Home

Dakota Line snare dip

Posted By: arcman

Dakota Line snare dip - 09/21/18 09:27 PM

Anyone use it?
Favorite color for snares?
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 09/22/18 03:32 AM

I've used it a bit. I like the black, the brown almost seemed bronze or something. I would resist the urge to dip them twice or more, it gums up the snare locks and slows them down. so remember to work them free a bit afterwards if you do.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 09/30/18 07:10 AM

I don't like the idea of a black snare.
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/01/18 02:01 AM

I used a few dozen of thier black cable restraints last winter with good success. They don't turn completely coal black like you might be picturing. I'd like to try the light color they have also. Pale rider I think they call them.
Posted By: H380

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/01/18 01:10 PM

If I was gonna use it I would go with the tan as it better suits my area . I was also told that it can gum up locks so I hesitate to try it .
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/01/18 01:55 PM

My question Is why?
A dull grey natural color from aged cable just about disappears when hung.
Black In my area would stand out like a sore thumb.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/02/18 12:29 AM

Its actually a dull natural bark grey. Very hard to see. Thin it down well and it works great for snares. But you do need to thin it down or it can hamper mechanical locks. It's water base so it drys quick and low odor.
Posted By: GomerPyle746

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/02/18 04:24 PM

I just ordered the Ghost Rider cable off the bat. Really like it.

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/03/18 01:29 AM

I use ghost rider too. Nice color, and they don't gum up. Just run the relaxing lock back and forth over the cable a few times b4 using.
As Beav said though, dipping isn't necessary.
Posted By: sandhillscoyotes

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/04/18 05:01 AM

Ive been using the tan for two years now and has reduced denials to about none . Im in nothing but grass and dull grey cable stood out to much especially on snow its an extra step but my numbers have improved enough im gonna keep doing it .

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/05/18 03:17 AM

sandhill- do you dip your supports just like the cable itself?

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/08/18 01:09 AM

AJE yes i dip the snares and extensions first then the support wires and top of stake so as not to get any dirt or gunk in the dip that would compromise the snares speed . The dip seems to need done every year on rusty number nine wire left out in the elements year round this year i put a bunch of them away for the year in a big toolbox and they wont need to be redipped . The easiest way ive found to dip the supports is apiece of pvc pipe with a cap on one end and dig a foot deep hole with posthole diggers and fill it up with dip

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/08/18 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: sandhillscoyotes
The easiest way ive found to dip the supports is apiece of pvc pipe with a cap on one end and dig a foot deep hole with posthole diggers and fill it up with dip
Interesting. I could see that working.

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/08/18 03:52 AM

I don't dip my cable or paint It. And I don't dip or paint my stabilizers. In fact I go as far as wrapping a bit of pink duct tape around the top end so I can find them. Hasn't seemed to hurt my catch rate.

But I'm going to go out and paint some cable and do the same with my stabilizers and see If It makes a difference.

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/08/18 07:06 PM

hey Beav not to tell ya what to do but that paint smell might not air off of them in time for season ihave painted in spring to let air out for season but im after coyotes that are survivers for a reason not much room to stub your toe they wont get within ten feet of any thing that smells out of place
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/08/18 07:24 PM

I painted 12 CRs last year in October, just to see. Set them in January, Most where avoided but they got nailed in snares treated with walnut trap dye on the same trails. Lesson learned, paint early or don't.. They were sprayed with rustolium camo paint. Water base may be Okay.

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/08/18 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: sandhillscoyotes
hey Beav not to tell ya what to do but that paint smell might not air off of them in time for season ihave painted in spring to let air out for season but im after coyotes that are survivers for a reason not much room to stub your toe they wont get within ten feet of any thing that smells out of place

WE can't start hanging CRs till Dec 1st so do you think that will be long enough?
I'm only going to do a few just to see what all this painting Is all about.

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/09/18 02:50 AM

I used spray paint on the ones i did thats why i hung out so long latex may be a better option i would sure cut it if you do i double dipped some in dakotaline last year and had to break the locks loose with pliers they looked really good but i should have stopped at one coat I out smarted my self again lol As for the smell lenght of time two months might be pushing it i would just try a couple if you get denials change them out till next year best of luck to ya

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/09/18 03:45 AM

I will give both a try.

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 10/09/18 11:38 PM

Today I painted 6 CRs with a light tan spray paint. They look pretty good. They are know hanging out In the tree In the rain. We will see how they work out. Won't be using them till Dec 1st.

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 06/22/19 06:20 PM

Did you have a chance to test them, Beav, to see how they worked out?

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 06/22/19 08:05 PM

Actually I did a bunch more then 6.

They worked just fine. But the truth of the matter Is this. I caught just as many coyotes In treated as I did un treated. But the treated ones that didn't catch any coyotes survived the winter with out collecting any rust. And I just picked up some of them about 3 weeks ago. They had been closed down but I couldn't get to them because of all the wet weather we have been having.

So I just camoed 48 more this week and they are now airing out.

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 06/29/19 02:53 AM

Ok, thanks for the update.
Have you thought about spraying your beaver snares? Just curious. I know Dakota Line sells pre-treated beaver snares, that's what made me think of it.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 06/29/19 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Actually I did a bunch more then 6.

They worked just fine. But the truth of the matter Is this. I caught just as many coyotes In treated as I did un treated. But the treated ones that didn't catch any coyotes survived the winter with out collecting any rust. And I just picked up some of them about 3 weeks ago. They had been closed down but I couldn't get to them because of all the wet weather we have been having.

So I just camoed 48 more this week and they are now airing out.

How do you know how many you missed to figure your average on that? lol Or maybe you were more literal, meaning you caught X amount in each type of CR?
Posted By: 9wire

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 06/29/19 02:53 PM

I’ve caught LOTS of coyotes in snares that had only been spray painted a couple of weeks earlier...
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 06/29/19 04:53 PM

I use it with no problems, just add more water. Think its 2 to 1and i go 3 qts. Water to 1 qt. Dip. I always work the lock after its dry any way, put them in groups of 4 and hang on the back fence all summer . I use the earth tone .

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 07/04/19 04:57 AM

I like that Earth tone color from Dakota Line.
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 07/24/19 09:04 AM

Since this is water based, can it be used to dye traps set in water?

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 08/04/19 03:34 AM

I think it could.
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 08/04/19 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by oneoldboot

Yes.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 08/04/19 05:04 AM

I have used it for a few years now and id say its decent for water traps. In all fairness though, i probably havent had a good rust on anything when i dipped it. I have 7 dozen coils that have been dipped in the past but the spots on them that didnt “take” are now good and rusty after being outside a few weeks. Also, its no joke when it says on the can to not let this stuff freeze. I mustve this past year and it wont cover now.
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 08/04/19 08:52 AM

Thanks for the reponses!

Re: Dakota Line snare dip - 08/05/19 12:18 AM

Everyone talks about dips like FMJ, it seems. I think Dakota Line's dip is probably under-rated.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums