Home

Chain, Machine or Twist link ?

Posted By: trapper les

Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/29/18 04:24 PM

Any preferences ? I don't have a trap with twist link on it. I'd like some opinions for the future .
Posted By: scheide

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/29/18 05:49 PM

Like one guy said. Probably no advantage from one over the other, but the twist link sure looks cool!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/29/18 05:53 PM

Machine chain just does everything better. Twist can get into some nasty knots, not that machine cant. Machine stores and comes out of storage a lot easier. If you can fine twisted(kinkless) welded, its even better but buying it new is expensive.

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/29/18 06:16 PM

I am talking about Twisted (kinkless welded). Not twin loop.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/29/18 10:43 PM

Twist link takes up less room in the trap bed, but coyotes chew on both LOL..
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/30/18 12:11 AM

I like the way twist link looks,handles and settles in the bed but I'm not sure there's enough advantage to worry about.I just like the twist link so I use it a lot.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/30/18 12:23 AM

I have traps with both, but I don't see an advantage with either. I like the looks of twist link, especially on 3N's, couldn't tell ya why though. A foot of #3 twist link is heavier than #3 machine chain. That could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the situation. I pick up cheap chain and pieces at yard sales and auctions when I can.

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/30/18 10:21 PM

Twist link just plain looks cool grin
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 04/30/18 10:56 PM

Cool looks don’t kill coyotes.

If they did, I’d have killed em all! grin
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/01/18 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Boone Liane

Funny right there!

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/01/18 03:08 AM

So...twist link is your preference ? lol
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/01/18 06:04 PM

I use tire chains for my coyote traps, they are super hard and cheap if you get them at auctions or yard sales
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/01/18 06:37 PM

Been there done that.

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/01/18 07:38 PM

One thing to consider if you plan to use twist link,is that due to the twist,there is less space inside the link.A J hook will fit through there but you will probably have to open up an end link to get a quick link through.If you look at 3N's and Newhouses with kinkless chain,there is a round,welded ring connecting the chain to the swivel.

I usually put the end link in the vice and use a screwdriver to take the twist out of that link.I then tap on the top of the link to make it open more.You have to make sure the weld isn't cracked,after doing this.If it does,cut it off and repeat.Thirty years ago,the welds rarely cracked.With today's chain,occasionally I work one that does.

I've used a drift pin to open links but with today's chain,I get more cracked welds so I quit using it.It might have worked better on old chain.

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/01/18 08:31 PM

x2 lol
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/02/18 12:25 AM

Ideally, I'd have good #2 machine chain on all my traps, maybe #3 on a few but I have never had any issues with #2. I too like the looks of the twist-link chain, but I don't think its any better on traps than machine chain. Something like this... http://www.minntrapprod.com/MB-2-HD-Straight-Link-Chain/productinfo/MB2CH-01/
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/02/18 01:01 AM

The twist link packs with mud more than the straight link IMO, and it's a little harder to clean.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/02/18 11:32 AM

Straight-link, not twist-link.

I've converted all my wolf foot-holds to straight-link. No galvanized, stainless, or nickel-plated, so it will take a rust and a dye the same as my traps. The straight-link is stronger (tensile) than comparable-size twist-link, and in summer trapping where I catch lions, black bears, and possibilities of grizzlies, I want the chains strong. Also, the twist-link seems to pack more mud, so every time I boil and clean (deodorize) my gear, my boiling pot partially fills with glop when using twist-link.

Just my opinion, after many years of trying both types of chain.

Jack

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/03/18 04:24 AM

I appreciate all the thoughtful comments .
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/03/18 10:37 AM

I love how twist link flows and folds in nicely to a bed, but it does have some disadvantages over straight link. For one, the gaps in twist link are narrower and some rivets or quicklinks won't fit well through the links. It's really noticeable on #2 twist link, larger rivets and j-hook don't fit very easily in the links unless you widen them a little and that may weaken the welds. See in these pics of my #2 longs with short length of #2 twist link between swivels? I actually had to widen the end links to accept the j-hook for swivels, seriously. Larger #3 twist link no problem but #2 twist link it's a little tight in the link gaps.
I'm a fan of both but yes straight link is preferable to me these days too.
Either one is light years better than non-welded twin loop you get on some traps standard off the shelf these days.
Jim
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/03/18 11:56 AM

Even some #3 twist link has a narrower link that makes getting a heavy duty hook through tricky.

I’ve got two boxes of #3 twist link, one has a noticeably narrower link and like jabne said, j-hooks bind up in. The other is good.

I have no preference. Twist or straight, whatever I can get cheapest. But ONLY #3.
Posted By: nightstalker1

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/07/18 01:04 PM

Take the twist link end loop
put in a vice on it's ends
tighten down a little to make it more of an "O" shape but just a little
"J" hooks won't bind anymore
works for #2 and #3 twist link

Try one and you'll see

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/26/18 11:25 PM

Posted By: AmendII71

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/29/18 01:08 AM

I have worked with both. The twist chain of course is mostly made in the USA and better quality but the straight link sure is easier to work with in the vice and a little cheaper. Guess it depends on how suborn you are about Made in the USA!
Posted By: JComer

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 05/29/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Taximan

in your second picture where do you get them swivels?

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/20/18 03:52 PM

Jcomer,sorry,I just saw this.

Those are stainless,marine swivels.They cost about $6 each.I shop around,sometimes the bay,sometimes chain companies.The Snare Shop sells the in line version.I just use them on my wolf rigs and the size is 1/4".

The rusty trap in the other picture has Sterling swivels from Montgomery Fur.They are my favorite on coyote traps.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/20/18 10:39 PM

Any hardware/big box/cheapo depot type store will sell those chain swivels.

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/21/18 04:06 AM

Never seen them here,Bob.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/22/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cfowler

Funny right there!

That even made me laugh. Good one, Boone !
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/22/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: trappergbus
Twist link just plain looks cool grin

Especially on a dbls!!

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/22/18 05:31 PM

grinLMBO good one Ambush
Posted By: tjm

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/23/18 01:36 PM

Twist link is machine chain?

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/23/18 05:46 PM

Yes,twist link machine chain.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/23/18 07:17 PM

Thread title confused me ... all the twist loop I've seen was machine chain and only some of the straight link has been,I'll be alright though.
I only buy chain I can see and touch. Trapping places use an odd sizing system that I don't understand. "Passing link" is straight but won't kink because the links are wider. Mostly I use what ever comes with the trap til it wears, but I don't have wolves or lions.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/24/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: trappergbus
grinLMBO good one Ambush

Drooling

Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: Chain, Machine or Twist link ? - 06/25/18 12:41 PM

Twist link is awful nice when you have frozen ground. Combined with JC Connor/PIT/Sterling type swivels off the trap it makes less trap bed to dig to lay the trap flat IMO. After the first 8 inches or so I am indifferent and may use straight and crunch proof swivels.

As Boone so aptly points out, it may be more important to me than the critters.

I always use #3 or larger, going mostly to #5 on the straight now if more than a 1 1/2 trap. Too many wolves around here walking around with traps.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums