Home

MB 650 setting tool

Posted By: scalloper

MB 650 setting tool - 10/31/18 12:43 AM

Do any of you use this tool? I bought one for my son years ago when he was young but i set them with my hands off of my Ranger tail gate or on the ground in no time. I really like the MB 650 for coyotes my favorite trap.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 10/31/18 02:32 AM

I have used it but have replaced it with a "One Hand Setter".
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 10/31/18 06:24 AM

I bought one but never used it much...seems dangerous if your grips slips, that it might fling that piece of steel like a spear.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 10/31/18 07:52 AM

I've used it. Not my favorite design, but it works and it fits in my small trapping bag.
Posted By: Nd native

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 10/31/18 01:36 PM

I have the setters you mentioned and use them all the time. Never had an issue with it slipping off or almost getting pinched, or anything with it. It looks like it could, but it doesn't.

Now getting my MB 650's to actually work properly has been another issue.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 10/31/18 01:53 PM

Nd I’ve got either 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 dozen 650’s and have yet to experience any of the difficulties that some people have discussed. I did buy two dozen from Seldom and he had modified them to cure a problem by using brass washers.

Back to the OP’s question , I have and use the newer version of MB’s setter that is kind of a one hand setter ( not quit like Dave’s ) it works well enough that if I lost it I would buy another .
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 10/31/18 08:05 PM

Dave's one hand setter work for both 550 and 650, never leave home without it. Don't use it much to set but it's real handy getting traps of yotes paws.. Dangit Golf, you the one that beat me to Seldoms 650s LOL wink

Good luck this season
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 10/31/18 09:07 PM

what about the setters for MB750? Same design it seems.
Posted By: BORGY

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/01/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: trappergbus
Dave's one hand setter work for both 550 and 650, never leave home without it. Don't use it much to set but it's real handy getting traps of yotes paws.. Dangit Golf, you the one that beat me to Seldoms 650s LOL wink

Good luck this season

Got a link for the 550 setters? With my arthritis the 550s are really hard to set by hand.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/01/18 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Traps R Us
what about the setters for MB750? Same design it seems.

One hand setters. The MB750 size also works for Jakes. Two thumbs up, no pinched sausages.
Posted By: OneHandSetters

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/01/18 02:10 PM

MB650/550 Setters/Bridger#2/Duke#2/plus other #2 size traps, and

No-BS K.O. X-Treme Setters/MB750/Jake Traps/CDR7.5/Bridger#3
Dave
Posted By: scalloper

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/06/18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by OneHandSetters
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

MB650/550 Setters/Bridger#2/Duke#2/plus other #2 size traps, and

No-BS K.O. X-Treme Setters/MB750/Jake Traps/CDR7.5/Bridger#3
Dave

Very nice. You may have just changed my mind.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/06/18 11:36 PM

dave's one hand setters are the bee's knees for sure.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/08/18 06:08 AM

Last year I ordered from Dave a setter for MB750. Wow, they are smooth like butter! Easy to use! Because of the design of setting the trap from underneath, is the greatest for removing the trap from the beaver’s foot.
Posted By: 653

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/08/18 03:57 PM

looks like a cool tool for an old guy! who is dave and how can I get one.. 550s are tough on arthritic hands

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/13/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 653
looks like a cool tool for an old guy! who is dave and how can I get one.. 550s are tough on arthritic hands

Buy them! Use them once and you'll never be without a pair.

davidfsheldonjr@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/onehandsetters/
Posted By: Calvin

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/13/18 03:45 PM

God put 650 setters on the bottom of your ankles.

I honestly can't understand why guys refuse to just step on these traps.

I have the setters for when the 750s lock up when your waist deep in water but 650s are a land trap. Even in mud, I've just tossed my trowel down so they don't squish into the mud.

I'm convinced some guys just like gadgets.

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/13/18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin

I have the setters for when the 750s lock up when your waist deep in water but 650s are a land trap. Even in mud, I've just tossed my trowel down so they don't squish into the mud.

Reasons no one needs an item, then a reason why you use one. An odd comment...
Posted By: BORGY

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/15/18 12:21 AM

I got my setters last week and I think a toddler could set 10 dozen traps and never get tired. Way better then the setters that come with the mb650's for sure! Definately money well spent.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/15/18 12:40 AM

Calvin you are from the frozen north , how would you know what mud is ? ,! Lol ! When it gets muddy around here you would need an extra trowel to dig your trowel out !
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/23/18 02:39 PM

I got Dave’s setters for my 750’s and my 550’s.
At the end of the day my hands thank me and I in turn thank him.

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/23/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
Originally Posted by Calvin

Reasons no one needs an item, then a reason why you use one. An odd comment...

C mon, serious? Land trap = No.....Waist deep with a beaver in a 750 (different than the 650) sure. Sheese.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/23/18 10:02 PM

The jake 1 hand setters will set coyote cuffs and k9 extremes as well.

Save your hands for skinning.
Posted By: 080808

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/23/18 10:21 PM

2X

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/23/18 10:42 PM

Trapperman Calvin,I can agree to a point and use to think that way when I was younger,for sure.But now,at. Age 69,though I can set 650's and 750's with my feet,my back and knees give out after setting 6-8 traps.That is a poor day's production.With Dave's setters,I can go all day and get somuch more done and without a lot of pain at the end of the day.Using the setters,I have put in 25 wolf sets in a day (750's)and didn't feel worse for the wear.
I have also had situations where a catche's foot was jammed up against a lever and you could not get a finger in there for love or money but the setters would alwaysslide in there.I have also had this problem with large non-targets and the One Hand setters saved the day.So,I try to remember to carry them when checking as well.

On the other side of the coin,they are also a huge help when. Doing certain work on the traps like taking the sharp edges off jaw surfaces.

I'm still in decent health but Dave's setters have been a Godsend due to some arthritus in hands,knees and back.I. promise you, there are many trappers with worse physical problems,some much younger and these setters keep them inthe game.In this day where we are battling to save our trapping heritage,we can't afford to lose trapper numbers and Dave's setters help many stay in the game.That's no small thing.

Keep in mind,there are younger people and lady trappers that struggle setting those traps and those setters can be the great equalizer for them.

Some food for thought.

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/23/18 11:00 PM

You, Sir....are exempt. Keep on trapping! I'm happy to hear you're still at it.

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/24/18 01:48 AM

Thanks Calvin.I can use all the help I can get!

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/24/18 01:58 AM

I need an exemption too. I can skin 5 yotes in an hour and a half, and drink 3 beers, but cant set a jake over my knee. My wife can though, thats why she is the boss.

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/24/18 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper
I need an exemption too. I can skin 5 yotes in an hour and a half, and drink 3 beers, but cant set a jake over my knee. My wife can though, thats why she is the boss.

Ha!

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/24/18 02:27 AM

It is not funny. I need that exemption.

eek

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/24/18 02:28 AM

I also need a stake puller. I am tired of digging those superstakes out with a sharpshooter.
Posted By: Thumb Catcher

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/24/18 05:40 AM

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/24/18 05:11 PM

Being disproportionately long legged, I've found the one hand setters invaluable when short chained to the ground and my god given setters are out of reach. grin
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/24/18 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
Being disproportionately long legged, I've found the one hand setters invaluable when short chained to the ground and my god given setters are out of reach. grin

Like having my strong hand in a short chained 550 in a step down dirt hole... yeah, that was fun.

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/26/18 03:22 AM

Eastwood - that must have caused some interesting pondering. Did you ever escape? Ha, just kidding. Being serious, how did you get free? That has never happened to me, but that is one of the reasons why I extended the chains on my 550s. I got tired of everything being so close and tight with short chains.

In about 1979, Charles Dobbins convinced me to shorten the chains on my fox traps to a box swivel and 3 double links of machine twist chain, and stake through the last link. No lunging or pullouts. Foxes barely had room to shrug their eyebrows!

Last year a 330 bit me across the hand where fingers attach. It closed tightly and would not slide over my knuckles. I could not unfasten it. Fortunately I had a Leatherman tool in my pocket where I could retrieve it. Used the file to cut a groove about 3/4 thru one jaw. That was incredibly tedious and slow. Then I could bend the jaw enough to remove my sore hand. I really felt stupid at the time.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/27/18 06:24 AM

Willy Firewood
You just reminded me that I need to practice a little with my safety rope I carry with me when trapping with body grips. If you had one with you, you could have been out of that trap in way less time. Paul made a believer out of me having one with you all the time. Also it can be used to carry a beaver out of the swamp.

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 11/27/18 11:01 AM

Hi Leary,

I agree that a rope is essential and I usually carry one. However, that day I did not.

Every situation can be different. When it went off I was in approximately knee deep water. I could have threaded the rope thru the spring eyes and gotten wet which is no problem. If I had a rope with me, I could have gotten out quicker and easier.

Fortunately, I made it about 40 years before being bitten by a 330. Hopefully never again.

Best wishes.
Posted By: OneHandSetters

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 12/02/18 02:55 PM

Thank You all for the Good Word, The One Hand Setters sell them selves once you try them!
For those that do not need setters, God Bless you!
But remember, some day you will be in my shoes!
Thanks
Dave
Posted By: Posco

Re: MB 650 setting tool - 12/02/18 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper
I also need a stake puller. I am tired of digging those superstakes out with a sharpshooter.

I have this one and it works great. Yanks the super stakes without a lot of effort. https://www.minntrapprod.com/The-Beast-Stake-Puller/productinfo/T-BEAST/

I have Dave's setters...one set for the 750s and one for the 550s. Love them!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums