Home

Good Cat Season

Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Good Cat Season - 02/13/18 07:00 PM

Desert_Fox_Trapper and I had a pretty good second half of the season. Our best cat season together by far and we are pulling the last of our traps tomorrow after this little storm moves thru. If you follow either of us on Instagram or YouTube, then you've been able to keep up. But I know some old timers on here probably don't know how to use either haha. Here are some of my favorite cat pictures from this season.

There is still a couple weeks of season left, but we want to make sure all our fur is dry and cleaned up real well. The way a cat pelt is put up and taken care of has a strong influence on how much someone is willing to pay. Buyers don't want to spend $1,000 on a cat that would have any potential to slip. We want to make sure we have enough time to get everything looking as good as we possible can.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/13/18 08:23 PM

Good fur handling is important for all fur but moreso for a valuable pelt.Nothing worse than seeing a nice pelt that could have brought big money ruined thru poor fur handling.
Nice cats.Post a pic when you have them ready to ship,if you have time.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/13/18 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco
Good fur handling is important for all fur but moreso for a valuable pelt.Nothing worse than seeing a nice pelt that could have brought big money ruined thru poor fur handling.
Nice cats.Post a pic when you have them ready to ship,if you have time.

None of these will be shipped. We take everything to the Nevada Fur Sale in Fallon. Not only is it probably the best cat sale in the world, but also because I want the commission for my fur to go to the Nevada Trappers Association who I believe (might be a little bias) is the best Trapping Association in the country. They do so much for us every year.

But I’ll definitly post an end of the year trap shed picture.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/13/18 11:07 PM

Nice job Cat Trapper - and thanks for letting us "ride along". I always enjoy your and others' desert cat trapping pics and stories, such a stark contrast to what I'm used to. I hope you do well at Fallon and bring those averages up! Good on you for supporting our state association like that too.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/13/18 11:12 PM

Very nice, best of luck at Falon.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 12:37 AM

Very nice

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 01:34 AM

cat trapper you prefer double longs or coils?
Posted By: CWP

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 01:41 AM

How do you guys anchor with cable? Do you tie them off to a tree or use drags?
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 04:39 AM

Buyers dont want to spend 1000 on your best cat, and they wont, good luck to ya.

Comb away...........and nevada stretch.

legs together boys!

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By: bacatrapper
Buyers dont want to spend 1000 on your best cat, and they wont, good luck to ya.

legs together boys!

We always Nevada stretch and pin the legs together. Every year weve been lucky enough to get a way higher average then the sale average. Last we got a few we’ll over the $1k mark. Hoping for the same. If not, I’m sure we will do just fine. We are 100% hobby trappers and do it purely for the fun of being out there. Don’t even care if I we break even or not. We are blessed with some of the nicest colored cats where in from so it could always be worse haha.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: CWP
How do you guys anchor with cable? Do you tie them off to a tree or use drags?

We use both but mainly cable to trees or brush. Cable is easier to carry the chain and drags but we do have a good number of drags

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: trappergbus
cat trapper you prefer double longs or coils?

I prefer double longsprings but use about 50/50 on coils to longsprings

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 05:16 PM

Thanks, do you mind posting a picture of your cable set up? I like the idea of using cable, but not sure the best way to set some up.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: CWP
Thanks, do you mind posting a picture of your cable set up? I like the idea of using cable, but not sure the best way to set some up.

Better yet, I got a video.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 07:32 PM

Awesome thanks!
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 10:41 PM

Nice job!!! See you in Fallon maybe.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/14/18 11:12 PM

Thanks man.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 01:59 AM

I bet when you get older you invest in a table top anvil or at least a tie plate on the table to hammer them ferrules . the onlyu time you will catch me squatting like that is if I'm making a set
Posted By: IDTrapman

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 02:59 AM

Buyers dont want to spend 1000 on your best cat, and they wont...

Now why would anybody go a say that? How on earth do you know what their put-up cats look like? And more importantly, how do you know what buyers will pay for them?

I hope they clear that $1k mark with several of their cats! For two reasons... to show the pessimists their wrong and because they're a couple good fellow trappers that deserve it!

Good luck to you two! Keep up the good work and let us know how you do.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 04:01 AM

Amen.
Posted By: Lockjaw52

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 05:17 AM

Good luck at the sale boys. Kick some butt..
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 06:15 AM

Hope the Falon sale goes better than the Nephi sale did last weekend.Last year my wife and I averaged $500 on our twelve cats (Utah limit - six each). This year we had a bit better quality cat on average. But only averaged $282 at the sale. Disappointing.

Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 06:25 AM

Utah sale results are posted on the associations website:

Average: http://www.utahtrappers.org/docs/2018_Fur_Sale_Average.pdf

Details by lot: http://www.utahtrappers.org/docs/2018_Fur_Sale.pdf

Our cats are lot 1307 thru 1318 in the same order (left to right) in the photos above.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 05:14 PM

cat_trapper_nv
Thanks for sharing all the great stories, pictures and videos.

mac
Posted By: red mt

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: TRAP76
Hope the Falon sale goes better than the Nephi sale did last weekend.Last year my wife and I averaged $500 on our twelve cats (Utah limit - six each). This year we had a bit better quality cat on average. But only averaged $282 at the sale. Disappointing.

Nicely done up fur.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 06:09 PM

What is imo missing on these reports but a lot work I do understand and could not expect anyone to write it out is lengths and grades. That is a big part of the big picture
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 06:51 PM

I think those prices are in line with the cats I see, with the exception of the last one, from the picture it looks like it should be the 2nd highest price wise. looks to be mainly low "b" high "c" bellies. Nice put up!!

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/15/18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Monster Toms
I think those prices are in line with the cats I see, with the exception of the last one, from the picture it looks like it should be the 2nd highest price wise. looks to be mainly low "b" high "c" bellies. Nice put up!!

I agree, that last cat I though would do higher. We have one or two B cats (one is 44") and the rest are all a grade, very clear, and only 1 cat under 36". So hopefully we don't do too bad, but it all depends on how many buys show up to the sale, and what they are looking for.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/16/18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Lazarus
Nice job!!! See you in Fallon maybe.

We will be there Saturday. Can’t miss out on the BBQ

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/16/18 04:50 AM

Fallon this weekend or next?
Posted By: derek masenthin

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/16/18 12:36 PM

Good job guys I've been following you guys on you tube glad your guys hard work paid off congrats on a good season.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/17/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: red mt
Fallon this weekend or next?

Next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/17/18 06:18 PM

23rd-25th

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/18/18 02:21 AM

Thanks guys I looked it up lol
Posted By: ApacheKid

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/18/18 03:41 AM

Some good looking Cats. Good luck at the sale.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/18/18 10:45 PM

Awesome job guys, and yes I watched your videos and well done. Good luck at fallon.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/25/18 07:19 AM

legs together boys!

You were correct. They wanted to spend $1K on our top 4 cats. Very happy with our prices at the Fallon sale!!!!
Posted By: IDTrapman

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/25/18 02:58 PM

Heck yeah! That's what I's hoping to hear from you cat trapper nv! Way to go boys!

...nothin like a little in-your-face to go a long with it too and prove those nah-sayers wrong. smile

Surely you took pics? Would like to see 'em. Your 1k cats and the others too.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/25/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: IDTrapman
Heck yeah! That's what I's hoping to hear from you cat trapper nv! Way to go boys!

...nothin like a little in-your-face to go a long with it too and prove those nah-sayers wrong. smile

Surely you took pics? Would like to see 'em. Your 1k cats and the others too.

I’ll post the pictures tomorrow when I have some time.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/25/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

legs together boys!

You were correct. They wanted to spend $1K on our top 4 cats. Very happy with our prices at the Fallon sale!!!!

That's exceptional,considering the highest was $1,058.Congratulations!I'd be beyond happy.

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/25/18 05:13 PM

Our top lot had two cats exceeded Friday’s high. I just got Saturday’s averages and high and it looks like it missed it by $5 for the top lot at the Saturday sale!

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/25/18 11:12 PM

cool
Posted By: MooseMasher

Re: Good Cat Season - 02/27/18 01:52 AM

Yeah I got screwed out for the last time at Utah. Shipping my stuff to NAFA from now on.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums