Home

Coyote catch problems

Posted By: Hoyt38

Coyote catch problems - 12/30/17 12:55 PM

I have had a few traps out going on 7 days. The 1st. night we had a light covering of snow and the next morning I could see that 3 sets were visited but not worked. I thought it is just a matter of time, but so far I have not had any luck getting them to work my sets. Other than tracks, two of my sets have had kick backs show up a couple of feet away and I had a cow patty for a backing and it was thrown back several feet by I assume a Coyote.
Yesterday I added another trap on the back side of a couple of dirt holes to try and connect with the circlers.
Any idea why they wont work my sets? I am using good bait / Lures and I drive by the sets to check them. I used a heaping spoon full of bait and just a small stick with lure on it.
Posted By: Creek

Re: Coyote catch problems - 12/30/17 01:16 PM

Some times a bait or lure can be to loud causing a coyote to shy off.
Give it a little more time. Maybe don`t use as much bait or lure next time.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 12/30/17 04:19 PM

Thanks Creek, the bait is RK Predator plus and Widow maker. The lure was Fox Frenzy & Cherry red. The RK is stronger than the widow maker, but not super strong.
I didn't see any new activity today, but did have my 2nd. Bobcat for this year. Hopefully we will have a season for them in 2019.
Posted By: Digger Catcher1

Re: Coyote catch problems - 12/30/17 09:15 PM

Hoyt. What part of Indiana you from? Try putting just a little skunk smell in the hole.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 12/31/17 01:22 AM

DC, I am from southeastern IN. What part of Indiana are you from?

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/02/18 07:35 AM

Hoyt I'm in south central IN. I've been trapping for about 50 years now. I'll be 64 my next birthday. I've caught 45 so far this year. If they are coming in to your sets you are on the right spot. Make sure you are bedding your traps so they are rock solid and do not move. Try putting in another set a few feet away with a different smell this works well for me. Try a flat set and blend it in really good. Good luck Digger.
Posted By: dirt trapper

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/02/18 10:20 AM

Any luck yet ?. The kick back must be from the lure smell.Have you tried a scent post yet ,with bobcat urine !!.
I had the kick backs the other night ,I had 2 foxes 10 feet apart. 20 feet away - 5 or 6 spots was all torn up.
The male fox had acouple battle scarcs.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/02/18 07:58 PM

Thanks DC & DT, eventually I will get these rascals figured out. I use to trap fox when we had the numbers and never had a problem, but it appears Coyotes are in a different league. I have a flat set and a post set using a cow leg bone. These only had urine. I am thinking with as cold as it has been I probably should have put some skunky lure alone with the urine. I make sure that the
I don't have any Bobcat urine. I do have fox & coyote urine.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/04/18 12:46 PM

Hoyt. A little secret. Quit using urine on your dirt holes and flat sets you'll thank me. Digger
Posted By: tbn

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/04/18 01:03 PM

????
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/04/18 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Digger Catcher1
Hoyt. A little secret. Quit using urine on your dirt holes and flat sets you'll thank me. Digger
is that all urine or just k9 seem cat would be ok.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/04/18 09:10 PM

I don't use any urine on my DH set's, but I do on the flat sets.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/04/18 09:30 PM

I had the same issues early on also. I was getting a lot of walk bys and stop and turns. I learned that I was using to much bait and lure. They could smell it from 10 feet away and then move on. Very frustrating. I began reducing the bait, using RK Predator Plus I use about a pea size glob and a few chunks of fresh beaver meat down the hole, this worked. Also my hay sets and flat sets get only a drop of gland lure and about 1/2 ounce of urine.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 01:21 PM

Matt28. Have you ever seen a dog walk up to his food bowl and take a pee on it before he eats it. Digger

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 01:29 PM

Matt28. Just my opinion dirt holes and flat sets a little gland lure. Save the urine for post sets. Digger

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 02:05 PM

Hey digger I agree I don't use k9 pee much, I made a similar comment once about not using pee at a dirt hole and got told it was fine. I know it works but I just don't think it's natural for urine smell at a dirt hole full of food. That's why I asked I fully agree with you but know other will not.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 02:25 PM

A wild animal Is not anything like your In the house pet.
I just about always use Urine at a set but not In the hole or on the pattern.
Posted By: Ken Smith

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 02:35 PM

Hmm...

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 02:42 PM

There has been thousands of animals caught at a hole with urine and I know that but I think the same animals could have been caught with out the urine and just bait and lure. But that's just how I have done things and it has become a habit. I do use cat urine if I use it at a hole.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 02:48 PM

What's your thoughts Ken lol. I just don't think that when the coyote is aproching the dirt hole and he smells urine and thinks o crap I better go check that out. I figure he smells the urine and thinks well crap some one beat me to it, guess I will look for any thing that may be left.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 03:12 PM

I think that I haven't had more than 1 yote in two weeks and I'm sour about it.
I will try this out and see what happens.
If bobcat only works and I do better without any at all I may have to start making more post sets to use up the 2.5 gallons of urine I have.

I am interested to see. I'll make two new sets today without any urine. We will see.
I sometimes squirt urine in the hole. As soon as my wife is able to do a bit more I'll spend some extra time at the ranch and pull some dead sets and make some new ones.
Two days ago I had time to add MORE urine and gland lure to many sets and added castor to most of my post sets.

I had my dog with me in the truck a couple weeks ago and I squirted a drop of fox urine on the wheel well of the truck bed and he rolled all in it I stopped using fox urine at dirthole after that.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 06:39 PM

One the best BAITS ever made calls for urine in the bait solution...

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 06:41 PM

Trying diffent things is the key to seeing what works best for you and the situation you are in. I never use many post sets for coyotes for the fact they squirt and go and I have better luck at flat sets and dirt holes. If I ran more post sets for coyotes then I would use more k9 urine. I like post sets with caster for cats, they will rub and rub till they get caught. If you bought good urine there is a lot you could do with the 2 gallon you have. Save all them glands and make some lure.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: TNcat
One the best BAITS ever made calls for urine in the bait solution...
this is a good point I would almost bet the bait is a loud bait that they want to dig out and roll on. I think that's a thing that should be kept in mind. What will the coyote want with the bait I put in this hole? Will he roll on it or eat it? If I dig a deep hole and put some loud bait in the hole with no trap and the coyote can't get it out he will roll on the hole any way.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 08:09 PM

Why not make a kick scratch set exactly where the coyote kick scratched? Make it look like the coyote did it. Use coyote gland lure on a small clump of grass..

Set it up like you see it....think about what you are looking at and why the coyote did what he did..

In other words carry it to the coyote instead of trying to get the coyote to come to you...

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/05/18 11:27 PM

I agree you can catch fox,coyotes with urine on the backing but if you don't your possum and skunk and deer problems will a lot less frequent.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/06/18 01:52 AM

Set two today without any urine, thinking about adding post/flat sets close to have some kind of urine smell around.
I will let yall know how it works.
Ken

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/06/18 02:48 AM

Ken if you use a good quality bait and a little dab of gland lure (it can be any good red fox, coyote,bobcat or even mink gland lure.) I know you will have success. Sometimes I put a little dab of skunk lure in the hole also. I personally use only red fox urine on my post sets and blended in
with surrounding area. Flat set use a good food lure and a good smear of gland on rock,log,bone or what ever you use. Good Luck Digger
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/06/18 05:27 AM

Use of urine or lack of isnt the problem.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/06/18 12:01 PM

Cat pee for me. Every set every time. LLL

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/06/18 12:38 PM

Coyote Combine you are suppose to be trapping coons,lol.Ring Ring
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/06/18 01:02 PM

I don't use urine at every set but at least one set per location. If I only had one type to use it would be red fox. Low man on the totem pole. This time of year I use more than earlier. Just a short squirt is all that's needed if its the good stuff.
LL from your post on FB you need to change that to Coyote combine. Good work man
Posted By: red mt

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/06/18 06:37 PM

If you are using good bait lure on location they will dig down to it promise
This coyote is from this morning in a bunch of snow.
Posted By: coykill

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/06/18 11:38 PM

Asa Lennon told me he has never seen the difference between using coyote, fox or bobcat urine at a set. He said any one will catch the other animal.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/07/18 12:10 AM

Nice yote Red, If they want it they'll get it.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/07/18 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: coykill
Asa Lennon told me he has never seen the difference between using coyote, fox or bobcat urine at a set. He said any one will catch the other animal.

I been my experience as well , sometimes a urine of a nother species is more attractive
Thanks Gary howdy

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/07/18 12:22 AM

X2
Posted By: 4GIRLS

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/07/18 01:06 AM

I'm not a big numbers guy, but this year I doubled my catches by the advice of a guy on here I ran with for three days in KS. Don't get fancy, dirt hole dirt hole dirt hole, and bedding you trap is THE MOST IMPORTANT factor! In addition to that, I used a fraction of the bait and lure this season. I had been baiting and luring with the "don't skimp on the bait" mentality. If a coyote can get his fill your bait and lure from three feet away, he will. Lesson I put in to play this year, using a knife tip of bait and a very small amount of lure, they seem to want to investigate it further/cranks up their curiosity! They just seemed to hang around longer (by seeing their tracks at the set) and eventually commit! Worked for me. Good luck!

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/07/18 12:38 PM

A little hint.When people say less bait or this or that,it all depends on how strong it is. I am quite sure many call deer meat Bait and I don't think you can over use fresh bait.Also depends on temperature. I mean,we use and want skunky in cold weather but doesn't exist much in the fall or summer. Maybe you done better and used less because the weather was unseasonably warm.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/07/18 01:11 PM

You can't rely on bait/lure/urine to draw them more than 3 feet. They trip over my sets and still some don't commit, just the way it is and always has been.. One thing that trapping with low populations teaches, Be patient...

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/07/18 03:53 PM

Dead cow or horse is a lot of bait or lure. Lol but I am sure he had his reasons.
Just like digging a dirt hole no bait or lure or urine and still catch coyotes and fox . Just on the fresh dirt smell catches alot of puppy's every year that bait and lure that get the credit for.
Posted By: wamp

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/08/18 12:53 AM

I have read lot of these information exchanges, some saying don't use urine you could catch them with out it, guess we will never know if that dog would have been caught or not.
Not saying which way is right or wrong I have caught coyotes with urine at dirt hole and flat sets as well as no urine on either just think something got their attention, what ever it might of been.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/08/18 01:05 PM

trappergbus. If you can't rely on bait,lure and urine to draw them in, then there is thousands of trappers out there doing it all wrong. If you are on LOCATION and your set is made so that the prevailing wind is blowing into their face as they approach they will smell it long before they get within three feet. They live by their nose and eye site. Digger
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/08/18 01:49 PM

Maybe those coyotes just needed something different to commit to working the set. Not every coyote will work every set.

Re: Coyote catch problems - 01/11/18 10:06 PM

Ken Smith. Was just wondering how the sets with out urine worked out for you. Digger
© 2024 Trapperman Forums