Home

Mouse Nest ?'s.

Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/14/18 10:26 PM

Hi,
On my post :What Meats are best for predator bait making some guys were talking about raising mice and using the hay or grass from the cage they kept them in for bait, or something along that line. Could someone fill me in on all the ins-and-outs of that?
Thanks,
AuthorTrapper.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/14/18 10:39 PM

I don't raise them so to speak. I in courage them to build their nest in my mink boxes. Then in October I try to catch all the mice,and collect the nest. The mink boxes smell like mink food,the nest is a great k9 attractor, I use the mice for bait in the mink boxes.
And I collect the tiny bit of pee each mouse has. It really gives a kick to the nest in colder weather.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/16/18 01:46 AM

I don’t keep or raise mice , but I do provide bedding ! I will put newspapers or paper towels in a couple of out buildings and let the field mice do they’re thing. Put a couple of old coffee cans out with paper of any kind in them and they will turn the cans into a mouse Hilton.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/16/18 11:27 AM

Cut them open to gut the ones I grind.l remove the bladder them.
Whole frozen ones are for the mink boxes. And when I impale them on the bait spike I try to hit the bladder. Doesn't always work. But it is very small.lol
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/16/18 08:47 PM

Author Trapper,Be careful handling mice.Our mice,in the West,can harbor some bad diseases so rubber gloves etc.Be smart.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/18/18 10:31 AM

You would be better off just going to a pet store on a day they're cleaning cages and collect all the nesting in a few 5 gallon buckets. Leave a couple buckets behind and some will give you a call when they fill them. Then leach out the urine in the buckets. It will have the same effect/curiosity in a dirt hole or squirted on the ground with multiple natural odors, with a lot less work and you would triple the "stock". jmo
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/18/18 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: joepennanti
? I would think the guts would enhance the odor 02
. Guts contain bacteria we don’t want.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/18/18 12:19 PM

I put some bird seed and dry grass in my weasel boxes to encourage mice to build their nests in them.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 08/18/18 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: joepennanti
traprjohn: So you mean the guys that ground up mice for use as bait 1st remove the guts? I'm not criticizing you if that's what you're doing, and don't wish to come off as confrontational, but I have a hard time believing that that is the common practice. Here's one of the larger bait suppliers grinding whole mice, guts and all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n24zqzGcL-M

TDHP: I used to breed rodents. Rodent urine at room temperature >24hrs becomes ammonia. Same with cat litter. In fact, after a day or two the two odors are indistinguishable, at least to the human nose. For the record I don't think mice urine is worth the hassle, but if a trapper believes that it is then pet store collections probably wouldn't work. Just my $0.02

Trapping is preference and for attraction, the odor is geared for the animals nose not yours. If you can get the animal your after to visit a hole with the method of choice there is no right or wrong way. Stuff nesting from a pet store down a hole and slap a trail cam on it. Don't get wrapped around the axle, more than one way to plant a seed.
Posted By: odiferous

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 09/07/18 02:40 PM

You can also make a tincture with the nest material and use it in liquid form, too.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 09/07/18 03:01 PM

I’ve seen it done and done it myself where you ball up a wad of grass and put down a hole after baiting. I believe this was one of MR. Dobbins methods ! This ball of grass can just as easily be a balled up Mouse nest . For my porpoises I believe it gives off more sent than a mouse , whole or ground up . Definitely easier to come by for me anyway !
Posted By: TheBig1

Re: Mouse Nest ?'s. - 09/07/18 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: TDHP
You would be better off just going to a pet store on a day they're cleaning cages and collect all the nesting in a few 5 gallon buckets. Leave a couple buckets behind and some will give you a call when they fill them. Then leach out the urine in the buckets. It will have the same effect/curiosity in a dirt hole or squirted on the ground with multiple natural odors, with a lot less work and you would triple the "stock". jmo

I like this idea. I think that I'm going to have to stop down at my local pet store and ask for them to fill me up a bucket full.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums