I will transplant a turd from another critter near the backing and hit the backing with some pee. I will keep you posted.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 11/29/10 03:26 PM

That would be the way I would do it. That canine is "marking" it's territory and by YOU doing it right beside it will sure draw a lot of interest, next time through...

Just be sure to go UPWIND from the place it left it's mark and blend in the trap well. Never hurts to AGE a set of this nature, although leave the droppings fresh.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/04/10 11:41 PM

Still finding a good many solid grass droppings in late November.

Wonder why that is...

Here's one that is 'coughed up', so it isn't a dropping.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/06/10 04:11 PM

Dropping on a trail up 8" high off the ground on a grass tuff.
Was that done so 'everyone' would see it ?
Posted By: LockJaw

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/18/10 01:41 AM

I found a pile of crap today that had been mostly covered up with pine straw and leaves. It was on a little road threw the woods i ride threw. What kind of animal wouldve done that? Seems kinda like a cat?
Posted By: Krustyklimber

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/19/10 02:32 AM

Drew,

In general, around here, 'cat scat differs from canine (foxes, of any type, are rare here) in that 'cat scat is "pinched" (or "twisted") at one end.

Krusty
Posted By: barkspud

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/19/10 04:16 AM

Lt could i ask what do you mean by aging a set in your reply on Walleyemikes set?
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/19/10 09:18 PM

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/26/10 11:40 PM

"Aging a set" is done by using a mist sprayer,( I use the gallon size) and spraying an entire set with a light mist of water. The sun will dry this forming a light crust, thus aging the set!
Posted By: alpine hunter

Re: What droppings teach us... - 03/18/11 08:40 AM

or so 'everyone' would smell it. The smell will potentially carry further. The other side to this could be 'look at how big I am - I can turd right up high so I am dominant'

Re: What droppings teach us... - 03/19/11 01:27 AM

i tend to beleive that eating grass is for two reasons 1 to induce vomiting on an upset stomach and two to try to get rid of worms.

what are your thaughts?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 06/08/11 02:07 AM

Alpine hunter, that makes me think about a few things, such as , if it fact it wasn't an Alpha that scent marks that way...
Posted By: sagittalCrest

Re: What droppings teach us... - 06/29/11 03:38 AM

How about 5' (five feet) off the ground? Please see my post & video links under "Scat ID" I'd value your imput, and I like your Socratic writing style.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 07/18/11 11:26 PM

5 feet? I guess I'm missing the punch line here.... crazy
Posted By: sagittalCrest

Re: What droppings teach us... - 07/19/11 10:47 AM

that's 'cause there isn't any punch line... i put up 2 short videos of fisher toilets, 1 = 5' off ground the other 12'
Posted By: Freepop

Re: What droppings teach us... - 07/19/11 12:38 PM

When is the last time you saw a dropping with hands?

Last fall
Posted By: MNCedar

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/31/11 02:38 PM

TTT

Re: What droppings teach us... - 11/13/11 02:04 AM

Freepop, well, there ya' go, then ! laugh

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/01/12 03:51 AM

Another Great thread back to the top. smile
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/03/12 01:34 AM

Scoutguard trailcam 1/28/12

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/03/12 04:03 PM

Ponyboy, he's lookin' right at you in that camara...you sure he isn't sendin' you some kind of message...? laugh
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/04/12 01:14 AM

I believe he is......... But what do you think he is thinking ?
Posted By: hunter 6555

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/05/12 09:25 PM

i take my dogs walking through some trapping ground out back of my house and they always poop in the same areas every time and it has caused the coyotes to do the same they get really crazy where my male lab poops then scratches
Posted By: Archer156

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/12/12 10:27 PM

What does beaver scat look like? I found what I think is a beaver tolet up on the bank above the beaver slides that I'm set up my snares on and there are three piles of scat about 5 to 10 feet apart! Here is a picture!

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/12/12 10:35 PM

What animal leaves scat on top of a tree that they cross? I think I have picture of it too!

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/12/12 10:38 PM

I made a set on the log to see what it is and here is the picture of the set!

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/16/12 03:05 AM

Raccoon !

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/17/12 01:15 PM

Which one is raccoon?
Posted By: THECRAZYONE

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/18/12 01:47 AM

Ok I have a question why would a boss dog scat look almost white and void of fur.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/19/12 02:03 AM

It's the FAT CONTENT of what the coyote is eating !

Ever skin a winter deer ?
Posted By: THECRAZYONE

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/19/12 02:30 AM

Thanks LT and yes on allot of deer,it's my first year going after the Yotes.
Posted By: Gulo Gulo

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/19/12 08:22 PM

I believe the white chalky scats are crushed up digested bone. Why do you think it is fat and not bone? How does one turn fat into a powdery substance like chalk?

More relevant to the rest of the thread, I think it's funny when you have a large coyote scat and then a little twisted (guessing some sort of weasel) scat right ontop of the dogs mound. It always seemed really ballsy to me that they would do that, and I wonder if the dogs notice when they come back, and what they might think of it.

Props if anyone can guess what animal left this.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/19/12 11:18 PM

otter
Posted By: ridgecomber

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/24/12 01:08 AM

I'll go with otter also

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/27/12 02:58 PM

well, Gulo Gulo ?
Posted By: Gulo Gulo

Re: What droppings teach us... - 03/02/12 03:54 AM

I figured you were all going to say otter, being fur trappers. I believe it was actually a bald eagle pellet though as it was on a 4 ft high stump, near a place where otters are rare. An eagle flew away from the stump when we approached.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 03/02/12 04:06 PM

Yes, well Eagles are very visual and also carrion eaters.
Which (might) explain why the eagle was there.
Then again...
It looks like regurgitation more than stool ...at least to me.
Otters often do this.
This looks to me like it has a lot of SHELL content to it.
Never saw an eagle eat a mussel, shell and all... wink but I could be wrong.
Posted By: winecupcat

Re: What droppings teach us... - 03/03/12 02:49 AM

In reference to coyotes pooping up high in grass, brush, etc. Almost everytime the cowboy crew on the ranch where i work trailers out somewhere to gather cows everyones dogs bail and and commence to poop and pee all over the place and interestingly enough quite often crapping in sage brush or rabbit brush as high up as they can. I have never seen them do this in the yard only out in the brush. What do you guys think
Posted By: G-Trapper

Re: What droppings teach us... - 03/03/12 03:28 AM

there marking terretory

Re: What droppings teach us... - 04/25/12 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: winecupcat
In reference to coyotes pooping up high in grass, brush, etc. Almost everytime the cowboy crew on the ranch where i work trailers out somewhere to gather cows everyones dogs bail and and commence to poop and pee all over the place and interestingly enough quite often crapping in sage brush or rabbit brush as high up as they can. I have never seen them do this in the yard only out in the brush. What do you guys think

I believe they do it to get it noticed more...
Posted By: Brett

Re: What droppings teach us... - 06/09/12 04:47 AM

Ttt
)
Posted By: ccary

Re: What droppings teach us... - 06/29/12 12:13 PM

Lmao, ive seen it.
I know you likem!
laugh
Posted By: WAUrbanTrapper

Re: What droppings teach us... - 06/30/12 05:51 AM

Then again...
Otters often do this.

You are both correct. Raptors regurgitate 'castings' which are pellets of indigestible matter from their crop.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/26/12 12:53 PM

It's the FAT CONTENT of what the coyote is eating !

Ever skin a winter deer ?

Saw this and thought I would throw in what I know. I keep my 2 Malamutes on a raw meat diet, when possible. They do do very well on it. When they are getting plenty of bone as they are supposed to. The scat is hard and very white with little smell. Yotes have the same type scat when they are eating from large prey that have the fur and guts gone. So, in a way, it is fat content but I would say more accurate would be bone content.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/05/12 02:10 PM

I have a comment I not seen yet on this post. I think animals defficate before they do something. Coons leave droppings on the side of the road in the brush or on a high spot before they cross the road. I see it in timbered areas more than prarie. Why? I think they want to get rid of it so they can go quicker across the road.
I think canines do mark their teritory with droppings- sometimes you see smaller parts of droppings that they tried to squeeze out to make their mark but other times you see bigger droppings. Maybe they just have a favorite spot to go or they want to wait till they get to the edge of their territory. I think they just go when they have to also. The high spots covered with coyote scat make sense to me that they are leaving their calling cards for others. Sometimes they howl from those spots too so it leads me to believe it is a comfortable spot fot them becuase they spend time there with the other coyotes in their pack. I think there is not only one reason (sometimes no reason other than they have to go) they leave droppings- I haven't seen one yet that can count to 2 so it may be linked more to instinct or being exited about something more than a thought?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/09/12 08:37 PM

Interesting point, but I think they are marking the area. 'Coons usually have toilet areas, like 'cats.
Canines ? Different story.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/17/13 05:12 PM

TTT
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/17/13 11:47 PM

Trappers have a lot of $h.t to remember !!!

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/19/13 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Nessmuck
Trappers have a lot of $h.t to remember !!!

grin ...ain't it the truth !
Posted By: Fudd

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/27/13 01:40 AM

I've been finding a lot of this scat on field edges, appears to be mostly bugs and a little grass. I can usually find yote tracks within a few yards of the scat, but there's seldom rhyme or reason for the location. Is this typical of young coyote? Or am I completely off the mark?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/27/13 02:18 AM

Anyone recognize the seeds in there?

Even the coyotes are eatting them... wink

were these persimmon seeds or Plum Lt.?? isit coons that eat persimmons seed ? and looks like yotes too!

The other pics with corn..is that coon scat??

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/28/13 02:07 AM

Wild Plum but yes, persimmon seeds are similar, just later in the fall.
Posted By: sempergumby

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/11/14 04:08 AM

Posted By: Marty

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/11/14 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: sempergumby

Those look like deer droppings.... laugh

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/11/14 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty
Originally Posted By: sempergumby

Those look like deer droppings.... laugh
Posted By: Sting

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/11/14 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: WAUrbanTrapper
Then again...
Otters often do this.

You are both correct. Raptors regurgitate 'castings' which are pellets of indigestible matter from their crop.

I guess that explains why I found two crawfish claws on top of a gopher mound 100 yds from a pond. I kept wondering "how did they get here?"

Re: What droppings teach us... - 05/15/14 02:23 PM

We see a lot of crawfish far from water here.
They burrow down deep in the ground clear down to the water table and will stay there for months.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 10/23/16 05:20 AM

Another Great Thread !
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/19/17 03:16 PM

Ttt
Posted By: wrh1971

Re: What droppings teach us... - 12/19/17 10:15 PM

This one is green/olive drab. How about that!?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 02/21/18 10:13 PM

Fruity Pebbles will do that ! wink
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/21/20 02:07 AM

Ttt
Posted By: thedude055

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/24/20 04:04 PM

I love these old Lt Grey threads. I also really like the style for thread like posts where a question brings more input to the table than an observation does.

For a short time a few years ago i was living in an apartment complex while i was waiting to close on a house. we had two dogs while we were there and had to walk them constantly and pick up poo. Not my ideal funtime with my dog but oh well. My male lab was very odd at this. He was always a farm dog and had never had a fence before or limits so this was hard for him to adapt to. His Poo runs though grew very interesting to me and they never changed everyday he would go. He had a path and spots he had to smell along the way. Always smelling the same spots everyday. Finally always going near the mailboxes in almost the same spot everyday. He was a territorial un fixed male. My other dog a young at the time female sheltie would go kind of wherever she needed. still smelling along the way but always in a different spot. One day all of a sudden my lab changed his pattern. He started backing into a big bush and going right in the bush. As high as he could get it. That continued on until we left the apartment after two months.

what was the difference why the change? The only thing i could think of is a new couple moved in on the other side of the complex and had a big male Shepherd. Right around the time Chester started changing his habits. Since then i have always wondered way more poo and its part of the culture than just waste. I have never really been able to put it all together yet but i think acknowledging that it is something more than just waste is a good start for me.

There is some great informaiton in this thread and thanks for reviving it.
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/25/20 12:12 AM

This thread is full of crap...
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/26/20 01:05 PM

So, how about coyote dropping left when they refuse a set? Nervousness? I've had them do it when they refuse to go through a blind set too. Love snow, its a great teacher and a great way to learn humility.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/28/20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by trapperman222
This thread is full of crap...

I just spit my drink all over the screen laugh

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/29/20 01:52 AM

I started dumping butcher scraps a few days ago.
I've picked up 10 piles of droppings from coyotes in the last few days.
Coyotes were clearly marking the area !
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/04/22 03:04 AM

Ttt
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/04/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoyerWNC
Originally Posted by coilspring-teg

I think they just go when nature calls.

I find em in to many odd places, and only rarely with several piles in one spot. When I do, It's river coons, and not forest coon.

Not sure though!

Around here the coon definitely don't just go wherever, as a rule. There's specific landmarks that you can almost bet will have coon droppings. Certain big trees that stand out, whether or not they are dens. Big logs that stand out. They love to poop on those. In the swamps you will find the coon poo on hummocks that are higher, and old beaver and rat huts.
If you find a big toilet you should set it, but sometimes they will move on to another food source.
Fox and coyote also go in somewhat predictable spots. Look for those little stand out features and bare spots. It's almost like they don't want to have anything scratch their behind as they go.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/08/22 12:01 AM

I agree with PAskinner

Raccoon definitely have areas that they mark with feces.

We called them 'toilet stations' , same with otters
Posted By: wetdog

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/08/22 12:10 AM

What's this one trying to tell me?
[Linked Image]
I feel like it's a message.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/08/22 12:18 AM

Can honestly say I’ve only found one “toilet” and it wasn’t even in this country. Came across a bobcat toilet in Mexico, didn’t even know they did that. There had to have been 30-40 piles of scat in about a 3ft diameter circle. The guide thought I was nuts examining it, lol. Other than that I’ve only ever found maybe one or two piles somewhat close to one another, and that’s any type of scat.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/08/22 11:09 AM

I have seen some piles left by brown bears.
I learned that a brown bear can really show off by diameter and pile size.
I also learned that in areas frequented by brown bears and their concentrated droppings that I should move up or downstream to fish.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/09/22 01:39 PM

I'm trying to learn about Otter sign. Found a huge rock on the river recently that has scat piles all over, must have been 25 piles. I thought it was coon at first, but I'm still not sure about that one. It's all crayfish parts. When I found otter scat before it would be just one pile. What do the otter trappers think?
It wasn't a place where I could find tracks.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/09/22 09:01 PM

If there is vomit there also, it is otter. Otter make toilets and will use them whenever they pass through, they will crap and vomit there. Great place to trap them if it is on a log or peninsula of land, might be tough to bed a trap on a rock.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/10/22 12:00 PM

Never saw this before. West side of Little Rock north side of a commercial business. Creek near by. Looks like a cigarette fibers. Feces is the thickness of a finger and 4-5” long.

Attached picture E9A61568-6B25-4DEE-B52C-6E38060471C3.jpeg
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/10/22 12:57 PM

Canine droppings on a road could indicate that a trail crosses the road. The trail might not be very obvious.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/10/22 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R
Canine droppings on a road could indicate that a trail crosses the road. The trail might not be very obvious.

I was talking about the shadow. Lol
This is why they poop is there
[Linked Image]
There is a farm lane to the left of the pic
Posted By: HoosierTrapper07

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/10/22 11:51 PM

I'm new to this. Bobcat? I found it right on the stump as it is in the picture. I can't imagine anything else squatting on a stump. Lots of little bones in it as well.

[Linked Image]

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/11/22 03:03 AM

wetdog,

Canines, and coyotes, in particular, will leave droppings on roads and gravel or dirt lanes, not only where they cross them, but also where they know the droppings will be seen by other coyotes traveling that travel them. The more open and bare a road is, the more a dropping will stand out.
Coyotes instinctively know this.
They are claiming this road as theirs.
A boundary marker, of sorts.
Canines mark boundaries of territories with droppings as well as urine.
They also mark points of interest.
'Scent' will cause them to do this and knowing that, can be beneficial to the observant trapper.
Even 'scent' you place !

HoosierTrapper07,
Bobcat droppings are usually segmented, like a 'tootsie roll'.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/11/22 10:51 AM

Good info Lt. I collect poop and the poop maker's there every year

Have you ever seen where a mink poops on other poop?
It's mostly on deer but I've seen it on coon and yote also.
Just thought it to be odd.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/11/22 04:45 PM

Has anyone ever seen where a beaver has left scat on dry land?I've never seen this. While all other critters will crap on dry ground or some type of dry surface. Mink like to crap on the top of metal or concrete culverts.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/11/22 04:54 PM

Beav, they like to poop on my mink boxes to.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/11/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by wetdog
Good info Lt. I collect poop and the poop maker's there every year

Have you ever seen where a mink poops on other poop?
It's mostly on deer but I've seen it on coon and yote also.
Just thought it to be odd.

Yes and have photographed it on coyote scat around pond dams.

Dang, I wish I knew how to post a photo on TMan.
Thousands of photos and can't post a single one.
Where is Wolfie when I need him ?

"Wolfieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. . ." laugh
Posted By: Hern

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/12/22 10:34 AM

Fishers like to leave scat on Log Cubbies grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/13/22 09:34 PM

HT07, that looks like an owl pellet?

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/14/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
HT07, that looks like an owl pellet?

Owl pellets are found beneath trees where owls frequent.
They are not, to the best of my knowledge, found out in the open, (unless you're on the tundra and it's a Snowy Owl.)

A single dropping left behind on a 'cut-off ', is a common occurrence with predators.
In fact, I have mimicked that and caught a good number of coyotes with little more than a dropping on a ground-level stump.

A dark dropping will stand out a long way at a location like this, especially near a clearing or a trail.

Try it sometime on your own trap line with a well-blended trap and you'll be happy with the results. wink
Posted By: Hern

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/17/22 11:27 AM

What is thishere Otter teaching me?
Along the Susquehanna
Old and Fresh droppings on this log...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bearcat2

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/17/22 02:12 PM

Where to set a trap? Toilet logs are good places to trap otters.

Re: What droppings teach us... - 08/29/22 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
Where to set a trap? Toilet logs are good places to trap otters.

Anywhere there is a 'toilet station', should tell you that multiple animals are coming there, repeatedly.

In layman's terms : that's a hot shot !
Posted By: doublebrick

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/03/22 02:51 AM

Hey there, it's the second time I have seen this dropping on my property. It's in an area close to my cottage, sandy soil, where there's plenty of voles' tunnels. The animal in question is pooping right on top of collapsed tunnels (both times). I have seen a mink on my property last spring. This piece of crap looks to big for stoat that are common in the area, too small for a cat. I'm quite new to trapping, I have only been trapping squirrels that are like a plague around here. Found it kind of weird. I have set up a live cage with freshly killed squirrel around my brush pile, who knows. [Linked Image]

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/07/22 03:46 PM

The shadow does. . . wink

* what makes you think that isn't a red fox, who is actually out there catching those voles ?

That live trap would be far better set up the way they do for bobcats using live bait, but it greatly depends on the size ( height / width ) of the trap.
Not all cage traps are created equal !
Posted By: doublebrick

Re: What droppings teach us... - 09/09/22 09:58 PM

It might be, found another dropping that looks like foxes dropping but small. [Linked Image]

I think I'm just gonna left it alone if it hunts the rodents. Kind of confused when they would (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) directly on top of them though lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums