Home

Off season practice

Posted By: DEWNMOUTAIN

Off season practice - 06/10/18 01:42 PM

Morning everyone,

Does anyone else practice setting lures, digging trapsets, setting traps, etc.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: Off season practice - 06/10/18 01:54 PM

I do not. In the beginning I may be slower but after putting in a few sets it is right back to normal. My hands hurt after the first day of setting from not setting traps though.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Off season practice - 06/10/18 03:50 PM

I think what a guy should do Is practice making sets In the off season. When you approach a location you should have everything you need to make that set.
I have a buddy that's all over the location looking for a stick or a tuff of grass or maybe a rock for guiding purposes. I can be back In the truck before he even gets his trap In the ground. Leaving to much scent around In my opinion Is a No NO. And of coarse getting to more locations and getting more traps In the ground Is even more important.
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Off season practice - 06/10/18 09:32 PM

I find myself doing it every early fall. I practice making coyote sets, especially bedding the trap. Last summer I learned a easy way to bed a trap quickly and rock solid from Andy Weiser. I’m almost 50 and still learning the trade.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Off season practice - 06/11/18 07:06 PM

I pre-make Canine trap beds, dirtholes, post sets and such and prepare locations just before the start of the season. Not sure if you call that practice, I call it pre-season work.
Be ready when the bell sounds.
-Neil Olson
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Off season practice - 06/11/18 07:26 PM

Practice bedding the trap rock solid until it becomes muscle memory!
Posted By: TheBig1

Re: Off season practice - 06/11/18 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Hern
I pre-make Canine trap beds, dirtholes, post sets and such and prepare locations just before the start of the season. Not sure if you call that practice, I call it pre-season work.
Be ready when the bell sounds.
-Neil Olson

Hern, do you also set your anchors so that all you have to do is hook on the trap and bed it?
Posted By: Hern

Re: Off season practice - 06/12/18 11:50 AM

yes
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Off season practice - 06/13/18 02:28 AM

Carving a few snare trails through thick brush far ahead of season can yield an extra cat or two.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Off season practice - 06/14/18 11:06 AM

Video yourself setting a trap.
By watching the video over and over you will see for yourself where you need to improve.
KISS and practice make perfect.
Posted By: Zimmer

Re: Off season practice - 06/17/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
I think what a guy should do Is practice making sets In the off season. When you approach a location you should have everything you need to make that set.
I have a buddy that's all over the location looking for a stick or a tuff of grass or maybe a rock for guiding purposes. I can be back In the truck before he even gets his trap In the ground. Leaving to much scent around In my opinion Is a No NO. And of coarse getting to more locations and getting more traps In the ground Is even more important.

I agree 110% - I typically do not practice set making prior to the opener and that's a mistake for me - this yr I'm practicing a bit so I've got my rhythm right from go - I trap off my wheeler and use big plastic cargo boxes, one in front and a bigger one on the back - when I arrive at a location I pretty much know where those sets are going and have what I need to put them in how I want them - I also know what sets and attractants I'm using before I get to the location - I walk around the location as little as possible and try to minimize time making sets.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Off season practice - 06/17/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: DEWNMOUTAIN
Morning everyone,

Does anyone else practice setting lures, digging trapsets, setting traps, etc.
Nope, I dive into it with reckless abandon, as wide open as I can go, trying to remember just what exactly it was that worked good last time.

I just get quick at doing the same things repetitively to get more efficient.

I am usually out of shape, so I prop myself up with advil, coffee, and jelly rolls, and junk food....in order to stay healthy on the line.
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Off season practice - 06/25/18 02:44 AM

Digging a trap bed proper and bedding the trap rock solid is something I'm never satisfied with, so I practice a little each summer. But I'm a slow learner :-)
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Off season practice - 06/25/18 05:48 PM

I do like Hern. If I have poor dirt for bedding I haul some in so I'm ready for the season. I shave banks for coon and mink and move logs and put out rocks for sets. Preseason work is kind of like practice. It keeps you in touch with what the animal populations are too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums