Home

Duke #2 4 coil traps

Posted By: Keef

Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/22/18 10:31 PM

I saw they were on sale this month. I like the extra base plate and bottom swivel so I was thinking of ordering some. My question, I'm an older guy and wondered how hard the 4 coil would be to set. I have no problem with 2 coil Dukes.

If the 4 coil is too hard to set, is it difficult to remove the extra springs?
Posted By: TheBig1

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/22/18 10:52 PM

I broke my wrist in the beginning of October. I didn't let anything stop me. I bought a pair of the Bridger trap setters. I just ordered a dozen of the same traps that you're talking about. I'm hoping that my setters fit.
Posted By: scheide

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 12:09 AM

I wouldn't think the 4-coils would be that much harder to set. If they are, the extra springs are easily removed with a pliars and/or screwdriver.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 12:57 AM

Or you can order a onehand setter from Dave Sheldon davidfsheldonjr@gmail.com or send him a pm on here
His name on here is OneHandSetters. He makes a great setter for all different types of traps.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 01:40 AM

Dukes springs are very stiff. No need for that trap to be 4 coiled new.

The last 4 coiled Dukes I bought were 1.75s. I took them off immediately after setting one.

But the Duke 4 coils are attached in the middle (one piece spring). Best way to remove them is put a screwdriver under them in the middle and pry them off. That way, they come off pretty easily and no disassemble. I suspect the new #2s are the same way?
Posted By: Rhino7

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 02:43 AM

They are pretty stout and with the smaller frame of a #2 they arent the easiest trap to set. I wouldnt be concerned, if its too stout then take the extras off and it will still definitely hold a coyote
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 02:06 PM

The first thing I did when I got mine was to remove the extra set of springs. It was a struggle for me to set them 4 coiled.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 02:22 PM

I have no trouble setting Duke 4's 4 coiled.... with my feet. Not a fan of 4 coiled traps in general.
Posted By: Keef

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 05:54 PM

How do the Dukes hold up to coyotes? I know they can be tough on traps.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Keef
How do the Dukes hold up to coyotes? I know they can be tough on traps.

The smaller traps hold up much better if you just short chain them. Keep em pinned down.
Posted By: Dent Cnty Traper

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/23/18 08:03 PM

I bought the #2 4 coiled offset jaws and I like them just fine. They've held everything that got in them. I did laminate and night latch them too. I like them as they are 4 coiled.
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/24/18 01:59 AM

The Duke #2 Square Jaw is a stout trap that will hold coyotes. I have left mine four coiled and they are plenty strong.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/25/18 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: DENT COUNTY NEWB
I bought the #2 4 coiled offset jaws and I like them just fine. They've held everything that got in them. I did laminate and night latch them too. I like them as they are 4 coiled.

This to me would make them a acceptable trap, but I do not have the time or talent to modify traps, so after 2 years of using these traps stock, I am not a fan and will no longer use them. For the price you can put more in the ground and if yôu can modify them they will work,

I think this should be considered by each trapper. JMO

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/25/18 06:30 PM

My question would be. Why do you think that night latching and laminating these traps would make them expectable.
What are your issues with them with the way they are?
Posted By: KBAR

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/25/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dustytinner
Or you can order a onehand setter from Dave Sheldon davidfsheldonjr@gmail.com or send him a pm on here
His name on here is OneHandSetters. He makes a great setter for all different types of traps.

X2 best thing I’ve done was buy the setters from Dave. Makes them extremely easy to set.
Posted By: Coyotejody1979

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/27/18 03:38 PM

Debris gap is the only reason I haven't ordered

Re: Duke #2 4 coil traps - 04/27/18 10:07 PM

If you fine sift your trap bed material then It shouldn't be any problem.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums