Home

Not Catching Much

Posted By: Minker2000

Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 01:31 AM

I hope everyone is enjoying trapping season. I just wanted to ask everyone a question. Has anyone ever experienced a year where they don't catch as much as they did in previous years? This is my 4th year trapping and I'm not catching a ton. I caught more the year before than I have been this year. I feel like I've read so much more on trapping and gained more experience in this last year. I've been enjoying this year but it is getting slightly discouraging. Has anyone else ever experienced catching less than when they started? Thank you for reading.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 01:50 AM

Having a tough year here too, it's just one if those things I guess

Just keep trapping and do what worked in the past
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 02:01 AM

It's like fishing or hunting.
There are those times when you just don't connect for some unknown reason...
Posted By: Boco

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 02:08 AM

You cant catch what aint there.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 02:24 AM

Things change year to year, weather is different, crops are different, moon is different.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Things change year to year, weather is different, crops are different, moon is different.

X2 And this is why they call it trapping and not shopping. No guarantees!
Posted By: red mt

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 03:00 AM

Minker this will happen if you trap same places every year in my experience.
Try adding 25 to 40% more permission a each year to keep up catch rate.
Or let areas rest 2to 3 years and come back if you have that option.
Target only certain critters maybe.
But this a good year for not catching as much as the market is off.
Posted By: Minker2000

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 03:25 AM

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I guess I just wanted some reassurance that this happens occasionally with other trappers.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 04:14 AM

And I thought it was just me crazy Crops came out real early this year and it's been colder than normal with snow 2 or 3 times already. I just keep at it and hope it turns around,
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 04:51 AM

Our populations on rats and coon are way down and I will not catch what I normally do. Make the best of it and seek out more ground if possible.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Our populations on rats and coon are way down and I will not catch what I normally do. Make the best of it and seek out more ground if possible.

Come trap the Jordan river with me in utah. The rats are out of control. Lol
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/15/18 10:08 PM

This happens all the time. This season I am catching
Muskrats in places that I didn't last year due to high water and rain. By the same token some of my favorite locations have produced poorly or not at all. Marshes shift and vegetation that was in one place last year is gone. There is thin ice now so the telltale bubble trails make it a lot easier. As for other critters time will tell. This is why I trap.
Posted By: Death dealer

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/16/18 12:46 AM

All I hear is a bunch of trappers making excuses on why they arnt catching much few good solid answers most just excuses
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/16/18 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Death dealer
All I hear is a bunch of trappers making excuses on why they arnt catching much few good solid answers most just excuses

I don't catch much because I suck at trapping...
Posted By: SwoleTrapper

Re: Not Catching Much - 11/26/18 03:11 AM

I live on the edge of a city and I think I am the only guy trapping for many miles in any direction at my spot. If I dont have a good year its because I am doing something wrong. We're infested with Fox and Raccoon. The fox hang out in groups of 2-5. The deer are walking our streets every night, but I have no way to shoot them with anything without violating a law. So frustrating.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums