Home

Poultry killing coyotes

Posted By: Ed the hunter

Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 12:40 AM

I've been asked to trap coyotes that have been killing poultry. Last night they tore open the coop and killed the last 25 birds. Apparently they left no carcasses behind. Does this sound like coyotes or dogs? Will they come back if I put bait in the coop, even if there are no live birds left?
Posted By: Ave

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 01:40 AM

I’m no expert, but it doesn’t sound like the work of a coyote to me.
Posted By: azcatter

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 01:40 AM

If it was dogs they would leave the dead birds yes that coyote will be back I would have a 330 waiting for him where they tore in. you may cover with wire loosely get a cheap baby rooster for bait a dirt hole out side the pen would work too. If you don't have a 330 make a double trap walk threw in the hole
Posted By: AJE

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 04:03 AM

I think they'll be back
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 04:21 AM

If they had easy pickings I'm sure they will be back.

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 04:26 AM

The owner breeds st. Bernards, so a 330 is out of the question. I have a spare rooster and a large metal dog crate she is willing to look after the rooster while I'm trapping there, so I'm goingbto put the rooster in the dog crate and leave it in her coop, and set set foot holds outside. She doesn't think her dogs will go inside the coop, so depending on what I see when I get there, I may set a snare in the opening where the coyotes went in.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 04:15 PM

that had to be a pack of yotes to eat 25 chickens in one nite!
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 04:16 PM

Yes a snare is the way to go in that situation. Dogs that are accustomed to a chain or leash seldom fight a snare hard enough to dispatch them self.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/14/18 05:06 PM

Maybe if you catch 1 the rest will see it in the snare and become scared of that spot. I agree it sounds like more than 1 K9.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/15/18 09:38 AM

Don't rule out humans. Tearing open a coop and carrying off 25 chickens doesn't sound like something coyotes would do.
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/15/18 10:48 AM

There will be "kill" rings of feathers where the coyotes grab them and bite their backs. You didn't say if these are juvenile or adult birds? You said poultry are these chicken's?

Scott

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/15/18 01:07 PM

1 hen, her two poults, one guinea hen and the rest were ducks. I went there yesterday to setup. Six ducks had come back. Found coyote tracks in the pen where the wire had been pulled back. Set a foothold at each location, a new rooster in a dog crate inside the building and then baited the pen with the fetus of a freshly miscarriages foal. Two of the owners three dogs discovered the pans within the first hour LOL, so I know I have the placement correct. Good thing I took the time to show her how to release them beforehand. T
Posted By: idahome

Re: Poultry killing coyotes - 10/16/18 02:36 PM

If possible set up a infer red trail cam outside the coup.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums