Home

Trap line dogs. Let's see yours.

Posted By: Trav Mt.

Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 01:57 AM

This is my 1st trap line dog. Meet Gus, he is 1/2 heeler 1/4 beagle and 1/4 mountain cur. He is just 1 year old and doing great. He is very good around sets/catches and has helped me pick out locations that have connected. He is good company to have along in the truck also. LOL

Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 02:32 AM

I haven't had any critters in front of her yet shes only 4 months old but will chase cats like no tommorrow
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 02:57 AM

Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Trav Mt.
This is my 1st trap line dog. Meet Gus, he is 1/2 heeler 1/4 beagle and 1/4 mountain cur. He is just 1 year old and doing great. He is very good around sets/catches and has helped me pick out locations that have connected. He is good company to have along in the truck also. LOL

Gorgeous animal. Now I want one...
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

what breed of dog is it?
Posted By: rss

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 03:42 AM

There's nothing better than a good dog that goes everywhere with you.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Yes sir
Originally Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

what breed of dog is it?

Blue Lacy
Posted By: etxwoods

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 03:57 AM

Got a blue male as a pup. Will be 5 in April. Goes back to Jim Brooks stock from here in Tx. A good all around dog, but likes people a little too much to suit me. Never meets a stranger. First hogs he ever saw, he bayed & held at 10 mo old. First trapped coyote trail I put him on, he found. Trees coons & squirrels fairly well. Is a bay or tree dog, not a catch dog. Minds well and easy to call in. Blue
Lacey's are the official state dog breed of Texas.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 06:35 AM

How do you keep tour dogs from getting into it with the catch ? I love my English shepherd he is disciplined , but he feels the need to fight with every trapped animal on the line.
Posted By: Meathunter1978

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 10:39 AM

This is Patsy. Half Ridgeback half lab. She listens well but wants to fight anything that growls. She now wears a correction collar on the line to stop her. 72 lbs. of muscle. And she makes a good couch potato.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 11:13 AM

Not really a trapping dog but she goes just about every where with me. 1/2 lab 1/2 American Eskimo. She's 14 but still thinks she 2 so we have to watch it now and take it slow.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 01:34 PM

Trav, that pup I got from you is the best. She's sweet to people and aggressive to yotes. Dixie is her name.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 02:01 PM

Two years ago, I got a Hangin' Tree Cowdog for finding wolves on drags. Smart, personable, wants to please. Not aggressive towards trapped animals, but will find 'em and bark 'em in a heartbeat. I'm real impressed. "Gusto" has also become my best bud; wouldn't be without him (sorry, can't attach photos).

Jack

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: kyron4
How do you keep tour dogs from getting into it with the catch ? I love my English shepherd he is disciplined , but he feels the need to fight with every trapped animal on the line.

Gus is kind of a wussy and doesn't want to fight but is curious. It makes my life easy. He also has a very good handle on him and I can call him off easily if need be.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: USMC47
Trav, that pup I got from you is the best. She's sweet to people and aggressive to yotes. Dixie is her name.

John wrong Trav...Ha ha. I bet you are thinking TravC??
Posted By: PA Logan

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 04:51 PM

My brittany spaniel isn't a trapping dog either, but bringing and training her out on the line pays dividends when Pheasant hunting.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 05:04 PM

the nose alone on a dog can pay dividens on any line. and personally I believe the smell of a dog at a set angers a lot of yotes

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 05:55 PM

John wrong Trav...Ha ha. I bet you are thinking TravC??
I know better and have no idea why I did that. I was also wondering why "Trav" was saying it was his first dog. Lol.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 09:39 PM

John the snow on the ground should have been your 1st clue. LOL. I will take mistaken identity with TravC any day!!
Posted By: IndaTimber

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 10:12 PM

I have a British Lab that is my duck, goose, upland dog but also goes with me on the trap line. No worries with him fighting a catch as sit means sit until I tell you to do something else. Now, I just recently acquired a Mountain Feist, 3 months now, and while he is too young to go with me now, he will be a blast on the line in the future. Hopefully he'll be as well discipled as the lab but that Feist takes over when he sees something furry move and he's wide open!!

I'll try to get some pics posted of the two.
Posted By: SetNSteel

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/06/17 10:23 PM

DeeBo.
Great companion on the line so far...... Except I have to figure out how to keep him from trying to eat my Powder River bait from O'Gorman's. Lol

Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 12:35 AM

Ethel, is my bmc, (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) dog, and she is rarely left at home when it's time to run the traps. She also works very well as a catch dog on cattle, and has a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) good nose. Will be getting another trap line dog in a few months. A rhodesian ridgeback/bmc cross (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) dog. Current owner has sent me videos, and she is killer on running down coyotes. Have lots of good pics, but unfortunately I cannot get them to load on here.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 12:44 AM

Posting pics on here is kinda a pain. You have to shrink them down to 1000x800 pixels or so then they will work.

Sounds like lots of good dogs out there! Love seeing the pictures and stories about them.
Posted By: ron miller

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 02:05 AM

I don’t have a trapline dog yet ! But if the Lord lets me live til January I’m going Southwest to
get me a Blue Lacy puppy ! I want 1 bad and have made some contacts about puppy’s that
will be ready then. ! I want a Blue puppy ! This puppy will be a pet , house , blood tracking deer
and trapline Dog !! I’ll post a pick when I get him. !l
Posted By: Rammer

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 04:56 AM

Here’s my trapping partner. She shows me where the coyotes pee, and she points there poop for me.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SetNSteel
DeeBo.
Great companion on the line so far...... Except I have to figure out how to keep him from trying to eat my Powder River bait from O'Gorman's. Lol

Dog looks like he just ate a couch cushion and washed it down with a can of beer in the pantry. Lol.
Posted By: mcrobinson

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 05:54 PM

I gave my boy an airedale cur cross pup for Christmas last year. We caught a few coyotes with her in May. I accidentally ran her over after checking traps one night and killed her. I had a pretty heart broken little boy. I got him this kemmer cur leopard cur cross pup after that. She's a pretty good dog. We just started trapping again this fall. I like having her with me. I won't run a dog down the road anymore though.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 06:01 PM

That middle picture looks like Paragonah???
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 06:13 PM

That third picture is awesome, you should frame that one !
Posted By: SetNSteel

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SetNSteel
DeeBo.

Dog looks like he just ate a couch cushion and washed it down with a can of beer in the pantry. Lol.

Thankfully the couch cushions are safe. Now any crate bed that goes in his kennel? Not so safe. We've gone through 3 dog beds with him and he just tears them up.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Lazarus
That middle picture looks like Paragonah???

Close to Paragonah....little further South.

Originally Posted By: Golf ball
That third picture is awesome, you should frame that one !

I had this picture printed. Its on my boy's wall in his bedroom.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 07:33 PM

Oh, more like Kolob?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 07:35 PM

Ha ha Setnsteel Gus does the same thing with his bed in his crate. He is the defluffing master.

So many breeds of dogs I have never heard of on here.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 07:36 PM

Oh, more like Kolob?

Yeah. I caught those in a pasture we run our horses in during spring and early summer. After I ran that airedale cross pup over some kids stole a few traps. I pulled all my traps for a while.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 07:47 PM

Dadgummed Iron County kids. Sorry to hear that.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 07:52 PM

They were actually some kids out of Short Creek.....Colorado City area. There are quite a few people from that area that have moved in to Iron County. After talking with their dad the traps showed back up. I don't know what I had caught though. They had to have had something in them because they walked passed a couple traps to steal the ones they took.
Posted By: bob1454

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 07:55 PM

Here's my Airedale. She is going on 8 now, but pretty much does it all from feathers to fur.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: mcrobinson

They were actually some kids out of Short Creek.....Colorado City area. There are quite a few people from that area that have moved in to Iron County. After talking with their dad the traps showed back up. I don't know what I had caught though. They had to have had something in them because they walked passed a couple traps to steal the ones they took.

Oh, well that's even worse than Iron County vandals then. :-)

You related to Doc Robinson from Beaver?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 08:06 PM

You related to Doc Robinson from Beaver?

No, not that I know of. My dad's side of the family is from Circleville. I was born and raised in Cedar City.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 08:13 PM

SUSC alumni, 1985.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 08:33 PM

SUSC alumni, 1985.

Thats the year I was born! smile I will have to ask my dad what year he graduated, he was in school here at that time I know for sure.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 08:44 PM

You related to the Robinson's fur guys there in CC?
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 10:26 PM

This is my blackmouth cur and Catahoula cur cross. His name is Booger. He will run and tree cats, coon, squirrels and also find downed deer. He is my constant companion. Where I go he goes. Love having him on the line with me
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 11:08 PM

Here's my English Shepherd , Sammy. High intelligent and high energy this dog can go sun up to sun down. Fearless and loyal, truly my best friend.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/07/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bob1454
Here's my Airedale. She is going on 8 now, but pretty much does it all from feathers to fur.

Bob you didn't give her enough credit. What about finding horns, treeing lions and bobcats??
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 01:43 AM

My little jack Russell mix loves to go on the line with me. He thinks ks he is tough...

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 02:18 AM

True enough Trav. I just didn't want to brag. But she does do all of that.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: okiewolfer

This is my blackmouth cur and Catahoula cur cross. His name is Booger. He will run and tree cats, coon, squirrels and also find downed deer. He is my constant companion. Where I go he goes. Love having him on the line with me

Wow okie, that is a fine looking dog there. I would have never thought that cross would tree squirrel's too. I'm gonna look into that cross!
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 04:16 AM

Posted By: Zagman

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 09:49 AM

Since I lost my two Irish and Dorns last year, I've been making do..........

Not quite the same........

Mark Zagger

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Zagman
Since I lost my two Irish and Dorns last year, I've been making do..........

Not quite the same........

Mark Zagger

All is not lost. I believe you can gut those kind of fox and use the internal organs underneath your pans.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 08:39 PM

Thanks for the compliment catch22 I really enjoy him he is my buddy. And to be honest he does great on the trap line but I think he would rather tree squirrels and cats than breathe air. One of the best cur breed tree dogs I've ever seen. I hunted curs on hogs for 15 years and never saw one that would tree like him and he's out of hog dog stock on both sides of his family.
Posted By: thskeer

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 09:08 PM

Mark, how did you lose BOTH dogs in the same year? Parvo? Distemper? That had to be a real kick in the guts!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 09:08 PM

Some fine looking dogs on here! Love seeing all the different breeds people use. Those are some awesome dogs badgerman and gotta be tough as nails!
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/08/17 10:29 PM

Dogs are fun to have along

Posted By: Matt28

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 12:31 AM

My mountain cur is dang nere identical to bagerman 50 first pic. Okiewolfer that is a real good looking dog i love that color, my next dog with be a catahoula cross

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: thskeer
Mark, how did you lose BOTH dogs in the same year? Parvo? Distemper? That had to be a real kick in the guts!

The old man, Rusty, died in his sleep. He would have been 14 in month when he died Jan 2nd 2016.

His son, Boone, got filled up with cancer out of nowhere and I had to put him down Aug 28th same year.....heartbreaker....

He would have been 12 shortly thereafter.....

I sure miss those dogs...but the Shitzhus DO fill a gap for me!

MZ
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 02:00 AM

Turd your yotes are mean as heck.. Ive seen them bow down to dogs but all your want to eat them.. And where on god green earth you trapping in Mo that has a cliff like that? has to be out of state.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 02:12 AM

I was down by Salem today actually, but that was up north a bit..

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt28
My mountain cur is dang nere identical to bagerman 50 first pic. Okiewolfer that is a real good looking dog i love that color, my next dog with be a catahoula cross

I know. That pic of okie's dog sittin in the bed of that truck makes me want a pup NOW lol.
Posted By: Rhino7

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 02:31 AM

Turd, those sure are some good lookin dogs!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 02:36 AM

Thanks rhino, a lot better looking than them dumb yellow mutts eh

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 04:00 AM

Here ya go catch22 what ya think about this one? Lol. I think you would be very happy with this cross. I had a chance to buy a year old dog that was the same cross and could have been a litter mate to my dog but I passed on her because I don't need a female.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 04:15 AM

Your killin me okie, your killin me. grin

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 12:50 PM

Did you get your dog from oklahoma okie?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 04:41 PM

Yes Matt he came from Altus Oklahoma. His mother was a Ladner bread blackmouth and his daddy is a beautiful blue Merle Catahoula with a glass eye. How he turned out brindle I'll never know. That's the reason I got him was because he didn't match the rest of the litter and the fella didn't want him. I gave $100 for him at weining age and it was one of the best hundreds I ever spent lol. As a matter of fact he got to help find a deer I shot with my bow last night. It was a high up hit with no exit wound and the blood trail was slim to none. That dog saved a lot of agony and boot leather last night.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 05:55 PM

Hey Okie good looking dog, you want to double your money lol !

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 06:01 PM

Appreciate the offer Golf Ball but I think I'll have to pass lol. It would be kinda like cutting off my right arm to sell him. He's my buddy. If I'm not at work or in a deer stand he is with me. Eats what I eat and sleeps where I sleep.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 06:41 PM

Can’t beat that ! Does he shed much and does anyone know about the dorn dogs, do they shed ?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 07:38 PM

I'm not sure about the dorns Golf Ball but my dog is pretty low on the scale when it comes to shedding. He's a pretty short haired dog and doesn't seem to shed a lot. Compared to my brother's border collie he doesn't shed at all lol. I would say he probably sheds about as much if not a little less than your normal coonhound or short-haired bird dog. I keep him washed and combed pretty regular and that helps.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 10:35 PM

Well that’s kinda why I asked , I’ve had coon hounds that hardly shed at all. I’ve had others that shed worse than a cat,lol. It made no difference to me at the time all my hounds rode in a box. My next one is riding up front with me and moma .

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 10:41 PM

Every dog sheds. Think about it . . . if they didn't, they could never replace the damaged hair they get, and they'd never develop a cold weather coat. The amount of noticeable hair shed has to do with the length and density of the dog's coat, and sometimes color. Lighter colored dogs are more noticeable than brown or tan dogs.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 10:56 PM

Yes he sheds nothing like a cat. He would be really upset to know someone even thought he was anything like a cat lol. He absolutely hates cats with a passion! But you are right Lazarus the longer the hair the more noticeable the shedding. Two of the smartest dogs I've ever seen were a border collie and Catahoula cross that my dad had and my brothers full blood border collie but goodnight nurse what horrible shedding!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 11:00 PM

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 11:12 PM

Bruce that one almost looks like he is on point! I believe also that is a little to short of hair for Maine, That is one Bad mamma jamma he goes out in your winters looking like that! I wouldn't want to mess with him!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 11:15 PM

grin

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce T

Sadly he died of frost bite last winter.Now have little Sam
Posted By: rhobbs

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 11:31 PM

Heres my female mountain cur. The dog in the box is a treeing feist. Typically if in the woods, they are with me.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/09/17 11:47 PM

Nice looking dog and a nice bunch of squirrels.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 12:09 AM

Nice looking dog and a nice bunch of squirrels.

Thank you.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 12:43 AM

Bruce Sam would scare anything to death on the trap line, save time and money. Don't have to buy shells for a 22, and Death ray will take too long compared to that smile and googly eyes lol.

Rhobbs I have a mnt cur/ fist mix. Good looking dog and full of energy, Will tree a squirrel but doesn't use his nose to track he is a sight/ listen dog. Is your fiest that way??

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 01:10 AM

Beautiful dog rhobb!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 01:52 AM

Those black squirrels are awesome! Wish we had some of them!
Posted By: andy weiser

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 01:55 AM

Love my dog! Good Thread Trav! Great pics guys.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 02:23 AM

Beautiful dog rhobb!

Thanks! Same to you. Squirrel dogs are a blast, aren't they?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: andy weiser

Love my dog! Good Thread Trav! Great pics guys.

Monty, I love that dog too. I sure hope Gus turns out like him.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 03:58 AM

Yes rhobb squirrel dogs are great. I've hunted coon hounds my whole life and hog dogs for most of it but the squirrel dogs hands down handle the best and are the most relaxing to hunt. I've got two half mountain cur half mountain fiest litter mate sisters that I'm starting on squirrels right now. They are two of the most alert dogs I've ever seen. They don't miss anything if it happens up in the trees.
Posted By: Doug66

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 03:05 PM

This is my dog Pete. A pup out of Travis Chilson's dogs. Year and a half old now and a work in progress. Hopefully he'll slow down a little soon. If it runs from him he wants it to die. Couple more coyotes with the right attitude should make him start barking a little.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 03:07 PM

Good looking dog doug.
Posted By: TravC

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 06:02 PM

He looks good doug

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 08:45 PM

Beautiful dog Doug! Looks like he's built for speed!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/10/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: salemtrapper
Bruce Sam would scare anything to death on the trap line, save time and money. Don't have to buy shells for a 22, and Death ray will take too long compared to that smile and googly eyes lol.

Rhobbs I have a mnt cur/ fist mix. Good looking dog and full of energy, Will tree a squirrel but doesn't use his nose to track he is a sight/ listen dog. Is your fiest that way??

Then there was lucky

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/11/17 12:45 AM

Yes rhobb squirrel dogs are great. I've hunted coon hounds my whole life and hog dogs for most of it but the squirrel dogs hands down handle the best and are the most relaxing to hunt. I've got two half mountain cur half mountain fiest litter mate sisters that I'm starting on squirrels right now. They are two of the most alert dogs I've ever seen. They don't miss anything if it happens up in the trees.

Awe heck okie, I'm just looking for a good squirrel dog pup, you didn't have to go and break one for me. grin

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/11/17 03:12 AM

Well Catch if ya wanna make the trip down we'll go on a good old fashioned squirrel hunt. But when ya go back north the dogs gotta stay lol.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/11/17 04:02 AM

Well Catch if ya wanna make the trip down we'll go on a good old fashioned squirrel hunt. But when ya go back north the dogs gotta stay lol.

grin
Posted By: yotecope

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/11/17 04:18 AM

I don't have a trap line dog but I would love to get one..just not sure what to get.. I would like it to be and inside dog also and good with kids being that I have 4 little ones lol
Posted By: Blueticker1

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/11/17 04:43 AM

I use a rat terrier. They're smart aggressive and make great indoor pets. I tried posting a picture but it didn't work.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/11/17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: yotecope
I don't have a trap line dog but I would love to get one..just not sure what to get.. I would like it to be and inside dog also and good with kids being that I have 4 little ones lol

When I picked mine I had been researching breeds and I found a good mix of some different breeds that I thought would work and lucked out. I think any dog that listens well would work really. My wife's Boston terrier/pug cross is going along today he is good for finding locations but thinks he has to mark every set so she will have him on a lease while me a Gus do our thing. He also walks right in to a catch circle unafraid like coyotes are big fluffy dog friends (another reason for the leash). I could have put more time into training him but he just doesn't have the coat to be outside in the snow and cold we have here. I will take some more pics today.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/12/17 05:23 PM

My buddies need to take better bow shots.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/19/17 03:08 PM

Scouting for bobcats yesterday and Gus found an elk shed horn. So many advantages to having a good dog along with you on the trap line.

Posted By: andyva

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/19/17 05:04 PM

This is my trapline dog. Trigg hound. Have to make sure gas tank is full and gps collar is charged, because usually a coyote in a trap means a smoking track out of there. But my gosh the things you can learn looking at that gps screen. Somebody gets after you and makes you want to leave the country, you will probably get on the interstate highway. You find tracks and turds, you don't know if you are looking at a private drive or an interstate. Interstates get more traffic, and I have a map of all the coyote interstates on my gps.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/20/17 04:23 AM

Would put a pic of mine but the pic just comes up black don't know what is going on there don't have a computer.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/20/17 01:48 PM

Finely got It to work this is Zip she healer airdel cur had her trailing coyotes on drags when she was 8 months old. I think she love trapping more than me and that's a lot it doesn't matter if it in the boat or land she is all in.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/20/17 06:14 PM

Interesting breeding on that dog Bandy. I like it!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/20/17 11:47 PM

Here is another pic where you can see her head I hope to get started trapping Dec 1 if all goes well.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/21/17 12:43 AM

Very cool dog bandy. Is she 1\2 airdel and 1\4 heeler and cur
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/21/17 12:52 AM

1/2 mountain cur-1/2 australian sheppard.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/21/17 11:33 AM

Ya I should have wrote it that way there could be something else in there from further back but her parents were heeler cur/mom and heeler airdel/dad.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/21/17 11:42 AM

Cool dogs people! Keep them coming!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/21/17 02:43 PM

Heres my decoy dog Dixie. Blackmouth Curr

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/21/17 07:04 PM

Rhino get that hideous yeller dog off of here. She looks bigger than I remembered.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/22/17 12:20 AM

She still aint very big, only about 35 pounds.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/22/17 01:23 AM

My little dog, Baby is coming along well. She is working the coyotes, but still wants to get a little too tough on coons. She is about a year and a half old, half Airedale and half Jag.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/22/17 01:34 AM

Awesome dog Lee!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/22/17 12:46 PM

The last time I weighed zip she was 54lb Lee zip is the same with coon but it is gray fox that gets her I think with her it is the more aggressive the animals are the more she is. The only coyote she hasn't found was last year had a drag broke so it was 10 ft of chain and 20 min of looking 6 in of snow fell and we never did find it.
Posted By: andyva

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/22/17 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: bandy
The last time I weighed zip she was 54lb Lee zip is the same with coon but it is gray fox that gets her I think with her it is the more aggressive the animals are the more she is. The only coyote she hasn't found was last year had a drag broke so it was 10 ft of chain and 20 min of looking 6 in of snow fell and we never did find it.

Those are the situations I enjoy. Cut them loose, see which way they head, get out in front and cut them off with the shotgun. Nice little race that doesn't leave the county. The trouble is sometimes the mate will come in and get the dogs to follow it, so if you don't pay attention to wind and it winds you, then it will bump on out of there. Most of them won't go far though.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/27/17 07:52 PM

Here is my boys dog, Sophia. I call her Sophie. She's a kemmer/leopard cur cross. I posted a pic of her up the thread a ways with my boy and double on coyotes we called in.

This is the first critter she has seen in a trap.

And the next trap check she got to see this bobcat in the remake. She wanted to tangle with the cat, I kept her on a leash this time.

This is my dad's little 3/4 airedale 1/4 jack russell dog, Gus.

He was with us when we caught the cat too.

Both his dog and my boys dog are both pups still. Sophie is almost 9 months and Gus is almost 6 months I think.
Posted By: uplandpointer

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/27/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: strike2x

My little jack Russell mix loves to go on the line with me. He thinks ks he is tough...

A friend of mine up the road runs cats with hounds. He wears a game vest under his big heavy coat and carry's a small Jack or a wire haired dockshound (spelling) with him. They are two of the toughest little buggers I have ever came across. When he gets a cat in a spot that the big dogs cant get into he will turn one of the little guys loose.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/17 03:00 PM

Great pics guys. a lot of interesting breeds. Keep um coming!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/30/17 04:28 PM

This is the best part of having a trapping dog
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/30/17 04:59 PM

Awesome trav. Gus gets right into to it. What he do when you say go get that coyote lol. I know what monty does, gets excided.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/30/17 08:00 PM

He gets excited and wants out when we have a coyote. He runs over there but keeps his distance.
Posted By: saskbone

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/30/17 10:51 PM

This is the best part of having a trapping dog

Good looking dog Trav not sure about the mutt on the right. Lol

How's the season going? You need to catch some cats so I can get my fix. Gus looks a lot bigger then when I seen him in Lewiston.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/01/17 02:32 AM

Ha ha Les you are right on that analogy. Season is going better than normal so far. I actually think the dog helps putting his scent out there around the sets. I start on cats tomorrow. You will get your fix......I hope. Gus might be a little bigger than when you saw him but not much.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/05/17 09:42 PM

I caught another cat where I caught the last one. Sophie wasn't on a leash this time. She knows what bobcat claws are now. This pic was after she got tangled up with the cat.

Posted By: cmcf

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/08/17 05:36 AM

Took a pic of my 10 month old Rhodesian facing down a male coyote that was waiting for me on the line today. Wish I could upload.
Not savvy enough. I can text it to someone if they want to post it.
Posted By: Rebel Rider

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/08/17 05:53 AM

Cool pictures. I've never taken my golden retriever trapping when I knew I'd have something. I worry about her getting the coyote excited, fighting a coyote, or stepping in a trap if she doesn't listen. (She'll normally listen, but it'd be annoying if she didn't.) She already got caught once when my brother went by the traps and she couldn't resist.
Is there any benefit to taking a dog along, other than companionship? (I don't use drags so no tracking for me.)

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/08/17 06:06 AM

A dog to me is an asset on a canine line. They will show you scent marks that would not ordinarily catch your eye. If you know what to watch for you can even get a good idea as to whether it was a male or female that left the scent. If male they will smell the bush, tree or rock the target peed on then mark it themselves. If it was a female my dogs will smell the spot on the ground where the female speed and often scratch that spot then smell again then leave a little squirt on top of the spot. Instant location.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/08/17 06:10 AM

Nice mcrobinson. Sophie has sand if she tangled with a cat and still stands her ground.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/08/17 06:16 PM

Snapped this pic of Gus watching me rebuild a coyote set the other day.
Posted By: Jpwilson

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/09/17 11:55 AM

I'm a springer fan, I love to bird hunt and love to trap even more, they'll do anything to please you and don't leave your side. May not be the top choice but for my two needs they work perfect for me. Some great pics on this thread. Can't beat a good trapline dog!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/10/17 12:16 AM

JP, you shouldn't work them dogs so hard, their tongues are hanging out! grin
Posted By: IDTrapman

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/10/17 12:37 AM

Meet Mavrik. It was a cold one this morning. Didn't take a pic of myself, but I looked about the same.

Posted By: chasing eyes

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/10/17 12:40 AM

German shorthaired pointer named Trapper
Just over a year old now turning into a great dog.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/10/17 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: cmcf
Nice mcrobinson. Sophie has sand if she tangled with a cat and still stands her ground.

I think she'll turn out to be a good dog. She's nine months now. She's still young. We caught a red fox on the last check in the same location as the 2 cats and grey fox. She ran right in and got ahold of that red fox too. She seems to be aggressive on with animals we catch. She is a sweetheart to my 4 year old boy and 7 month old boy at home though. She has been caught in my traps twice. I'm hoping that's all that's needed but I imagine she'll get caught again.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/10/17 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: cmcf
Took a pic of my 10 month old Rhodesian facing down a male coyote that was waiting for me on the line today. Wish I could upload.
Not savvy enough. I can text it to someone if they want to post it.

Here is the pic of cmcf's dog with a coyote. Cool pic. How do you like that vest on your dog?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/10/17 10:02 PM

Love it it's a Carhart.Have one for each dog. I am going to have nylon one inch webbing and a buckle sewn on the Velcro straps as a backup. They bust brush aggressively and the Velcro just won't hold. Thanks again for posting the pic.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/11/17 03:56 AM

Caught 3 bobcats Saturday and Gus got his share of baying at them.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/11/17 04:29 AM

That is a beautiful cat judging by the sides and front legs hope I have a couple when I check tomorrow. Thanks Trav. mcrobinson got my pic posted. Hard to beat a good dog.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/11/17 08:21 PM

Posted By: Jboski

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/11/17 11:31 PM

This is Sage a Wiredhaired Pointing Griffon.
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/11/17 11:55 PM

This is Manning my papillon bear dog. As you can see he is "bear"ing down on some raw hide chews. He weights about five pounds so he really isn't a trapline dog but didn't want to feel left out. I have enjoyed this post as I do plan to get a trapline/hunting dog of some type when I retire.

Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/12/17 03:02 AM

This here’s Clyde, he’s catahoula with a dab of black mouth and a dab of Airedale lol, and he surely hates coyotes!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/12/17 03:04 AM

Posted By: Ken Smith

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/12/17 12:57 PM

This is Titus the chocolate lab

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/12/17 10:21 PM

That's an awesome dog outlaw. With that kind of mix he would have made a hog dog that wouldn't quit. But looks like he does really well at trap line dogging also!
Posted By: Dustin_Drews

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/13/17 01:32 AM

first coyote I killed with him

coyote mutt

coon mutt

decoy dog

Denning dog... took 20 staples to patch him up, plus some codderizing of his ear and 3 stiches on his paw

Fox mutt

Badger mutt

One (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of a Bird dog

2/3rds Jadg 1/3 airdale.

He is lucky to be alive... He killed my uncles cat a few weeks ago.
Grif is his name. Killin is his game!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/13/17 02:21 AM

my 6 month old is coming along but still don't have the grit to take hold! but in time im sure she will she watchs the wind shield like a hawk while checking the line

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/13/17 04:09 AM

That's an awesome dog outlaw. With that kind of mix he would have made a hog dog that wouldn't quit. But looks like he does really well at trap line dogging also!

Thanks Okie, he’s out of a great mamma from Travis Chilson. His momma is dang smart with a great demeanor, and his grandma was even better. Clyde’s only a year and a half, and he is true,y the smartest, most well behaved dog I have ever owned. He’s a natural workin cows, is decoyin pretty dang well, and just has zero quit when it comes to coyotes. I wouldn’t trade him for a million dollars.....he’s in snoring on my bed right now lol
Posted By: DezertTrapper

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/13/17 09:28 AM

Here's my girl. Deeeeeeeeep nose, from Czech and DDR working lines.

If I'm trying to track down a specific yote or a feral dog for trap placement, she does a better job than I could ever begin to. She's also rattlesnake avoidance trained. She sniffs them out from 20 yards, sometimes more. Danger danger danger! She warns me by jumping on my back to stop me from moving forward.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/13/17 04:27 PM

That's awesome outlaw. I've got the same mix except without the Airedale. I've posted several pics of "Booger" at the beginning of this post. He too is the smartest most well behaved dog I have ever owned. And when it comes to things that snarl and bite he has not one inch of backup in him. This is him on a coyote I caught Sunday. He also sleeps at my feet at night. I have sleep apnea and he wakes me up at night if I hold my breath while I'm sleeping.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/14/17 02:38 AM

That’s a darn good lookin dog Okie!!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/14/17 02:48 AM

Dustin you might be over gunned on that first coyote,lol !

Annie those shepherd dogs are pretty smart and versatile!

Outlaw my dad used to rope with a guy that used catahoulas for cattle, they were great on cows hiding in a corn field !

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/14/17 03:55 PM

Thanks outlaw! And they still use a lot of Catahoula dogs around here to hunt cattle Golf Ball. They make awesome stock dogs.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/14/17 05:43 PM

I’ve got a buddy in ms that uses them on hogs, just an amazing dog with plenty of grit !

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/15/17 08:22 PM

Yes they are. I hunted hogs with them and blackmouth curs for a lot of years. I think having the blackmouth crossed into the Catahoula gives them a little more nose and a better tree instinct. Just my opinion though.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/16/17 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Dustin_Drews

first coyote I killed with him

coyote mutt

coon mutt

decoy dog

Denning dog... took 20 staples to patch him up, plus some codderizing of his ear and 3 stiches on his paw

Fox mutt

Badger mutt

One (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of a Bird dog

2/3rds Jadg 1/3 airdale.

He is lucky to be alive... He killed my uncles cat a few weeks ago.
Grif is his name. Killin is his game!

Good looking dog Dustin. What were his parents to make a 2/3-1/3 cross?? The little terriers can do it all with less dog food.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/17/17 02:20 PM

Got a pretty nice tomcat yesterday morning with my buddy along.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/17/17 04:15 PM

Nice Okie!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/18/17 04:50 PM

Here is zip on the canoe after some beaver.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/18/17 06:38 PM

Brains and looks hu Okie !
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/18/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DezertTrapper
Here's my girl. Deeeeeeeeep nose, from Czech and DDR working lines.

If I'm trying to track down a specific yote or a feral dog for trap placement, she does a better job than I could ever begin to. She's also rattlesnake avoidance trained. She sniffs them out from 20 yards, sometimes more. Danger danger danger! She warns me by jumping on my back to stop me from moving forward.

Beautiful dog.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/19/17 12:38 AM

All great looking dogs guy's!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/20/17 01:10 AM

Another bobcat for Gus to play with today.

Posted By: Dustin_Drews

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/28/17 10:09 AM

1/3 airdale 2/3s jadg terrier.
Breed by Devin Staker of Colorado
God bless
Dustin

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/29/17 02:19 AM

God bless
Dustin

That sounds like a handfull. Some aggressive breeding there for sure.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/29/17 02:50 AM

My mountain cur, I been working with her some I think she will work out ok.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/29/17 04:39 AM

Great looking cur Matt! Boy she gets in close!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/29/17 05:18 AM

She gets bit every now and then but it don't seem to bother her.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/29/17 05:47 PM

Just makes her tougher! Lol. That's a cur dog for ya!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/29/17 05:55 PM

Booger likes to get a little too close sometimes too. This mean old female put a hole in him on Christmas morning.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/29/17 11:43 PM

God bless
Dustin

I didn't know you could get 1/3 of a dog. Maybe he lined up a 3 way

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/30/17 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Jackdale
God bless
Dustin

I didn't know you could get 1/3 of a dog. Maybe he lined up a 3 way

Hmmm never thought of that. It takes 2 to tango.
Posted By: wwc

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/30/17 03:30 AM

Booger likes to get a little too close sometimes too. This mean old female put a hole in him on Christmas morning.
okie you need to hang that photo on the wall for later in life! Good looking dog.
I hope he got even for the bite!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/30/17 03:36 AM

Yeah wwc I've got a whole album full of pics of him. And he got his licks in after she fell lol.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/30/17 08:02 PM

Got a big ol Oklahoma dry land coon this morning. Biggest I've seen in a while. Booger was a little reluctant to tangle with him!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/31/17 03:38 AM

What do you think that one weighed Okie? I got one the other day that went 20.5.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/31/17 04:27 AM

Anyone know how to put a video on here? I have a video of Gus with a bobcat today that I want to share.
Posted By: w8n4rut

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/31/17 04:58 AM

Posted By: w8n4rut

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/31/17 05:02 AM

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/31/17 05:16 AM

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/31/17 02:21 PM

Here is the frist red of the year.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/31/17 11:32 PM

That coon weighed in at 24.5 pounds Matt. He's the biggest I've seen in my part of the world in a long time.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 02:33 AM

That coon weighed in at 24.5 pounds Matt. He's the biggest I've seen in my part of the world in a long time.
yep that's a good one. 20.5 is my biggest most dry land boar I catch here are right at 15 or 16.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 02:45 AM

Matt that is the 3rd large boar coon I have caught in 3 weeks within 300 yards of each other. The sets I'm getting them in are over 1/4 of a mile from any water except for a small 20 yard square cattle pond. The other 2 were like you said in the 15 pound range. They sure mess up a good coyote set lol.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 04:18 AM

Yes they do! For some reason the last two years my dry land coon catches are way up from normal I have set for 8 day and have caught four, all a long ways from water except for small ponds. Some I don't even know of a pond even close. I trap the the same places every year two.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 01:57 PM

Gus loves his bobcats!

https://vimeo.com/249299157
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 03:09 PM

Trav, that's a good looking dog. Like the video!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: wildflights
Trav, that's a good looking dog. Like the video!

Thanks for hooking me up with the link.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 07:10 PM

Awesome video! Get em Gus!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 09:02 PM

How did you post the video.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/01/18 09:28 PM

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/02/18 02:24 AM

Great picture Matt! That old dog looks like it means business!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/02/18 02:50 AM

Ya it was the only male I caught. He was kinda in a bad mood.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/02/18 03:10 AM

https://vimeo.com/249321711

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/03/18 01:31 PM

Awesome Matt! Gus is aggressive with bobcats but he gives the coyotes plenty of room LOL
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/03/18 02:05 PM

Liking the videos! What breed is that?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/03/18 06:25 PM

https://vimeo.com/249555420
Here is another of my mountain cur. She get a little to close sometimes.
Posted By: Mustela vison

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/03/18 10:38 PM

He's a multi-purpose lab!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/07/18 02:19 AM

Well this is it for me and Gus. Hanging it up for the year. Too much dam snow for foot traps now. He was along for every single catch. He had a great 1st year and I am sooo glad I decided to get a trapline dog.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/07/18 03:19 AM

Nice Trav! Great dog and a great catch.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/07/18 02:51 PM

Great picture Trav! Nice catch!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/08/18 09:00 PM

Nice season Trav. Gus will be looking forward to next year.

I just picked up another pup. She is a Jagd/English Bull Terrier/Airedale cross.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/09/18 12:34 AM

Good looking pup, should be a good one.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/09/18 03:41 AM

Looks like a good one mcrobinson. What does the "old dog" think of the pup?
Posted By: meat eater

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/09/18 06:20 AM

Bandy Is that a healer? How does it do?, I have a healer I would love to train to go check traps with me, but he is wilder than a peach orchard boar, not sure I can slow him down enough.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/09/18 02:17 PM

She is a healer airadal and cur she is a female so that helps a lot the best way I have found to break a dog is work them on a long leash it makes them put 100% of there attention on you.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/09/18 02:20 PM

Well this is it for me and Gus. Hanging it up for the year. Too much dam snow for foot traps now. He was along for every single catch. He had a great 1st year and I am sooo glad I decided to get a trapline dog.

Nice pic....

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/09/18 04:14 PM

This thread has interested me from the start ! Now that I’ve lost my old dog it’s gonna be a long wait till spring. Would you guys recommend the Dorn dog over the Jag ?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/09/18 05:10 PM

Looks like a good one mcrobinson. What does the "old dog" think of the pup?

They get along great. I think they will be a good pair. The new pup will be quite a bit smaller than the cur. Hopefully they get the decoying game figured out as well.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/09/18 10:03 PM

This is Pancho he is 6 and really coming on, trails cats and coyotes stays back when he finds them plus he'll tree hard!Had to shrink the picture so the lion lost his head!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/11/18 03:44 PM

This thread has interested me from the start ! Now that I’ve lost my old dog it’s gonna be a long wait till spring. Would you guys recommend the Dorn dog over the Jag ?

No experience with either one here. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/16/18 01:48 PM

Trav,this is one of the 2 first curs i owned.this guy has taken a lickin and keeps on tickin.turns 23 today,his half brother passed last winter at 24.he runs my fur shop now as his retirement job.
Posted By: late bite

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/16/18 03:30 PM

My 2yo Lab, he loves the fox, not so much the yotes though...

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/16/18 09:09 PM

Sophie got to play with another cat.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/19/18 11:29 AM

Some good looking trapline dogs.
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/20/18 12:26 PM

This is my new male Jagd Riggs and starting to get it done.

My Gritty Female Jagd Grendel.

Part of the Brood. I was Normal 3 Jagds Ago!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/21/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: pcr2

Trav,this is one of the 2 first curs i owned.this guy has taken a lickin and keeps on tickin.turns 23 today,his half brother passed last winter at 24.he runs my fur shop now as his retirement job.

Wow that is a very impressive age for any dog. WOW

I have a Jack Russell that just turned 15 and I thought that was old.....

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/21/18 01:03 PM

Great pics everyone! I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. I'm glad to see it's still alive.

Gus has been kind of a pain in the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) since I pulled traps. Poor dog needs a job!!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/21/18 02:15 PM

Trav.he sas sittinn by my feet in the shed yesterday and i was amazed at the scars and tears from over the years that are part of his dumbo ears.look close and you can see some.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/22/18 01:21 AM

Ha ha yup. Good ole boy!!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 01/22/18 01:28 PM

Started trapping Friday got almost 50 sets out here is the first cat from yesterday zip wanted to get a hold of it bad this cat was a long way from any woods.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/09/18 06:53 PM

I'm bringing this thread back up. Here is Sophie and my dads dog Gus with a cat. Gus is sure getting bigger. Sophie is 11 months now and Gus is 8 or 9 months.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/09/18 07:42 PM

Good looking dogs mcrobinson. Looks like some Airedale there.
Posted By: freeze

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/09/18 09:06 PM

Buddy and Sissy, once the critters stop wiggling they lose interest.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/10/18 12:54 AM

Dead Coyote couldn’t help but notice a couple of your jags have a mustache and a couple don’t. Is this a difference in breeding, males versus females, what’s the story ?
Posted By: bbasher

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/10/18 04:04 PM

Good looking terrier mcrobinson. I hope he didn't chew up those cats too much. Getting a pup to show that much interest in fur is great. He'll be a real killer in a year
Posted By: vatrapping87

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/12/18 12:31 AM

I’m going to look at some Airedale bluetick pups this weekend. Any experience with this cross?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/12/18 02:32 AM

I am not a hound guy so take this advice for what it's worth. I think the airedale brings a lot more to the cross than the hound. Also a first gen cross with have a lot of pups with mostly hound traits or mostly airedale. So you won't know what you're really getting until they are grown.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/12/18 02:35 AM

For a 9mo old pup that gus is sure getting after it!
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/12/18 12:26 PM

Dead Coyote couldn’t help but notice a couple of your jags have a mustache and a couple don’t. Is this a difference in breeding, males versus females, what’s the story ?

Ruff's and Smooth's all in the same litter normally.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/12/18 01:58 PM

Can you tell when they are little if they are going to be one way or the other ?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 02/12/18 04:35 PM

Good looking dogs mcrobinson. Looks like some Airedale there.

Gus is 3/4 airedale 1/4 jack russell. He came from a govt guy in Montana.

Originally Posted By: bbasher
Good looking terrier mcrobinson. I hope he didn't chew up those cats too much. Getting a pup to show that much interest in fur is great. He'll be a real killer in a year

The terrier is my dads. The cur is mine. They both got teeth into that cat when the choke pole came out. They didn't tear it up but they both got a little taste of claws and teeth from the cat as well.
Neither backed down.

Originally Posted By: Jackdale
For a 9mo old pup that gus is sure getting after it!

Gus hasn't been with me as much as Sophie this year but he's showing lots of interest. This is the first cat he really has went after. When the cat wasn't moving he wasn't doing much but if Sophie got the cat hitting the end of the chain Gus would get pretty intense. I think the 2 of them are going to work together pretty good. Now that cat season is dying down we'll take a little break and then start calling coyotes and try to get them into that game.
Posted By: forester79

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 03/11/18 01:31 PM

New black and tan pup getting the hang of beaver trapping

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 03/11/18 04:01 PM

Its amazing how fast they learn the dos and donts my little dog I started out at 6months old shes ate up with checking traps! lol when. I make a set she trys to mimic me about 20 feet away. Shes happy baying but hasn't got the nerve yet to grab hold.My wifes boxer showing her the ropes

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/07/18 02:15 AM

What is everyone doing in the off season with their dogs? Gus has been running a few coons. Can't wait to get going here soon!!
Posted By: acron

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/07/18 02:24 AM

I've got a mountain cur pup who is going to be a coon and Squirrel dog -hopefully. Does anyone have a dog they hunt and also take on the trapline? I'm concerned if I take on the trap line I'll be teaching the dog to stay near me and it will be a detriment to the hunting. Thoughts?

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/07/18 02:32 AM

I think you can work around that acron if you have a good dog that listens and knows what you are doing.

Here is Gus getting fired up on a coon.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/07/18 08:17 PM

I am looking to get me another pup sometime soon, my cur is no long with me so I will have to replace her.
Posted By: saquelie

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/08/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: acron
I've got a mountain cur pup who is going to be a coon and Squirrel dog -hopefully. Does anyone have a dog they hunt and also take on the trapline? I'm concerned if I take on the trap line I'll be teaching the dog to stay near me and it will be a detriment to the hunting. Thoughts?
Coons at night, squirrels during the day and he knows when were checking traps.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/09/18 12:36 AM

so did you just take him along and let him work the line with ya? He figured it out then.
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/09/18 07:10 PM

Tan gyp is a bmc and she has a nose that doesn't miss. The pups are out of her by a mountain/kimber male, they are 2 weeks old and will hopefully make some good trapping/decoy dogs. The red gyp is a bmc/ridgeback cross and is an absolute killer, unfortunately she was spayed when I got her.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/11/18 09:37 PM

Yes acron I think ya just gotta take them along with you and let them learn what you are doing whether it be running traps or squirrel hunting it doesnt take long for a smart well disciplined dog to figure out what you want from him. My cur loves to tree squirrels its his favorite thing in the world, but he knows when we are following coyote or cat tracks that squirrels have to wait. I was even able to get him to blood trail a deer that a friend made a bad hit on last winter he took the trail almost 1/4 mile past where we had found the last blood and was standing over the dead deer barking when we caught up with him. Those are some beautiful pups BMC! They should be an awesome cross.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/12/18 01:59 AM

Thanks Okie that helps a lot guess (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) be running with me this year

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/12/18 03:57 PM

Good deal! Don't know where I would be without my hunting and trapping buddy.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/12/18 04:19 PM

Here's my pup, re killin a groundhog and supervising a set lol.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/14/18 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: acron
so did you just take him along and let him work the line with ya? He figured it out then.

Yes I started him riding in the truck his 1st season at just a couple months old.

Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/15/18 11:11 AM

My Hanging Tree Cattle Dog...STORMY ... becoming a great trap line partner
Posted By: John Houben

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/16/18 11:50 AM

Bob1454, I hadn't noticed your Airedale pic last time I checked out this thread. Nice Airedale!! Would it happen to be a smooth coated "Red-Line" breeding. If so where did you get the dog?

Thanks, Houben
Posted By: Wife

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 09/18/18 11:10 PM

Tom's trapline dog is the first partner he's had who looks better than he does!!!!!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/11/18 10:11 PM

1st coyote of the year and Gus has lost his fear of them.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/11/18 11:28 PM

i'm jealous,heard Wieser got dumped on also.my new dog's been on a dozen or so of my scouting runs.good luck.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/12/18 12:33 AM

I thought I posted these on this thread already but didn't see them.

SUE, (boy named Sue) 8 year old Chesapeake.

Posted By: 20scout

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/12/18 02:05 AM

This here is Maxi, my 11 year old Jack Russel. She doesn't get as excited as she used to a few years back but she is good company!
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/12/18 01:54 PM

she loves going on rides, checking traps, or in this case trying to find my sunken traps, then we're tired!
Check out this muskrat hut!
pulling a sled? don't even bother!
smells like coon!

Posted By: NvHermit

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/12/18 03:24 PM

These are my friends dogs with my lion, we've been getting ready for this season the past couple days.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/24/18 04:11 PM

Here is my pup. Mt. Cur. He has been treeing some squirrels and he will be riding along on the trapline this year.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/25/19 08:40 PM

I liked this thread. I'm bringing it back up. smile First pic is Sophie. Second pic is Gator, my male pup out of Sophie and my dad's airedale. The plan is trapline dogs and decoy dogs. Gator is almost 10 months now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/26/19 12:36 AM

Good looking dogs, I’m still giving alex crap for not getting one from you. I also like this thread. This was my first decoy trapline mutt Marv, we learned a lot together. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/26/19 01:17 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/26/19 02:48 AM

[Linked Image]

Loki, my 9 month old jagd/shepherd cross taking a break.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/26/19 03:11 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Doc, two year old McNabb. Portable urine bottle, tolling dog, cow dog hes a multi tool, well a tool for sure.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/26/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
Good looking dogs, I’m still giving alex crap for not getting one from you. I also like this thread. This was my first decoy trapline mutt Marv, we learned a lot together. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like the looks of that dog. You don't have him anymore?

Alex should have taken the tan leopard male. My youngest boy has laid claim to that dog now. He's got a good nose but isn't nearly as interested in tangling with a coyote quite yet. He's only seen a few.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/26/19 05:52 PM

Thanks he was cool one, father was jack russel x Airedale our of Odon corr, momma was cur x Airedale from Scott Phillips. We had gone back to MO for our first kids baby shower deal and I left him with a friend and he got hit by a semi. Bad deal. Alex swears he’s gonna get a dog this spring.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 05:12 AM

Great pics!! Glad you brought this thread back to life. Gus has been really coming around at 3 years old. Here is some pics from this year.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 05:21 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 05:23 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 05:25 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 12:35 PM

[Linked Image]
Old picture of my Lacey I had. Unfortunately he was hit by a car and had to be put down.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 12:55 PM

[Linked Image]

Mountain Feist. Best treeing dog I've ever been around, loves to chase coons in the park at 4:30 AM when we go for a run. He has hooked claws and if not on a lead he can climb trees seriously. Has a great nose, huge ears and great hearing, and can see things really far away even in dark. His name is Ernie, was a rescue from Oklahoma. Been an awesome pet, but skittish as (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). You can tell he had a rough start to life..kennel and house trained, will run 4-5 miles with me nonstop in mornings. This weekend will be his first on trapline. Setting a few this morning so we have something to check in AM.

Here he is when he arrived off the plane from Oklahoma landing in Lincoln with his brothers. Been an awesome addition to our family for sure!
[Linked Image]

Will keep you posted this season on how he does. Weve been training on coyote tracks and poo with him all summer, same with coon sign.

Jim
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 03:18 PM

Here's mine for this year his name is Harley

Attached picture harley.jpg

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 03:31 PM

Ok we put a few sets out this AM. Dog had an absolute blast! Digging in dirt, peeing on places to mark (those are now coyote sets grin), and it was nose to the ground at every stop. We found this cool old Culvert with a nice coon trail under it and piles of coon crap everywhere.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/28/19 10:45 PM

Had a nice little Thanksgiving red this morning.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/29/19 12:44 AM

[Linked Image]
Not trapline dogs but great pets nonetheless. Cooper, on the left, passed away Sept.19. One of the best dogs you could ask for. He was a trip colored English coon hound. Great personality, great all around friend. Ginger is an awesome red tick coon hound. She is much more laid back, but that is due to her being 11, going on 12.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 11/29/19 01:10 AM

Remi my new lab, she is slowly coming along. Loves going right up to the catches shouldn't be long she will get introduced to a bobcat lol. [Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/01/19 12:59 PM

Me and Gus had a rowdy coyote yesterday. [Linked Image]
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/02/19 02:10 PM

[Linked Image]

nova is a british Staffordshire terrier and a great trapline dog only issue I have is she has to stay in the truck on catches cause she thinks shes 10feet tall and yote bite proof. she finds more sign than I ever could and is just a joy to have on the line with me. I thinki need to quit being a sissy and so worried that she'll get torn up and let her out on a lead for a while when we pull up to a catch maybe she will calm down and not want to run in and get tore up. she sure is the best dog ive ever owned she has a real good handle on her unless there is something in a trap then she has a mind of her own. she is almost 4 and 18lbs of pure muscle. smallest staffy I have ever seen.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/03/19 04:57 PM

Here is Gator and his slightly less interested brother Uno.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/03/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Trav Mt.
Me and Gus had a rowdy coyote yesterday. [Linked Image]

Pretty coyote Trav!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/04/19 12:18 AM

Well...Ernie the wonder dog seems to like it out here!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: John04

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/04/19 04:42 AM

This is Kris, our purebred German Shepherd. I mainly trap coon so he likes to help dispatch.

Attached picture IMAG0216.jpg

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/04/19 11:43 AM

Ernie the wonder dog and another coon early this AM...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/04/19 12:28 PM

Just got a pup how do you teach them to stay out of your set.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/04/19 12:35 PM

hate to say it but let em get in it once.
Posted By: Trad bow

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/04/19 01:08 PM

I set a trap up on edge of yard and when my GSP got close I gave him some high intensity stimulation with the e-collar. I can lay traps in truck or out on line and he will walk way around them. It is also the way dogs are trained for snake avoidance.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/04/19 02:13 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/16/19 08:14 PM

Gator hanging out after I made a cat set. He finally figured out what a trap feels like on his foot this weekend too. Hopefully hes a quick learner and stays out of them now. He did great riding the four wheeler around too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/16/19 09:12 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 12/16/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by mcrobinson
Gator hanging out after I made a cat set. He finally figured out what a trap feels like on his foot this weekend too. Hopefully hes a quick learner and stays out of them now. He did great riding the four wheeler around too.

[Linked Image]

Good looking pup!!
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/27/22 09:18 AM

T
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/27/22 11:25 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SoDaker

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/28/22 02:52 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ant Grit

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/28/22 10:16 PM

Nice looking female SoDaker
Posted By: Pofarmer10

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/28/22 10:27 PM

What kind of gun is that SoDaker? Looks sharp! smile
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/28/22 10:46 PM

[Linked Image]
Built for feed not speed.Meanest thing you've ever seen if he's thinks he's not in harms way.

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/29/22 10:35 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These dogs (Rusty and Boone) sure showed me a TON and sure are missed a ton as well........oh, the times we had together.

Tons of stories........one of favorites: I removed the back seat from my truck and the dog rode down low under a shelf I built in the back where the back seat was......for guns, ammo, binos, lunch and the other 1000 things we carry trapping. A piece of hog panel was attached between the two bucket seats and they could stick their heads through to get a pat on the head or a snack from ol' Dad.

Throughout the course of a day, they'd hear me talking to people outside of my truck.....farmers, hired hands, etc. Paid NO attention to it.....

BUT, if I'd go through a drive-window for a coffee or a burger, they'd hear the voice on the speaker and their tails would start going a million miles an hour......thump thump thump thump......because they knew they were getting a burger or snack for themselves!

I'd pull up to speaker and the person would say......"Can I help you?" and the tails would commence! Not sure if it was the sound through the speaker being different OR if they could smell the restaurant or both, but it was fun to see play out every time!

Oh, if I'd pull up to a coyote in a trap and "woof" them up, the tails would do the same, but they'd start whining and whimpering too, so I assume they liked battling with coyotes more than Scooby Snacks!

Zagman
Posted By: SoDaker

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/29/22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pofarmer10
What kind of gun is that SoDaker? Looks sharp! smile

They’re both Remington 700s.
Posted By: GrayWolfandPack

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/30/22 02:41 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/30/22 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
[Linked Image]
Built for feed not speed.Meanest thing you've ever seen if he's thinks he's not in harms way.

Now that is my kinda dog!

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/30/22 03:28 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/30/22 05:37 PM

Mark, surprised you did not get a new pup or two.
Posted By: Trapper1960

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/30/22 09:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Trap line and all around companion,
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/31/22 12:18 AM

[Linked Image]

And Dottie at rest lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Plottpower

Re: Trap line dogs. Let's see yours. - 10/31/22 03:34 AM

[Linked Image]