Home

Blending waxed sand?

Posted By: Vulpes94

Blending waxed sand? - 10/15/18 02:40 AM

Wondering if any of you have used the play sand from Home Depot that is very light in color for waxed sand? If so, how do you blend it without burying your set in native material (counter productive to freeze proofing the set). Also, if there is a better sand to purchase please include that. Thanks.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/15/18 10:13 AM

It really doesn't take that much native soil to blend well. Just a light dusting. Do you have a gravel pit nearby? There will almost always be sand in the gravel that is washed out. This washed sand works excellent.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/15/18 06:46 PM

Only takes avery light dusting of the soil at the set site. If there's ground duff like dead grass and chaff use enough of that to break up the trap bed outline. A little weather helps too. I use coarsers sand that is darker in color, Lowes has it, its used for mixing cement.

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/16/18 11:31 AM

Thanks for the tips guys! I was looking for the concrete cement because it's almost perfect but my local Home Depot didn't have any.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/16/18 12:45 PM

I use sand from my field. It is a light type of blow sand. It is also in the creeks around here and you can dig it easily. It happens to be close to our dirt color so I don't need to blend it much. Your try a local gravel pit too?

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/16/18 05:03 PM

Don't really know where my local gravel pit is.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/16/18 11:19 PM

Check your local golf coarse, they use the right stuff in sand traps. At times it gets replaced and they discard the old sand.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/16/18 11:49 PM

Dusting of native soil on top. I used my kids sandbox sand after he quit using it.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/16/18 11:51 PM

I went out this summer to where I trap and found lots of gopher mounds in a young pine plantation. I filled 12 five gallon Paul's in a short time. I then shifted it and waxed. Looks like a close match

Re: Blending waxed sand? - 10/17/18 11:27 AM

Thanks for the tips guys! I think my best bet is to find a close match and then break up the outline. Appreciate all the replies.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums