Home

What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box?

Posted By: steveWNY

What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/07/18 12:57 AM

I'm purchasing weasel boxes with rough dimensions of 5” high x 5” wide x 13” long, and like the idea of using snap-style rat traps, but also want to consider long spring options- like #1 or #1 1/2. The dexterity in my hands is not what it used to be, and I think the long springs might be a bit easier to handle. I was unsure if the 1 1/2 would fit in the box since I didn't have one handy. What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: AJE

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/07/18 12:58 AM

Posted By: bctomcat

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/07/18 01:27 AM

#1 but why not a rat trap?
Posted By: Taximan

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/07/18 05:57 PM

Joe,I can't say that long tails won't enter but at least here,I have had that problem.I only run a handful of weasel traps,if any so I don't have the numbers to draw strong conclusions from,as some do.I have usually been targeting long tails though.A couple years ago,a member from Utah,also reported having trouble getting long tails to go in boxes.It honestly makes no sense to me as all weasels are fearless and are in and out of holes all the time.

I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences with long tails and boxes.
Posted By: deerfly

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/08/18 01:50 AM

I like a 1.5 longspring. I use rat snap traps also but prefer the 1.5 long. Ive caught all 3 types of weasels in them. All in boxes with a 2" hole or smaller. I dont seem to have many long tails here as 1 in 100 will be a longtail. Most times for me the catch is made as the weasel is leaving the box. Fun critters to catch! Good luck
Posted By: Hern

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/08/18 03:35 AM

I trapped Weasels years back. Nowadays, we have a very low population.
I always use #0, in boxes.
Too large a foothold, will create body catches. Larger, rusty traps will stain fur. Its added work to remove rust stain from fur.
With a Rat snap trap, small piece of tubing can be placed on strike bar to prevent rust stain fur.

Posted By: rendezvous

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/08/18 11:18 AM

steveWNY, if you use #1 or #1-1/2, anchor it for the largest animal you might catch... coon, bobcat, fisher???

I prefer the rat traps, the large yellow pans too.

You can get them coming or going. I have only caught one longtail(CNY), but that was in a #155 set for Fisher.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/08/18 12:48 PM

Taximan and others...

For years, I read the threads and otherwise heard about the upper midwest guys hammering big numbers of weasels in the boxes, using either longsprings or rat traps. Periodically around where I live, we have good numbers of weasels (both long-tails and short-tails). Nearly half a century ago while marten trapping in Idaho, pretty much every time I'd see a weasel track, I could get it by nailing a rat trap to a tree about 2 feet above the snow level, pan down with a small chunk of meat wired to the pan. However, that method also resulted in quite a few bird catches, and is no longer legal (as it should be). I've taken many dozen weasels in Alaska and Idaho as incidentals in my mink and marten boxes. I wanted to take advantage of these high weasel numbers now that I'm back in Idaho, so I built 36 of the boxes with large-pan rat traps. Tried every conceivable bait, lure, bait/lure combination, etc. All were set on fresh sign. Had over 500 trapnights a couple winters ago. Often had fresh tracks actually bumping into the boxes, running all around, but virtually never going into the boxes. Finally caught one measly short-tail with over 500 trapnights. Was astounded that they wouldn't work. Talked to a few other trappers down here that pretty much had the same experience. Never did figure it out. Catching coyotes, wolves, grizzly bears, wolverine, even Siberian tigers and leopards? No problem. High numbers of the lowly weasel, even with tracks everywhere? Nope!

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/08/18 01:31 PM

rendezvous, I make my boxes with no bottom.
Then add lawn clippings

Weasel dropping in yellow circle

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/08/18 01:41 PM

Gulo states- Often had fresh tracks actually bumping into the boxes, running all around,
I also saw this reaction, when my brother & I were boys running a line. We solved that problem with blind sets. Some of our boxes ended up looking like additions to both sides or more like a small brush pile.
Even saw enough Fox circle boxes that took me years later to figure out to make Fox blind sets near my boxes. Back in those days, trapping info was hard to come by because folks were closed lipped.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/08/18 03:15 PM

Gulo,thanks for the information.I don't feel so crazy now.
Posted By: Boco

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/08/18 11:46 PM

Try a juice can with one side squashed flat,bait in the back and a 1.5 ls in front with the loose jaw held up with a nail thru top of can.
Been a long time since I used that killer set.

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/09/18 12:37 AM

I think for many reasons. I would think it centers them over your trap pan. Jumping down onto the 1.5 longspring on their way in or useing the pan as a platform before they jump out. I think the hole peaks their curiousity as far as their hunting style and natural habits. It also makes the set less likely to catch non-targets.
Although weasels are not trapshy i feel if you set a 1.5 longspring in a box flat like every other box you have seen with an open end without the hole one would miss far more. And probably pick up more non targets. I like 1.5 longsprings as well because they can be used on mink and muskrats as well.
Posted By: steveWNY

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/22/18 01:58 AM

Hi Joe- I ended up purchasing #1 LS, and will likely purchases some 1 1/5s as well.

Thanks to you and the rest of the folks for your feedback (and the weasel box pics as well).
Posted By: Charles2

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/22/18 10:57 AM

In PA, would rat snap traps be considered a body grip and therefore be required set in a watercourse as other BG traps are?

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/22/18 11:00 AM

Yep

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/22/18 11:08 AM

Longsprings for the boxes set everywhere else. Put up fresh chicken and beef liver along with beaver for bait, but am going to wait a few weeks to set. This will be my 1st year seriously trapping them and I am not sure when they change to their white color phase.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/22/18 11:34 AM

More than one trap per box is also a no-no in Pa.
I miss Joe from here, he kept us straight without throwing the book at us. Ned was that way too.

I could never find a definite "time" when they changed color. Caught a couple that were brown and white. Caught quite a few around chickens.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/22/18 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Charles2
Longsprings for the boxes set everywhere else. Put up fresh chicken and beef liver along with beaver for bait, but am going to wait a few weeks to set. This will be my 1st year seriously trapping them and I am not sure when they change to their white color phase.

I caught this longtail October 29th in a Fisher set, I am quite north of the PA border.
They are pretty interesting little critters, good luck to you!

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/22/18 12:56 PM

Thanks Rendzvous.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/22/18 03:39 PM

Good info, right there
Posted By: Pilgrim22

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/23/18 01:44 AM

I’ve always caught brown ones, never a white one even with snow on the ground
Posted By: steveadam

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/23/18 11:01 PM

Just a few observations from central NY.Longtails are less in numbers than shortails. Longtails like rock walls, esp
In the woods, cover a lot more ground. Shortail seem to like brushy lowland in my area. Caught a few longs in 220 pole sets for fisher. Dont seem to be all white till January in my neck of the woods. Those transition l ones can be sold to a taxidermist.
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/24/18 02:21 PM

1.5 longs. They act as body grips and the pan tension can be extremely light.
Posted By: saskbone

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/26/18 02:43 AM

Find sone of these. Flip the bar down and they are set. No fumbling around with the pan. No rusty spots on the bar. I mesh the back side on my boxes. One way in one way out. Also put a screen in for a bait holder for the bait thieving mice.

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/26/18 02:50 AM

Any older slopped out 1.5 longsprings work. Victor, B&L. I think the sleepy creek ones do not preform very well to begin with. $100+ dollars for a dozen isnt nessesary either as old user victors for around half the price are a far better trap and bargain.
Again the 1.5 jawspred is perfect for even short tail weasels. Throat and chest most all the time. I have not tryed #0's but do not think they would preform as well as far as dispatch goes.

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/26/18 10:38 AM

Joe Pennanti, BGs have to be set in a watercourse , swamp, slough etc boundry.....not necessarily submerged. Rats are not furbearers with defined seasons and the laws that cover furbearers do not apply in the example you used. I am in Northeast PA. I have seen weasels on trail cam but haven't caught one, but I hope to this year. Built 18 boxes similar to the post above with a screen to keep mice out of the bait. I may not catch a least or longtail but I am going to enjoy myself whatever I catch. Waxed #0,1 and 1 1/2 traps for the boxes so hopefully no stained fur and rat snaps for those in watercourse.
Posted By: waggler

Re: What Size Long Spring for Weasel Box? - 10/26/18 01:49 PM

Regarding brown versus white weasels. I used to occasionally catch a brown one late in the winter at 7000 foot elevation right near the timberline. This area is nearly at the 49th parallel, about as far north as you can get in the lower 48 States and has snow on the ground from early November until late May or June. The brown ones were always short tails, the long tails were always white.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums