Posted By: AJE

A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/18/18 04:17 AM

A good option that is worthwhile?
Posted By: luvcanids

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/18/18 08:14 AM

Maybe, but beaver is far better.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/18/18 11:57 PM

OK but,fishers are an opportunistic hunter/scavenger. They prey on a wide variety of animals including hares, grouse, squirrels, birds and their eggs, berries, mice and voles and CARRION. Thus beaver with a stronger smell would be a much better choice.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 10:02 AM

2X on the Beaver- I use pure skunk essence on a wick as the attractor., make sure the wick doesn’t drip on the fur after the catch (personal experience)- I put it on a tree in back of a cubby
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 11:40 AM

Anything might work. heck, I have caught them on stinky water in a tilted down bucket. Key is stinky or odorous. Why a squirrel when one beaver will provide enough bait for a season of fisher trapping for most people. Also, is it a squirrel skinned or fur on? Beaver provides a ton of scent because it is so fatty and Meaty once chopped up. A squirrel skinned will dry out quite quickly, and with fur on I believe doesnt emit enough scent. I dont even use muskrats if I can help it because they dry out fast also. A chunk of beaver is about the best there is IMO.
Posted By: Newt

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 11:52 AM

When martin/fisher trap'n in Maine with Jerry Braley. He said there are only 3 baits that work for Martin/fisher.
They are
1-Beaver
2-Beaver
3-Beaver

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 12:36 PM

you forgot Beaver...
Posted By: JSell

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 05:12 PM

I like the squirrel tail in a cubby for a little visual appeal.
Posted By: Boco

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 05:46 PM

You put a squirrel in a box as bait you will catch more squirrels,thats about it.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 07:32 PM

I gather beaver works real good for fisher LOL. sorry I couldn't help myself grin

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 08:04 PM

Good on ya for picking up the subtleties in the previous replies trappergbus!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 08:35 PM

If your fisher trapping In WI just find all the bear baits In your area. Set cubbies and bait with what ever.
The squirrels and mice and other varmints are attracted to the bear bait (Bread and pastries)and that will attract the fisher. I've seen trail cam footage of lots of bear baits and you will see more fisher then you will bears. LOL
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/19/18 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Hutchy
Good on ya for picking up the subtleties in the previous replies trappergbus!

I catch on pretty quick for an old dude LOL..

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/20/18 12:42 AM

Do that after both have sat at 25 below for a couple days,out in the bush you wont have any doubt which is the better bait.The mouse meat will be dryer than a popcorn fart.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/20/18 12:51 AM

And that's a fact.

Know If your talking about a mouse urine soaked nest. That will out smell just about anything. And couldn't be more natural. And freezing won't cut down on the smell.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/20/18 12:57 AM

A guy I know swears that instead of a bird wing, a squirrel tail swaying in the breeze is a great attractor for cats.

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/20/18 02:13 AM

True-even a whole squirrel-no good as bait but good for flagging them in when suspended and visible from a distance.
Posted By: AJE

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/20/18 03:02 AM

If we use a squirrel as bait, or as an attractant, it can't be exposed if there's a trap within 25' of it.

Re: A squirrel for Fisher bait in a cubby - 10/21/18 12:45 AM

I think more northern\western(cold weather) trappers on here than southern.
Plus fisher is a northern animal,so cold is relevant when discussing bait.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums