Home

Trapping book collection

Posted By: Okiecntry

Trapping book collection - 06/20/18 09:42 PM

I counted mine and I have over 200 books now. I have books that I haven't even been able to read. I figure at an average of $10 each that will be $2,000 toward my retirement fund. LOL

My wife thinks I'm crazy and I know I am.

Who else has a bunch and any stories to go along with them?

P.S. - If you have any books for sale I know a guy that knows a guy that might be interested. wink

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/21/18 12:36 AM

I got another old book in the mail today that looks to be a good one. It is “The Timberline Trapper” by Dale Stoner. I don’t see a date but it appears to be late 70’s or early 80’s. Anyone else read this one?
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/21/18 01:50 AM

Nice collection! I have what I think is a good little collection, but nowhere near 200 books.

My friend Mac from this Forum has a very nice collection. Hopefully he chimes in at some point.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/21/18 05:07 AM

I'm working on it...love reading those old trapping articles....
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/21/18 11:42 AM

I would like to know how many Mink 6 has.

Dont recall "the timberline trapper"

I picked up "mink, mary, and me" by ferguson for 50 cents one time
Posted By: Mac

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/21/18 02:24 PM

Some day I need to do an inventory as I have a pretty good collection. I have Stoner's book that you mentioned. For some darn reason I have quite a collection of old VHS tapes and DVDS too. Probably ought to start selling some.

Mac
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/21/18 03:14 PM

I am right up there with you but don’t know how many I have but I seem to have a disease or maybe it would be an obsession because last time I did an a count it was up past 5000 and I don’t know just how many of those had to do with trapping but you can bet an awful lot of them have that or the outdoors as a subject
Posted By: remrogers

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/23/18 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Okiecntry
I got another old book in the mail today that looks to be a good one. It is “The Timberline Trapper” by Dale Stoner. I don’t see a date but it appears to be late 70’s or early 80’s. Anyone else read this one?

Dale was partnered with Dick Haynes back in the 70"s. They also ran individual lines Believe Dale wrote that book in the late 70's. Both of them were good trappers and Dale also did taxidermy work. Don't know what became of Dale, but understand Dick is still active in the Colorado Trappers Assoc. Believe he is around Grand Junction or there abouts.
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/25/18 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: the Blak Spot
I would like to know how many Mink 6 has.

Dont recall "the timberline trapper"

I picked up "mink, mary, and me" by ferguson for 50 cents one time

I just bought a copy of "Mink, Mary and Me" for 40 bucks and thought I stole it! Seems to sell pretty consistently for 100. I love collecting outdoor and trapping books. Affording to expand the collection is another thing!
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/25/18 03:51 AM

I been reading "Mink Mary and Me" now and again since the late 1960's, I'd check it out of the library.
I bought a copy about 12 years ago off eBay for about $25.
Last week I ordered "the wind and the Caribou" in paperback for $15 plus postage. I already have it in hardback.
"Born on Snowshoes" is a good book and so is James A. Carroll's book " The first 10 years in Alaska"
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/25/18 11:43 AM

Rusty - Wind and the Caribou and Fool's Gold (both by Munsterhjelm) are two of my favorites. Hadn't read the other two you mentioned, but they just got added to my list!
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/25/18 12:32 PM

"Rusty Newhouse" is a great handle. Well played.
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/25/18 06:46 PM

James A. Carroll's book was reprinted under the title "Above the Arctic Circle"
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/26/18 12:50 AM

I'm down sizing mine by taking notes as I re-read them, then will sell.
We are going the tiny-home route and need to sell 2 libraries, Dads and mine.

Re: Trapping book collection - 06/27/18 06:47 PM

Anyone heard of Harold Boyd in Hamilton Ohio? I got a lot of various old trapping books in this week and along with the books was a letter from him with a lure ingredient price list attached and a bunch of lure formulas.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums