Home

Will coyotes take on a coon ?

Posted By: kyron4

Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/26/18 05:58 AM

I've had coyotes destroy red fox in a trap, but never had a coon messed with. Will a coyote try to kill a trapped coon or do they just leave them be ? -Thanks
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/26/18 11:51 AM

I've had one coon killed in a trap. average size adult. A friend told me bobcats will kill coons but I couldn't see enough sign to confirm what did my coon in.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/26/18 12:14 PM

Coyotes will mill around a caught coon but rarely attack them.
Posted By: BFP

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/26/18 01:37 PM

I've never had a coyote mess with a coon. I think they know better.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/26/18 03:42 PM

I've had dogs kill coon In traps. That's what coon hounds do.
I'm betting a couple of coyotes would have no problem doing In a coon caught In a trap.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/27/18 01:58 AM

They will catch, kill and eat a free ranging coon. I've chunks of them in their stool.
A coon in a trap may be a whole different issue. They are forced to face their aggressor rather than try to flee. Fleeing is not a good plan against a coyote.
Posted By: luvcanids

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/27/18 10:49 AM

Fisher love coon meat
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/27/18 04:08 PM

They will take on coons. A few years ago i had a dp set infront of a cam. Had a pullout with some coon fur on it. Come to find out the coon that was in it, kicked 2 yotes butts with one hand tied behind his back lol. One yote came and thought he had a free meal outa the coon, but the coon showed him wrong. Later the yote came back with a buddy and the coon showed them both up, and later pulling out. We got the entire thing in pictures
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/27/18 04:37 PM

Those coyotes weren't hungry they were just harassing that coon. LOL
Posted By: Redeyesheds

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/28/18 12:11 AM

I say coons can hold their own and coyotes avoid getting an injury
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/29/18 04:47 PM

I had a coyote visiting coons caught in DPS's almost nightly. He would come in check the coons caught in DPS in what appeared to be curiosity. Until the first night I set a foothold there. Then he was just dead. I have no doubt if that coyote wanted the coons dead, they'd be dead.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 05/29/18 04:50 PM

I have had some bit up pretty good but not killed
Posted By: dscifres

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 06/13/18 10:54 PM

Same here, Larry.

Dave
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 06/14/18 07:12 PM

Coyotes can be pretty hard on young coon in open country.

Especially two coyotes on one coon.

Once coon get to be a certain size though, I think they’re pretty safe. Kinda like bobcats. Young are susceptible, big old ones pretty much go wherever they want.

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 06/15/18 05:49 PM

I don't think ther's a tougher animal out their than a big old coon. They are pretty fearless. Coyotes realize that.

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 06/15/18 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: WadeRyan
I had a coyote visiting coons caught in DPS's almost nightly. He would come in check the coons caught in DPS in what appeared to be curiosity. Until the first night I set a foothold there. Then he was just dead. I have no doubt if that coyote wanted the coons dead, they'd be dead.

Darn good draw for yotes huh???
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 06/17/18 08:24 AM

I had one torn apart in a trap years ago at one of my better coyote sets. Torn apart like they do the fox
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 06/17/18 11:31 AM

Had small coon killed by coyotes but never a big one. Had hogs kill small and large coon before.

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 06/17/18 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: trappergbus
Originally Posted By: WadeRyan

Darn good draw for yotes huh???

Seemed to be for him. It was coons on a feeder. I'd catch coons about nightly there, and had a trail camera on it. You wouldn't have known the coyote was coming to check out the caught coons until I checked my camera. I posted the pictures a few years back...thinking back I don't think it was the first night, but maybe the second I caught him there. I'll do some searching.

Re: Will coyotes take on a coon ? - 06/17/18 11:36 AM

Here's a couple clear shots. When the coyote would start in on the coons it would get pretty blurry.

He's at the top of the pile for that morning's check. I still think it was the second night I put the foot hold in. I was running mainly DPS at that time as coons were the bread and butter 4-5 years ago. Like I said though I wouldn't know he was even there if I didn't have the camera. He didn't kill any coons, but he sure raised cane with them a few nights on camera before I noticed.

© 2024 Trapperman Forums