Home

mud coyote trapping

Posted By: crowspond

mud coyote trapping - 11/15/18 01:00 PM

trapping in edges of farm land trying to bed traps in mud really ruff what do you guys use under trap and to sift over trap mud in my sifter isnot working watched youtube video and guy using peat moss was it the kind you get at lowes his was really dryand looked more like dry coffee any sugestions apprecated do you use canvas --- jersey gloves or stiff rubber black farming chemical gloves trying on to catch coyotes for sport thanks crowspond
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/15/18 01:40 PM

I get the nitrile furniture refinishing gloves for soggy land trapping. Lot easier to handle traps and tools with those over the normal things sold for trapping.
Posted By: Hunter23

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/15/18 01:40 PM

i use wax dirt and rubber palmed gloves.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/15/18 11:57 PM

Waxed dirt under trap, peat inside jaws and waxed dirt over all
Posted By: Red89

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/18/18 05:16 AM

I use old dry horse manure to bed in and cover the trap, then a light sifting of dirt on top to blend it in. The manure acts just like the peat moss, as in it's impossible to bed the trap solid, so you will have dig ups unless you power bed your traps. As for gloves, I just use regular leather work gloves. Or none at all. Mud can be rough to trap in, especially with freeze thaw like we have often. Good luck to you and happy trappin.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/18/18 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
Waxed dirt under trap, peat inside jaws and waxed dirt over all

This.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/19/18 11:24 PM

If it's super muddy make a small trap bed (Power Bed) and push the trap tight into the bed so it can't move. Put screen wire over the trap and in between the jaws and cover it with grass clippings. Any more rain will pass right through. If you are getting lots of rain make a hole under your trap so water can drain into the hole. The less you work the dirt the better your bed will be.
Even with waxed dirt your trap can sometimes squirt right out of the bed if a coyote steps on the side of it because there is sometimes just too much water.
Sometimes some gravel in the bottom of the bed is needed if the ground is really sloppy.
OR maybe water sets?
Posted By: Furvor

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/20/18 03:24 AM

Some areas here melting ice on sunny days makes mud that freezes at night. I have had luck with coyote by using 4" lengths of lath under trap springs and free jaw, open space under trap to catch water, aluminum window screen pan cover, scant amount of grass covering (with a very small amount of dirt to keep grass from blowing away). That's my adaptation of Pipe Dream Set bedding method. Departing from convention, I let pan covers extend a quarter inch or so over trap jaws to give the grass cover better support. With an animal foot on trap pan the pan cover will not be caught in trap jaws.

It takes longer to explain the method than to make the set.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/20/18 12:07 PM

I've used the peat that did come from Lowe's. It worked well for me and where I'm at is farmland and muddy most of the time. When you get rain just put more peat on set and roll. I have rubber coated gloves I get from work for setting.
Posted By: crowspond

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/21/18 01:16 PM

had traps set for 1 week been checking with binoculars no luck may move some this weekend or may just rebait and re urine and lave them another week but I hate to get my scent around them again
Posted By: Teacher

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/27/18 11:54 PM

Sometimes it takes a week or more to make that first catch. Sometimes it’s several weeks. Don’t despair.

I’ve power bedded with nails but I do better by pounding the sides of the bed towards the jaws. If you spray 50/50 glycol and water on this soil, it won’t freeze and keep the jaws down. I do use waxed dirt in the bowl and peat moss between the jaws, also.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: mud coyote trapping - 11/28/18 02:04 PM

Save dry dirt for trapping, gopher mound dirt works good
© 2024 Trapperman Forums